New financial regulations for retirees: Nearly a third of expats may have to leave - but half on Facebook say they're off!

webfact

New financial regulations for retirees: Nearly a third of expats may have to leave - but half on Facebook say they're off!

finan.jpg

File photo

Two Thaivisa straw polls - one on the forum and one on Facebook - have indicated that many expats will be calling it quits in Thailand. 

But while nearly half of those on Facebook said they would be leaving nearly 70% on the forum expected to ride out the storm.

The polls were undertaken in the wake of new regulations issued by Thai immigration retiring retirees to lodge money for several months in a Thai bank account.

On the forum people were asked the question: Will the new financial requirements force you to leave?

7.9% said Yes

22.72% said it would seriously jeopardize their stay

69.38% said they would not have to leave.

This meant that nearly a third were in the category of leaving for sure or at least being in jeopardy.

On Facebook a similar question was more clear cut.

Asked if the tough new financial requirements for retirement extensions (visas) would force people to leave:

49% said Yes

51% said No.

On the forum 461 people responded to the survey. On Facebook there were 968 respondents. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-04
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

I will take a wait and see approach before cashing in my chips here in Chiang Mai. As usual with Thai Immigration they seem to always have their heads up their collective ars...es. One week it's a new set of financial criteria, the next week it's something different. I tend agree that Thai Government Officials simply don't want us here on a long term basis so they go about putting these ridiculous impediments in our way. I have already begun to look at Phnom Penh as a new place to put down roots, that liberal Business Visa that is available to Expats is a nice change from the B.S. that Thai Immigration put us through. Also Nha Trang in Vietnam is a viable option as a five year Visa is available there. Keep putting money into my Bangkok Bank account every month to simply satisfy some Immigration Official ain't gonna happen.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I read that Cambodia announced a new E Retirement visa in 2017.

• Like 2