Bangkok Marathon Still On Despite Toxic Smog

webfact

Bangkok Marathon Still On Despite Toxic Smog

By  Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

ATMBKK2019_BANNER_19-02-696x522.jpg

BANGKOK — A marathon organized for this weekend in Bangkok will go ahead despite the hazardous levels of smog that have clouded Bangkok for weeks, the Tourism and Sports Ministry said Friday.

While many outdoor activities and all classes have been canceled this week due to air pollution, Sunday morning’s Amazing Thailand Marathon Bangkok will go on as planned, according to Yuthasak Supakorn, director of the tourism authority.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2019/02/01/bangkok-marathon-still-on-despite-toxic-smog/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-02-01

• Sad 5
  • Haha 2

Knowing how little regard is paid to Thailand in the international media, its quite possible many of the athletes making the trip have an idea of what they are in for.

And for some reason, I have a suspicion that the Thai organisers may not have gone to great pains to forewarn them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Knowing how little regard is paid to Thailand in the international media, its quite possible many of the athletes making the trip have an idea of what they are in for.

And for some reason, I have a suspicion that the Thai organisers may not have gone to great pains to forewarn them.

why would anyone be so stupid  and unthinking , as a marathon runner, not to check out where you were going to be running; course conditions, geography, likely weather etc. 

28 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Actually, the organiers sent out an email yesterday to all participants addressing the issue.

As well as below, the topic has also been discussed extensively on their Facebook page.

While I understand the need many feel to bash Thailand and Thai people at every opportunity.

Sometimes it's better to do a little bit of fact checking before externalising ones thoughts.

7uhzdtijaze.jpg

Edited by Katipo
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Katipo said:

Actually, the organiers sent out an email yesterday to all participants addressing

As well as below, the topic has also been discussed extensively on their Facebook page.

the issue. While I understand the need many feel to bash Thailand and Thai people at every opportunity.

Sometimes it's better to do a little bit of fact checking before externalising ones thoughts.

7uhzdtijaze.jpg

And what meaning or significance should be drawn from the chart you've posted above.

If the air pollution levels on the day of the race are hazardous, defined by the Thai government as above 50 micrograms of PM2.5, are they going to cancel the race or hold it anyway?

One saving grace may be...the air pollution forecast for this weekend, right now, seems to show somewhat improving conditions, and maybe out of the red/unhealthy category... Have to wait and see.... The forecasts are just that, and not always very accurate.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Katipo said:

Actually, the organiers sent out an email yesterday to all participants addressing the issue.

While I understand the need many feel to bash Thailand and Thai people at every opportunity.

7uhzdtijaze.jpg

First, the word is familiarize~they can't be bothered to spell check~very professional.

Second, considering the length of time the pollution has been at dangerous conditions, the event should already be cancelled.  Any and all real runners would already have made the decision not to go by now, so the race is kind of skewed toward the runners that don't care about their health~which is an interesting marathon in the books.  A good chance to be in the top ten for an amateur and maybe a last marathon, do to permanent lung damage

24 minutes ago, Katipo said:

7uhzdtijaze.jpg

Was that really necessary???:saai:

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

If every runner takes home a lungful of Bangkok's toxic dust, that will help the city.

It's similar to picking up roadside trash. They might get a praise on someone's Facebook.

Besides, they can't publicly admit this especially with international runners present.

I really hate it when you people give them ideas

1 hour ago, Katipo said:

7uhzdtijaze.jpg

As a non-participant, I obviously was unaware of the information sources you mention. Having checked the Facebook Page you referred to, I have learned a number of interesting facts.

One of the highlights is a report from a UK newspaper which describes some Bangkok residents as "coughing up blood".

A Thai paper declares, BANGKOK MARATHON STILL ON DESPITE TOXIC SMOG. We learn, among other disturbing realities, that hazardous pollution has stopped outdoor activities in the city and forced schools to close. 

We also learn that all the city authorities' desperate (and sometimes downright laughable) measures to clear the smog that has blanketed Big Mango for weeks have failed.

The Tourist Authority of Thailand has more than doubled the number of medical staff who will be on duty and are delaying the decision on whether to go ahead with the race until the last possible moment.

Organisers of three other races due to be held in the capital over the next couple of weeks, on the other hand, have already cancelled because of the obvious risk to runners.

How much longer, one wonders, is TAT going to wobble nervously in the starting blocks before following their sensible example?

Edited by Krataiboy

2 hours ago, Katipo said:

7uhzdtijaze.jpg

The facts speak for themselves 

Cancellation is the right thing to do but Thailand don't care about health only $$$$$

Don't runners run for their health and well-being? If so, why would any self respecting

health advocate involve themselves in this travesty? Just curious. Anyone??

Edited by Dap