Thailand welcomes a record 38.27 million tourists in 2018

webfact

22 minutes ago, HHTel said:

stlouis2.jpgThis what 100,000 people look like and the TAT say 105,000 TOURISTS enter Thailand every day of the year!!

In 2015 Suvarnabhumi airport handled 52.9 million passengers, in 2018 it handled 63.4 million passengers a year... Thats 174,000 per day at just the one airport - what percentage of those passengers are tourists????  

105,000 tourist per day seems like perfectly reasonable figure...

The climax before the implosion - lets see! 

Seen these hordes of Chinese invaders all over the place; they (seriously) scare away any other living form of existence of this planet, ransacking absolutely everything in their path.

Good luck to all those operators and service providers NOT catering to the Chinese cause - they will all be out of business anytime soon. If tourists are made to turn away they will never come back; see Europe with Greece, Italy or Spain to name a few. No learning curve here either, how sad .... 

13 hours ago, madmen said:

Your fixated on Pattaya/phuket china's . In BKK every mall every hi so brand shop is crawling with middle class Chinese and they are spending. The Russians on the other hand are mostly living in 7/11 's

Yes, I agree, but the TAT and Tourism Ministry are fixated on numbers and despite the middle-class spending Thais, the big arrival (not spending) numbers are still the low cost tour groups.

However, following up your point on big spending Chinese, they do also exist here in Phuket. I had a rare visit to an upmarket restaurant last night and the whole place had to listen to a group of about 20 young Chinese playing drinking games. This is a place with five star drinks prices so they picked up a pretty hefty bill!

If we can belive statistics:

the average length of stay for foreign visitors were recorded at an average of 4.8 days in 2017

and when i see the lenght of stay by country

seems american and european tourist stay an average of 16 days , but there numbers are falling/stagnat.

meaning , even if you grwoth the total numbers, not mean  you have  more........

but in terms of spending, it seems now, that asian tourist spending per day is simmilar to western tourist  now, compare to a while ago...only europeans ,spending less than all other countrys ,far behind us and china with ony 120 usd /day compare to chinese with 180usd

..and thats why me and many other have the feeling, there are lesss tourists out,  yes if we see the bussenes made for western tourists , it is very bad. streets by night are empty and shops on the brink of bancrupcy.  TRUE.....

The Paradies for westeners is over

• Like 1

next in Thailand

Shanghai’s million dollar toy boys: Online storm in China after police bust ladies’ club

South China Morning Post Phoebe Zhang,South China Morning Post
https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/travel-leisure/article/2136367/women-only-sex-club-makes-its-asian-debut-shanghai-doing

On 1/28/2019 at 1:06 PM, smutcakes said:

Figures i saw from the Tourism Ministry were Q1 30.2% increase in Chinese tourists YOY, Q2 21.3% increase YOY, -8.8% in Q3 and -17.2% Q4 up to the end of November.

Top 5 tourist countries are:

China- (28% of total tourist) 7.9% YOY growth

Malaysia- (10% of total tourist) 19.40% YOY growth etc

The figures are not that difficult to believe.

Yes they are difficult to believe. If you're a regular reader of ThaiVisa and go back over the last year, you'll find countless stories of businesses in tourist areas lamenting the drop off in tourism. 

Something doesn't add up. Anecdotally, the sky was falling according to these various news reports. Then the official numbers come in and they something completely different. 

On 1/28/2019 at 7:43 PM, totally thaied up said:

So very true

At Central Festival in Chiang Mai today. I watched one Chinese family spend 15,000 just on shoes at the checkout. They are spending. Just about everywhere I have been this week, I have seen loads and loads of Chinese and they are flush with money. We ate at a Ramen Noodle Shop today and it was full of Chinese. Some of the Night Market eating areas at are just loaded to the gills with Chinese eating (North Gate) with boiled pork (Khao Ka Moo) being super popular.

No, plenty of Chinese in Chiang Mai at this moment of time.

I flew out of CM on Monday and the airport was absolutely rammed with people, mostly Chinese. I fly every week and this was one of the biggest crowds of people I have seen.

On 1/28/2019 at 12:46 PM, smutcakes said:

Maybe western tourists are less prevalent but there is no doubt other nationalities like China are picking up the slack. Minuscule sample but i stayed in the Avani Pattaya on Friday night(which was packed with Chinese), i tried to book an extra night on Saturday but it was 100% full, tried the Hilton and Amari, both 100% occupied. Managed to get a room elsewhere but there is no doubting it was exceedingly busy, and mostly Chinese in the higher end hotels.

People criticize them for not spending money, but they certainly are. Which bit are you claiming is a spin doctor at work?

Smutcakes - You know me and I know you. You also know I have no dog in the tourism fight. But friends of mine who do, report a grim situation in the south. I am told that the entertainment and diving industries are in freefall.

Now maybe they are lying, but why would they lie to me?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, baboon said:

Smutcakes - You know me and I know you. You also know I have no dog in the tourism fight. But friends of mine who do, report a grim situation in the south. I am told that the entertainment and diving industries are in freefall.

Now maybe they are lying, but why would they lie to me?

Baboon, i know it has been a very tough year for places like KT and perhaps Samui, but i presume most of your friends focus on the western tourism market. Bare in mind that only 20% of Thai tourism is from Europe and the Americas and up to 74% from Asia Pacific. A bad year for Western markets in the island destinations can be fairly easily offset by increases from APAC.

Anyway its all anecdotal, and no one will ever know how accurate or not the numbers are.

• Like 1