CONFIRMED: Here is exactly what’s needed for retirement & marriage extensions (income method) from 2019

16 hours ago, OJAS said:

IMHO the TransferWise coding issue is being blown out of all proportion. This is what I said earlier on in this thread:-

I'm not sure that it's a coding issue at all, my statements from TransferWise are very clear, the transfer to my account is a domestic transfer from a TMB, so I don't see how KK can indicate that they've received the funds from anywhere else other than from a bank within Thailand.

I suspect this will affect a number of other banks from home countries who use intermediary banks during the transfer process, a mate of mine has an account with Bank of Ayudhya, his UK bank send to HSBC, who are no longer even a retail bank, who then send to Ayudhya, taking a cut for their efforts.
As I say though, I'm not too concerned, their are other options but I will see how it pans out when it really kicks in. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, skatewash said:

I'll assume you want to get a retirement extension of stay.  I'll make conservative assumptions.  If it were me I would arrange for monthly international transfers from my home country into Thailand of more than 65,000 baht each month between now and when you will go for your extension.  Each transfer should result in an entry in your passbook that shows an international transfer (in the case of Bangkok Bank, that would be a FTT - Foreign Telegraphic Transfer transaction code).

Thanks, and this is my approach as well given the current situation. I had used the Embassy Affidavit in the past.

I just started my monthly transfers - but also plan to have 800,000 on hand at least 3 months ahead of my annual extension of stay/retirement on/about 28 Sep 2019 - from a financial insitution in the U.S. to my Bangkok Bank account.

I received an SMS from Bangkok Bank: (Day, date, time but no year shown)

From BANGKOKBANK 

FULL NAME has transferred THB7x,xxx.yy (USD2,[email protected] - THB200) from abroad into NNNXXXNNN)

And online it shows as:

08 Jan 2019 10:29  International Transfer        7x,xxx.yy    balance    User

"User" is under the "channel" heading, like ATM and CDM.

I haven't updated my passbook yet, but the BBL code for in-bound foreign transfers has been "FTT" for my annual, one-time transfers in the past.

I plan to present the evidence (copies, bank letter(s), SMSes, etc) of my Jan - Sep transfers, and of my 800,000 balance (3 months), just to be safe. I'll continue the monthly deposits on/about the 10th of each month going forward, and make sure I have the 800,000 balance.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I'm not sure that it's a coding issue at all, my statements from TransferWise are very clear, the transfer to my account is a domestic transfer from a TMB, so I don't see how KK can indicate that they've received the funds from anywhere else other than from a bank within Thailand.

I suspect this will affect a number of other banks from home countries who use intermediary banks during the transfer process, a mate of mine has an account with Bank of Ayudhya, his UK bank send to HSBC, who are no longer even a retail bank, who then send to Ayudhya, taking a cut for their efforts.
As I say though, I'm not too concerned, their are other options but I will see how it pans out when it really kicks in. 

SWIFT transfers are rather different than nonbank (TW) transfers.

with a SWIFT transfer, assuming a non Baht transfer, the intermediary bank is just that, an intermediary to the international transfers, the do not change the transfer into a local one, it remains international, then your bank gets to exchange the incoming currency to Baht.

TW may, but often doesn't make it an international transfer, they often make a local Baht transfer to you.

So unless the bank statement you have to give immigration shows an incoming TW payment as  an international transfer you can't use it to support your extension application.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 4:16 PM, MikeOKitches said:

I got my income affidavit notarized by the US Embassy here in Bangkok on November 30, 2018. I was told by the US Embassy at the time that the letter (income affidavit) I executed (and they notarized) would be valid for 6 months from date of issuance. That would mean it's valid until May 31, 2018.  My Retirement Visa renewal is scheduled for March 31, 2019. I'm hearing conflicting reports from people who've been to different Thai Immigration centers. Some say they won't accept the US Embassy notarized Income Affidavit in 2019 at all. Is there any credible source that can definitely tell me if I can use my November 30, 2018 letter (income affidavit) in March 2019 when I renew my Retirement Visa? Or is just a waste of paper now? I was planning on renewing at Thai Immigration at Chaeng Watthana here in Bangkok.  

best  way,  go  there, ask  them ,  get  the  name  of  the  officer you  speak  to, try  to  speak  to  someone  high  up.

18 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I plan to present the evidence (copies, bank letter(s), SMSes, etc) of my Jan - Sep transfers, and of my 800,000 balance (3 months), just to be safe. I'll continue the monthly deposits on/about the 10th of each month going forward, and make sure I have the 800,000 balance.

There is no harm having them available, but simply present what is required. The bank letter, signed copies of the last 2 or more months of transactions from the account book, showing a minimum balance of 800,000 baht. I always have the actual book with me but it has never been asked for. 

9 hours ago, Russell17au said:

One of the unknowns at the moment is how they will enforce the monthly transfers as there are many on here that receive their pensions on a 13x4 weekly cycle and not on a 12x1 calendar month cycle.

I think immigration will understand your transfers coming in every 4 weeks since it would be shown in your bank book or statement. Just show all 13 payment that total up for a year. If they all the same the could multiply them by 13 day and see the total is greater than 780k baht.

12 minutes ago, kannot said:

On 1/7/2019 at 4:16 PM, MikeOKitches said:

I got my income affidavit notarized by the US Embassy here in Bangkok on November 30, 2018. I was told by the US Embassy at the time that the letter (income affidavit) I executed (and they notarized) would be valid for 6 months from date of issuance. That would mean it's valid until May 31, 2018.  My Retirement Visa renewal is scheduled for March 31, 2019. I'm hearing conflicting reports from people who've been to different Thai Immigration centers. Some say they won't accept the US Embassy notarized Income Affidavit in 2019 at all. Is there any credible source that can definitely tell me if I can use my November 30, 2018 letter (income affidavit) in March 2019 when I renew my Retirement Visa? Or is just a waste of paper now? I was planning on renewing at Thai Immigration at Chaeng Watthana here in Bangkok.  

best  way,  go  there, ask  them ,  get  the  name  of  the  officer you  speak  to, try  to  speak  to  someone  high  up.

Don't bother to visit early,  CW have already confirmed, as reported by UbonJoe,  that they accept the income affidavits for 6 months from the date they are made

Edited by sometimewoodworker

just  wondering  down  the  line, i  use  the  400k  method, if  they  increase  the  amount do  they  usually grandfather in  old  applicants and  only  new  ones  pay  the  increase?

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Don't bother to visit early,  CW have already confirmed, as reported by UbonJoe,  that they accept the income affidavits for 6 months from the date they are made

i  always  play  safe,  and  would  still  go,  i  do  it  every  year a  few  days before  i  start that  years  procedure as have  had  conflicting  answers (normal) from  different  officers.

48 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

SWIFT transfers are rather different than nonbank (TW) transfers.

with a SWIFT transfer, assuming a non Baht transfer, the intermediary bank is just that, an intermediary to the international transfers, the do not change the transfer into a local one, it remains international, then your bank gets to exchange the incoming currency to Baht.

TW may, but often doesn't make it an international transfer, they often make a local Baht transfer to you.

So unless the bank statement you have to give immigration shows an incoming TW payment as  an international transfer you can't use it to support your extension application. 

Is that really the case, even if you can show evidence that it was initiated by a payment from a foreign bank.

I normally have not touched the funds, but in the last year to this year yes out of convenience. My question now is that if they are checking so acutely, if I am 100k down on the 400k and need to put back as always, in past times I would just put back into account here. Are they going to deny me the extension approval if there is 400k+ in the account and not showing coming from the outside??? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When the increased the money from 250k baht to 400k baht for extension based upon marriage it was only grandfathered for a year to give people the chance to adjust to the change for their next extension.

The long term grandfathering was only done for retirement extensions for those had an extension in 1998. I am sure though they also had a one year grace period so that people could adjust to the change.

Yes- I member this- but one has to maintain the same category to get the grandfathering- In the past I switched to a marriage extension and then back to Retirement so I did not get the grandfathering. Had I maintained the retirement extension I would have been grandfathered- something to think about under this current situation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Is that really the case, even if you can show evidence that it was initiated by a payment from a foreign bank.

Check the OP. It reads 'bank statement showing money transfer from overseas every month for past 12 months' Although not explicit it does seem to suggest this is to be a Thailand account statement. This has not been tested yet, and interpretation may vary from that, and also from region to region. I would nevertheless presume for now the evidence should show money transfers from overseas every month for into a Thai account.

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, a977 said:

If you read the last line of what is required you still need an Embassy confirmation so nothing changed we all still up shit creek without a paddle  

More clarity please. 'If you read the last line of' what exactly?

Or to put more prosaically, what on Earth are you talking about?

1 hour ago, a977 said:

If you read the last line of what is required you still need an Embassy confirmation so nothing changed we all still up shit creek without a paddle  

You to read it again and pay attention to the or statement before it.

17 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Only for monthly funds. 

That line only applies if you can get proof of income from your embassy. Without that you prove your income by months transfers to your bank account or put money in the bank for 2 or 3 months dependent upon the extension are applying for.

11 hours ago, tracy3eyes said:

I have read through 47 pages and failed to see one clear example of what one does if renewing their retirement extension in the 2nd half of 2019 using the monthly income transfer deposit method! Apologies for my multiple posts but perhaps I failed to ask the question correctly.

So if I renew in Sept/Oct 19 (within the 45 days window) what in terms of pension/income do I need to show?

I was wondering the same thing, as I am changing too BKK Bank. My renewal is in September. 

I will be using money in the bank for my next retirement extension. This will be my first time using this method.

Is it 3 months seasoning from last day of extension or 3 months before you apply? I always go 30 days early to renew.

There will be no activity on the sole account at all, just 800,000. Is that a problem? I have a joint account with all  living expense's shown.

Edited by pontious
add

2 minutes ago, pontious said:

I will be using money in the bank for my next retirement extension. This will be my first time using this method.

Is it 3 months seasoning from last day of extension or 3 months before you apply? I always go 30 days early to renew.

There will be no activity on the sole account at all, just 800,000. Is that a problem? I have a joint account with all  living expense's shown.

I think the money in the bank this is the smartest way to avoid brain damage for anyone who can manage it for this first year or two of the new changes. Also, all those who are married can switch to the extension based on marriage, and it's only half the amount of 400k. Sure, there is more hassle, and you have to return in 30 days, but still better than being the lab rats for all these new possible permutations in the next year.

Some suggestions for people who may not have the cash available: temporary borrow on credit cards for 3 months or other methods to get to the amount needed.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 5:22 PM, Pattaya46 said:

Yes of course. TI never said they would refuse Embassy Letters. This mess just because a few Embassies apparently overreacted and stopped to provide them. Business as usual for all others. :cool:

So what is it that embassies that still issue affirmation certs do differently to the embassies that have stopped . Seems to me that if some can do it then why not all ?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, pontious said:

It is 3 months before you make the application. I believe you can start spending once the extension is granted! ????

4 minutes ago, superal said:

So what is it that embassies that still issue affirmation certs do differently to the embassies that have stopped . Seems to me that if some can do it then why not all ?

Don't apply logic!

Some embassies may verify the pensions, others may just accept what you tell them and issue the letter. 

It does seem illogical, but I say good for those still able to get the letters!

Can anyone share first-hand experiences getting the certified documentation from Bangkok Bank, presumably "day-of", at their branch within the Chaeng Watthana complex?

In the past, I think one could get the necessary documents the day before the application? Does this remain an option, or must this be done the day of the application?

Is there a long wait - realizing that this can be variable?

Could you, for example, get a queue ticket first then go down to the branch, get the documents, copy them and get back up to the appropriate desk?

Are staff generally competent and able to satisfy the necessary requests?

I assume copies need to made of these documents after obtaining them?

10 minutes ago, superal said:

Depending on embassies, they may not have significative differences between their letters.

The main difference is that these other embassies didn't decided by themselves to stop them...

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, pontious said:

The 800k baht has to be in the bank for 3 months on the day you apply for the extension.

32 minutes ago, pontious said:

I assume you mean you will have the 800k baht in an account in your name only. There is no written requirement for to show activity on the account but some office want to see what you are living on that the joint account would prove.

• Thanks 1