Saudi woman held at Bangkok airport says fears death if sent back

webfact

24 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Its nearly 3pm in Bangkok.  UNHCR Thailand officials have still not been given access to Rahaf says an injunction has been filed by Thai lawyers to stop a deportation. Concern is once attention wanes another attempt will be made to force her on Kuwait airways.

Reported by Sophie McNeil of ABCNews

Court injunction as been denied

• Confused 1

Australian citizens can put pressure on their government, Australia can issue her a temporary travel document, and accept her as Geneva Convention refugee claimant. That is her only hope to avoid certain death in hands of Saudi regime.

She is Apostate, punishment according to Sharia is death. 

All that Thailand needs to do is NOT deport her. 

This is heartbreaking!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Credo said:

Her brother reported her for not being accompanied by a male family member.   The Saudi officials then found her and took her passport.   

I hope this isn't one of those Khashoggi bone saw stories.   The Saudi's don't take kindly to rejecting Islam.   

It won't be Khashoghi story, it will be beheading, standard method for death penalty in Saudi Arabia. 

8 hours ago, RicUSA said:

Religion - breeding hatred, bigotry, and violence since history began

But only one religion has death penalty in books for simply walking away from religion. 

People love to say all religions are equally bad, they are not. It's like saying all illnesses are same, brain cancer and common cold are same.

Lets not forget, only one religion has criminal code mandating death penalty for Apostasy!

8 hours ago, MARK74 said:

The circumstances of this case are unusual and I'm not sure the Thai authorities would be sure of what to do both legally and morally.

Actually, legally it is very simple for Thai authorities, they can choose to deport her, or they choose not to deport her. Saudis have zero say in this, legally. She is in Thailand, Thai law is what matters here.

She was denied entry to Thailand due to lack of return ticket, and lack of money. Meanwhile she holds ticket to Australia, and Australian visa. She never intended to leave transit zone, her own brother alerted Saudi gov that she is travelling without male guardian. Saudi official walked into transit zone and  took her passport. 

Thailand has her life in its hands right now.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

Australian citizens can put pressure on their government, Australia can issue her a temporary travel document, and accept her as Geneva Convention refugee claimant. That is her only hope to avoid certain death in hands of Saudi regime.

She is Apostate, punishment according to Sharia is death. 

All that Thailand needs to do is NOT deport her. 

This is heartbreaking!

Activists have urged the Government to support Ms Alqunun in her bid for asylum in Australia.

Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young echoed the sentiment, saying the young woman should be issued with emergency travel docu

"I am, and many others are, fearful of what will happen to her if she returns [to Saudi Arabia]," Ms Hanson-Young told PM.

"I implore the Government to do everything they can to help bring this young woman to Australia."

Despite having a ticket onwards to Australia, a tourist visa would not necessarily "enliven Australia's protection obligations" toward Ms Alqunun, said Professor Jane McAdam from the University of New South Wales' Kaldor Centre for International Refugee Law.

"Thailand isn't itself a signatory to the Refugee Convention," Professor McAdam said.

"But it is a signatory to a number of international human rights treaties that similarly require it not to send people to places where they are at risk of serious harm and human rights abuses.

"Australia shares that obligation, so certainly from a moral perspective it would be appropriate for Australia to urge Thailand not to violate that fundamental principle of international law."

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

Actually, legally it is very simple for Thai authorities, they can choose to deport her, or they choose not to deport her. Saudis have zero say in this, legally. She is in Thailand, Thai law is what matters here.

She was denied entry to Thailand due to lack of return ticket, and lack of money. Meanwhile she holds ticket to Australia, and Australian visa. She never intended to leave transit zone, her own brother alerted Saudi gov that she is travelling without male guardian. Saudi official walked into transit zone and  took her passport. 

Thailand has her life in its hands right now.

If the Thai authorities are deporting the woman , they have the option under section 55 Immigration act to allow her to choose an alternative route.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mogandave said:

With Leftism being the most powerful religion of all time.

Just from observations, Lefties tend to be Atheists. I, a Lefty, are opposite of brutal, barbaric religious laws. Quit Fox, it will turn what's left of your mind into a mush, next thing you'll believe what took place at Bangkok airport could also happen in any  Western Liberal Democracy. Snatching a passport from traveller, without any reproductions.

What do you think would happen if Saudi diplomat tryied to pull this in, say, Finland, 80% Atheist, extremely liberal, Left nation? 

Really, quit Fox before you lose your mind completely!

7 hours ago, smedly said:

What ?

she is in Thailand - is an adult - has broken no Thai laws - has broken no international laws - is not wanted by Interpol - Thailand has no right to detain this woman, they should not have gotten involved, some uneducated wooden top decided to take this path and abuse this persons rights for no reason at all.

Just another example of uneducated people in jobs they are not qualified to do

This abuse of rights now has the attention of the world - shame on you Thailand 

Exactly!

It is very common for IO to harass travelers in airport, usually if passport contains too many stamps and visas, the genius behind the desk is convinced "Farabg Must Be Working Here Illigaly", it wouldn't compute that many people don't hold 9-5 jobs, because IO does, so must the rest of the world. Some harm is done, traveller may be denied entry, 

But this case is life and death. IO refused entry because Saudi woman didn't possess a return ticket, and couldn't show the dreaded 20k thb. I'm sure she had cards, we all know this means nothing to IO, since he/she lives in cash society, it does not compute how someone could travel without a wad of cash.

So what usually amounts to inconvenience for unsuspecting cashless traveller, may be certain death to this Saudi woman, should Thailand deport her to home country.

This is insanity!

18 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

If the Thai authorities are deporting the woman , they have the option under section 55 Immigration act to allow her to choose an alternative route.

Kuwait Airways fly direct- BKK - KWI. Having been refused entry into Thailand the airline she arrived on is obliged to return her. If indeed she was in transit & in possession of a valid ticket to Australia & a valid Australian visa & did not attempt to enter Thailand then on what grounds can she be deported?

• Like 1

Just from observations, Lefties tend to be Atheists. I, a Lefty, are opposite of brutal, barbaric religious laws. Quit Fox, it will turn what's left of your mind into a mush, next thing you'll believe what took place at Bangkok airport could also happen in any  Western Liberal Democracy. Snatching a passport from traveller, without any reproductions.
What do you think would happen if Saudi diplomat tryied to pull this in, say, Finland, 80% Atheist, extremely liberal, Left nation? 
Really, quit Fox before you lose your mind completely!

Don’t watch Fox, but I understand how critical it is for you guys to control the dialog.

Atheist, real open minded huh? Is there anything you guys aren’t absolutely sure of?

The above news article is clearly a complete turnaround by the Thais.

Jonathan Head says, ,Let’s see. Thais also denying she has an Australian visa - she does. And saying they rejected her request for a visa to enter Thailand. She never tried. Her passport was taken the moment she arrived'.

• Like 1

The above news article is clearly a complete turnaround by the Thais.

Jonathan Head says, ,Let’s see. Thais also denying she has an Australian visa - she does. And saying they rejected her request for a visa to enter Thailand. She never tried. Her passport was taken the moment she arrived'.

It’s time Australia steps up and confirms she had a valid visa.
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Vatman said:

So it`s possible she arrived in Bangkok with no onward or return ticket & no Australian visa. That being the case where does Australia come into it? Does she just say that Australia was her preferred destination? This girl needs help.

You missed the part where it says, "Qunun said she had obtained an Australian visa and booked a flight."

• Like 1

Rahaf Mohammed has just said that 'Thai authorities have lied to me They told me I can’t ask for UN protection but they are not allowing UN to reach me I think they are trying to get me to eat the food to drug /roofie me to ship me back to Kuwait'.

• Like 1

Melissa fleming, Chief Communications Refugees, has informed Rahaf Mohammed my colleagues are at the airport now and are seeking access to you.

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Wo Nelly said:

Money talks Saudis walk. This girl will never be heard of again. Life is cheap in Thailand....remember.

Agree100%.Remember they just killed a bloke [Saudi dissident journalist] in the Saudi Embassy in Turkey and got away with it.That's faded away as the world forgets.This will too????Unless she can be saved.

Edited by findlay13

Of course I like most are concerned for this ladies safety. I hope she can find asylum. On side note (not wishing to make light of situation)..

I just saw on BBC news chat between host and live correspondent. Went something like this..."can you provide updates".. reply..."several Thai officials are telling us that she will NOT be deported to S.A. Others telling us with certainty she will"

I'm sitting I'm bkk and just imagining my friends in AU (that have never lived here) ...saying "what's with that jack". My reply.. " Thailand"

BTW can we bump the news about the other male detainee with au asylum think currently in detention. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Of course I like most are concerned for this ladies safety. I hope she can find asylum. On side note (not wishing to make light of situation)..

I just saw on BBC news chat between host and live correspondent. Went something like this..."can you provide updates".. reply..."several Thai officials are telling us that she will NOT be deported to S.A. Others telling us with certainty she will"

I'm sitting I'm bkk and just imagining my friends in AU (that have never lived here) ...saying "what's with that jack". My reply.. " Thailand"

BTW can we bump the news about the other male detainee with au asylum think currently in detention. 

They want to deport her to Kuwait, she will then be sent to Saudi but not by the Thais.

• Like 1