Drink driving cases smash the 5,000 barrier in five New Year days - Isaan is the worst

webfact

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I noticed that discrepancy also... a huge one!!!! 5,000 over 5 days here vs 25,000 over two days in the prior report???

Either the news media or the authorities are playing funny business with the drunken driving arrest stats.

Re your last sentence. Could that be possible? 555?

I wanted to have Pictures of Road Victims displayed on the side of the roads similar to 'Cigarette" Packets in our village, but I was told that "Children" would see them, so we can't do that! Yet they let 7/8 year olds drive at 80kmh down the main road where only 3 days ago a lady was killed by an obvious drunk. ????  'Pom Mai Cow Jay" (sic) My apologies if any "Children Drivers" see these photos.... NOT! P.S. This is not as bad as some I tried to use by way of convincing our Village Leader to place the signs.

No.9.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phredd said:

I wanted to have Pictures of Road Victims displayed on the side of the roads similar to 'Cigarette" Packets in our village, but I was told that "Children" would see them, so we can't do that! Yet they let 7/8 year olds drive at 80kmh down the main road where only 3 days ago a lady was killed by an obvious drunk. ????  'Pom Mai Cow Jay" (sic) My apologies if any "Children Drivers" see these photos.... NOT! P.S. This is not as bad as some I tried to use by way of convincing our Village Leader to place the signs.

No.9.jpg

Normal day on the roads of Thailand.

They care so much about there citizens . :bah:

17 hours ago, tigerfeet said:

how can you take a licence ?they have to have one .and the truck/car is probably in the wife name with no insurance tax or lights or brakes .no easy fix i am afraid.would take 2 generations if they start now.just my out look on it having lived in he north of thailand for 8 years .

Agree.

Seems to me driver education needs to start in early high school with a well thought out national curriculum.

But even before driver education, a compulsory standard curriculum, maybe 20 hours a year, with prepared handouts which cannot be changed regarding civil society and why laws exist, how the law works, plus examples of how corruption destroys society. And all monitored and tested by an outside agency to ensure the kids are learning the real message.

Why an outside agency? In the early days of thaksin / the reds, several professors at my sons uni (in Bkk), tasked to conduct lessons about democracy, were telling the students it was compulsory by uni regulations to vote for thaksins' party and if they voted otherwise they would be easily discovered and punished. 

Edited by scorecard

That's why I bring my 10 kids here for New Year's and we drive around on motorbikes at midnight!!!!  We are here, and a cheap apartment is better than having safe roads.  cheap women are better than clear air.  If you want safe roads.......use your brain, make money, go to Singapore.  

we can only blame ourselves.   

hey, who wants to get some Lao beer at 711 now???  

One of the Scandinavian countries has done what is urgently needed in Thailand.  Fail the breathalyser test, and it's automatic slammer for a few months!  No bracelets, no curfews.  Sure, a huge new prison complex would be needed, but look at the present situation:  it's beyond repair with the current police force and slap on the wrist punishments.
The country seems more pre-occupied with overstaying tourists than the deaths of hundreds of its citizens.

Norway did that 30+ years ago - The prison was a real ‘who is who’ of the Norwegian elite at one point .... Doctors, lawyers etc would all mix with the plebs all making pallets for the transport industry .... Then over time it became a social no no to drink and drive ....

The limits for drink driving was reduced year on year ... and no matter what your social standing or how important your job was ... it was 30 or 60 days locked up and a year ban for driving..... if my memory serves me right ....

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Son of a friend got busted driving drunk on a motorcycle in Buriram. Had to go to court and paid a fine of 3000 THB. Was his first offense (but I suspect not his last) so no further action was taken (like community service). ????

15 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

Norway did that 30+ years ago - The prison was a real ‘who is who’ of the Norwegian elite at one point .... Doctors, lawyers etc would all mix with the plebs all making pallets for the transport industry .... Then over time it became a social no no to drink and drive ....

The limits for drink driving was reduced year on year ... and no matter what your social standing or how important your job was ... it was 30 or 60 days locked up and a year ban for driving..... if my memory serves me right ....

Australia the same, drink laws are very severe, but it reduced the road toll / accident rate enormously. In some OZ states the registered / licensed bar owner / manager* can also be fined heavily for continuing to sell drinks to drunk patrons.  These laws work and are well accepted by the community.

*Plus in at least one state the owner /manager will be barred from ever having a licence again, forever, to sell / serve alcohol.

Edited by scorecard

I wanted to have Pictures of Road Victims displayed on the side of the roads similar to 'Cigarette" Packets in our village, but I was told that "Children" would see them, so we can't do that! Yet they let 7/8 year olds drive at 80kmh down the main road where only 3 days ago a lady was killed by an obvious drunk. [emoji20]  'Pom Mai Cow Jay" (sic) My apologies if any "Children Drivers" see these photos.... NOT! P.S. This is not as bad as some I tried to use by way of convincing our Village Leader to place the signs.
No.9.jpg.f2328910af8f71f65f2ebb430f7b5fbc.jpg

Is that photo from a Nigeria?

Isaan also has the most people of any region of Thailand at 22 million.

So statistically, it's not a surprise that they lead the drink-driving numbers. I expect they top the numbers for most statistics by virtue of their population, except perhaps the one for wealth.

Everyone seems to forget where we are. Thailand is a Buddhist country. Everything is fate. You die in a crash, a murder whatever, you go to a better life, or not... I think, and I could be wrong, but this is why life seems to we foreigners to be so cheap here. The Thai value system is quiet different than our's. Although I think we foreigners all agree Thais are nuts when it come to driving as well as other things it's just culture.