Important News from Vientiane Royal Thai Embassy.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:
  • The rules under which immigration officials can deny entry are specified quite explicitly in the Immigration Act, and are subject to few exceptions.

Expect 12.10, which refers to section 16, which gives powers for anyone or group to be denied for any reason the Minister sees fit.

• Immigration officials have publicly been given discretion to deny entry to those requesting a visa exempt entry if (in the sole judgement of the official) the traveller is using visa exempt entries to live in Thailand. There is no right of appeal against the official's decision.

Discretional power given without a law change, regulation or specific reason for denial used under section 16. Entries are denied using 12.2, 12.3 or 12.9.

• I do not believe immigration officials have been given discretion to deny people entry when they are entering with visas. They are supposed to grant or deny entry solely according to the reasons for denying entry in Section 12 of the Immigration Act. I am well aware that other countries do give immigration officials discretionary powers. Thailand's Immigration Act clearly states that only the Minister has the power to arbitrarily admit or exclude individual travellers or groups of travellers.
  • They ARE ONLY denying entry under section 12.
  • The Immigration Act gives power to the Minister to give power to IO's to deny entry.
  • You have expressed the view that the Minister has delegated his powers to immigration officials, but this has been kept a secret. While I will admit that keeping this secret would make some sense (as it is clearly contrary to the intent of the Immigration Act) I believe such an intentional major change in officials' powers would have been addressed by amending the Immigration Act, not by secret orders.

No I haven't expressed that view. I have said that the same discretion given to IO's to deny visa exempt entry could have been given to IO's to deny tourist visa holders. Denying visa exemption didn't require any change in the law or regulation, or the curtesy of a public announcement. Neither does denying a visa holder for the same reason.

The reason no law or regulation was/is required is because they are using other qualifying reasons to deny entry.

• Currently (albeit rarely) people with visas are being denied entry with the immigration official knowing full well that the reason stamped in the passport as the reason for the denial is bogus. Further, it seems people are denied their legal right to appeal.

The reasons used to deny entry are not bogus. A visitor could qualify for one or more reason under section 12, whether or not they are long term tourists.

You seem to continue to miss the point that those being denied under visa exemption are not being denied entry "for the purpose of extending their stay, which is considered from the tourism point of view to be longer than necessary and not in line with the purpose permitted while entering country.", which is the underlying reason for denial; but for other reasons under section 12. The same other reasons are being used to deny entry to an insignificant number of tourist visa holders that are considered by the IO to have spent too long in the country as a tourist.

You/others seem to accept that denying visa exempt entry is lawful even though "bogus" reasons are used, but believe it's unlawful for visa holders, doing the same thing, to be denied for the same reasons, knowing a visa does not give any right of entry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You/others seem to accept that denying visa exempt entry is lawful even though "bogus" reasons are used, but believe it's unlawful for visa holders, doing the same thing, to be denied for the same reasons, knowing a visa does not give any right of entry.

I believe there is a difference, yes.

Visas are issued by consulates, with the discretion on whether to grant them residing there. Immigration has the discretion with visa exemption, and to determine whether people qualify according to the published regulations.

That being said, it would be better if discretionary denials of visa exempt entries were not using Section (2) as the justification. It would seem that Section 12 (1) or Section 12 (10) could validly be used if my analysis is correct.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BritTim said:
42 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I believe there is a difference, yes.

Visas are issued by consulates, with the discretion on whether to grant them residing there. Immigration has the discretion with visa exemption, and to determine whether people qualify according to the published regulations.

Holding a visa is irrelevant and makes no difference. IO’s have the same power to deny entry to visa holders being denied under section 12.

Currently the only published regulations regarding visa exemption are the qualifying nationals, and the 2 entry per year land border limit.

MFA;

10.  Royal Thai Embassies and Royal Thai Consulates-General have the authority to issue visas to foreigners for travel to Thailand.  The authority to permit entry and stay in Thailand, however, is with the immigration officers.  In some cases, the immigration officer may not permit foreigner holding a valid visa entry into Thailand should the immigration officer find reason to believe that he or she falls into the category of aliens prohibited from entering Thailand under the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, at15 said:

appointment system delayed until 30 jan 2019. 

They should be putting back implementation for at least two weeks. It is clear they are not ready. The delay will cause someone to lose face, but nothing to what is likely to happen if they try to proceed without a properly tested system.

Because there is no pre-approval involved.  The visitor shows up, and can be denied the exempt, so denied the entry.  They can stamp any reason, because there is no legal path to appeal, so it cannot be challenged.  By law, a Tourist Visa denial could be appealed, though immigration appear to be worried about precedent (and possibly being exposed as criminals) in a judicial proceeding, so have not yet allowed that process to occur. 

With the lack of appeal proceedings, we see more evidence that the "higher ups" don't all agree with the hard-liners.  Otherwise, they would have happily accepted an appeal, and used the win in court as a precedent in their favor.  The courts here are not known as biased towards the defense - yet even in that environment, immigration didn't want to test the waters.

I don’t think Thailand goes in for that sort of thing. As I understand it an appeal is made to a panel made up of people who hold similar position to those who created the Immigration Act. A decision once made is final, there is no court of law and you will not be present or represented except on paper.

No one holding a valid visa should ever be denied entry unless new information has come to light or the conditions changed since the visa was issued, if they are then the system is broken. A visa shows that the holder has been fully scrutinised and found to satisfy the conditions laid down in the Immigration Act and police orders. A visa relieves the IO of doing anything more than recording your arrival. If visas are not accepted by individual IOs then it must be because they don’t trust their consular officers to do a good job, that is a very poor show.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wobalt said:
3 hours ago, at15 said:

appointment system delayed until 30 jan 2019. 

Source?

The nearest to that I have seen is a comment on the Facebook page that the FAQ about the appointment system will be up on January 30th.

So what is the sense of the system then? Besides a appointment system

Gesendet von iPad mit Thaivisa Connect

If you apply for a non-o based on Mariage besides you passport and booking details you would have to upload your marriage certificate (possibly it is in German) and her id -card. So on what base it would be pre-approved or denied?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, wobalt said:

If you apply for a non-o based on Mariage besides you passport and booking details you would have to upload your marriage certificate (possibly it is in German) and her id -card. So on what base it would be pre-approved or denied?

At Vientiane you only request an appointment online and hand over the application and supporting documents at the consular section.

8 minutes ago, wobalt said:

Yes, but in the UK and possibly other places in future?

But his topic is about Vientiane although many people have derailed it by writing about what will happen in the future at other locations.

Singapore has required uploading the supporting document for about 2 years now.

13 hours ago, elviajero said:

Back to the point. It doesn't matter what the underlying reason is. The claim was that people are unlawfully denied entry, which is simply and evidently not true. They are being denied using reasons given in section 12 of the immigration act. That makes it lawful. 

So let's say later police comes to your house and arrests you for selling drugs (you don't sell drugs), then this is lawful in your opinion because selling drugs is illegal by law.

That's about the argumentation that you use.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Not a resident of Singapore, but you can find as follows:
The applicants are also required to visit the website of the Royal Thai Embassy: www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-consular
For walk-in applicants, it will take 2-3 business days from the date of submission of visa at the Embassy.
Important technical information for filling online visa application can be referred at the “HELP” section on the online application website.
The applicants are also required to visit the website of the Royal Thai Embassy: www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-consular for detailed information about Thai Visa.
https://www.thaiembassy.sg/announcements/electronic-visa-application

12 minutes ago, Tsm12345 said:

I can not find application forms on neither of the two websites. Anyone has a link? Seems like they didn't update anything today.

They posted a notice on their FaceBook that the website with info about it will not be updated until the 30th.

Still no info on this site. http://www.thaivisavientiane.org/

2 hours ago, wobalt said:

Not a resident of Singapore, but you can find as follows:
The applicants are also required to visit the website of the Royal Thai Embassy: www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-consular
For walk-in applicants, it will take 2-3 business days from the date of submission of visa at the Embassy.
Important technical information for filling online visa application can be referred at the “HELP” section on the online application website.
The applicants are also required to visit the website of the Royal Thai Embassy: www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-consular for detailed information about Thai Visa.
https://www.thaiembassy.sg/announcements/electronic-visa-application

Apart from Singapore residents, only certain citizens apply in Singapore by 'Walk in'. You really don't want to be in that class as it takes 4-6 weeks to obtain a visa for a walk in non Singapore resident. Everybody else has to use online application which they ask you to do allowing a month before you travel. The 2-3 day to allowance is referring to Singapore residents.
If you are in any doubt, give it a try an walk in.

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2019 at 12:12 PM, ubonjoe said:

Not in Vientiane since they don't allow agents to do the application.

An agent did my visa (marriage) a while back. Sorted the money out at 11am. Everything done at 15-30pm same day. That was a Thursday. It was International woman's day on the Friday. Embassy closed. Would have meant a w/e stay otherwise.

Cost me in total 6k baht. Back in Thailand that afternoon.

Because like every post made, you seem to want to argue about what you can and cannot do.

Same you always argue in favor of the online system.knowing everything. I told that I am not a resident ofSingapore. How can I apply there? Germany has not introduced the online system if and to what extent depend on many factors

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 hours ago, elviajero said:

Wow! Corruption within immigration. If we only knew! Your kind seem unable to separate genuine corruption with immigration doing their job!

My point is that when you are dealing with an agency where corruption and ineptitude are rampant, making a blanket claim such as "their denials are lawful!" is nothing more than a bad joke.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

So let's say later police comes to your house and arrests you for selling drugs (you don't sell drugs), then this is lawful in your opinion because selling drugs is illegal by law.

That's about the argumentation that you use.

What!!! Is that supposed to be an analogous?

Any of the three usual reasons used by IO’s when denying long term tourists are lawful in their own right. E.g. If a long or short term tourist doesn’t have the requisite 10K/20K in cash, and is denied entry (12.9), the denial is lawful. 

Any of the three reasons used for denial can be appealed if you beleive they are unlawful. Immigration not allowing an appeal would be unlawful.

IMO a long term tourist denied under 12.2, 12.3 or 12.9 has got no chance of a successful appeal.

If regulation was passed under section 16 to deny entry based on time spent in the country 12.1 or 12.10 (s.16) could be used. That would then give an Immigration Officer four lawful reasons to deny most long term tourists, and a lot more long term tourists would be denied.