Death toll rises to 236 in first four “dangerous” days

17 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The major causes of accidents were drunk driving at 42.42 per cent, followed by speeding at 27.99 per cent.

So cutting drunk driving and speeding – which should be possible by control and heftig fines – could result in a decrease of up to 70 percent in traffic accidents...:whistling:

11 hours ago, smedly said:

I just got home from a night out and had tried very hard to get a MB taxi rider that wasn't drunk so I walked home, pretty much everyone I saw driving or riding was very obviously drunk, in Pattaya that is no exception except in volume - there was a huge amount of drunk traffic - in Pattaya city they can't do much harm as it is grid locked but once these people get beyond the traffic jams people will die

"there was a huge amount of drunk traffic"

Just how do you know that the traffic was drunk?

3 hours ago, smedly said:

if we didn't have police actively enforcing traffic laws in the west it would be no better

The are two very simple questions to ask that make this whole thing very easy

- why do we have traffic laws ?

- why do we have police ?

1. To get tea money.

2. To get tea money.

Think the penalties handed out are "soft", i.e. banned from going in evenings, 6 months driving ban.

Given the high number of deaths & injuries, penalties need to be harsh to make people realise the seriousness of the situation!! Need to get the offenders & potential offenders off the roads!!! 

It’s easy to rag on Thailand for car accident deaths but to be honest, the number of deaths per 100,000 isn’t all that much different than states like Wyoming and Mississippi in the US that have highly developed traffic laws and steep penalties for breaking said laws. Thailand has 36 deaths per 100,000 people. Wyoming has 29 deaths per 100,000 people. I mean, Thailand may have the 2nd highest rate of car accident deaths in the world but that’s because they include motorcycle deaths in these statistics. Remove the mortorcyle deaths from these statistics and Thailand vehicle safety starts to look pretty good. I would be far more afraid driving in Wyoming or Mississippi where motorcycles are rare and everyone drives around in big beefy trucks. Wyoming is at 29 deaths per 100,000 and good luck finding a motorcycle in Wyoming. In Thailand, it’s easy to stay alive, just drive an SUV. In Wyoming and Mississippi, driving around in a big SUV doesn’t seem to be good enough. 

But of course, the whole point of thaivisa is to beat up on Thailand and rag on the Thais as if they are inferior beings or something.

When will they realize that check points will not help.

They need to get 1,000 mufti cars on the road to see what goes on in the actual traffic

& without enforcing the law FOR ALL, the carnage will continue.

A Very Happy, Healthy New Year Everyone ...... Stay Safe

5 hours ago, Ossy said:

where the hell is the rule that says Flash your lights at oncoming traffic to shift out of your way when overtaking

Believe it or not when I went for my thai drivers license and watched their road rules dvd, the correct method to overtake is to flash your lights and beep your horn at the car you are overtaking.  The first thing I thought of thats the quickest way to get a punch in the head back home. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

A total of 236 people were killed and 2,265 others injured in 2,194 road accidents over the first four days of the New Year holiday period’s “seven dangerous days”,

And what you call the rest of the year?? 

Normal dangerous??

Bravo Thailand you still number one

Congratulations 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I know I should be inured to such awful statistics by now, but I still can't help but be stunned by the magnitude of the tragedy that unfolds on the roads here daily. Even at a time of year when people are being urged to be more responsible, the death toll is just shocking. 40%+ of deaths caused by drink driving, so that's 100 people close to murdered in four days, and yet it goes on unabated. If the powers that be aren't weeping over these numbers, they bloody well should be, and so should the country.

It,s sad to say that the only people weeping over these absolutely shocking stats are the loved ones that are left behind after all the carnage.

The Mothers with no Son, the kids with no Papa Etc. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mikebell said:

'Thailand's Police Force serves no purpose.'  Discuss.

'To Serve and Protect'  is the ironic motto of RTP!

The Serve and Protect relates to...

Serve as many infringement notices and on the spot fines.

Protect their hip pocket additional revenues.

Yet today, Tuesday, the 1st of January, I and my family travelled back from Surin to Chiangmai, a total of some 700Kms. We started out at 5am - we arrived, (safely), at 7pm, a few hours ago.

Highways?

A24,  Prasat to Nakon Ratchasima

A2 through Saratburi, Lopburi to:

AH Nackon Sawan.

A2 to Kampaeng Phet and on to Dak

A1 to Lampang and CM

(Please don't pedantically correct me if I'm not specifically 100% correct on the starting-cessation of Road/distances). 

I only saw 4 police checks. The first, at 6.30am near Buri-Ram was unmanned.

The second was 1 hour later. two policemen, two lanes. The slow moving lane on the left was being checked by both plods. I was in the outside fast lane where most of the vehicles were, but nobody was checked - total disinterest!

The third was outside of Lopburi - four policemen, grouped together having a chat. No checking.

The last one outside Dak - was manned by two policemen doing their job. The driver in front of me was very quickly sidetracked to the kerb - they all looked concerned!

We saw two separate incidents of vehicles in the ditches. One totally wrapped around a tree, and one with a broken front axle/wheel, plus other damage.

We also counted 16 dead dogs!

From Prasat to Saratburi, the road was busy. As we left to turn NW, the roads became quieter, but the Bangkok bound traffic was horrific! We were glad we weren't going in the other direction. That traffic was continuous from Dat through to Saratburi.

Not a particularly large presence for the "Dangerous 7 days", methinks....

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:29 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Prasarn said 2,051 checkpoints, manned by 66,742 officials nationwide, recorded 177,400 violations on December 30. A total of 43,799 motorists failed to produce a licence,

So putting stars on licenses and suspending them actually means nothing

Yet today, Tuesday, the 1st of January, I and my family travelled back from Surin to Chiangmai, a total of some 700Kms. We started out at 5am - we arrived, (safely), at 7pm, a few hours ago.
Highways?
A24,  Prasat to Nakon Ratchasima
A2 through Saratburi, Lopburi to:
AH Nackon Sawan.
A2 to Kampaeng Phet and on to Dak
A1 to Lampang and CM
(Please don't pedantically correct me if I'm not specifically 100% correct on the starting-cessation of Road/distances). 

I only saw 4 police checks. The first, at 6.30am near Buri-Ram was unmanned.
The second was 1 hour later. two policemen, two lanes. The slow moving lane on the left was being checked by both plods. I was in the outside fast lane where most of the vehicles were, but nobody was checked - total disinterest!
The third was outside of Lopburi - four policemen, grouped together having a chat. No checking.
The last one outside Dak - was manned by two policemen doing their job. The driver in front of me was very quickly sidetracked to the kerb - they all looked concerned!

We saw two separate incidents of vehicles in the ditches. One totally wrapped around a tree, and one with a broken front axle/wheel, plus other damage.
We also counted 16 dead dogs!

From Prasat to Saratburi, the road was busy. As we left to turn NW, the roads became quieter, but the Bangkok bound traffic was horrific! We were glad we weren't going in the other direction. That traffic was continuous from Dat through to Saratburi.

Not a particularly large presence for the "Dangerous 7 days", methinks....

Dead Dog Day Afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

One way is to stop the motorcycle carnage where people break the law continuously by not wearing helmets. The stats show 80% of these accidents from this use. To put babies, kids and teens on these machines unprotected are shocking.  The daily carnage is accepted by everyone.  But of course the wealthy drive expensive motors and are generally more protected. Perhaps Thailand needs to stagger some holidays too so tired workers are not all travelling together - if your one of the worst in the world for road deaths you need to act.

Edited by peter48
  • Confused 1

A few kids stuck in a cave => the worlds brightest minds on the matter are brought together to resolve the situation. Massive media attention. World sitting at the tip of their sofa's.

236 deaths and 2265 wounded in 4 days, and many more to follow => That's just bad luck, who cares. Next article please.

Fckd up world ????

Edited by freestyle1
  • Like 1