New Year anti-drunk driving campaign begins

webfact

16 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Sarcasm has nothing to do with this. It's about tourists/foreigners who think think they can drive without a license whilst the're visiting Thailand. Why do you have issues with this? Would they drive bikes in their home country without a license? I don't think so.

The UK allow me to drive with my Thai licence would it not be good for this to be possible here as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Maybe if the Farangs had the Thai licences they wouldn't have lost 500 Bt....But of course as usual...it's the naughty police that were in the wrong.

Back in your country, do police not care if you have a valid licence or not?

The point not the license thai or international by the way thai license requirements a joke compared with european. The point is the reckless drunk drivers during all year not just a holiday season!

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Never got caught. It is after all illegal to drive without a Thai License over such a period.

I’v checked several times by police all around Thailand never had problem with my eu license they check my categories Is ok and let me go!

18 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

imagine how well they would do if the other 99% of the check points got off their bums and actually did testing rather than play on their phones.

...Or mobile patrols catching drivers swerving in lanes, crossing in no passing zones, speeding, reckless driving and so on. Then again, there is an absence of proactive traffic enforcement and seemingly no will to adopt such measures.

18 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Sarcasm has nothing to do with this. It's about tourists/foreigners who think think they can drive without a license whilst the're visiting Thailand. Why do you have issues with this? Would they drive bikes in their home country without a license? I don't think so.

so the responsability of allowing the rent of vehicles to foreigners for howmany decades now should fall on whos shoulders? Its a 2way street. Wheres the fines for the renters? The guys post clearly is showing the difference between what police are doing and what they should be doing and that is clamping down on drunk drivers.

Most foreigners believe they are legally allowed to ride scooters. Most that arent tourists have licenses or just stupid.

Its not soley the foreigners fault.

Another question is would thais ride and drive illegally elsewhere? Answer is some do but certainly werent rented to!!

4 minutes ago, Benmart said:

...Or mobile patrols catching drivers swerving in lanes, crossing in no passing zones, speeding, reckless driving and so on. Then again, there is an absence of proactive traffic enforcement and seemingly no will to adopt such measures.

Riding up the inside does my head in, yesterday it happened were I want to turn left I had my indicator on and I was watching her in my mirror she had no intentions of slowing down or stopping

I’m in a car right now driving from Krabi to Satun and have driven through at least 10 check points, maybe more. Not one policeman is stopping anyone. They are all sitting under tents and doing exactly what you’d expect them to do.

Perhps they will come out when the sun goes down.

10 minutes ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

It amazes me how they do not accept a European driving licence; the requisites for obtaining one are far higher than those required to obtain a Thai driving licence!

They do accept a european license but if you live here and no longer a tourist you have to get a Thai dp.

Same rules as in Europe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Maybe if the Farangs had the Thai licences they wouldn't have lost 500 Bt....But of course as usual...it's the naughty police that were in the wrong.

Back in your country, do police not care if you have a valid licence or not?

Back in my country police pull everyone over with no special treatment for anyone especially the locals.....If the police did the same here people would not mind as much!!

17 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

This isn't an "anti-drunken driving campaign" this is arresting drunk drivers. A campaign against drink driving should have started weeks ago with wall to wall hard hitting adverts on billboards and tv! When will this nation ever learn.

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

When will this nation ever learn..........How long have you got?

19 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Why the rental shops give car or bikes without a valid driving lisence? It´s their fault.

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The car and bike rental company where we send the farang tourist to, will not rent if you dont have a license and a International Permit, they have been fined, I know because I took two farang to get a car and the guy in the office told me

I live in Phuket and if you need a car in Rawai or Naiharn, they ask, but they don´t know: is it valid or not. A car driver lisence is not valid for motorbikes. They have no idea.

15 minutes ago, Udo Zickler said:

Why the rental shops give car or bikes without a valid driving lisence? It´s their fault.

Why should it be their fault. Foreigners (farangs) should know, and they do, that they need a valid DL for their rented vehicles. The thing is they take advantage of the 'relaxed' policy regarding driving without a valid DL (200-500 fine) in Thailand, but when they get involved in an accident and their insurance won't cover their hospital bills, they cry their eyes out and let family members/friends organize a GoFundMe rescue.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Sirichan said the number of wrongdoers and seized vehicles were on the rise.

So their measures are having a less than zero effect. So now what is the plan? How about a week in jail? That might discourage drink-driving, although I doubt it. Thais will always what they want to do, regardless of the possible consequences. Just part of the culture.

And Graeme, sorry, you are wrong this should be in place all year.

This is one of the major problems with Thai roads,

They think they can get away with if for the other 46 weeks a year.

The amount of vehicles seized obviously should tell the police a story,, that their education programmes are just not working

Obviously the police checkpoints can't control the deaths on the road as there have already been 44. Just like nearly everything in Thailand, the checkpoints are just for show.  Solutions?  I dunno.  Perhaps enforce the drunk driving laws all year round? 

The majority of deaths and accidents in Thailand are caused by speed.  Thais drive way too fast everywhere and the roads are not properly maintained for high speeds.  When a driver cannot stop in time for an incident that is occurring the result is an accident.

Drink Driving may be a contributing factor but not the main one.  The majority of accidents are caused by motorcycles driven by locals who-

A.  Drive too fast

B.  Tailgate

C.  Change lanes abruptly

D.  No lights

E.  Wrong way.

F.   Improper Turns.

Instead of silly checkpoints which are solely for making money- Thailand needs either a motorcycle patrol/patrol cars that constantly go after speeders - 

They also need a year round public relations campaign about driving as well as driver education in High Schools. the designated driver concept needs to be drilled into Thai minds when they are young.

Foreigners are not the problem at all- except the 2 week millionaires who rent bikes they don't know how to drive and also drink while using them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Is it actually Thai law that foreigners need a international license, or is a UK license adequate for a tourist for a few weeks, and is it compulsory to carry said documents at all times if out on the roads,

Please, I would like to know what the law states, ?????????

On 12/28/2018 at 4:17 PM, Vacuum said:

Another typical, stupid TV "Super Smart Expert" comment! (Vacuum in the brain) Lol

They couldn't even rent one, without a license in their home country! That's the point.

The "other" point is, that most tourists guessing, they can drive here with an "international DL", what is definitely (!) NOT true!

And Motorbike Rentals, should know that and obey Thai law by themselves!

Instead of keeping the passport (definitely not allowed}, they should ask for a proper DL and deny the rental, if it's not provided.

I don't care, how many TV "Experts" will know it better!

Evidence: Getting fined, for not having a "Thai" license!

If you have a major accident, you'll learn for sure! Because it's written in the "small letters", in most of the rental contracts.

It means: Pay, pay, pay...

Edited by Maitdjai
  • Like 1