Planning to use TransferWise for 800/400K? Beware!

19 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Some guys need to chill. Transferwise has grown to be the world leader in transfers and on occasions with such huge numbers of transfers occasionally they will go wrong. As long as the issue is rectified no big deal. Nobody should be relying on a sole transfer to avoid being destitute before someone says it as well

I had a transfer in December which was supposed to land on a Monday. It didnt but TW kept updating all the time without being prompted by me. When I woke up 6am local on the Tuesday it was there. (still probably 2 days quicker than a bank transfer as well)

Nobody as far as I read it has said anything about being destitute without a transfer. Taking a 1000+ USD hit would make a big dent in my life though. Most people I assume are the same as myself and wondering where is my money? It didnt show up when it was supposed to so people are wondering about what the problem could be and how to resolve it. Is it a short delay or is it going to be significant hassle like mngmn's? I know I dont want to want around for a month to get a money transfer back. Knowing it wasnt just myself did make me feel a bit better. Mainly because I knew it wasnt my bank details at fault or anything. It was on their side. So if I had to use a different method of transfer if this one wasnt completely borked I could do so.

48 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Some guys needI to chill. Transferwise has grown to be the world leader in transfers and on occasions with such huge numbers of transfers occasionally they will go wrong. As long as the issue is rectified no big deal. Nobody should be relying on a sole transfer to avoid being destitute before someone says it as well

I had a transfer in December which was supposed to land on a Monday. It didnt but TW kept updating all the time without being prompted by me. When I woke up 6am local on the Tuesday it was there. (still probably 2 days quicker than a bank transfer as well)

In the case of the GBP deposit to my Borderless Account, Transferwise absolutely did nothing to rectify the issue.  Luckily my broker provided excellent support, cancelled the cheque they had written when the payment failed and resent the payment.  Transferwise just keeps blaming the broker.

Chilled indeed but do please report back if you do have a problem.  

Received the transfer into my Bangkok Bank account early afternoon.

I am due a UK DWP payment into my borderless account on Fri and another dividend payment from the same broker at the end of the month.  At the moment I don't have an alternative to Transferwise Borderless Account (working on it) but so I just have to keep my fingers crossed - not something I am used to doing where my money is concerned.

29 minutes ago, johnjohn2 said:

Nobody as far as I read it has said anything about being destitute without a transfer. Taking a 1000+ USD hit would make a big dent in my life though. Most people I assume are the same as myself and wondering where is my money? It didnt show up when it was supposed to so people are wondering about what the problem could be and how to resolve it. Is it a short delay or is it going to be significant hassle like mngmn's? I know I dont want to want around for a month to get a money transfer back. Knowing it wasnt just myself did make me feel a bit better. Mainly because I knew it wasnt my bank details at fault or anything. It was on their side. So if I had to use a different method of transfer if this one wasnt completely borked I could do so.

I'm sure even the really cashed up, Elite toting, seniors on this forum would hate to lose GBP 600?  If it's really chicken feed to you, let me know and I'll send you my account details ????.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Transferwise reply after checking my transaction:

Hi ------,

Thanks for getting in touch via email and social media.

As I mentioned over there, we have some technical issues sending out payments to Thailand and your transfers are one of them. Rest assure the team is working on the fix as we speak and we are expecting for all the payments to be completed within tomorrow.

Please accept our apologies for the delay and let us know if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
Lilli

4 hours ago, SunsetT said:

What you are having problems with is TW's more recently introduced "borderless account".

Thaivisa members should not confuse this with the TW normal money transferring system which works very well and with which I have never had a problem. Nor have I read on here of any other TV members having any problems with the normal system.

So may I suggest that you use the ordinary TW system to transfer your funds and not their borderless account. Or perhaps changing your Thai receiving bank might help as I know that some Thai banks charge to receive funds and others do not which may suggest differing systems. I know that my Thai bank 'Kasikorn' makes no charge to receive my TW transfers from the UK.

I did a transfer last Friday using their 'normal system' and had exactly the same problem as those using a borderless account so both options were affected.

I had an email confirming 'money had been sent, early this morning and it was in my BKKB account when I checked at about 2pm.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Benroon said:

Interesting stuff - does that show as an International Transfer then ? (I see it as a chance to stop the flow of threads starting my bank doesn’t show as international .,....etc etc)

oh and i’m assuming the receiving bank doesn’t apply fees ? 

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

RationalFX sent via the SWIFT network so it will definitely be showing as an international bank transfer so easier to prove for visa purposes payments from abroad. They take the fee out of their end and cover it so it you won't be down on yours. So what they say you'll receive in baht when you setup the transfer is what you'll get, no hidden or extra fees.

Western Union send via a local Thai bank so a bit like transferwise in that respect and will show up as a local transfer between their thai bank to your thai bank, again no hidden fees, what they say on the site you'll receive, you'll get. Same as transferwise and rationalfx.

On 2/4/2019 at 3:45 PM, mngmn said:

Response from Transferwise.

"Hey xxx, we did unfortunately have an issue with our partner bank in Thailand and for this reason your payment bounced back from them to us. The money is within our system and we'll try sending it out again today, it should be on your account by tomorrow. We're very sorry for any inconveniences this caused you."

Note they are only going to "try" sending it again. Also note it's not their fault. In fact, it's never their fault.

A comment not necessarily to you but to the posts re transferwise:

This company is operating as a middleman between two external bank accounts and their own country-based accounts. All such accounts are governed and regulated by authorities/banks in each participating country (read Greed) .

Transferwise does not make these laws but certainly takes a cut of the action. There's no reason a transfer of $10,000 should cost more than a $10 transfer but the banksters have effective lobbyist in every country. 

While transferwise may occasionally screw up too, I fully expect the complex maze of laws/regulations that these archaic banking systems operate under AND impose themselves are the ones usually at fault. Everybody in the banking chain is intent on making/embezzling money from transfers, as they have always been. 

With today's communications transfers should be as easy and cheap as sending an email and probably will be someday when the whole bock chain clustertf**k gets worked out. 

Until then greed will dominate this arena. Banking systems are wrecking whole economies around the world. 

Noimal fees for service are one thing but gouging for the sake of it is quite another. There is absolutely no reason to trust any bank anywhere. 

Update : I got a mail from TW on two transfers I did two days ago from my USA account to Bangkok Bank. They admitted fault and said it had been corrected. So in this case it is their fault. 

Out of a few dozen transfers with them thus has happened twice.

My rant above still stands. 

Edited by RocketDog
Update