AMLO seizes ‘Phoenix’, plans to sell by auction

webfact

19 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Scrap metal value, it will cost more to haul it to the wreckers yard than what they will get for it sold as scrap metal at 1 baht a kg...

How much metal is in it, it is constructed with fibre glass I believe.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, scorecard said:

If they want to appease the not surprising wrath of the Chinese tourists here, the families who lost loved ones when the preventable tragedy happened and potential tourists and the Chinese government, seems to me the right thing to do is ensure it can never sail again - break it up / scrap it, blow it up or whatever.

I really think the Chinese tourists or authorities don't care, and the families of those perished won't know. Future tourists will be herded on the boat they were sold their trip on, and nobody will know which boat or what happened to it.

Does anybody know what happened to the real owner of the tour company involved? When this was starting to unfold he fled to China, leaving his wife hang out to dry here, gave a newspaper interview and afaik he is still a free man in China.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Sounds like a popular auction... if moved to another country, change the name of the vessel, camouflage or change the appearance....etc.  Not many superstitious Thai, Chinese (or otherwise) will touch it with a 10ft pole....jinx anyone?

Yes indeed - a real "Ghost Ship".  Probably be recycled in a Bangladeshi ship yard and "rise" as an Indonesian Ferry!

• Like 1