China says detained Canadians 'without a doubt' violated the law

snoop1130

gdfg.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Canadian businessman Michael Spavor arrives next to the former NBA basketball player Dennis Rodman (not pictured) after a trip to North Korea, at Beijing Capital International Airport, Beijing, China January 13, 2014. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon

BEIJING (Reuters) - China’s top prosecutor said on Thursday that two Canadians detained after Canada arrested a Chinese technology company executive had “without a doubt” violated the law.

Authorities in Beijing had previously said the two men, Michael Kovrig, a former diplomat and an adviser with the International Crisis Group (ICG) think-tank, and businessman Michael Spavor, were suspected of endangering state security.

“Without a doubt, these two Canadian citizens in China violated our country’s laws and regulations, and are currently undergoing investigation according to procedure,” Zhang Jun, China’s prosecutor general, said.

Zhang said the investigation process had been handled “strictly” according to law when asked by Reuters at a briefing when the two men might be charged. He did not elaborate.

The two were detained after Canadian police arrested Huawei Technologies Co Ltd’s chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou on Dec. 1 in Vancouver, at the request of the United States.

U.S. prosecutors have accused her of misleading banks about transactions linked to Iran, putting the banks at risk of violating sanctions.

The Chinese government has only given vague details about the detention of the two Canadians, and it has not drawn a direct link to Meng’s arrest. It has demanded that Canada free her and threatened unspecified consequences if it does not.

Canada has said several times it saw no explicit link between the arrest of Meng, the daughter of Huawei’s founder, and the detentions of Kovrig and Spavor.

But Beijing-based Western diplomats and former Canadian diplomats have said they have no doubt the cases are linked.

Canada has said the detentions are unacceptable and U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said China should free the men.

Under Chinese criminal procedure law, special forms of detention and interrogation can be used for state security suspects.

China touts the rule of law, but its judicial system is tightly controlled by the ruling Communist Party.

Rights groups say conditions in Chinese detention facilities are often basic and can be harsh, with lack of legal representation and due process compounding worries about treatment.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-1-3

After living in Thailand and hearing stories like that of Naresuan, I can't help thinking the world is going back to feudal times.

The first incident of this I can recall of this was when Gary Powers was captured by the Soviets.

See?  I may be old but I still have a memory.  (hey, where did I put my glasses?)

9 hours ago, bendejo said:

After living in Thailand and hearing stories like that of Naresuan, I can't help thinking the world is going back to feudal times.

The first incident of this I can recall of this was when Gary Powers was captured by the Soviets.

See?  I may be old but I still have a memory.  (hey, where did I put my glasses?)

good call but I don't think going back is correct.

I have always subscribed to the belief that the world is controlled by gangsters.  Some tougher than others but gangsters all the same.  As far as these people are concerned we do not exist and if we do at all then it is only as cannon fodder.

They don't even have to fool us about it as we are very capable of fooling ourselves.

1 hour ago, Trouble said:

Wonder how these two guy endangered state security?  I suppose it will be months while the Chinese "investigate" the matter.

Probably about the same time it takes the US to investigate Huawei!

What's interesting is the speed the Canadians reacted to US demands. Whose Trudeau kidding when he tries to act tough with the US about anything - no one!

And, to be fair, US banks and International banks aren't exactly easily led paragons of virtue, now are they?

Maybe China and the EU should start investigating some the the activities of US and Canadian companies!

The canadians never broke Chinese laws or endangered Chinese security, they simply doing thier job, but ended up stating what the Chinese government did'nt want to hear.

Well, I think the Chinese are despicable, they have been stealing or copying Western technology for years, and made a fortune from it, communism has no respect for any laws, they just do as they want, when it suits

Its high time the West retaliated, since doing it legally is a problem, lets do it the Chinese way and apply renditions to 'black prisons' and maybe even utilize Guantanamo. If the press get onto it, just deny and lie about it. The Chinese only respect force, and not the Western pansy reactions and (in) actions.

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Guilty of being Canadian at the wrong time. Not a very original response from the Chinese government. You would think they could be more creative than merely taking some hostages. A rather unsophisticated bunch of thugs in cheap suits.

"Canada has said several times it saw no explicit link between the arrest of Meng, the daughter of Huawei’s founder, and the detentions of Kovrig and Spavor."

Canada, you are insulting our intelligence by that statement. Sounds like something a certain military gov't would say! 

In any event China has arrested a number of Canadians last month, wonder why?

And China, I say "Scre_ you!" You are a vile regime. 

Archived