Foreigners now need to keep 800k in Thai bank for three months AFTER retirement extension is granted

1 hour ago, notamember said:

you have an O-A visa with an extension for the purposes of retirement

the extension has been renewed many times

Yes I do.  That is referred to as a retirement visa on ThaiVisa and as a retirement visa in every immigration office in the country of Thailand. 

I can only surmise you have never been in an immigration office and asked, "renew retirement visa please."  Because they always know what you mean.  

Which is more readily understood on ThaiVisa or a Thai immigration office?  A.  Renewal of extension of an OA visa or B.  Renewal of retirement visa?   

To constantly correct people when they both know what they are talking about is just pedantic silliness. 

After attending a lecture on new principles of particle physics at Chula last week the lecturer asked me what kind of visa I had.  Do you really think I answered him, "oh I don't have a visa I have an extension on my original OA visa?"  No, of course not I told him that I have been here for 20 years on a retirement visa. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Numerous nations in Latin America indeed do offer retirement visas, and the majority offer paths to permanent residence, sometimes on the first application, and the financial requirements are almost all significantly LESS than Thailand. How can an American not know that!?! Massive numbers of Americans have been formally retiring in neighboring Mexico for many decades.

Panama is the favourite of all,   google it for info.

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, they are very welcoming and their retirement visa program might be the best on the planet (and MUCH MORE affordable and MUCH LESS onerous than Thailand's program) but I've ruled it out because the area I'd want to live there Panama City has high housing costs and not thrilled about the very hot and humid weather either. But for middle to higher budget people, sure, it can be like living in South Florida. 

Hey Jing, from your research into the programs in these various countries, do you have any idea how they treat spouses in the application process?

In other words, can the husband qualify on the merits and then the wife tag along because the husband qualified? Or do they treat the husband and wife as separate applicants, with each having to meet the financial and other requirements as individuals?

Yes, they are very welcoming and their retirement visa program might be the best on the planet (and MUCH MORE affordable and MUCH LESS onerous than Thailand's program) but I've ruled it out because the area I'd want to live there Panama City has high housing costs and not thrilled about the very hot and humid weather either. But for middle to higher budget people, sure, it can be like living in South Florida. 
What about Eastern Europe. I'm serbian and the cost of living is actually cheaper than thailand. I would imagine all of them would be cheaper or the same as Thailand

So much beautiful architecture and the best food.

To many visa variations to list though.

Next year its Europe and Thailand for the winter

13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Yes I do.  That is referred to as a retirement visa on ThaiVisa and as a retirement visa in every immigration office in the country of Thailand. 

I can only surmise you have never been in an immigration office and asked, "renew retirement visa please."  Because they always know what you mean.  

Which is more readily understood on ThaiVisa or a Thai immigration office?  A.  Renewal of extension of an OA visa or B.  Renewal of retirement visa?   

To constantly correct people when they both know what they are talking about is just pedantic silliness. 

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

just because they know what you mean does not make it so

many people refer to a vacuum cleaner as a Hoover but its not always a Hoover

like a Kleenex or a Jacuzzi or a jet ski

as to me being to immigration you surmise that i have never been to immigration nd asked for a retirement visa?

thats a big Joke on you Roman

as a 16 year veteran living in Thailand i have been to immigration countless times and when i want something i address it by its correct name in Thai

so i get exactly what i want

i only have to say retirement visa to accommodate people like you that neither accept what it actually is and refuse to refer to it as what it actually is

so i have to dumb down to your level to make myself understood

42 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Panama is the favourite of all,   google it for info.

my wealthy friend lived in Panama for a few years but moved to Uruguay for tax reasons

He loves it and says ts so much better than Panama

ps he came to Pattaya few years ago but despite staying in a suite at a very very top and very expensive hotel,(in my opinion) he did not like very much outside of it

he will not be coming back

hiso in and then out, never to return

Edited by notamember

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Does anyone clearly understand how the combo method now works?

The way it is worded it seems like incoming transfers + funds on deposit must equal 800K AND that there must be a balance of 800K for 2 months prior and 3 months after the date etc etc which makes it no different than the 800K method. This makes no sense.

I suspect what they meant is that you must show monthly transfers and then, if these were less than 65K, the difference between the monthly transfers  * 12 and 800K must be in the bank 2 months before and 3 months after and no more than half spent etc....but this is not clealry stated and I am willing to bet most IOs will not understand, or even if they do will ntoi be willing to risk applying that understanding since it is nto clearly spelt out.

????

For those of us from the US, it is expected that SS will start IDD this year which will provide a low cost means of transferring money in but also for most of us the amount will be something below 65K.  I had concluded I would be better off just sticking with the 800K method but now that this too has been made difficult am back to rethinking it....

Good question for the combo method....I know I surely don't understand it based on the order's wording.

If going strictly by the combo method wording in the new order a person could say have 400K on deposit and another 400K coming via "annual" income....but didn't say in para 5 it had to be "monthly" income...or "quarterly" income....just needed to be 400K of income over one year (annual) to add to the 400K on deposit.  And it didn't say it had to be 65K per month in para 5 although para 2 did talk 65K if using the monthly income method.   Strictly going by the words in para 5 a person could have 400K in the bank and once a year transfer in one large sum of 400K.   Or a whole variety of other possible 400K in the bank and periodic transfers combinations to satisfy the 800K requirement.    

But my gut tells me they are going to want to see "monthly" transfers to make up the difference between the amount on deposit and your income.

Immigration sure writes requirements which leave a lot questions in ones mind.  But maybe its clearer in the Thai language and something gets lost in the translation to English.  Maybe more details guidance has been provided in correspondence that is purely internal guidance....not releasable to the public.  I have no doubt a degree of confusion also exists at the immigration offices, whether some of them want to admit it or not.

image.png.af7d04d0ff1b95d68cc3c1aade14e075.png

• Like 1

For all those disgruntled OPs here on retirement extensions of stay and thinking about fleeing to Vietnam  (as many in these related threads have alluded to recently)...I suggest do some serious study of this option, as various Vietnam Expat forums will confirm, it is just as difficult,  just as messy and just as mind numbing as doing it here.
In common with TH.
30 day tourist visa...with possible extensions available in certain locations,

Immigration there prefer you use agents.

NO RETIREMENT VISA

Visa runs normally required every 30days.(usually to Cambodia )

Longer visas:  (sponsored business visa 1yr) 90 day reporting to Immigration.

Imm .rules constantly changing.
Different interpretation of the rules in different provinces...depends where you apply..and how that IO wishes to interpret the rules!!
Etc etc etc

So don't think you're evading the hoops and BS here by going to VN!
Good post. All of SEA is making it tough

Phillipines only welcoming crazy people who can never be rude to a government official or solicit a hooker if these reforms get through.

The best option for those running would be south America or eastern Europe or best of all your home country where you will be cuddled until you die!

New Philippines Immigration Reform Act filed. If the recent price increases, violence escalation, infrastructure or lack thereof, and general lack of fair and due process doesn't convince you to go elsewhere, the new Philippines Immigration Reform Act will. It gives wide and vague latitude for Immigration and Police to basically do whatever they feel like with you. Here are a few new highlights:

● Exit Clearance will now be required after 60 days - [MTV] Essentially if you stay in country for > 60 days you need Tax Clearance before you can leave, even if leaving for a holiday - IIRC this is currently 6 Months
● Foreigners Permanent Residency will be cancelled on divorce, relationship abandonment, or failure to provide support for Filipino spouse and family(does not disclose as what extent of her existing family). - [MTV] Scary 
● Foreigners Permanent Residency will cancelled if outside the Philippines more than 1 year.
● Foreigners will no longer be allowed to establish any type of business under a visitor visa.- [MTV] One of the major selling points of PI over TH
● New visa applicants will be required to have a physical and mental evaluation prior to getting an immigrant visa. - [MTV] Speechless
● Entry into the Philippines will be denied for those believed to arriving for the purpose of getting prostitutes or showing "disrespect" to any government official or employee. - [MTV] Some may guffaw at this but anybody who's visited the Philippines for the past 10+ years can tell you about clampdowns in Manila & (especially) Cebu 
● Deportable offenses: engaging in prostitution,  being deemed a public charge, being deemed undesirable, and being "rude" .- [MTV] Speechless
● Foreigners must register within 60 days of arrival and update any changes in said registration within 7 days. - [MTV] TM30/TM28 anybody?
● Also states that the immigration agency can start requiring cash bonds on demand to ensure immigration adherence. Provision perhaps for longer stays?- [MTV] at the moment the only cash requirement outside of visa expenses is if you go for an SRRV Visa, this sounds more like they're going to want to see Funds in the Bank for people who are staying longer on any kind of basis
● Imprisonment offences of not less than 5 years: falsely claiming to be a Filipino citizen, pretending to be someone else or using false documents, making a false statement in any immigration matter,   

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, madmen said:

Good post. All of SEA is making it tough

Phillipines only welcoming crazy people who can never be rude to a government official or solicit a hooker if these reforms get through.

The best option for those running would be south America or eastern Europe or best of all your home country where you will be cuddled until you die!

New Philippines Immigration Reform Act filed. If the recent price increases, violence escalation, infrastructure or lack thereof, and general lack of fair and due process doesn't convince you to go elsewhere, the new Philippines Immigration Reform Act will. It gives wide and vague latitude for Immigration and Police to basically do whatever they feel like with you. Here are a few new highlights:

● Exit Clearance will now be required after 60 days - [MTV] Essentially if you stay in country for > 60 days you need Tax Clearance before you can leave, even if leaving for a holiday - IIRC this is currently 6 Months
● Foreigners Permanent Residency will be cancelled on divorce, relationship abandonment, or failure to provide support for Filipino spouse and family(does not disclose as what extent of her existing family). - [MTV] Scary 
● Foreigners Permanent Residency will cancelled if outside the Philippines more than 1 year.
● Foreigners will no longer be allowed to establish any type of business under a visitor visa.- [MTV] One of the major selling points of PI over TH
● New visa applicants will be required to have a physical and mental evaluation prior to getting an immigrant visa. - [MTV] Speechless
● Entry into the Philippines will be denied for those believed to arriving for the purpose of getting prostitutes or showing "disrespect" to any government official or employee. - [MTV] Some may guffaw at this but anybody who's visited the Philippines for the past 10+ years can tell you about clampdowns in Manila & (especially) Cebu 
● Deportable offenses: engaging in prostitution,  being deemed a public charge, being deemed undesirable, and being "rude" .- [MTV] Speechless
● Foreigners must register within 60 days of arrival and update any changes in said registration within 7 days. - [MTV] TM30/TM28 anybody?
● Also states that the immigration agency can start requiring cash bonds on demand to ensure immigration adherence. Provision perhaps for longer stays?- [MTV] at the moment the only cash requirement outside of visa expenses is if you go for an SRRV Visa, this sounds more like they're going to want to see Funds in the Bank for people who are staying longer on any kind of basis
● Imprisonment offences of not less than 5 years: falsely claiming to be a Filipino citizen, pretending to be someone else or using false documents, making a false statement in any immigration matter,   

An Internet search for Retirement Philipines would have sufficed. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, madmen said:

Clearly some posters are getting upset and starting to lose it.

If a simple factually laid out post in point form makes you angry then I suggest you take a break from TV and the whole of the internet

There are a fair few opinions mixed in with those facts, and I'm not surprised some of us beg to differ.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2019 at 12:22 PM, Thomas J said:

I disagree.  You can easily get a 6% dividend on a good U.S. utility stock.  That means that you could earn $24,000 baht on your 400K baht investment.  More when you consider the $800k baht you must have for a portion of the year. That is saying nothing about the potential risk of having much if any money in a Thai bank.  There are numerous world examples over the years of regimes nationalizing the banks and depositors losing everything. Lastly, it is easy to get money into Thailand.  Difficult to transfer it out. 

Yet you mention nothing about the risks of dividends being reduced (reducing your yield) or even cut, and the price on stock depreciating (from a little to a lot), but think putting your money in the safest banks in Thailand is a risk to losing it all... what a load of crock!!!

Lastly, It is easy to get money into Thailand and just as easy to get it out. I know this as fact.

• Like 1

There are a fair few opinions mixed in with those facts, and I'm not surprised some of us beg to differ.
No problems with that obviously you can have your point of view . The suggestion I shouldn't have made that post and used Google instead I do have a problem with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is meant by "permission" in this statement:

The alien can withdraw the fund 3 months after being granted permission and the remaining balance must be no less than THB 400,00 or;

Do I now need "permission" to withdraw my funds after waiting 3 months?

permission to stay.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 2/1/2019 at 3:30 PM, notamember said:

The 90 day report can be done 15 days early or 7 days late (including due date) so the dates could be time shifted over a few reports to get them coordinated

I mentioned elsewhere that reporting a day or two late raised some eyebrows with a mumbled warning not to be late again.

In other words it was frowned upon to be late, despite what the regulations say.

Maybe their computer system is so fcked up, it gets angry with someone reporting a day late.

15 minutes ago, indepth said:

An Internet search for Retirement Philipines would have sufficed. 

He likes to post that list over and over, even though it amounts to:

• Your PR for being married to a PI gal goes away if you stop supporting her and your kids.
  • If you mouth-off to Authorities or falsify documents, they can wreck your world (same in every country on Earth)
  • If you are crazy, they won't let you stay
  • If you run out of money, they won't let you stay
  • If your whoring around is sufficiently blatant, they won't let you stay
  • 7 days (vs 24 hrs here) to notify of change of address
  • The "tax clearance" thing takes a few minutes to fill out a form, done at the same time as your last extension - easy.

What's missing is:

• Authorities are friendly and respectful - both beat cops and immigration officiers
  • No agent "fixer" crap (they are illegal)
  • No "extra requirements" for anything, ever (since, no agents, and don't hate foreigners)
  • Marry a local and you can get PR easily
  • Out/In Visa runs for Tourists every 3 YEARS
  • Never, "You stay to long, we reject entry" then make up a lie about you not having money when you do to cover their backside for rejecting-entry illegally. 
  • In general, their IOs seem to have some sense of moral principles, so do not fabricate lies to shaft people who have Done Nothing Wrong. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

No problems with that obviously you can have your point of view . The suggestion I shouldn't have made that post and used Google instead I do have a problem with.

You're suggesting other posters are getting upset with you, then get upset because they suggest using Google instead? Please tell me this is not a kindergarten playground.

56 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

For all those disgruntled OPs here on retirement extensions of stay and thinking about fleeing to Vietnam  (as many in these related threads have alluded to recently)...I suggest do some serious study of this option, as various Vietnam Expat forums will confirm, it is just as difficult,  just as messy and just as mind numbing as doing it here.

In common with TH.

In Cambodia its about $20 / year - so cheap, it's well worth it.  No lying-docs or similar required, so no lawbreaking by you or the agent.  If this is similar in VN, it just saves the trouble of going in-person.

NO RETIREMENT VISA

Varies by country - check the conditions for yours.

Typical agent/fixer crap for a "business visa" - sounds similar to Laos.  Not sure of pricing, though.

Different interpretation of the rules in different provinces...depends where you apply..and how that IO wishes to interpret the rules!!

Etc etc etc

But, so far, no reports of being denied-entry on a false-grounds, or "stay too much" or similar.  So at least someone on a Tourist status has nothing to FEAR, unlike if in Thailand.  Though, it turns out, all of us shall have some degree of fear here - forever it seems - as they seem to never be done tightening the screws to shove more of us out.

Not evading all authority and possible bs, but possibly cutting the load down by a huge amount of stress, fear, and agent-costs - depending on passport-country and personal circumstances. 

If someone wants "really easy" - Cambodia works as a home-base in the region.  Then, visit Thailand and VN as desired - and to the extent Thailand will "let you in" to spend money.

• Like 1

He likes to post that list over and over, even though it amounts to:
  • Your PR for being married to a PI gal goes away if you stop supporting her and your kids.
  • If you mouth-off to Authorities or falsify documents, they can wreck your world (same in every country on Earth)
  • If you are crazy, they won't let you stay
  • If you run out of money, they won't let you stay
  • If your whoring around is sufficiently blatant, they won't let you stay
  • 7 days (vs 24 hrs here) to notify of change of address
  • The "tax clearance" thing takes a few minutes to fill out a form, done at the same time as your last extension - easy.
What's missing is:
  • Authorities are friendly and respectful - both beat cops and immigration officiers
  • No agent "fixer" crap (they are illegal)
  • No "extra requirements" for anything, ever (since, no agents, and don't hate foreigners)
  • Marry a local and you can get PR easily
  • Out/In Visa runs for Tourists every 3 YEARS
  • Never, "You stay to long, we reject entry" then make up a lie about you not having money when you do to cover their backside for rejecting-entry illegally. 
  • In general, their IOs seem to have some sense of moral principles, so do not fabricate lies to shaft people who have Done Nothing Wrong. 

You will be DEPORTED if you are rude! Think about the implications of that and how broad the term rude is.

Please supply a link in the immigration act if you claim being rude to any official in Thailand will get you deported. Nope your just talking BS again

Deported for renting a girl? Why else would you go to the Phillipines.. It's an arm pit!
Good luck if you upset a girl and she goes to the authorities saying you offered to pay for sex.. Welcome to a new level of Blackmail and extortion

Just the fact that the president has authorized the public to kill drug dealers makes you a blackmailing target.

Enjoy! Let us know how it pans out for you [emoji16]
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

In common with TH.

NO RETIREMENT VISA

Etc etc etc

Yeah but the grass is always greener!

11 minutes ago, madmen said:

You will be DEPORTED if you are rude! Think about the implications of that and how broad the term rude is.

Please supply a link in the immigration act if you claim being rude to any official in Thailand will get you deported. Nope your just talking BS again

One difference is, you actually have to break a law for something to be prosecuted in the PI.  Here, they can shaft you and just lie about why - as reported repeatedly by folks entering Thailand by air and Popet.

But anyone with a lick of sense knows what they are talking about - the loudmouth who tells an authority to go ___ etc in front of a crowd.   So they make an example of them.  Fine.  So both crazies and idiots get booted.  All the better.

Deported for renting a girl?

I don't see why anyone would need to pay.  But if that's someone's thing, just don't go where the locals don't want it around - stick to Angeles or where ever, where the economy is based on it. 

Why else would you go to the Phillipines.. It's an arm pit!

There are beautiful beaches to enjoy.  Also nice people.  The food, not so great - unless you like Western food - there's tons of that.

Good luck if you upset a girl and she goes to the authorities saying you offered to pay for sex.. Welcome to a new level of Blackmail and extortion

That's not how it's going to work.  They aren't idiots.  If you are picking them up off the street in an area the locals don't like it, bad things could happen.

Just the fact that the president has authorized the public to kill drug dealers makes you a blackmailing target.

Enjoy! Let us know how it pans out for you emoji16.png

Easy solution - don't get involved with drugs and drug-dealers.  As I have told others, Latin America is the place to live if one is into that.  They don't care down there.  I felt a bit "out of place" with the expats there, by not being into getting high all day and night - but to each their own.  The Filipinos are not going to SWAT-kill foreigners (USA term), as that would cause an international incident.

I don't think my wife would like the food in the PI, but thanks.

Easy solution - don't get involved with drugs and drug-dealers.  As I have told others, Latin America is the place to live if one is into that.  They don't care down there.  I felt a bit "out of place" with the expats there, by not being into getting high all day and night - but to each their own.  The Filipinos are not going to SWAT-kill foreigners (USA term), as that would cause an international incident.

I don't think my wife would like the food in the PI, but thanks.
Don't forget certain visas will require a "mental evaluation" in front of a dude in a white coat flipping through strange pics asking you what they mean

Most of us would be deported on the spot [emoji23]
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1