Aussie Marriage Certificate No Long Accepted

Hi All

So I just thought I post this as it may help someone, I went to savahnaket late last year to do my multi non O based on marriage like I have done 3 times before.... I had all my documents in order same as before except this time the same IO I usually see said next time if I didn't get married (in Thailand) and have a Thai Marriage certificate (not a translation of this Aussie one) I would not get another one next time if I came back.

Quick question related to that what is the process and cost of getting married here?

Cheers

Unless you divorce in Australia and re-marry in Thailand. What your asking to do is impossible.

Might need for get the translation certified by the ministry of foreign affairs then it should be accepted, if you've done this already then there is nothing else you can do.

Edited by colinthailand20005
  • Like 1

I think all you have to do is take your marriage certificate to the local head office and they register it for you and give you Thai marriage certificate. Wife did it she thinks it was about 100 baht. Since you have translated copy already you are half way there. Wife also says she needed a state department stamp on it but that was because we sent it from America. I don’t remember it being that way but she insists. I would just have your wife go to the Amphur and ask what they need. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure the consular officer gave you correct info. They should still accept your Australian marriage certificate.

You cannot get married again here.

You can only register your foreign marriage at an Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 foreign marriage registry. You will need to have marriage certificate legalized by the Australian embassy or an authority there. Then the translation of it would have to be certified by the Department of Consular Affairs in Bangkok.

Sorry if this is a silly question.. Once Ive done that will I get some sort of a certificate in Thai for the registry? Love your work by the way ubonjoe...

5 hours ago, DepDavid said:

I think all you have to do is take your marriage certificate to the local head office and they register it for you and give you Thai marriage certificate. Wife did it she thinks it was about 100 baht. Since you have translated copy already you are half way there. Wife also says she needed a state department stamp on it but that was because we sent it from America. I don’t remember it being that way but she insists. I would just have your wife go to the Amphur and ask what they need. Hope this helps.

I did ours with my wife late last year though we had been married for 18 years.

Fortunately way back in the early 2000s I had gone to the UK embassy via a certified translator and they certified that it was correct. I then went to the MFA in Chaengwattana who checked it including the translation and signed it off.

My wife and I went to the local amphur office one morning with all the paperwork and started it off and my wife went back in the afternoon to get the 2 or 3 page Kor Ror 22 form. It cost about 400 baht in total IIRC.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure the consular officer gave you correct info. They should still accept your Australian marriage certificate.

You can only register your foreign marriage at an Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 foreign marriage registry. You will need to have marriage certificate legalized by the Australian embassy or an authority there. Then the translation of it would have to be certified by the Department of Consular Affairs in Bangkok.

Hmmm... just wondering if that would be the same for proof of divorce paper?..  I'm thinking of making it legal sometime this year to to get non-O.. we have been together 12 going on 13 years now.. I think I'm safe...  ????

• Like 2

On 2/1/2019 at 4:37 PM, DepDavid said:

Can I (American) take marriage certificate to "head office" and get a Thai Marriage Certificate. Been married 30 years to Thai and have lived in Thailand last 25 years. Wife is presently living abroad.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:35 PM, ubonjoe said:

Translation not needed for documents in english

4 minutes ago, spetersen said:

At immigration, correct - English is fine.  But at amphoes, it's another story. 

For example, my English "affirmation of freedom to marry" document (from my embassy) had to be translated to Thai and the translation and original certified by the MFA.  Marriages are registered by amphoes - not by Immigration.  The amphoe's docs, and your originals, are required by immigration for your extension.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

At immigration, correct - English is fine.  But at amphoes, it's another story. 

For example, my English "affirmation of freedom to marry" document (from my embassy) had to be translated to Thai and the translation and original certified by the MFA.  Marriages are registered by amphoes - not by Immigration.  The amphoe's docs, and your originals, are required by immigration for your extension.

You are correct...

18 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

You're right about everything except this.

The MFA only certify the signature of your consular official on the affirmation is genuine, they don't care about the translation, or the original content. Here's one I had done earlier ........... 'Certified Genuine Signature(s) of .....

affermation stamp.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, post said:

Was the certified translator in TH or the UK?

Thailand in a building just opposite the British embassy in Wireless road.

I have no idea if it is still operating as I haven't been to BKK for about 5 years.

I think that the embassy will put you on to a translation service but they won't do it themselves.

16 minutes ago, spetersen said:

Yes it is if you want to register your marriage in the local amphur to obtain the kor ror 22.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're right about everything except this.

The MFA only certify the signature of your consular official on the affirmation is genuine, they don't care about the translation.

There are 2 different services they did for the affirmation-to-marry doc - verify translation and verify consular signature.  If the translation is wrong, they bounce it back, so better to get the translation-company to handle the MFA step as well (so if a problem with translation, they fix it and re-submit w/o additional charges). 

For my embassy money-letter, I only needed the certified signature - did that myself by mail. 

• Like 1