Finnish boy, 5, savaged on Ao Nang beach by pack of wild dogs - rabies feared

webfact

8 minutes ago, Creasy said:

If Thailand wasn't a banana republic, the dog owners by law would need to register their dogs and make them wear a tag and collar.

Any dog caught on the street without a rego tag gets euthanised .

LOL  Do you know what the compliance rate for pet owners is in big western cities? Try sub 30% in a good year.  The one city where compliance works is Calgary, Canada. It has an estimated licensing and vaccination compliance rate of 90%  on dogs and 55% on cats. It must be doing something right. The city presents a problem worse than  Thailand in respect to environment because of the large rural zones around the city and the high quality  parks and nature reserves. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Yes a nice pic of the dog helps the healing, a 9 Mill Glock stops the bite.

For years, I only carried a "dog gun" (.32). Dog guns date back to the invention of bicycles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Krabi is known to be an area where rabies is rampant.

Apart from wishing a speedy recovery for the 5 year old, there shouldn't be much more to say.

Assuming the above statement is correct, that rabies is rampant, and it is not a spectacular statement by ThaiVisa news, why is the situation as it is with any stray dogs visible?

To me it is as if the Thai authorities are deliberately waiting for someone to die from these sort of attacks before any significant action is taken. Sickening.

And without trying to criticize any parents, IMO the reason why so many children are open to attack is:

1. Because of their size, presenting an opportunity.  

2. The kids naturally showing fear. This is a dangerous state to be in with any dogs, but so much more so with a semi-feral pack of dogs.

Parents should not let their children wander off alone. And I must reiterate, I'm not blaming any parent, just suggesting that they stay with their kids when they see dog packs about. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, briansbiology said:

Kill the stray dogs. sTop avoiding the crisis that is growing populations of feral dogs. My son was attacked by a dog in our soi. I killed it myself as nobody would deal with it. all the bleeding heaqrts must face the facst that there is not a 'forever home' for every dog and that in this environment they become quite savage. its sad. I am a dog lover but like people some dogs are past helping and the emotional do-gooders who fantasize that there is a loving solution are simply an obstacle to removing a very real danger. 

Agreed.  Time for target practice.

• Like 1

Poor boy, it's about time the authorities get these stray dogs off the bleeding streets. 
I take no mercy when stray dogs approach me with aggression. if i feel they are going to attack, they will be getting a very stiff kick to the chest before they can get to me. 

Edited by Kaopad999
spelling

1 minute ago, michael888 said:

This is a problem EVERYWHERE in Thailand, and SE Asia for that matter.  Spay and nueter.  There are so many wild dogs here it is ridiculous.  Its irresponsible for a society to let animals reproduce haphazardly creating this problem.  Idiocy.

in the south it's a trend man... some time ago it was the singing birds, after that the cats, after the cats they had the dogs and now it's the rosters... once they are tired o anything they just abandon it

• Like 2