Is Pattaya proving to be bullet proof to high season slumps?

webfact

Is Pattaya proving to be bullet proof to high season slumps?

By Dan Cheeseman

pattaya-bullet-proof.jpg?w=762&ssl=1

If you have been reading Thaivisa or traveled recently to different areas in Thailand you would have noticed a few more people arriving for high season, but some regions are not getting what they expected.

The Thaiger media in Phuket is asking ‘where is everyone?’, whilst in Hua Hin local media are asking the same question too. Speaking to a local hotelier, Koh Chang is reporting business as usual with levels at an ‘OK’ level.

Pattaya on the other hand has been much more bouyant with bars in Soi LK reporting huge custom with some customers unable to even find a seat! If you saw my video posted on Dan about Thailand Facebook earlier in the week of Bali Hai pier where I could not move for all the Chinese, a direct contrast to reports of reports of Chinese tourism being down. It would seem Pattaya is having a good high season.

Bryan Flowers, CEO for the Night Wish Group who have 22 bars in Pattaya, says “We are seeing a lot more Asian customers especially Koreans, our sales are up year on year”.

chinese-pattaya.jpeg?resize=768,431&ssl=

You could not move on Bali Hai for all the Chinese tourists – Dec 2018

Now true my thesis is absolutely based on observation and feedback from fellow expats and business people, but it does look as though Pattaya will – unlike other regions – have a good high season this year.

What makes Pattaya so different?

I always think Pattaya is underrated by many casual observers, yet those in the know have long thought ‘new’ Pattaya just offers too much not to be a big tourist draw.

Full story: https://danaboutthailand.com/2018/12/19/is-pattaya-proving-to-be-bullet-proof-to-high-season-slumps/

-- DAN ABOUT THAILAND 2018-2018-12-19

• Like 1

I have only been to Pattaya twice and the high/dual price was enough for me as I'm living and working here in Thailand, it just mead me feel "NAH" about Pattaya. When they try to charge me 80-100 Baht for a small plate, like an appetizer, with som tam, while I pay 30 Baht where I live, and then it's enough som tam for me to eat as a single dish (even without rice) for lunch or dinner... then at least I have a problem to find any motivation to go there!

• Haha 1

Soi LK reporting hugh custom ha ha. I was on there the other night and one of the a go gos was offering free beer to attract customers. Even with that there were only 4-5 people in there. This is a week before Christmas.
I think the free beer came to you in a dream. Thai custom is to increase not decrease when going is slow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BestB said:

LK Metro is the only busy place on Soi Buakhao, Take a drive up and down the street and its all empty seats.

Does that mean Metro has good bars and all the rest are bad? 

No, it means your post is BS.

I drove thru the entire street last night at 10 pm and there were people everywhere.  In the bars, markets, walking on the street.

Maybe a few did not have many customers that that is pretty normal when every other spot is a bar.

Lots of places were full of customers try again maybe you will get it right....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

And yet the TAT and friends literally are falling over each other to cater to Chinese tourist. Yeah sure, look at those numbers in bodiest like you said, bodies don't equate to spending.  All tourists are not created equal.  So Big Joke and friends simply are playing a numbers game.  "Look at the number of tourists, especially our friends the Chinese!!!", but most business on the street level will admit that sales suck wind.   Keep telling Western tourists and expats that they are persona non-grata.  After a while - they do get the message.  ????  That's then reflected in declining tourism revenues at the street level.  
So, good job Big Joker and crew!!!  :thumbsup:  Keep patting yourselves on the back during these photo-ops as ya'll manufacture a rosy, bright narrative.  Then they start padding tourist numbers that are inclusive of Thai touring in their own country.  <laughs>  Yeah - the futures so bright TAT needs to wear shades.

The dwindling income at street level is hugely uninteressant, only the little people feel the punch, they don't matter.

High numbers of Chinese tourists generate a high income at the top level.

And in China, of course.

And that's is where it counts, right?

Edited by hansnl

21 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

No, it means your post is BS.

I drove thru the entire street last night at 10 pm and there were people everywhere.  In the bars, markets, walking on the street.

Maybe a few did not have many customers that that is pretty normal when every other spot is a bar.

Lots of places were full of customers try again maybe you will get it right....

Really ? And I drive through on nightly basis at 11 as I work around the corner and its empty , so who is posting bs?????

oh and just out of curiosity what markets did you see on soi buakhao? The one that closes at 8-9 or another imaginary one?

Edited by BestB
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, BestB said:

Really ? And I drive through on nightly basis at 11 as I work around the corner and its empty , so who is posting bs?????

oh and just out of curiosity what markets did you see on soi buakhao? The one that closes at 8-9 or another imaginary one?

How about the Night Market on the left-hand side before the bend and towards Pattaya Klang?

35 minutes ago, hansnl said:

The dwindling income at street level is hugely uninteressant, only the little people feel the punch, they don't matter.

High numbers of Chinese tourists generate a high income at the top level.

And in China, of course.

And that's is where it counts, right?

The Chinese use the old Day Night hotel (I think it is now called City Boutique Hotel?) off Pattaya Tai. The area outside is a coach parking area. Number of coaches seen this season quite patchy in comparison to last year.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

How about the Night Market on the left-hand side before the bend and towards Pattaya Klang?

The one where Tonys gym is located? thats not night market. it closes 8 or 9 this is why its all dark with no one around ????

6 hours ago, madmen said:

I think the free beer came to you in a dream. Thai custom is to increase not decrease when going is slow

I didn't see "free", but a couple of joints were advertising 39 baht bottled domestic.

Cheap enough to entice even me!????

(I cannot usually drink because of medicine)

Edited by Bill Miller
  • Like 2