Stronger baht ‘will hurt exporters and farmers’

webfact

4 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Thailand is one of those few countries that doesn't print money by the truckloads to finance an unsustainable way of life, hence its strong currency.

Really ?? You looked at the data ?? of just 'assumed' ?? 

From near 16000 B-THB to near 20,000 B-THB since 2014 (m3) similar rises for M2 and M0 

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/money-supply-m3

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carstenp said:

The higher it climb, the higher it fall. 

I was always taught that something climbs and the opposite is to fall.  Was I taught incorrectly and have been getting things wrong for the last 70+ years (now 77 years old) of having been taught that?  Just curious.

'nuf sed

Just now, wotsdermatter said:

I was always taught that something climbs and the opposite is to fall.  Was I taught incorrectly and have been getting things wrong for the last 70+ years (now 77 years old) of having been taught that?  Just curious.

'nuf sed

I was comment on this. Did not write it ????

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Oh,yes the data. Everything looks great, if you look at that very reliable data coming out. Like the ever growing tourist numbers and yet empty airports.

did 6 departures and 6 arrivals last year (at different times). 4 of them in low season. never saw an empty Suvarnabhumi!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Naam said:

did 6 departures and 6 arrivals last year (at different times). 4 of them in low season. never saw an empty Suvarnabhumi!

It tend to fill up when planes land, ive noticed that too. Strangely its full just before departures.

• Like 1

I completely and wholehearedly agree with this and thanks for articulating this so well.

With the exchange rate like this Bangkok is now significantly more expensive to live than Melbourne, Australia.

Accommodation for a family of 4 in Bangkok in a liveable area will be a minimum of 80k baht per month which is around $3,200 AUD per month. And for that in Bangkok all you get is the apartment...no parks nearby, no decent schools, no free healthcare, poor infrastructure etc. The same accomodation in Melbourne would be a very nice place in a premium suburb with free health care, parks, free schools etc etc.

Even in the crappy town we live in Rayong the better house rent for more than they would in Melbourne. It’s crazy and makes absolutely no real sense.
Very true. The baht is to strong, new condo prices continue to surge, rents are always up in desirable areas.
I don't pay rent and live on lower Sukhumvit but if I did I would depart on the next bus out
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

Supermarket shelves in the West used to be filled with Thai rice, at the end a little bit from other countries...that reversed years ago, what do they expect, its economics

It's economics...and maybe it's also poison...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

Supermarket shelves in the West used to be filled with Thai rice, at the end a little bit from other countries...that reversed years ago, what do they expect, its economics

In 2017, Thailand exported 11.63 million tonnes of rice, an all-time record, up 14.8 percent year-on-year.

:coffee1:

3 hours ago, carstenp said:

I do. But everything is on hold here in Thailand. I dont invest in anything. No new motorbike, house building only few holidays with the family. I will not bring more money to Thailand right now. Like many, I do believe Thailand has become very expensive, even with my income. I feel I dont get value for my money anymore. Before I could accept to live in a 3 world country and the quality there is here, but right now, I feel like, I pay to much for a lower quality of life here. Many things are even more expensive here, than my home country  

True enough...look at Bangkok real estate...Sala Daeng, 2 bedrooms, starts at 36 million baht!!!!

Meanwhile, prices are crashing everywhere, including in Manhattan.

Is Thailand an island of prosperity?

Edited by Brunolem

Property per sqm for builds in Sukhumvit now outstrips anywhere in NZ where I am from. Building standards are worlds apart and I find myself wondering why and who would pay so much for these builds in a country which has a natural second owner discount due to local superstitions. 

I have gone from spending 10,000 baht per day and having the time of my life to 4000 baht per day and putting my money to work outside of Thailand long term. 

• Like 1

True enough...look at Bangkok real estate...Sala Daeng, 2 bedrooms, starts at 36 million baht!!!!

Meanwhile, prices are crashing everywhere, including in Manhattan.

Is Thailand an island of prosperity?
Same at nana. The Q condo starts at 30 million to 150 million baht! And it's still a red light district

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

Thailand has over 1000 generals all collecting a salary over 250,000 us/yr

rubbish² !

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, who as army commander led a May coup d’etat...

Before his retirement at the end of September, the general received a 1.4 million baht ($43,000) annual salary as army chief.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/31/thai-prime-minister-an-ex-general-is-millionaire/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Really ?? You looked at the data ?? of just 'assumed' ?? 

From near 16000 B-THB to near 20,000 B-THB since 2014 (m3) similar rises for M2 and M0 

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/money-supply-m3

You have to consider the whole sentence, all the way to "finance an unsustainable way of life".

Thailand can and certainly does create money, but not to finance a nanny state, as are doing almost all the Western countries.

When the s..t is going to hit the fan, soon enough, Thailand will fare much better, because the bulk of its population doesn't depend on government handouts...

Just now, MrPatrickThai said:

If you think Prayud was earning $43k a year as army chief, you came down the Clyde in a banana boat !

there was no river Clyde in any country i lived. and i was quoting his official salary according to the Washington Times.

28 minutes ago, Naam said:

yeah, yeah, yeah... i hear this mantra since we live in Thailand. we arrived fourteen years ago. yawnnnn.... :coffee1:

Thailand is not the God. Mightier have come down crashing in the past year including Apple, amazon, bitcoin and Australian Real Estate. Things move in cycles and that's how people make money. Is Soros still alive? He could destroy thai currency without lifting a finger.

Btw, I'm going to say this and I just know I'm going to sound like a moron. Bangkok to me is one of the most romantic, mysterious cities in the world. I love it and hate it at the same time. I'd come here for visits even if baht was 5 to 1 Canadian dollar. 

• Like 1

Just now, Moo 2 said:

A strong baht is not good for tourism neither, let's wait the next Songkran festival...The good old days of

32 baht to 1 aud, all gone.

1 minute ago, Moo 2 said:

A strong baht is not good for tourism neither, let's wait the next Songkran festival...The good old days of

32 baht to 1 aud, all gone.

I prefer cats to dogs as there are no Police Cats.

7 hours ago, smedly said:

tourism is also an export since it involves foreign currency and is being hugely impacted by the strong baht

a strong baht benefits only one group of people in Thailand - the rich, who want to invest in business and property overseas 

True ,and they have the power to run    (buy the run of the country)   Corruption at the highest level.