PEA advises on cost-effective air conditioners amid Thai heat

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Baht Simpson said:

Crikey! If I ran mine at 27c in this weather I'd fry.

26, 27 is fine for me. As for what BTU to get there are calculators on the net. Another misconception is to set at say 18 to really cool the room down then turn it up to a higher level, let's say 26. This is both more expensive and totally unnecessary. If you want the room at 26 but set to 18 to cool the room down then bump it up to 26 the temp will of course need to be 26 at some stage on it's way down. Set at 26 is all that's needed. It took me a while to explain this one to the missus.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, TCAK said:

I replaced the air con in our (myself and wife) bedroom recently. I did this after I had a 20KW solar system with 20 panels installed. The old air con had the blower unit in the ceiling and so aesthetically it looked good. I noticed after installing the solar I would see the 20 KW batteries would be down to 20-30%  . I changed the bedroom to an invertor wall mount air con 12,000 BTU ( wasn't sure what the ceiling air con was as I couldn't find any numbers on it, I was told when I bought the house (2010) it was a 12,000 BTU unit). So monitoring the panel on the invertor I could see KWH and the invertor was 60% power use of  the ceiling air con using the same temp setting 27C and same run time.

I have since changed out 4 air cons at our other houses in Thailand for invertor air con.  Both the blower unit and compresssor unit are very quiet.. Besides saving money they cool off very quickly.

How are you getting 20KW out of 20 panels ?, Most panels are in the 400-500 watt range never heard of 1 KW panels before.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, scoobyguy said:

How are you getting 20KW out of 20 panels ?, Most panels are in the 400-500 watt range never heard of 1 KW panels before.

Correct my panels are 520W. I have 5 panels each facing N,S,E,W.  This time of year my panels reach 6-7 KWH around noon. Run my pool pump 4-5 hrs/day during the day. Don't run air con much in the day. All are big fans. It's amazing when you look at power comsuption on many of the applances such as fans, oven, dryer, and even hair dryers. So batteries are 100% charged usually before 2pm. If you are interested I have a data from past electric bills for last 3 yrs vs. with solar. 

And Bday Prang what are you talking about? 

• Thumbs Up 1

There is a news article now on a Thai news website now (yellow page header also has a forum... not sure about posting the name) with some bloke praising the air con set at 27 deg and a small fan to distribute the air around.. maybe one of you air con gurus can have a look (it's in Thai language, I got my wife to translate)... and see if it makes sense.. he claims to cut his bill almost in half...

our inverter air con stopped working yesterday. cant get serviced until saturday. all the shops told my better half that they are overly busy this year as seems many people are having problems all at the same time. hard to sleep, reminds me when i got here 20 yrs ago and my first rental house didnt have air...

43 minutes ago, Martin71 said:

There is a news article now on a Thai news website now (yellow page header also has a forum... not sure about posting the name) with some bloke praising the air con set at 27 deg and a small fan to distribute the air around.. maybe one of you air con gurus can have a look (it's in Thai language, I got my wife t ro translate)... and see if it makes sense.. he claims to cut his bill almost in half...

We have a large bedroom and we do use a fan to 'throw' the cooled air across the room to our sleeping area. It works very well but it certainly does not reduce our bills by 50%! 

I cannot see how that would be possible.

• Like 1

So then... 

PEA advises on cost-effective air conditioners BUT FORGETS to mention MOST IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION for buying a cost-effective AC? 

a. No mention of EFFICIENCY 

b. No mention of efficiency ratings 

c. No mention of how to calculate the EER rating of an AC, just by checking capacity in BTU and Watts. 

Therefore, this article and advice is completely USELESS. 

I would NEVER buy an AC with an EER below 23. 

I guess PEA was afraid to mention the EER rating because this is a ratio which requires the understanding of simple fractions. 

So, better to pay through the nose for extra power to run an inefficient AC? 

Such a shame. 

Living in the modern world requires understanding third-grade arithmetic. 

But I wonder if they can easily convert from BTU to kcal? 

1 BTU =0.25 kcal 

Ignorance is bliss... 

Unless you are losing money due to it. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

All well and good IF you have the power in the first place. It is quite common in our area for the power to go off at the slightest provocation, a bird perching on the wire, a spattering of raindrops, a snake in the works, or a drunk Somchai taking out a power pole at 8 at night.

Last night the power went off at 10 minutes to nine, and came back on at exactly 6 this morning. 

I, like most everyone else am looking forward to the rains, but that is tinged with the certainty that the power will be off daily.

• Like 2

They forget to say that the larger the  room volume the more it will cost to cool. I have divided both our bedrooms Scandinavian style with glass wall dividers and a sliding door, so that one half holds the bed only and the other half holds the wardrobes etc. i.e. a dressing room and small sitting room. Therefore a much smaller volume to cool at night and during the day in the dressing/sitting room but still have the sensation of relative spaciousness. Each original bedroom was L6m x W3m x H3m. Our living room is huge and costs a fortune to cool during the day. Hence looking at getting solar panels for use during the day

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

All well and good IF you have the power in the first place. It is quite common in our area for the power to go off at the slightest provocation, a bird perching on the wire, a spattering of raindrops, a snake in the works, or a drunk Somchai taking out a power pole at 8 at night.

Last night the power went off at 10 minutes to nine, and came back on at exactly 6 this morning. 

I, like most everyone else am looking forward to the rains, but that is tinged with the certainty that the power will be off daily.

Ours went off last night for about 2 hours, first time this year. Last year we had no power outages  whatsoever which was incredible. I think solar panels and batteries are my next big purchase

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

That's interesting. 

Where is your area? 

Thailand, or other? 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

Crikey! If I ran mine at 27c in this weather I'd fry.

This doesn't make sense. If it's 34°C or 40°C outside it would still be 27°C in a room cooled to 27°C.

• Agree 2

I have a 'TV computer room' off my bedroom more like a green house, high celling, but only gets morning sun through shade cloth, it just got hot, I have a floor fan pointing at me with the bedroom door slid open, so it sort of sucks it out, only a 9.8 BTU aircon in there, now running at 23 (night 26), I don't care anymore about my bill I'm willing to pay up to another 1k a month as long as I'm comfortable. TV room now at 29 but the cool air is blowing at me.        My "TV" room being built on my veranda.IMG_1734.thumb.JPG.d435a201b011e6914b1668ea7bbcd06e.JPG