China's Xi calls on army to be battle-ready

rooster59

China's Xi calls on army to be battle-ready

800x800 (9).jpg

China's President Xi Jinping attends a welcome ceremony for German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier (not pictured) at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China December 10, 2018. REUTERS/Jason Lee/Files

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - China's armed forces must strengthen their sense of urgency and do everything they can to prepare for battle, President Xi Jinping told a meeting of top brass on Friday.

China is keen to beef up its armed forces amid territorial disputes in the South China Sea and escalating tension with the United States over issues ranging from trade to the status of Taiwan.

The official Xinhua news agency said Xi told a meeting of the top military authority that China faced increasing risks and challenges, and the armed forces must work to secure its security and development needs.

Xi, who is also chairman of the Central Military Commission, said the armed forces must devise strategies for the new era and take on responsibilities for preparing and waging war.

"The world is facing a period of major changes never seen in a century, and China is still in an important period of strategic opportunity for development," he was quoted as saying.

He said the armed forces needed to be able to respond quickly to emergencies, needed to upgrade their joint operations capabilities and nurture new types of combat forces.

Xi's comments followed his remarks on Wednesday that China still reserved the right to use force to achieve "reunification" with Taiwan and prevent the island's independence.

Xi's Taiwan speech came just days after U.S. President Donald Trump signed the Asia Reassurance Initiative Act into law, reaffirming the U.S. commitment to the island's security.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-05

28 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

An army that has lost every battle except those against it's own people.  Not worried. 

Do you not think that intervening in the Korean War and regaining all the N. Korean territory that N. Korea had lost counts as a victory?

Part of which was:

Battle of the Ch'ongch'on River - Wikipedia

"In the aftermath of the battle, the US Eighth Army's heavy losses forced all UN forces to evacuate North Korea and to withdraw to the 38th parallel."

And what about this:

Sino-Indian War - Wikipedia

Sino-Indian War
China India Locator (1959).svg
The Sino-Indian War was fought between India and China
Date 20 October[1] – 21 November 1962
(1 month and 1 day)
Belligerents
23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India 23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China
Commanders and leaders
Brij Mohan Kaul
(Chief of General Staff of the Indian Army)
Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
(President of India)
Jawaharlal Nehru
(Prime Minister of India)
V. K. Krishna Menon
(Defence Minister of India)
General Pran Nath Thapar
(Chief of Army Staff of the Indian Army)
Luo Ruiqing (chief of PLA staff)[4]
Zhang Guohua (field commander)[4]
Mao Zedong
(Chairman of the Communist Party of China)
Liu Shaoqi
(President of the People's Republic of China)[5]
Zhou Enlai
(Premier of the People's Republic of China)
Lin Biao
(Vice Chairman of the Communist Party of China)
Liu Bocheng
(Marshal of PLA)
Strength
India 20,000–22,000 China 8,000[6][7]
Casualties and losses
1,383–3,250 killed
548–1,047 wounded
1,696 missing
3,968 captured[8][9]
722 killed
1,697 wounded

• Like 2

He is being open about it now. Like Kaiser Wilhelm II, he wants China's "place in the sun." The good news is that much of this is probably tied to his ego. He wants to see China conquer in his lifetime, under his leadership. The older Communists had been willing to bide their time, until Chinese domination was beyond argument--and war.  But now the Chinese cat has been belled. Just in time, because Xi couldn't restrain himself and made his move too early. Just like Kaiser Willy. No, we (the West) don't need a trade war. We must have a trade embargo and bring them to their knees. This is the one issue Trump has bipartisan support on. If he caves just to sell some soybeans . . . . China is more important than the Wall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

He know now is the time, Trump will probably refuse to send troops if they invade Taiwan unless he gets his wall... 

Didn't take long for a juvenile, unrelated comment to be posted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

imo-  the Chinese have a different sense on the value of a single human life, thus they'd be willing to sacrifice huge numbers for a victory. They'll never lose another war, ever.

I cannot disagree with the importance of the individual importance versus the state (people) as a whole value in the Asian mind which, I think you correctly state. It does make me reflect, however, on say, the U.S. current endless wars scenario. I also reflect on those American Civil War, Hamburger Hill, Pork Chop Hill, The Charge of the Light Brigade and many other battles where individuals were to be "sacrificed" for the good of the whole... Just reflecting...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

He was a child of the Maoist revolution. Leopards don't change their spots.

birds of the feather stick together..... he has UN security veto vote (along with Vlad) they back each other vote,  Vlad invaded Crimea China close their eyes.... China takes all south china sea Vlad closes his eyes, China invades Taiwan Vlad closes his eyes because he invaded Ukraine Donbass province.... got your back if you got mine

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I cannot disagree with the importance of the individual importance versus the state (people) as a whole value in the Asian mind which, I think you correctly state. It does make me reflect, however, on say, the U.S. current endless wars scenario. I also reflect on those American Civil War, Hamburger Hill, Pork Chop Hill, The Charge of the Light Brigade and many other battles where individuals were to be "sacrificed" for the good of the whole... Just reflecting...

Trouble is though if any side perceived total submission the button would be pushed. I'm saying the Chinese would sacrifice a billion souls for bragging rights.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Basil B said:

He know now is the time, Trump will probably refuse to send troops if they invade Taiwan unless he gets his wall... 

If the Chinese invade Taiwan it won't be a ground war. That's why this is meaningless. China is completely out classed by the US navy. We would station a could deal of carriers over there. The only way they could ever hope to defend themselves is with nukes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

imo-  the Chinese have a different sense on the value of a single human life, thus they'd be willing to sacrifice huge numbers for a victory. They'll never lose another war, ever.

Said any general, who sent his troops to fight, ever?

For the country, for the people, you shall give your one and only life for. 

13 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Unlike him to be sabre rattling in such an obvious and public manner. Is this a diversion for the masses from the Chinese economy whose woes may be greater than first thought?

I've read several times over the years they are waiting for the other shoe to fall in a housing bubble that will dwarf the 2008 U.S. crash. "Ghost Cities"

19 hours ago, Vacuum said:

USA-Taiwan: distance 7,619 miles....

That makes no difference if the Taiwanese people WANT to be free of Chinese oppression and choose to strengthen western links - I suspect you are a left wing America hater!!

Don't lose sight of the fact that the only international entity that would stand up, militarily,  to what China is doing is the US (other than those having their own borders invaded).  That country is in disarray at the moment, gov't shutdown, ominous economic changes, run by a fool who could be in jail soon enough.  A good time to try something, strike while the iron is hot.  Xi does not lose sleep over the UN or the EU.  My guess is one of contested island groups, like the Paracels, Spratlys, or those in the East China Sea.  If they get away with whatever they are up to, uh-oh. 

Word going around that political cartoonists depict Xi as Winnie the Pooh, and supposedly he hates it.

p.gif.fc38006b6990b917f588de63f990574d.gif

Edited by bendejo

If China invades Taiwan The USA and Europe and all those countries that support the USA and Europe should put a complete embargo on Chinese goods - this would obviously put up home price of goods like TVs but this would be a small price to pay to stop Chinese & Russian expansion - China has one strength it has 1.4 billion people prepared to produce acceptable standard goods at some of the worlds lowest wage prices. Trade is where to hit China!