New To All This And Confused! Long Term Stay In Mind

Thanks first off in advance for help.

I've never been out of the USA. My intention is to relocate to Thailand for a long time, more than a year. I have enough money to support myself there and can prove that. I have my Passport ready. What I am interested in is what kind of VISA I need and most importantly how to Extend

them. What my activities will consist of are basically doing my art, working on some of my web based businesses from America (I can divert the money earned to someone on USA soil, as a corp or LLC or get paid in Thailand depending on what's better for the VISA situation). I also have a lot of music to perform in public if it's a good opportunity. If necessary I can teach English in Thailand if its helpful for a VISA. Things I don't want to do include sexual tourism, getting in trouble with anything government or political or anything like that, I don't like drugs or too much of a party lifestyle. I want to be in Bangkok. I guess it's closer to a retirement sort of situation for me but I'm only 45.

What kind of VISA should I aim for? How challenging are Extensions? Say I want to be there for five years as a hypothetical situation. Is that even possible? I'm looking for April...

Edited by NewToVisas

If you don't plan to work in Thailand you have basically two choices:

- Tourist visa. There is a single entry tourist visa (SETV) and a multiple entry tourist visa (METV). If you plan to stay some time you should get a multiple entry tourist visa in the US, just look it up on Google for further details. You have to make a visa run at least every 3 months.

- Education visa. You can study Thai, or also some other courses at an approved school / university, you get a 3 months visa which can be extended inside Thailand if you continue your studies

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

What is your age? If you are 50 years old or more, you have the option (which I would recommend) of getting a Non O-A (long stay) visa.

Second choice would be a multiple entry tourist visa. That would allow you an initial 6-8 months in Thailand, but only leaving and returning to Thailand (can be the same day) every two to three months. You can then add more time by getting additional single entry tourist visas from consulates in countries near Thailand.

There's also the Thailand Elite program, which will give you 5 years of hassle-free stay in Thailand for 500,000 baht (or 20 years for 1 million). There are also other benefits with this program, like VIP treatment at the airport.

3 hours ago, NewToVisas said:

I've never been out of the USA.

Which means you've never been here before. In which case, get an Ed visa through a reputable institute thereby killing 2 birds with 1 stone:

1. Resolve the visa situation.

2. Learn some Thai. This is essential if at all you have long-term plans. Thais do not speak much English.

And, don't burn any bridges before you've been here for at least a couple of months. Leave that car in storage and rent out your home. It would be silly to make a commitment before you've checked the country out. 

• Like 1

I would truly advise you to come here on a vacation first... travel a bit. See if you like being here before making dramatic plans...

This is as much for a mindset as anything... People who come for a vacation tend to be relaxed and open to new experiences, curious and do not feel that anything is at risk.

If you get off the plane, first day, thinking "this is it!!" - - "can I do this!!" It is a more stressful way to experience a place, anyplace. 

Are you sure you would prefer the big big city atmosphere of Bangkok to the more laid back and artsy atmosphere of Chiang Mai... 

Come as a tourist and have a look about. Then go home - then decide. 

Good luck to you and if you want, feel free to PM.. 

• Thanks 1

Although you seem to have already decided where you prefer, I would urge you to consider Europe too. Spain and Portugal especially have much to offer. Climate is variable. Madrid can be freezing at this time of year, however Lisbon averages 15 Celsius. Towns and Cities have marvellous historical architecture, something that Americans consider particularly attractive. Transport is reliable and economical. Medical facilities are top class. If you like the coast, Spain has many 'costas', Portugal too, including Nazare which has the highest surfing waves in the World.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I suggest that you travel to several countries and after travelling choose a destination based on first hand knowledge rather than emigrate to a country you know nothing about.

Nice point.... is there any specific reason why you chose Thailand (you said you've never been out of the US)?

47 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I would truly advise you to come here on a vacation first... travel a bit. See if you like being here before making dramatic plans...

This is as much for a mindset as anything... People who come for a vacation tend to be relaxed and open to new experiences, curious and do not feel that anything is at risk.

If you get off the plane, first day, thinking "this is it!!" - - "can I do this!!" It is a more stressful way to experience a place, anyplace. 

Are you sure you would prefer the big big city atmosphere of Bangkok to the more laid back and artsy atmosphere of Chiang Mai... 

Come as a tourist and have a look about. Then go home - then decide. 

Good luck to you and if you want, feel free to PM.. 

Good advice...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NewToVisas said:

What kind of VISA should I aim for? How challenging are Extensions? Say I want to be there for five years as a hypothetical situation. Is that even possible? I'm looking for April...

Well, you have already discovered this forum. Now you have to ask questions as you go along. First, get an SETV from USA and arrive here. Bangkok is a good start. It is chaotic but it's the primate city of Thailand. Get a place for moth-to-month rental. If you don't like, you can move out without wasting your deposit.

You can extend your permitted until date by 30-day. So basically it will give you 90-days to stay in Thailand before you have to leave the country. 

Once you stayed here for 90-days, you can visit wealthy countries like Malaysia, Singapore, Hong kong, Macau (no visa required for US citizens), or very poor countries like Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, and Philippines and then decide your long-term plan. 

Also, as somebody suggested, visiting Portugal and Spain (no visa if staying for less than 3 months in Schengen zone within a rolling 180-day period) during the scorching summer heat of SEA will give you some relief from the heat and gain new experiences. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 12:30 PM, Myran said:

There's also the Thailand Elite program, which will give you 5 years of hassle-free stay in Thailand for 500,000 baht (or 20 years for 1 million). There are also other benefits with this program, like VIP treatment at the airport.

This visa is only good if you are very well off financially and don't mind writing off 500.000 Baht after up to five years. You get nothing back in return for this money and you still have all your'e living expenses to pay.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Also, as somebody suggested, visiting Portugal and Spain (no visa if staying for less than 3 months in Schengen zone within a rolling 180-day period) during the scorching summer heat of SEA will give you some relief from the heat and gain new experiences.  

Baguio, Philippines, also provides a respite from the heat, where I spent a March-April period a few years ago.  It is a relatively conservative area, though (still fawning over how great life under Marcos was - seriously). 

There are also some highlands in Malaysia, though I don't have direct experience. 

The cooler highlands of Laos are still very undeveloped, when I last looked into it, but someone might have more current info on that.  Laos is not a good choice for a long-term stay visa-wise - unless one really likes the place enough to purchase a "business visa" from an agent.

On 1/2/2019 at 11:33 AM, NewToVisas said:

I also have a lot of music to perform in public if it's a good opportunity.

That could be a problem , you would need a work permit. 

On 1/3/2019 at 11:07 AM, scorecard said:

Lot's of very good advice for you to consider.

Just one item - several members have suggested a holiday here, perhaps also some time in Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia, Indonesia etc., and this is very good advice.

Keep in mind that all of these countries have an Asian flavor but they also have their own culture, behaviors, food, etc and mostly quite poor.  The culture / daily living, typical behaviors etc., is totally and completely different to what you are used to for 45 years! 

I hope you would enjoy these cultures but keep in mind you might find the local cultures way outside of what you can accept, etc. (But I hope not.)

Another angle of this, many western folks come to Thailand (perhaps first trip abroad), and fall in love with 'utopia' / they think they have discovered 'utopia'.

Trouble is that 'utopia' doesn't exist and never will exist.  Most of us here long-term (me, 30+ years) have seen examples of first timers (everybody has a first time, nothing wrong with that), come here for 2 weeks and rush home to US, Germany etc etc., sell everything and rush back to 'utopia'.

But after a short while they realize this is not 'utopia' and some even get angry because their 'utopia bubble' has burst and they now see the downside (which exists in all countries), but their dream of living in 'utopia' has shattered. Beware of this scenario. As said, this scenario happens, and often brings anger.

Back to the point, lot's of very wise advice from other posters, come for a week / 2 weeks, perhaps, while your here explore and fully understand the steps, needed documentation, complexities needed to teach, and get first hand knowledge of work opportunities, etc. 

Then go home and analyse it all and make a further decision.

Good luck. 

Very much second this. If you have never been outside of the USA, you might be in for some culture shock. Particularly Americans seem to be dismayed at the 'Make do' and never mind attitude of Thais who will accept as normal workmen not turning up, and doing a poor job. Quality of all materials, fittings and furnishings are often lower too. Stainless steel that rusts, shoddy electrics and plumbing and appliances that break first time you use them are not uncommon.

You put up with this for a while but then disillusionment can set in. Why not try Mexico for a few months? If you can survive that, maybe ready for Thailand!

As for Visas, i would say the METV is probably best if you really intend to stay for a while. By the end of it you should know if Thailand would be right for you. Remember you cannot  get a long term visa unless you are married to a Thai, over 50 or working (restricted opportunities). There are the Elite visas, but you pay a lot more for them.

Edited by rickudon
Adding more info.