Important News from Vientiane Royal Thai Embassy.

5 hours ago, elviajero said:

What do the MFA have to do with decisions about restricting visa issuance? If you're going to constantly criticise a system you really should know/learn how it works. 

Consulates operate under the MFA.  If you are saying that immigration decides how visas may be issued and dictates this to the MFA - yet still denies entry to those that pass procedures which they defined - that would only further show the inherent dishonesty involved.  But, as the illegal-denials are not uniformly applied everywhere, it would appear some honest people remain - so hard to tell what fingers are in what pies.

5 hours ago, elviajero said:

I wonder how you square your acceptance that consulates can lawfully stamp passports with this remark, with your claims that IO's that stop 'tourists' that have spent too long in the country are lawbreaking anti-foreigners.

I am not claiming it is lawful.  Each consulate has wide leverage to do what they want. 

Vientiane's stamp also said, "... may be required to show income and residence next time" - yet, that consulate would not accept those when presented (my experience and others).  It appears they used that language to try to justify their legally-unjustified policy of denying Tourist Visas to those who were qualified to receive them - but then did not actually permit use of their own defined method of overcoming the artificial-hurdle.  Instead, they tell folks to "get a new passport and come back."  And, at the same time, they don't require the flight, 20K Baht, and accommodation - which is lawfully defined.  As with immigration-offices and entry-points, there is no clear explanation or honest accountability in their processes.

Edited by JackThompson

10 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

It doesn't cost you an extra night at all. If you take the earliest flight you can reach the embassy the same day so only spend a single night away.

Good to know - that info could help some who hate the buses.  I haven't been keeping up with flight-schedules there, since I don't need Tourist Visas any more. 

So, no "rush rush" stress to get there in time to submit from the flight up, or back to catch the return flight?  When I read reports / questions on this issue, there is often concern about "Will I get there in time," and "Do I have a low-enough que-number to make it," and even taking a cross-border taxi direct from the consulate to the airport to save time.

I don't mind the big-seat VIPs, and I was only conscious for maybe 4 hrs of each journey.  The train was nice, and a different experience - but sometimes late, so I don't recommend it any more.

10 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I've never had any hassle at the airport on a domestic flight. I use the app to check in and it's all a lot less hassle than the bus station.

They are friendly enough - I used domestic flights when coming back from Penang - Hat-Yai to Bangkok.  The flight-times allowed for plenty of time to get to the airport, and still home in my bed the same night.  Glad to hear, if that (relaxed-timing) situation is now possible to more destinations.

Edited by JackThompson

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Where did you get that info from. I cannot find it on their website,

The whole Visa section is written in Thai even if you select English it stays Thai, only the prices for the visas are shown in English.it is a Joke it seems all Foreigners are Fluent Thai-language readers  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Essecola said:

Where do I go then? My friends and whole life is here. I never did anything wrong. And no, Cambodia, Vietnam, or Philippines are NOT options. I have nowhere to go.

IF longer-term Tourist-Visa options in Thailand are closed in the future (and we don't know when or how much), there are dozens of countries where you can show up tomorrow, rent an inexpensive but decent place to live, and carry on.   It is no problem to do out/ins to stay in those locations - even where you don't get an easy long-term option (like Cambodia, PI, etc). 

If this or that country are not your taste - ok, to each their own - but I think those - or Latin America - is where most of us would go, if we had to leave Thailand.  You say you would be homeless in the USA.  OK, then don't go there.  You have a USA Passport - so you have dozens of options.

Many other countries are not actively trying to keep their citizens poor, by physically-removing longer-staying foreign-sourced spenders from their economies - because that would drive up the number of poor/dissatisfied/angry citizens they have to deal with.  Those govts like our presence, and encourage us to stay. 

Yes, it sucks to be away from friends, etc.  So what to do, if Thailand amends the Immigration Act and reduces Tourist Visa use to X-months / yr?  You could then spend the permitted-months here, and the other months nearby.  Even if you don't like it there - at least you'd be sleeping indoors, yes?  Flights are cheap in-advance.  If you have over 65K Baht/mo to spend, then you are rich, by comparison to locals - so no problem to pay for a storage-unit in Thailand and your other location for furniture, etc - even pay for locals to help moving your stuff during transitions.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, DieterWiehe said:

The whole Visa section is written in Thai even if you select English it stays Thai, only the prices for the visas are shown in English.

it is a Joke it seems all Foreigners are Fluent Thai-language readers  

They just suppose that Foreigners are able to use Google Translate... :cool:

20 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

IF longer-term Tourist-Visa options in Thailand are closed in the future (and we don't know when or how much), there are dozens of countries where you can show up tomorrow, rent an inexpensive but decent place to live, and carry on.   It is no problem to do out/ins to stay in those locations - even where you don't get an easy long-term option (like Cambodia, PI, etc). 

If this or that country are not your taste - ok, to each their own - but I think those - or Latin America - is where most of us would go, if we had to leave Thailand.  You say you would be homeless in the USA.  OK, then don't go there.  You have a USA Passport - so you have dozens of options.

Many other countries are not actively trying to keep their citizens poor, by physically-removing longer-staying foreign-sourced spenders from their economies - because that would drive up the number of poor/dissatisfied/angry citizens they have to deal with.  Those govts like our presence, and encourage us to stay. 

Yes, it sucks to be away from friends, etc.  So what to do, if Thailand amends the Immigration Act and reduces Tourist Visa use to X-months / yr?  You could then spend the permitted-months here, and the other months nearby.  Even if you don't like it there - at least you'd be sleeping indoors, yes?  Flights are cheap in-advance.  If you have over 65K Baht/mo to spend, then you are rich, by comparison to locals - so no problem to pay for a storage-unit in Thailand and your other location for furniture, etc - even pay for locals to help moving your stuff during transitions.

If it means I truly have to leave, I will NEVER come back here to a place that lied to me that way. Before I came to Thailand the first time, I asked for info in the local consulate, they said I can stay as long as I want so long as I don't overstay and always get new visas in a timely fashion. So look there, was that telling the truth or LYING? No way I will spend one more baht here if this crap actually happens. Had ENOUGH of the constant worry and never knowing how to plan ahead nicely. Horrible really. It would have been way too unreasonable to offer paid options for 100-120,000b per year for ppl like me wouldnt it. Of course. They need to pull 500,000b out of ppl regardless if their future plans change and they lose a huge chunk of the amount.

Honestly, comparing places like the Philippines and Cambodia to what you can do in Bangkok is ridiculous. As far as medical services, shopping, almost anything really. I don't need to have someone yell "tuk tuk sir" at me dozens of times per day. It is a hell hole

Edited by Essecola
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Essecola said:

Honestly, comparing places like the Philippines and Cambodia to what you can do in Bangkok is ridiculous. As far as medical services, shopping, almost anything really. I don't need to have someone yell "tuk tuk sir" at me dozens of times per day. It is a hell hole

The Philippines and Cambodia don't have medical services so Thailand is really the only option. 

The only reason I can see to do this system is to check the history of the applicant.

They would be at a disadvantage otherwise with the new system, because presently they flip through a passport when you step in the place to get to the application stage.

Setting up an appointment, only to have to reject someone at the front area when they are over the TV limit stamps just does not make any sense.

I just wonder if there would be any grace period being away from Thailand if you have used the TV/Ed route previously, and racked up quite a lot of continuous time here. Would a person keep getting rejected for an METV in their own country if they tried after 3/6 months 1 year away from Thailand  with a substantial back history ? Would METV/Ed visa history affect applying for other ed visas or volunteering ? Quite a lot of unknows but luckily I have quite a bit of time on my current visa till tourist visa application rejections before consulate walk-in stage churn up inevitably on TV from people who have to apply online (UK) or this 'fuzzy appointment system' in Vient....

What a change, they used to give out triples without batting an eyelid which conveyed that yes, staying 9 months in a year was absolutely fine and that could be back-to-back with no issues.

Not sure if a new govt. coming in will make any difference as the junta retain strings to what can and cannot be changed in law.

Edited by freedomnow

31 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The Philippines and Cambodia don't have medical services so Thailand is really the only option. 

Philippines is the only Asian country to give the full pension UK, they have a reciprocal agreement with the UK, you get your full increment pension increases, 

7 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Philippines is the only Asian country to give the full pension UK, they have a reciprocal agreement with the UK, you get your full increment pension increases, 

Yes, and at the end of all that, it is to be someone who is living in the Philippines. "sir" 

No thanks. 

48 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The Philippines actually has some very good private medical facility's. Of course, they are not free or particularly cheap if your not insured.

1 hour ago, DieterWiehe said:

The whole Visa section is written in Thai even if you select English it stays Thai, only the prices for the visas are shown in English.it is a Joke it seems all Foreigners are Fluent Thai-language readers  

It's best to keep an eye on the individual Embassy's and consulates Facebook pages for the latest updates and changes. They update them continuously daily to get the message out via social media. Those not in English are easily translated with a click of the mouse.
The majority of Embassy websites are rarely updated so most of the time, the requirements can be out of date.

17 minutes ago, Essecola said:

Yes, and at the end of all that, it is to be someone who is living in the Philippines. "sir" 

No thanks. 

Options if you not want Thailand, Panama, Philippines, OR home, back to our own country.   I just suggested for a stop-gap to Thai Elite to issue a 1 year Elite suggesting 120,00, if enough troubled ex pats do this it could be a short term savior,  COME ON THAI VISA EX PATS DO IT.  Another option to help

you guys are not in your right mind. you can receive just as good of care in phnom penh as bangkok !!   there is a thai owned hospital with foreign doctors trained in western countries. you will not be dealing with khmer people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Options if you not want Thailand, Panama, Philippines, OR home, back to our own country.   I just suggested for a stop-gap to Thai Elite to issue a 1 year Elite suggesting 120,00, if enough troubled ex pats do this it could be a short term savior,  COME ON THAI VISA EX PATS DO IT.  Another option to hel

You are an extremely clever person. Why didn't I think of this before, wait for the expats in thaivisa to issue a 1 year elite visa. Well I need to say thank you, the problems are now solved. 

Edited by Essecola

15 minutes ago, Essecola said:

You are an extremely clever person. Why didn't I think of this before, wait for the expats in thaivisa to issue a 1 year elite visa. Well I need to say thank you, the problems are now solved. 

I didn't say Quote, "Wait for the ex pats in Thai visa to issue a 1 year visa".      Please read again, I SUGGESTED that all ex pats affected by the new visa requirements to contact Thai Elite there will be thousand and more that could do with a 1 year Elite to help them out.  OK My suggestion was a 1 year Elite for 120,000 baht.  Even Thai Visa forum to be a spokesperson on this subject would have some clout.

1 hour ago, Essecola said:

If it means I truly have to leave, I will NEVER come back here to a place that lied to me that way. Before I came to Thailand the first time, I asked for info in the local consulate, they said I can stay as long as I want so long as I don't overstay and always get new visas in a timely fashion. So look there, was that telling the truth or LYING? No way I will spend one more baht here if this crap actually happens. Had ENOUGH of the constant worry and never knowing how to plan ahead nicely. Horrible really. It would have been way too unreasonable to offer paid options for 100-120,000b per year for ppl like me wouldnt it. Of course. They need to pull 500,000b out of ppl regardless if their future plans change and they lose a huge chunk of the amount.

I truly don't think anyone has lied to you, it is just that the goal posts have changed. There was a time that you could stay here for unlimited periods of time, but that is now over. IMO, this is not just a decision by immigration against long term 'tourists', but more to do with internal security and keeping a closer look at who is staying here. If that is the case, it would be a decision I would fully endorse in defence of the population of the country, even if it caused some slight stress to long term visitors.

I am not sure how you have been living here for 10 years as to what sort of visas you have been using, but the OP is only talking about the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. There are plenty of other choices to obtain visas at this time locally without too much difficulty. IMO, you are over-reacting to the entire subject. The end of the world is not nigh, chill out a bit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ginjag said:

I didn't say Quote, "Wait for the ex pats in Thai visa to issue a 1 year visa".      Please read again, I SUGGESTED that all ex pats affected by the new visa requirements to contact Thai Elite there will be thousand and more that could do with a 1 year Elite to help them out.  OK My suggestion was a 1 year Elite for 120,000 baht.  Even Thai Visa forum to be a spokesperson on this subject would have some clout.

They will just laugh

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

I truly don't think anyone has lied to you, it is just that the goal posts have changed. There was a time that you could stay here for unlimited periods of time, but that is now over. IMO, this is not just a decision by immigration against long term 'tourists', but more to do with internal security and keeping a closer look at who is staying here. If that is the case, it would be a decision I would fully endorse in defence of the population of the country, even if it caused some slight stress to long term visitors.

I am not sure how you have been living here for 10 years as to what sort of visas you have been using, but the OP is only talking about the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. There are plenty of other choices to obtain visas at this time locally without too much difficulty. IMO, you are over-reacting to the entire subject. The end of the world is not nigh, chill out a bit.

You are right. Just looks like the chilling out will not be at my place in Thailand. Looks like its just for the old fellas now. 

Edited by Essecola

2 minutes ago, Essecola said:

You are right. Just looks like the chilling out will not be at my place in Thailand. Looka like its just for the old fellas now. 

Hey my friend OK for old fellas  ???  how wrong you are I am 76  been coming here 39 years but living here 14 years Udon.     It is not just for old fellas, it really means if you not have 65k per month, or 800k in a Thai bank.   you do NOT have choices, no matter what age.   Sorry state of affairs when over my time here I have spent  Mega Millions here mostly into rural area family, sponsored schools, temples, 5 cars, condo,   Thai Airways tickets all those years.  This is what gratitude we get.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, at15 said:

im trying to book an appointment for mid februrary, but the website is a joke. has anyone figured something out ? 

How bout going to Savannakhet before that consulate is done over as well. Only a $105 flight from Vientiane. 

2 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Hey my friend OK for old fellas  ???  how wrong you are I am 76  been coming here 39 years but living here 14 years Udon.     It is not just for old fellas, it really means if you not have 65k per month, or 800k in a Thai bank.   you do NOT have choices, no matter what age.   Sorry state of affairs when over my time here I have spent  Mega Millions here mostly into rural area family, sponsored schools, temples, 5 cars, condo,   Thai Airways tickets all those years.  This is what gratitude we get.

I have 65k per month. How come there is no visa for me?

10 minutes ago, at15 said:

im trying to book an appointment for mid February,

but the website is a joke. has anyone figured something out ? 

Seems they say "from January 28"...

and indeed I see no active link yet to make an appointment.

Wait & see...

Edited by Pattaya46

8 minutes ago, Essecola said:

I don't know your case, but Thailand offer many types of visa,

and - as long as you have enough money to qualify -

there are visas available for (nearly?) everyone. :smile:

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Essecola said:

If this said amount is transferred from your pension source to a Thai bank per month, you get a retirement visa, OR you put 800,000 deposit in the Thai bank to lay there 3 months then apply with the relevant forms of application and the bank letter to verify is has been there 3 months

17 minutes ago, ginjag said:

If this said amount is transferred from your pension source to a Thai bank per month, you get a retirement visa, OR you put 800,000 deposit in the Thai bank to lay there 3 months then apply with the relevant forms of application and the bank letter to verify is has been there 3 months

<removed>  im not on a pension. I am under 50 years old 

wow , the editors are out today. nice. spend your money in a place for almost a decade of your younger yeatrs. get kicked out. I want a refund

Edited by Essecola
removed a flame comment