Another small child savaged by dogs - three year old in serious condition in hospital

webfact

4 hours ago, kellettgs said:

It seems so straight forward. When a dog bites a human the dog gets put down. A stray mutt at my condo tried to bite me and the security guard said, "mai pen rai." I complained to the condo about the guards taking care of the stray mutts and they blew me off. It makes my condo and the city look unclean and bad when there are stray mutts craping everywhere and chasing people.

One day i passed a thai government building where 3 huge dogs attacked me....i chased them back inside the compound and complained at the security...he pointed to the large building and said 'mai pen lai'. 

Now one of those dogs is even cripple, it has a broken leg but still sleeps on the road where cars drive very close to it.

It's time the owners of such dogs get a huge fine for causing trouble and they should be forced to keep them inside.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Many towns in Thailand practice culling, of the soi dogs. It is the responsible thing to do. Nobody takes care of these mutts, and some deluded souls think there is Buddhavistic merit in feeding them, hence they survive, due to ignorance and foolishness. They need to start educating the public, and teaching them that feeding these dogs is actually a bad thing for society. Feeding these dogs actually leads to brutal attacks. Do not give them strength. Deny them food. Let them perish. Take them all out. They bite, terrorize, scare and are up to no good. They are not wanted, they are not needed, and they are troublesome. Cull them, until there are none left to cull. 

Innocent kids are the last people in the world who should have to deal with this kind of thing. They could be traumatized for life, from an incident like this. And why? Lazy and slothful local authorities, not doing their jobs, is why. Culling is not a difficult thing. I would actually get involved, if the authorities asked for volunteers. Let's clean up Thailand, one stray, mangy, rabid, vicious, good for nothing dog at a time.

I think it's a good idea. And instead of chucking away the bodies, they could make a bit of money by selling them for dog meat. 

6 hours ago, SammyT said:

"But the security guard shot that bitey dog for no reason the other day and deserves to go to jail. Typical aggressive Somchai."

~ 40% of TVF users on the other thread.

I love animals, but its time for Thailand to put the Buddhist principles aside and eradicate some stray dogs.

I understand why someone might deem the supposed 'humane' treatment of strays here as being due to Buddhist philosophy, but, to be fair, in reality it is not so. A) Most Thais (if we're honest about it) aren't particularly Buddhist in their outlook at all, and B) the life of the majority of stray dogs here is far from comfortable, and is simply unacceptable to anyone who really cares about animal welfare.

Yes they're fed and watered by kinder individuals and they're generally integrated into the local area and accepted by Thai society without too many complaints - they aren't widely culled or impounded, as they would be in the West - but the point is, surely, that the more humane thing to do is to limit their numbers by culling / sterilisation, get them off the streets and where possible find owners for them. Turning a blind eye only compounds the problem. If you look around at the health of the average soi dog you'll see that a great many have pretty bad mange or other fur/skin disorders, as well as a whole host of other debilitating and unpleasant diseases, besides that there are the many thousands that are either injured or killed in both traffic accidents and fights every year. That's without adding these sorts of tragedies into the mix, where semi-ferral animals savage children and adults on an all too regular basis. This is entirely unacceptable, and as much as I like Thailand, I have to agree with a previous poster that these kinds of incidents would only be allowed to continue in a primitive society. This is a very serious problem for the country and it's one that is consistently ignored. How many children will need to be mauled or killed by strays before this issue is given the attention it requires? It's both an animal and societal welfare issue, and is one that's resolution is long over due!

3 hours ago, johng said:

Yes !!   because they might be  someone's beloved grandma re-incarnated ????  ????

This is what I don't quite get.

If that dog could be Apichat's beloved grandma re-incarnated, why Apichat kicks the dog out on the street in the first place?

How many scarred children will it take until somebody does something about the feral dog situation? 10? 100? 1000? Or maybe no number is big enough for someone, anyone to get off their ass and actually solve this problem. In the meantime, I won't hold my breath.

The all important damage to image of the country will take the forefront on this sad situation. Some inflated poo-bah will gather a crowd for a new conference, with cameras recording the hot air festival. The stray dog problem will receive as much correction as taxis who don't use meters. 

I was attacked by a half dozen crazed soi dogs in Pai while walking back to the B2 Pai Premier hotel in Pai one night around 11pm.  (If you google map it, you can see it’s a bit out of the downtown area).  Swinging my backpack and a stick that I found was no deterrent and nothing I could do would scatter the pack.  Fortunately, after about 15 minutes of being backed into a corner, an elderly Thai man drove by in his pickup, heard my cries for help and quickly drove over, nearly running over the dogs, giving me just a split second to be able to hop into the bed of the truck with the dogs chasing us all the way back to the hotel.

Sure, some of the soi dogs seem docile enough, but the ones that show ANY aggression deserve a bullet to the head.

Until a few politicians kids are bitten, or other more powerful people in this country have a family member mauled, or killed, there will not likely be any changes done to the way dogs are handled in Thailand. I have seen this biting problem gone on,  for over 24 years and no changes yet. Absolutely sad.

Geezer

This f...ng dogs needs to kill. Many island is full with these kind of dogs, you can see them fight with each other close to the tourist and almost break the other dogs. Who the f.. wants to see this? If the dog doesn't have owner collect all and put somewhere or execute all, nobody need them.

Time to shoot every single dog in a public place that is not on a lead. Then the ones with collars and name tags can be traced to their owners and the owners heavily fined, and I am not talking 500 Baht either! When will this stop? When they have killed a few kids. I would gladly and cheerfully shoot them for free if someone provides a decent gun and ammo

1 minute ago, Formaleins said:

Time to shoot every single dog in a public place that is not on a lead. Then the ones with collars and name tags can be traced to their owners and the owners heavily fined, and I am not talking 500 Baht either! When will this stop? When they have killed a few kids. I would gladly and cheerfully shoot them for free if someone provides a decent gun and ammo

Let me join

41 minutes ago, Kim J said:

How do you determine which are the aggressive ones until it is too late? No dog should be allowed to wander around freely, they contribute nothing positive to society or the environment, only cause problems.

You make a fair point.  In my instance, it was too late and I truly feared for my life...and I’m a pretty big and fit guy.  I was sober too.  I can’t imagine what it would have been like for a 70 year old guy (I’m 50) who has had a few beers before returning to his home/hotel.

When I think of the “docile” ones, I think of the ones that I see lounging about in the Chiang Mai old city, during the daytime, outside of the owners shophouse or wandering closely by.  But as you say, who is to tell which is which.  It’s the dogs that are out and about at night that really concern me.  There have been many times that I wished I was carrying a baseball bat with me at the time.

2 hours ago, Con Peoples Fund said:

I am one of the "somchais" who feed stray dogs. I am not a "somchai"  btw and i feed them out of compassion, pity maybe but not to make merits. And yes i agree dogs who attacked need to be eveluated and put down if no way to rehabilitate.

By feeding the problem you are acting supremely selfish to assuage your 'feelings'. Performing this self centered act in a foreign country is heartless, when you consider you're contributing to these horrific acts that are occurring with alarming regularity. Why don't you go back to where you came from and be civically irresponsible there instead of putting the rest of us at risk?  

So where are the bedside groupies who attended the poor Finnish boy? It doesn't matter. It's only a Thai child and it won't be bad publicity for the Thai tourist industry! Let's hope the boy recovers quickly and the parents get some help.

They don't have to kill,  Just put them on a leash  or  buy a muzzle.

But i sure blame the government by making no law to that problem,

The house I sold a month ago on a soi, every time I had to go out I had to face off with 14 dogs .on 9 different houses on the soi , there is 23 houses on that soi.

Ii sure damage the image of this country,  

6 hours ago, kellettgs said:

It seems so straight forward. When a dog bites a human the dog gets put down. A stray mutt at my condo tried to bite me and the security guard said, "mai pen rai." I complained to the condo about the guards taking care of the stray mutts and they blew me off. It makes my condo and the city look unclean and bad when there are stray mutts craping everywhere and chasing people.

Tried or actually bit?

If bitten for real, you should get your injections AND present that bill to the condo, do a police report first.

If condo deny, ask the police to step in, they can enforce this. Nothing to do with owning the dogs or not, it was on their property and their security ''owns'' the dogs.

I have been bitten, vaccins 3500thb, but owned by poor people I let it go. Was it owned by someone who has a stone built house, they would have got the bill from me.

Last week I was bitten again, and this time in the soi by owned dogs they let the dogs out all the day, but I am already vaccinated so no bill to give them.

Rgds,

Comments/suggestions waste of time. The only way to get something done is for one of the officials, ministers MP's for it to happen to one of their family and you will not believe how fast the dogs would have been killed.

In England/Britain the police/animal controle would be out and the dogs rounded up or killed before the animals had finnished licking their lips.

Poor little kid 3 yrs old, OMG. MAKES ME CRY.

Sorry, but will have to be a western tourist getting mauled to even bump the needle.   This one will be forgotten once the blood money is paid and something else more interesting happens for the media to cover.

Anyone in HH?  How are those shark nets doing?

Archived