Trump says U.S. government shutdown to last until agreement on border wall

webfact

Trump says U.S. government shutdown to last until agreement on border wall

2018-12-25T154825Z_1_LYNXNPEEBO0FH_RTROPTP_3_USA-TRUMP-SHUTDOWN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks with reporters after holding a video call with U.S. military service members in the Oval Office on Christmas morning in Washington, Dec. 25, 2018. REUTERS/James Lawler Duggan/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday said the partial shutdown of the federal government was going to last until his demand for funds to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border is met.

The U.S. government partially shut down on Saturday, and there is not yet any sign of tangible efforts to reopen agencies closed by a political impasse over Trump's demand for border wall funds.

"I can't tell you when the government is going to reopen," Trump said, speaking after a Christmas Day video conference with U.S. troops serving abroad. "I can tell you it's not going to reopen until we have a wall, a fence, whatever they'd like to call it. I'll call it whatever they want, but it's all the same thing. It's a barrier from people pouring into the country, from drugs."

He added: "If you don't have that (the wall), then we're just not opening."

Funding for about a quarter of federal programs - including the departments of Homeland Security, Justice and Agriculture - expired at midnight on Friday. Without a deal to break the impasse, the shutdown is likely to stretch into the new year.

Building the wall was one of Trump's most frequently repeated campaign promises, but Democrats are vehemently opposed to it.

(Reporting by Makini Brice; writing by Yeganeh Torbati, editing by G Crosse)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-26
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, keemapoot said:

Trump has more to lose on this than the Dems. The Dems are waiting out Jan. 3, when the house changes hands. Trump proudly owns the shutdown and voters will place the blame on him in the end. He is the one who angrily ensconsed himself with just his iphone and twitter in the White house alone Christmas eve like Scrooge, and then just like the Grinch who stole Christmas, proceeded to break a child's heart by telling him Santa isn't real.

Bah Humbug!

Trump is definitely a loose cannon and as the stock markets keep dropping , he will get the blame for that too, as he bragged about the rise being due to him. 

As for the wall being an election promise , as so many state, ARE WE FORGETTING THAT MEXICO WAS GOING TO PAY ? 

As for Santa, it’s time to wake up. The fat white man with flying reindeers bringing presents that Big Dept stores actually sell to parents, it’s a Xmas big business created. Bad enough we have to swear ( and why just the right hand! ) on a book that is full of contradictions and far fetched stories! So Trump does do some things right. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, garyk said:

Buy while you have a chance!!  Never have I see so much opportunity in the market.

13 minutes ago, Tug said:

Garyk I sincerely hope you are rite 

I will wait, as the shit will hit the fan. Debt is far worse than 2007-08, and we are due for a biggie. And we installed war mongers. War is the greatest reset of bad decisions and huge money for our Central Banksters .

• Like 1

Demos and Republicans should include a bit of cash in budget earmarked for "Implementing treaty developed with Mexico for Mexican funding of border wall".  He promised Mexican payment, here's some cash to "make it so".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The wall is never going to happen. He needs to let it go. It will be part of his undoing. He is on his way out. He will serve as a lame duck for the next two years, and will either not run again, be ousted or impeached, or resign before the next election, or he will not have the support of his party, who will finally wake up, and realize this man is a human wrecking ball, and an unhinged non genius, racist fool. He is a liability at this stage. He needs to be removed by whatever means necessary, before he destroys the nation and the economy. 

Next year is going to be a reckoning. Whatever sort of drunk reaction the markets had to the massive tax break to corporations, has been offset by his tax hikes, in the form of large tariffs, and this inane trade war he started. Expect the Dow to drop much, much further. Also, the housing market in the US is weakening. I expect home prices to drop by as much as 50% in some areas over the next few years. A coming recession? Lets hope that is all it is. 

Trump is going to pay a stiff price for this "Trump shutdown". 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Brickbat said:

I will wait, as the shit will hit the fan. Debt is far worse than 2007-08, and we are due for a biggie. And we installed war mongers. War is the greatest reset of bad decisions and huge money for our Central Banksters .

I am waiting on the US stocks at present, I am zeroing in on China at present. 

On a side note, my dad used to say the same thing.

Edited by garyk

Posts containing offensive references to Trump have been removed.  If you do want your post to be removed, spell people's names correctly.  

If you're going to post in a profane manner, your post will be removed, a profane post and the replies were removed. 

To me he looks like the little naughty kid in 7-11, crying and stomping the feet until it gets the sweets.

????????????

It seems this “naughty kid” will get what he wants, not only at 7-11 but also at congress. 

At least he got some balls.

Edited by The Theory
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

“Most people in the USA couldn't give a flying fart about the Wall, they want jobs and stability and a chance for a better life. What do they have instead? Trump and a government shut down.

The rich don't care as they will always be rich.”

????????????

welcome to reality of “capitalism”. 

All people are somehow slave of the system, but this has brought us to be the number one in the world. Don’t think too much as an individual, you may die early by depression.  

Edited by The Theory
  • Like 1