British teenager, 17, killed while on holiday in Thailand

rooster59

British teenager, 17, killed while on holiday in Thailand

36539558_154844996657225_r.jpeg

A teenager from the UK has died after being involved in a motorbike accident while on holiday in Thailand.

Anthony Ryan, 17, who was visiting Thailand on his first trip abroad, was killed in the accident on Thursday, local media in the UK reported.

Anthony, who was originally from Bradford but had recently moved to Cornwall, was on holiday in Thailand with his boss. The report didn’t state where in Thailand the accident happened.

His devastated mum, Clare Wright, 40, told the The Telegraph and Argus: "He was on his first holiday with his boss from work.

"He was an amazing boy, had just turned his life around and was doing really well.

"He had a good job and was going back to college.

"He had his whole life ahead of him and was the eldest of five brothers.  

"They are going to be lost without their big brother and we just want to get him home now."

Anthony’s family have now asked for help in repatriating the 17 year old’s body back to the UK after he went on holiday to Thailand without taking out any insurance.

The family are trying to raise £5,000 and have set up a GoFundMe page online.

“Anthony  Ryan is a 17 year old boy who loved life and loved everyone around him”, the page reads.

"He found himself a good job and started to love his new life then tragedy happened.

"He travelled to Thailand with a friend and he had a tragic motorbike accident and died.

"The young boy was 17 and is now stuck in Thailand.  His family and friends are desperate to get him home to give him a proper burial.

"I am asking anyone to please get this young boy home, the most we can do as community is pull together and get Anthony home and let’s all give him the send off he deserves."

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-27

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else fondly remember the days when we all got travel insurance before we went on holidays abroad? Wouldn't have saved the kids' life, sure, but the body repatriation clause would prevent his family from having to ask for handouts to get him back home again. 

Personal responsibility is a bit too much for people these days.

4 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Travel insurance does not cover motorbike accidents, to my knowledge. RIP and condolences to the family.

Many won't cover hospital bills etc, but it will cover body repatriation in the event of death, however that death might occur.

Condolences to the family.

"Friend/Boss" was remiss in not seeing that his charge carried insurance.

17 ... Still wet behind the ears. Pretty young to be riding a motorcycle in Thailand.

It is every parents worst nightmare to lose a child, no matter how old they are. Having one die overseas compounds the misery. I wish her the best of luck in getting her boy home. One would like to think others will take notice and make sure they have insurance before travelling abroad, especially to dangerous places like here, but youngsters tend to think they are bullet proof and accidents only happen to other people, right?

Got to ask, if his boss took him out here, why isn't he taking responsibility for getting him home?

7 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

It is every parents worst nightmare to lose a child, no matter how old they are. Having one die overseas compounds the misery. I wish her the best of luck in getting her boy home. One would like to think others will take notice and make sure they have insurance before travelling abroad, especially to dangerous places like here, but youngsters tend to think they are bullet proof and accidents only happen to other people, right?

Absolutely.

4 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Or an IDP.

IDP replicates the info on the driver's licence.

It has been many years since the UK offered full motorcycle licences to 17-year-olds. The best a 17-year-old can get is an A1 licence. An A1 licence is basically up to 125 cc bikes, depending on power. To get this he would have to have passed 2 tests and done basic training.

If he was riding more than a 125, he had no valid licence. If he was riding more than a 50 cc without A1, he had no valid licence.

More info required.

40 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Travel insurance does not cover motorbike accidents, to my knowledge

it does as long as you are not breaking the law, its the same in every country.

Wearing a helmet, licenced, not speeding DUI etc. - you must be legal and the insurance will pay out.

sadly many tourists come here and break the law.

5 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

it does as long as you are not breaking the law, its the same in every country.

Wearing a helmet, licenced, not speeding DUI etc. - you must be legal and the insurance will pay out.

sadly many tourists come here and break the law.

This is not true..

A lot of insurance policies exclude any accident while riding a motorbike.

My work insurance is just one example. Whilst it covers me fully whilst on holiday, it definitely excludes motorbikes.

I'm sure it is the same with a lot of other insurers.

Just now, cornishcarlos said:

This is not true..

A lot of insurance policies exclude any accident while riding a motorbike.

My work insurance is just one example. Whilst it covers me fully whilst on holiday, it definitely excludes motorbikes.

I'm sure it is the same with a lot of other insurers.

you get what you pay for.

30 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

If he was riding more than a 125, he had no valid licence. //

110!

UK rules don't apply in Thailand.

In Thailand you must be 18yo to drive a bike more than 110

(from 15yo to 18yo you can drive bike up to 110, but still need a licence)

39 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

t has been many years since the UK offered full motorcycle licences to 17-year-olds. The best a 17-year-old can get is an A1 licence. An A1 licence is basically up to 125 cc bikes, depending on power. To get this he would have to have passed 2 tests and done basic training.

Off topic I know but Wow!!! The above statement just totally outlines the reason for the massive difference between the road death toll in the U.K. and Thailand.

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

Anyone else fondly remember the days when we all got travel insurance before we went on holidays abroad?

No.

Never did.

Inc 5000 mile, 3-4 week motorcycle tours across foreign countries.

IMO, travel insurance is a waste of paper, time & money, in most cases a waste of the paper it is printed on, and the companies in the majority of cases are just Robbing Bastards trying to wriggle out of any claims due to the small print.

Thieving Scumbags.

Next...

Just now, thaiguzzi said:

No.

Never did.

Inc 5000 mile, 3-4 week motorcycle tours across foreign countries.

IMO, travel insurance is a waste of paper, time & money, in most cases a waste of the paper it is printed on, and the companies in the majority of cases are just Robbing Bastards trying to wriggle out of any claims due to the small print.

Thieving Scumbags.

Next...

Right, so no doubt if you'd died doing that, your family also would have been having to cover the cost to repatriate your body. Hypothetical I know, but foreigners die on Thai roads, often, so this kid won't be the last one in this situation. 

I've never had any issues with travel insurance and have made a number of claims. 

34 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Pretty pointless arguing over licence and insurance the poor lad is dead if he had both before hand he would still be dead RIP????

Your last part is correct, however the main reason that these sad news are posted here is the usual fundraising, so I do not find it pointless to argue over licence and insurance.

28 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Does anyone have any further details of the crash? e.g. where it occurred or what bike he was riding?

I find it suspicious that there is absolutely no details provided about the accident that took his life. What happened? Who was at fault???  If not the fault of the young lad, then why isn't the guilty party putting up the cash to repatriate him?

31 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Does anyone have any further details of the crash? e.g. where it occurred or what bike he was riding?

You would have thought an accident like this would have been all over in the local Thai news. But looks to me they did a nice job hiding it so the tourist island can keep the TAT happy. 

41 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Pretty pointless arguing over licence and insurance the poor lad is dead if he had both before hand he would still be dead RIP????

Perhaps not. Also depends on who's fault the accident was. If he held a UK licence then he would have had some 'road sense' and maybe things would be different If this was his first time on a bike then inexperience may have played a part. Who knows? Sleep good young guy.

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

A teenager from the UK has died after being involved in a motorbike accident while on holiday in Thailand.

I can't find any report that says that he was actually riding the bike himself, only that he died in a bike accident. He was on holiday with his boss and may well have been riding pillion for all we know, making the licence issue possibly redundant. I am a little surprised his mum let a 17 year old go to Thailand in the first place, and allowing it without any travel insurance was not a wise move. However, that is water under the bridge. I hope her appeal raises the money necessary to bring the lad home.

Archived