Stronger baht ‘will hurt exporters and farmers’

webfact

7 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Stay Tuned............I give it until 01 April max for the bubble to pop.......then Boom Baby!!!

Then what? The THB is going to magically shoot above it's declining 40 month ema? Probably not going to happen short of a financial crisis nobody foresees at present.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Don't quite understand the concern when all our competing countries also appreciated against US dollar. Moreover the appreciating baht lower costs of imported materials and fuel. Thailand is not competitive because of a whole array of logistical and productivity problems. Blaming the currency is just a convenient excuse. 

What? The Vietnam, Indonesian, Phillipene and Indian currencies have depreciated 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jabis said:

Looks like I made a slight "bargain" bringing enough coin to Thai banks with then eur to thb rate being 39.05, and now looking at 36.58 spot exchange ???? Been waiting this bubble a'burstin' for few years, yet still the foreign reserves of the Kingdom look sky-high and no adjustments toward export made by BOT - they're trying to kill the golden goose in so many ways lol

to judge the "golden goose" you have to compare exports with imports. what some (not all) exporters lose the importers win. some of the exporters are also importers of parts and raw materials they require for their manufactured and exported goods. Thailand's imports are lower than the exports that's why why the high forex reserves. a situation every country would like to achieve.

11 hours ago, mok199 said:
18 hours ago, Naam said:

there was no river Clyde in any country i lived. and i was quoting his official salary according to the Washington Times.

Do you honestly believe in an official salary for a cival servant in Thailand ...

what part of my comment "i was quoting..." is it you don't understand?

6 hours ago, smedly said:
8 hours ago, fulhamster said:

The rate the morning of the Brexit vote was around 51, and within 24 hours it was 44. Never recovered and never will. And it was NOT a coincidence, the drop was purely down to the vote.

you are completely wrong about that, take a very close look at the Thai baht - Euro - and USD, I have in fact I watch it every day for the last 10 years, yes sterling did drop but recovered and at that time the baht took a giant leap - the Euro/sterling graph tells a story - throw the baht into the mix with USD and other major currencies and you will find that the Thai baht has appreciated some 20% in the last 2 years, throw 20% at Thai baht and sterling and you will start to see exactly what is going on  

no he's right and he quoted facts!

brexit.jpg

9 hours ago, fulhamster said:

The rate the morning of the Brexit vote was around 51, and within 24 hours it was 44. Never recovered and never will. And it was NOT a coincidence, the drop was purely down to the vote.

Bang on,dropped like a brick in water.i nearly left 4 mil baht until after brexit but thank god I didn't else I would of lost a small fortune.got mates here wanting to transfer money but refuse to do so.thailand will feel the storm coming very soon with tourism,exports and investments down.as we know the only ones having it off are the rich and elite moving their fortunes abroad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naam said:

to judge the "golden goose" you have to compare exports with imports. what some (not all) exporters lose the importers win. some of the exporters are also importers of parts and raw materials they require for their manufactured and exported goods. Thailand's imports are lower than the exports that's why why the high forex reserves. a situation every country would like to achieve.

You're right. So if the baht is devalued those foreign currency reserves are worth more. Also as a net exporter a weaker baht should surely be better for the economy.

On 1/4/2019 at 7:08 AM, LazySlipper said:

Geeeez... Canadian dollar under 23bht, Aussie is at 21.72 and the New Zeland buck is in the 20's

getting almost impossible to stay here with the baht this strong. I really hope the bubble bursts soon!

And the UKP on 40!  Agree with LazySlipper if/when Thai Immigration enforce 800,000 savings and/or compulsory medical insurance, I'm on my way to Vietnam.

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

You're right.

1. So if the baht is devalued those foreign currency reserves are worth more.

2.Also as a net exporter a weaker baht should surely be better for the economy.

1. no, the value of forex reserves measured in USD will remain the same. in this respect THB exchange rate is irrelevant.

2. not necessarily. it depends who's profit (exporters or importers) is higher in value.

2 hours ago, happy chappie said:

thailand will feel the storm coming very soon with tourism,exports and investments down.as we know the only ones having it off are the rich and elite moving their fortunes abroad.

Ever considered that 1 of those rich and elites you mention, is worth probably 100 or more times a western monger in tourist earnings?

6 hours ago, happy chappie said:

So from 22-27th it fell 5.3b.in my books that was 10% in five days.since then every time brexit is mentioned the pound drops.

Pound Vs euro has been the same for the past two years.

It dropped 8% when the Brexit vote was announced, then stayed the same.

On 1/4/2019 at 7:16 AM, smedly said:

Correct, many incorrectly blame Brexit for the current sterling/baht exchange rate, it only accounts for about 5% of the current 2 year 25% drop

How are you arriving at this 5% figure?  Over the same period, GBP has fallen 23% against the Euro, 19% against the US Dollar, 27% againt the Yen, 21% againt the Ruble and 13% against the Yuan.  It would be fair to assume that Brexit has caused about 20% of the drop while the other 5% of post Brexit loss to the Baht has been caused by the strengthening of the Baht.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

How are you arriving at this 5% figure? Over the same period, GBP has fallen 23% against the Euro,

I looked at XE.com 5 year rates, GBP dropped 8% against the Euro at the Brexit announcement then remained fairly steady. How are you getting  23% drop against the Euro since Brexit?

And if the GBP has dropped 23% against the Euro (and 20% against the Baht), how come the Euro isn't worth 3% more against the Baht than it was two years back?

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

GBP has fallen 23% against the Euro

what are you smoking, GBP/Euro 85 - 89 in 2x years is not 23% it is actually 4%, 29th June 2016 to current day

you could go back further to when it was 75 but that was 4 years ago and has nothing to do with this discussion

Like has already been posted earlier - many people from various countries have all seen a 20-30% drop in value of their home currency to Thai baht - not just sterling

Edited by smedly

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If the Thai baht is strengthening, why is the price of gold here going UP?

very simple = $$ down  Gold goes up.  been that way for 50 years.  Ask any Thai or Vietnamese woman, they don't watch the gold prices, they watch the $$.

On 1/4/2019 at 1:31 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Thailand is not the God. Mightier have come down crashing in the past year including Apple, amazon, bitcoin and Australian Real Estate. Things move in cycles and that's how people make money. Is Soros still alive? He could destroy thai currency without lifting a finger.

Btw, I'm going to say this and I just know I'm going to sound like a moron. Bangkok to me is one of the most romantic, mysterious cities in the world. I love it and hate it at the same time. I'd come here for visits even if baht was 5 to 1 Canadian dollar. 

I must be here too long. I don't find BKK even remotely mysterious or romantic any more. It's just a massive concrete jungle.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, smedly said:

what are you smoking, GBP/Euro 85 - 89 in 2x years is not 23% it is actually 4%, 29th June 2016 to current day

Easy to manipulate figures when you cherry pick your dates like that. 29th June 2016 was six days after the referendum and the pound/euro had plummeted to 1.21 from 1.30 seven days earlier. This week it's been several days at 1.10, you're seriously trying to convince people this has nothing to do with Brexit? 

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Easy to manipulate figures when you cherry pick your dates like that. 29th June 2016 was six days after the referendum and the pound/euro had plummeted to 1.21 from 1.30 seven days earlier. This week it's been several days at 1.10, you're seriously trying to convince people this has nothing to do with Brexit? 

you are confused, this discussion is about the Thai baht strengthening not the EURO having a slight pop when you cherry pick, the most certain picture is Thai baht going up between 20 and 30% these last couple of years depending on your home currency - that is fact but it seems to be confusing some people

13 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Ever considered that 1 of those rich and elites you mention, is worth probably 100 or more times a western monger in tourist earnings?

Of course they are richer,they have the golden baht and us less mortals have ?

30 minutes ago, smedly said:

you are confused, this discussion is about the Thai baht strengthening not the EURO having a slight pop when you cherry pick, the most certain picture is Thai baht going up between 20 and 30% these last couple of years depending on your home currency - that is fact but it seems to be confusing some people

You brought up Brexit yourself, which is what I was responding to:

"many incorrectly blame Brexit for the  current sterling/baht exchange rate, it only accounts for about 5 % of  the current 2 year 25% drop"

The pound plummeted spectacularly in value since the referendum date against the baht, the euro and the dollar alike - I don't see how anyone could even try to make the case this is not because of Brexit.