Thailand should welcome retirees

17 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, there are 3000 homeless people in Thailand compared to 550,000 in the USA.

What, only 550 000? There are more than that in England, of course they are mostly welfare scammers,  wink wink nod nod...........

Edited by Fred31
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, balo said:

Interesting project. 

You only need around 20k US dollars to refurbish the homes.  Sicily , great food , sun , beaches. Maybe not very cheap but it's very beautiful there. And clean , fresh air from the Mediterranean . 

Sardinia..Corsica..but Sicily is great.

From the bishop's palace in Palermo you look south to a zillion square acres of citrus trees..the smell of lemon,thyme,lavender,basil etc is quite splendid..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Thailand does welcome retired people as long as they have 800,000 baht and health insurance. 

Or if your married 400,000 baht that's the way it is. 

As long as this 90 day reporting is going on with us being treated like criminals, Thailand does not welcome retired people.

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I would think there are many, many more, who, before moving here understood that the visa conditions required 800k in the bank, and didn't consider that that money would also double as day to day living expenses.

In fact I don't understand how it can be used for both things. After meeting that condition, you still need to import money, over and above,  to live on.

If the 800k is used for expenses it must be replenished anyway. That is, unless it doesn't actually exist and is temporarily conjured up for the once-a-year purpose. To pay agents a fee to temporarily lend you that money is a scam, and I can understand why Immigration want to end this form of cheating.

I also don't like my money sitting idle in a bank, but know it is still mine, and regard it as an emergency fund if ever needed.

Virtually all countries place financial requirements on people wanting to live there long term, for good reason. Wide open borders attract criminals, beggars, scammers and other scum of the earth. I've had more Westerners trying to rip me off here than Thais, not talking small money.

As someone who understood the requirements, and made the effort to meet them, I don't have a great deal of sympathy for those who didn't. Although, I do get the anguish of people with families who have made their life in Thailand for many years and now find they may be in trouble. Perhaps there should be some sort of case by case exemption for these people.   

"and I can understand why Immigration want to end this form of cheating".  Really! Immigration are making a lot of money from it as are the agents.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, balo said:

Interesting project. 

You only need around 20k US dollars to refurbish the homes.  Sicily , great food , sun , beaches. Maybe not very cheap but it's very beautiful there. And clean , fresh air from the Mediterranean . 

Having just worked my way through that site, classic bait and switch.

There are 17 properties listed, thousands of interested parties already registered, and each property will be sold to the highest bidder by sealed bids. So no 1 Euro properties, just an auction with no minimum bid.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

From the So what else is new? department:

The average Brit spends 10 months of their adult lifetime moaning about the weather, according to new research.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4564935/brits-spend-10-months-of-their-lifetime-complaining-about-the-weather/

And the new Tetley Sunshine Tea, a brew and sunshine without going out.
[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

When I first came to live in Thailand, all that was required was an every 90 day trip out of the country, I would think that a lot of retirees came here then and bought houses, raised Thai families, not suspecting that Thailand would eventually come up with more hoops to jump through for these same people.

Thailand has no thought for retirees at all apart from what they can get out of them, it is still the same old story.

They do not want us here, they just want our money.

If you had money, you wouldn't have a problem staying here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

From the So what else is new? department:

The average Brit spends 10 months of their adult lifetime moaning about the weather, according to new research.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4564935/brits-spend-10-months-of-their-lifetime-complaining-about-the-weather/

that's why a lot of them moved to Thailand, weather is good.... but the moaning keeps going about the visa requirements

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

As long as this 90 day reporting is going on with us being treated like criminals, Thailand does not welcome retired people.

I know the 90 day can be annoying for some but to say we are treated like criminals is an exaggeration.

As I would say " as long as " scumbags keep coming here it's needed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I know the 90 day can be annoying for some but to say we are treated like criminals is an exaggeration.

As I would say " as long as " scumbags keep coming here it's needed.

I agree about the need to keep scumbags out of the country, but surely there are ways of doing that without giving us decent retirees all the hassle of 90 day reports.

It is no exaggeration saying we are treated like criminals, there is no need to do this nonsensical reporting every 90 days, even once a year would be OK.

• Haha 1

I think people should think twice about moving to any country where they can only just meet the immigration requirements, and live there from one year to the next on temporary visas. Rules change all the time, so making sure that you can exceed the requirements by a very significant margin, before moving, would be a much better approach if you value peace of mind. 

Thinking that Thailand needs (or cares at all about) old farang geezers spending a couple of thousand bucks a month each is setting yourself up for a disappointment. Why do you think that the Elite visa was introduced?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

It's exaggeration :cool:

For many of us this 90-Days report is just 3 minutes on a computer, up to 4 times a year.

I would complain about many other things before complaining about 90-Days reports...

Really! That is very selfish thinking, it is about 60 Ks to my nearest IO. Most of the people who

think like you have an IO nearby.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

21 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Why would they need the equivalent of 2,000 USD per month, when more than a third of working Americans don't even earn that amount? 

I agree with most of what the OP said except for the above.

Americans who earn less than $2,000 per month are in their own country and enjoy social safety nets that an expat in Thailand does not. That's why IMO I think the requirements for a marriage extension is less than the requirements for a retirement extension .

A Married expat has the support of his/hers family, much in the way that an American in the US has the support of his own country. 

Personally I don't think  requiring $500 a week income from someone retiring  in a foreign country with no social support system  is unreasonable. IMO anyone with less than that is not a retiree but an economic refugee.

• Like 2

Just now, Pattaya46 said:

No necessarily. I make my reports Online, no need to go to an Immigration Office.

Also many people who do it mail, and again not trip needed.

Again, very selfish thinking, what about those whose IO does not allow you to do it by mail.

Not all IO offices have the same rules. This is Thailand.

• Like 2