Jump to content

E-cigarettes help more smokers quit than patches and gum, study finds


webfact

Recommended Posts

E-cigarettes help more smokers quit than patches and gum, study finds

By Kate Kelland

 

2019-01-30T224349Z_2_LYNXNPEF0T20C_RTROPTP_4_GLOBAL-VAPING.JPG

A saleswoman holds an e-cigarette as she demonstrates vaping at the Vape Shop that sells e-cigarette products in Beijing, China January 30, 2019. REUTERS/Thomas Peter

 

LONDON (Reuters) - E-cigarettes are almost twice as effective at helping smokers quit as nicotine replacement treatments like patches, lozenges and gum, according to the results of a major clinical trial.

 

The study, involving almost 900 smokers, found that 18 percent of e-cigarette users were smoke-free after a year, compared to 9.9 percent who tried quitting using other products.

 

"This is great news for cigarette smokers who want to quit," said Richard Miech, from the University of Michigan in the United States who has studied e-cigarettes but was not involved in this trial. "This evidence is persuasive."

 

E-cigarettes have no tobacco, but contain nicotine-laced liquids that the user inhales in a vapor. Many big tobacco companies, including British American Tobacco, Imperial Brands and Japan Tobacco, sell e-cigarettes.

 

Using e-cigarettes, or "vaping", is considered by many health experts to be an effective way for smokers to give up tobacco, but the scientific community has been divided over their potential public health benefits.

 

Independent experts said the latest trial, funded by Britain's National Institute for Health Research and carried out by researchers from Queen Mary University of London, was robust and well-conducted.

 

Some research has previously suggested e-cigarettes might help smokers cut back or quit altogether, but other studies have raised concerns about their use among teenagers.

 

This study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, found a stronger e-cigarette effect than previous trials. The researchers said this might be due to the inclusion of smokers seeking help, the provision of face-to-face support, and allowing the e-cigarette users to choose their own liquids.

 

In the trial, 886 smokers were randomly divided into groups to receive either up to three months' supply of nicotine replacement products such as patches, gum, lozenges and sprays, or an e-cigarette starter pack with one or two bottles of liquid and encouragement to buy their own choice of future supplies.

 

All participants were also tested to see if they were still smoking tobacco cigarettes, and had weekly one-to-one support for at least four weeks. The researchers said one reason e-cigarettes were found to be more effective may be that they allow for better tuning of nicotine doses to individual needs.

 

Jamie Hartmann-Boyce, a behavioral expert at Britain's Oxford University, said the study adds to growing evidence that e-cigarettes can improve health by helping smokers quit.

 

"More research is needed on the effects of long-term electronic cigarette use, but experts agree e-cigarettes are considerably less harmful than smoking, so switching...is likely to bring substantial health gains," she said.

 

(Reporting by Kate Kelland; Editing by Andrew Cawthorne)

 

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-31
Link to post
Share on other sites

i am not a smoker but, for various reasons, i have read a fair amount around this subject and also studied the data from a couple of the trials that have been done. (plenty on the internet about this for those who have Google). In my opinion, its really a no brainer  smokers ,who are able to,  should switch to e-cigarettes (either heated or vaping); and governments should be doing all they can to encourage this; Instead of making it problematic, possibly because of concerns over lost taxation revenue (eg the Thai Government?).

On current evidence, e-cigarettes are significantly less of a health risk than inhaling burnt tobacco. i know the current push is to stop smoking altogether but really , from what i have seen from the studies that have been done, the key thing is to move away from burnt tobacco (traditional cigarettes), that in itself will lead to significant health benefits for smokers. If , having made the switch, smokers then go on to stop completely even better. However the additional benefits of complete smoking  cessation appear minor compared to the move away from traditional cigarettes. For obvious reasons all of the current trial data (on e-cigarettes) are based on studies done over short periods of time and more long term trials are needed but , so far, most experts seem to agree that  its the inhalation of burnt substances that is the primary cause of most of smokers health issues. Just stopping doing that is a great first step.      

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a person who smoked a pack a day for 35 yrs,I totally agree with the argument for E.cigs. They can help a majority of people quit smoking tobacco, they don’t give you the same hit as tobacco but certainly are a better option. I personally use one and it has helped me dramatically reduce my cigarette addiction. On top of that my clothes don’t stink of cigs. My GF doesn’t complain about the smell anymore,we all know the main reason governments around the world don’t make cigarettes illegal. Income from the tax gathered from cigarettes,and the monopoly these companies have on society. 

I was at a coffee shop the other day just vegging out,I was outside and it wasn’t a smoke free area. I was having a puff on my E cig and the lady at another table enquired about it,had a bit of a chat to her and she said it didn’t bother her,the smell was fruity. She also said that if I was smoking a tobacco cig, she we have moved.

So until the day all cigarettes are banned,it’s a better option for everyone,none smokers included.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to be able to buy and use E-Cigs here legally. 

 

As mentioned the government is earning too much money on tobacco taxes so making E-Cigs legal is likely not gonna happening anytime soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Swapping one addiction for another isn’t quitting. 

True, but surely better to , at the least, swap an addiction that is doing you significant harm for one that seems (on current evidence) to do much less harm. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As an ex heavy smoker of 25 years I totally agree.

 

i tried it all to quit, gum, patches , laser acupuncture , hipno and all failed.

 

Vaping was the only thing that worked and now 3 years ciggarrete free and no desire to try one .

 

no problem whatsoever being next to a smoker or smelling it. If anything only now I realise how much I stunk when I smoked.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, wordchild said:

True, but surely better to , at the least, swap an addiction that is doing you significant harm for one that seems (on current evidence) to do much less harm. 

I have very severe doubts about just how safe the e cigarettes are. 

 

Certainly don’t like breathing in the smoke of those using them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Swapping one addiction for another isn’t quitting. 

If you were a smoker you would have different opinion and an outlook 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Bluespunk said:

I have very severe doubts about just how safe the e cigarettes are. 

A lot safer than 4000 or so different chemicals that are packed into 1 cigarette.

 

ash from ciggarrete kills a plant within days, ejuice does not kill it or does not even leave a residue 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

A lot safer than 4000 or so different chemicals that are packed into 1 cigarette.

 

ash from ciggarrete kills a plant within days, ejuice does not kill it or does not even leave a residue 

I don’t regard them as safe to use. 

 

The stink from them is just as offensive to me. 

 

People want to use them-fine do so. 

 

Just apply the same rules to them as tobacco. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I don’t regard them as safe to use. 

 

The stink from them is just as offensive to me. 

 

People want to use them-fine do so. 

 

Just apply the same rules to them as tobacco. 

Fairly safe to assume you are clueless on the matter and never been next to one. 

 

Do do you find smell or cakes or bakery a stink ? Highly unlikely 

 

so if you had a clue , you would have known smell of vape is same as cakes or bakery and disappears within seconds 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BestB said:

Fairly safe to assume you are clueless on the matter and never been next to one. 

 

Do do you find smell or cakes or bakery a stink ? Highly unlikely 

 

so if you had a clue , you would have known smell of vape is same as cakes or bakery and disappears within seconds 

The arguments about safer are still on going as the OP states.

 

 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

the scientific community has been divided over their potential public health benefits.

I can choose what shops I walk by, I can’t stop vapourers practicing their addiction near me. 

 

I’m not say ban it, however...

 

Vaping should have the same rules to it applied as tobacco. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The arguments about safer are still on going as the OP states.

 

 

I can choose where I walk

Vaping should have the same rules to it applied as tobacco. 

What does “ safer” has to do with your assertion of stink ?

 

tine to call it quits and stop posting your opinion as “ informed “ when clearly you are not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BestB said:

What does “ safer” has to do with your assertion of stink ?

 

tine to call it quits and stop posting your opinion as “ informed “ when clearly you are not.

The stench of these things is one issue I’ve mentioned. 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Using e-cigarettes, or "vaping", is considered by many health experts to be an effective way for smokers to give up tobacco

Yes, but the addictive substance is nicotine, which you'll get when 'vaping'

 

Quote

E-cigarettes have no tobacco, but contain nicotine-laced liquids that the user inhales

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Swapping one addiction for another isn’t quitting. 

Essentially true.... but a somewhat misleading comment, as the swap is a step towards quitting... a crutch, if you will.

 

but in the event that the swap, does not lead to quitting, then it still has significant benefits for the user, primarily because it’s less toxic

 

my wife has swapped to e-cigs (easy to get mail order... very cheap too), which has enabled me to quit smoking, as I smoked because she did (I couldn’t bear the smell, unless I was also smoking), so e cigs have worked for me.... I quit smoking because of a swap to e cigs.

 

as for her.... she is noticeably cutting down on her use, and even if she never kicks the e cig, just cutting down whilst removing all the other toxins, is a major win for her.... so in this house, 1 1/2 out of 2 people have quit.... a major win.... so swapping gets my full endorsement. (and i definitely prefer to be in a bar with e cigs vs smokers.... way way way less intrusive)

 

oh... patch’s in this environment (sweat) was a major fail for her, as was gum, due to taste.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Essentially trur..... but a somewhat misleading comment, as the swap is a step towards quitting... a crutch, if you will.

 

but in the event that the swap, does not lead to quitting, then it still has significant benefits for the user, primarily because it’s less toxic

 

my wife has swapped to e-cigs (easy to get mail order... very cheap too), which has enabled me to quit smoking, as I smoked because she did (I couldn’t bear the smell, unless I was also smoking), so e cigs have worked for me.... I quit smoking because of a swap to e cigs.

 

as for her.... she is noticeably cutting down on her use, and even if she never kicks the e cig, just cutting down whilst removing all the other toxins, is a major win for her.... so in this house, 1 1/2 out of 2 people have quit.... a major win.... so swapping gets my full endorsement. (and i definitely prefer to be in a bar with e cigs vs smokers.... way way way less intrusive)

 

oh... patch’s in this environment (sweat) was a major fail for her, as was gum, due to taste.

I understand why people switch.

 

I just don’t believe vaping is safe, based on what I have read about it. 

 

I have no problem with those who do, as long as they don’t do it round me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:
The stench of these things is one issue I’ve mentioned. 
 

 

When it is so clear that you have almost zero knowledge or experience on the subject, I wonder what motivates a person like you to spread misinformation.

 

What do you get out of it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, thedemon said:

 

When it is so clear that you have almost zero knowledge or experience on the subject, I wonder what motivates a person like you to spread misinformation.

 

What do you get out of it?

The links I have posted are not misreprenting anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To all you guys that have never smoked,,,,, good on ya, but you have no idea of the addiction so please do not crow too loudly.

Anyway the Thai Health Dept  know best & vaping is illegal so the topic is closed. 555

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Swapping one addiction for another isn’t quitting. 

You are missing the point. 

 

1. E cigarettes are safer. You can refuse to believe it but many studies have shown this. So even if people don't quit altogether, their health is better than it would be smoking traditional cigarettes.

2. They DO help to quit altogether as they are a step towards removing the addiction. I quit with the help of them, I moved to E-Cigs for about a year, then stopped altogether, it was much easier that way as I was less addicted by that point. It would be a bit like an alcoholic swapping 40% Vodka for 6% Fruit wine for a year and then cutting out the fruit wine. Similarly, smoking cigarettes I'd always smoke the whole thing, whereas I might have only wanted a couple of puffs. With E-Cigs you can have a puff or two when you really want it then put it back in your pocket, thereby cutting down your intake. Really useful if you are trying to quit gradually.

3. No dirty ash, butts, smoke for others to contend with.

 

They are a positive step towards removing nicotine addiction.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I smoked for 18 years in a 25 year period & went cold turkey overnight 19 years ago. IME none of the fads worked but thankfully for me willpower did. An old schoolfriend who started with me succumbed to lung cancer 2 years ago at the age of 56.

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You are missing the point. 

 

1. E cigarettes are safer. You can refuse to believe it but many studies have shown this. So even if people don't quit altogether, their health is better than it would be smoking traditional cigarettes.

2. They DO help to quit altogether as they are a step towards removing the addiction. I quit with the help of them, I moved to E-Cigs for about a year, then stopped altogether, it was much easier that way as I was less addicted by that point. It would be a bit like an alcoholic swapping 40% Vodka for 6% Fruit wine for a year and then cutting out the fruit wine. Similarly, smoking cigarettes I'd always smoke the whole thing, whereas I might have only wanted a couple of puffs. With E-Cigs you can have a puff or two when you really want it then put it back in your pocket, thereby cutting down your intake. Really useful if you are trying to quit gradually.

3. No dirty ash, butts, smoke for others to contend with.

 

They are a positive step towards removing nicotine addiction.

 

 

I disagree with you on your point on how safe they are. There are just as many articles out there saying why they are not safe. As I have said, the argument/debate is ongoing.

 

They can help quit, there is no certainty they will. I know of a few who have just swapped one addiction for another.

 

I really do not like contending with the smell or the clouds of smoke that emerge from some vapes.

 

I have not called for them to be banned, I just believe the same rules should apply to them as smoking tobacco.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As an ex smoker of some 33 years, I managed to stop smoking by sheer unadulterated  quitting.

I started loosing my breath and the moment I felt like death, I stopped smoking then and there.

I have not touched nor smoked for the last six years. Not lucky, I just opened my eyes and faced harsh reality, smoking kills.

I am not convinced that vaping is safe at all. Anything that you breathe in besides normal air, is going to damage your lungs.

For a good free smoke now, just go to Bangkok and breathe in deeply.

As for patches and gum, I cant see why people use them either. False hope and money wasters.

Once you give up smoking you will see just how much money you save.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried E-Cigs but I couldn't find a juice that didn't give me a sore throat. I then did hypnosis and used at first the spray mister then gum and lozenges. For me, the spray mister really helped. They are difficult to get, I had to get them in the UK as they are unavailable in Thailand and also in Dubai where I work. 

 

I also smoked the Marlboro Whites 0.01mg of nicotine and tar for 6 months prior to quitting. 

 

I did 3 months with nicotine replacement and now I am 6 months without anything.  

 

Bottom line I think that there is no right way or wrong way. Do what works for you and if at first you don't succeed then you know what....

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:
The stench of these things is one issue I’ve mentioned. 
 

Again , stop posting utter rubbish as you clearly have no knowledge or even a faintest clue on the matter.

 

vaping produces smell of cake , bakery or candy . It is a fact .

 

no one said vaping was 100% safe but 95% safer than smoking .

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BestB said:

Again , stop posting utter rubbish as you clearly have no knowledge or even a faintest clue on the matter.

 

vaping produces smell of cake , bakery or candy . It is a fact .

 

no one said vaping was 100% safe but 95% safer than smoking .

95% safer, can I have a link to that study please.

 

You may like the smell, I don't. I find it repulsive.

 

The rules for where you can vape should be the same as with smoking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...