Rival groups demonstrate in Thailand as election tensions grow

rooster59

Rival groups demonstrate in Thailand as election tensions grow

By Patpicha Tanakasempipat and Panarat Thepgumpanat

800x800 (13).jpg

A placard mocking Thailand's Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-o-cha as Pinocchio is seen as activists hold up candles while gathering to demand quick elections to end military rule at a university in Bangkok, Thailand, January 19, 2019. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Rival groups held demonstrations in Thailand's capital on Saturday, with hundreds of people demanding quick elections to end military rule and a much smaller group of pro-junta supporters saying it was too soon for a vote.

The competing protests were tiny compared to those that paralysed Bangkok in 2014 before the army seized power in the name of ending instability, but were an indication of the tensions in the run-up to a long-delayed ballot.

No date has been set for an election which was first promised for 2015 and most recently postponed from Feb. 24.

Hundreds joined a demonstration calling for elections on March 10.

"We're calling for elections as soon as possible," activist Sirawith Seritiwa told the crowd.

The junta has said the most recent election delay is because of scheduling difficulties with planning for the coronation of King Maha Vajiralongkorn in early May - although it has said it still wants the ballot held before those ceremonies.

The Election Commission of Thailand has given March 10 or March 24 as possible polling dates, but no date has been set and a royal decree must be issued before it can be.

Some 1 km (0.6 miles) from the demonstration calling for elections, around 30 counter-protesters gathered with placards at the Democracy Monument. They said they were not opposed to a ballot, but national unity must come first.

"We can wait for elections," the group's leader, Jathurun Bunbenjara, told reporters. "We don't agree with protests that create chaos... We want to see Thais come together and hold an auspicious and great coronation."

Thailand's longstanding political divide is between strongly royalist and pro-military conservatives and "red shirt" populists linked to exiled former premier Thaksin Shinawatra who have won every election since 2001.

Despite measures by the junta to entrench the ruling generals' hold on power after any election, opinion polls have shown that Thaksin's supporters remain politically strong.

Activist Sirawith denied that the group intended to create chaos ahead of the coronation - saying that holding elections earlier would reduce that danger.

It will be the first Thai coronation in living memory. The king's revered late father ruled for more than 70 years until his death in 2016.

REUTERS: 2019-01-20

32 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

and a much smaller group of pro-junta supporters saying it was too soon for a vote.

No prizes for guessing who recruited these misguided fools or for wondering if their participation would be 'funded'.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

Too bad that the people don't realise that for Thailand to progress they need honest politicians not corrupt ones. 

I am not sure they have ever experienced this phenomenon. Would be hard for them to realise there are honest politicians, I certainly don't remember too many. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

I am not sure they have ever experienced this phenomenon. Would be hard for them to realise there are honest politicians, I certainly don't remember too many. 

They probably don't get that as long as there is so much corruption (money to be made when in power) the fight to be in power will go on. The more money at stake the dirtier the fight will be, bombings, coups, streetfights / protests. The circle will go on and on. 

The people saying respect elections are right but as long as there is so much money at stake it just won't happen. Especially when those wanting power see how corrupt those in power are and know how much they are losing out. Root out the corruption with good laws and organisations and the appeal to get in power will be less as there is not that much money to be made anymore.

Until that history will repeat itself again and again.

• Like 2

Yes foreigners do have the right to 'utter' their opinion on Thai affairs even if their opinion counts for zero. But since it means absolutely squat, I guess the only reason then is because they're in love with the sound of their own voice lol. Unless you can punch a ballot here I'm not impressed how much taxes you pay, you have no real say. You can bleat like a sheep about a 'dictatorship' but for what end? Because it makes you feel better? Perhaps you're living here in a private fantasy that what you think here is relevant to the outcome of Thai affairs. There's nothing wrong living in a pretend world and in fact judging on what I've read on TV over the years there are even folks you can share this fantasy with online. Its even been suggested here and in other threads that Thais should 'rise up' and 'take the streets' or as above, a quote from a dead American suggesting blood be shed for 'liberty' lol. Why don't all these 'patriotic' foreigners just rise up themselves against the army and show the Thais how to sacrifice their lives for the 'greater good'. LOL. If you guys are so itching to make a difference and leave your mark, why don't you go back to the country you were born in so that your vote and opinion actually mean something? I mean with how messed up some of biggest countries in world are right now (brexit/trump) don't you think they need some help from concerned citizens? There must be political volunteering needs not being met in your respective country, go back there and see if you can make a difference. Because the noise pollution you're generating in Thailand is just reinforcing that you're a legend, in your own mind. 

Edited by from the home of CC
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, jayboy said:

You conflate two things which accounts for your muddled post.Firstly I don’t believe any foreigner is under the illusion that his opinion is going to change things.However it is certainly entirely natural that resident foreigners should have an opinion- except perhaps for barflies and the intellectually incurious.

Secondly although you do not make the case very well,I accept there is something a little “off” about foreigners with nothing to lose urging Thais on to the barricades.I try to avoid this.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Everybody is entitled to an opinion on how Thais should live their lives. If it makes people feel better and soothes their ego to attempt to solve the problems of other nations then they should go for it. I do believe there are foreigners here that are under the illusion that they know better and could better Thai life for Thais, for I read it daily on TV. And although it may be natural for foreigners to opine on how messed up the country their living in is, it does get rather tedious. Especially from rock throwers in glass houses.  And I'm glad you think it's a little 'off' to promote riots, how 'western' of you. 

• Like 1

I doubt very much whether there will be any mass demo's for a year or two..

The country is in suspended animation at the moment (coronation) and one or two possible long periods of mourning.

This is a transitional period-and then we will see where the power lies-or perhaps we won't,who can tell?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, YetAnother said:

love the pinocchio but doubt he is smart enough to get it

I suppose it depends on whether there is anyone on his team bright enough to "get it", and with the balls to explain it to him!

• Haha 1