Jump to content

Why David Bowie will never really die


snoop1130

Recommended Posts

Why David Bowie will never really die

by Lucy Jones

 

gettyimages-51144625.jpg

Starman: David Bowie broke his 'suburban curse' and created alternative universes for himself and his fans ( Getty Images )

 

David Bowie left this Earth three years ago today (January 10) and he would have turned 72 on Tuesday (8 January).

 

But of all the musical legends who have died in the last decade, Bowie feels strangely present and alive, thanks to both the internet and the alternative worlds he created which still exist for his fans.

 

I imagine most people discovered, or will discover, Bowie as teenagers, and to us he said this: you can be who you want.

 

You don’t have to be this way or that way, this kind of boy or that kind of girl.

 

Full Story: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/david-bowie-legacy-music-birthday-anniversary-tribute-ziggy-stardust-space-odyssey-a8719491.html

Link to post
Share on other sites

We can often wonder if Bowie, Hendrix, the Beatles and others will endure for hundreds of years like classical composers do. But .... we will never know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, champers said:

We can often wonder if Bowie, Hendrix, the Beatles and others will endure for hundreds of years like classical composers do. But .... we will never know.

Looking at the direction of manipulated computer sinus waves that entertainment music is taking, they might well be lasting examples of a transition period.
But they did not write pieces, symphonies or operas of any complexity, so classics hardly. Just last of the mohicans of handmade music that were followed by masses in the nascent-computerisation age.

( and that is written by someone who takes a plane to go to a last of the mohicans concert )

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

But of all the musical legends who have died in the last decade, Bowie feels strangely present and alive, thanks to both the internet and the alternative worlds he created which still exist for his fans.

As you say, only for his fans. Youngsters have no idea who Bowie is or was - since he was never a TV reality star, never married Jordon, never did a duet on the x-factor or ever won a Jungle challenge. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

As you say, only for his fans. Youngsters have no idea who Bowie is or was - since he was never a TV reality star, never married Jordon, never did a duet on the x-factor or ever won a Jungle challenge. 

Not sure. The same people who don't know of Bowie are probably as unknowing of Beethoven, Mozart and other classical composers who are still revered by many. Look at the age make up of an audience at the Proms concerts. I agree that modern popular culture is pervasive, but I contend it is not all pervasive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KKr said:

Looking at the direction of manipulated computer sinus waves that entertainment music is taking, they might well be lasting examples of a transition period.
But they did not write pieces, symphonies or operas of any complexity, so classics hardly. Just last of the mohicans of handmade music that were followed by masses in the nascent-computerisation age.

( and that is written by someone who takes a plane to go to a last of the mohicans concert )

True in a sense - "entertainment music" has become what McDonalds is vs. a proper meal, and that's on a good day. Albeit: those "manipulated computer sinus waves" (and associates, such as DAWs = digital audio workstations = a professional studio on any notebook) put a massive potential in lots of talented musician's hands. Shame only that there isn't an actual music industry anymore that is willing to promote anything but short-lived & over-hyped "stars".

 

Having said that: classical music per se is overrated. While there are unbelievable masterpieces, there's also a whole lot of classical elevator music out there, which - according to what's been said by composers themselves and people in their vicinity - was nothing more than contract labours for kings, emperors and other noblesse who could afford it, and often pieced together quite quickly and carelessly, because: deadline... Sorry, no source link for that; read about that quite some time ago, but if you take a step back, your ears can tell. 

 

(and yes, I have been known to jump on planes for mohicans concerts 😄 )

Link to post
Share on other sites

Crying shame he was taken at a age not considered to old, the fact he looked 20 years younger made it even harder to accept. The man was musically and style wise light years above anyone, and the main reason why I was on first name terms with all the girls on the make up counter in boots when I was in my teens...

Sent from my ARE-AL00 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a fan of his music, but I have great admiration for him as a person, unlike

Peltin Elton, Cliff Richard, Tom Jones, Rod Stewart etc, etc, etc, he refused to accept

a knighthood from the old girl at Buckingham Palace.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

True in a sense - "entertainment music" has become what McDonalds is vs. a proper meal, and that's on a good day. Albeit: those "manipulated computer sinus waves" (and associates, such as DAWs = digital audio workstations = a professional studio on any notebook) put a massive potential in lots of talented musician's hands. Shame only that there isn't an actual music industry anymore that is willing to promote anything but short-lived & over-hyped "stars".

 

Having said that: classical music per se is overrated. While there are unbelievable masterpieces, there's also a whole lot of classical elevator music out there, which - according to what's been said by composers themselves and people in their vicinity - was nothing more than contract labours for kings, emperors and other noblesse who could afford it, and often pieced together quite quickly and carelessly, because: deadline... Sorry, no source link for that; read about that quite some time ago, but if you take a step back, your ears can tell. 

 

(and yes, I have been known to jump on planes for mohicans concerts 😄 )

Well, I think I agree with many things you are writing there. The Mozart = Beatles of his era argument.

Then hand-made music, like by playing an instrument, vs. Digitally generated music.
In my obviously rather conservative opinion, music comes from instruments, not from chips.
Of course, electronic organs are a good point to defuse that opinion, but can be discussed as they obviously replace a pipe organ that is rather unfriendly to transport to a gig or concert.

 

Having said that, calling what some DJ's produce music, or entertainment for that matter, goes to far for my taste. All I would say is that it is loud and contains many shouts, at least those that I have seen the last few years. 

Blues, as a direction and Jazz as a direction were innovative.
Likely the direction and the changes they started will be remembered,
Not only because they were a breakaway from classics but also because of using different scales, but my guess is that very few names will survive.
Rock in all forms rode on their wave, but hey, it's only an opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

As you say, only for his fans. Youngsters have no idea who Bowie is or was - since he was never a TV reality star, never married Jordon, never did a duet on the x-factor or ever won a Jungle challenge. 

You forgot 'Strictly'

 

5 hours ago, lanng khao said:

... and the main reason why I was on first name terms with all the girls on the make up counter in boots when I was in my teens...

Sent from my ARE-AL00 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

You got that right!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...