Six marine officials killed as van blows tyre, crashes into tree

webfact

Six marine officials killed as van blows tyre, crashes into tree

By The Nation

2.jpg

Picture: Channel 3

Six Marine Department officials were killed and five others seriously injured when their van struck a tree in Chumphon province Sunday morning.

A burst tyre was blamed for the 10am accident. The van plunged into a ditch and smashed against a tree.

1.jpg

Picture: Channel 3

The officials – all male between 42 and 58 years old – were returning from Phuket, where they’d helped dredge canals. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30364680

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-25
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

How often have I seen air compressors at gas stations without a tire gauge attached. How often have I offered my own tire gauge to those, who did not know about the right tire pressure. How often was my offer turned down, kicking the tire with the shoe seemed to be an adequate test, that the tire pressure is correct. How often have I seen drivers filling up the tires of their cars and motorcycles, until the compressor stopped delivering, and you cannot tell them anything, they know better. I stopped counting.

Of the maybe 6 petrol stations within 10km of my house, only one has a working type pressure gauge machine, The rest either don't work at all, or you can't set the pressure.  One of them is on a major road north from Sattahip to Korat. 

• Like 1

In my 50+ years of driving a million miles or two, I have had the odd tire blow out but never a loss of reasonable control.

One memorable occasion was when driving a truck on a super highway at 100 kph and a front tire blew out. No great amount of control was lost. I steered the vehicle easily to the service lane.

• Like 1

Nearly got taken out a couple of weeks ago by a boy racer in his souped up toyota vios, he must of been going flat out. Heard a loud bang (tire blow out) so looked in my mirror and managed to take evasive action as he spun out of control.

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Looking at the damage, and seeing the death toll, i think it was more than just a tyre blow out.

Speed, lack of experience, panic, maybe even drink involved, who knows.

Sad and tragic loss of life, many families mourning the loss of loved ones, R.I.P.

I would agree with you on that.

In the past I've had tyres blow out at speed, and while it causes the steering to 'wobble', it was straightforward to allow the vehicle to decelerate, then apply the brakes once it had come to a stop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, neeray said:

In my 50+ years of driving a million miles or two, I have had the odd tire blow out but never a loss of reasonable control.

One memorable occasion was when driving a truck on a super highway at 100 kph and a front tire blew out. No great amount of control was lost. I steered the vehicle easily to the service lane.

Me too. Travelling Hua Hin to Surin, on the BKK flyover, doing about 70kph when near side tyre blew. I slowed down and stopped easily. My tyres were the correct PSI.

Rather than 'the tyre blew', it's more likely that he was travelling at great speed and fell asleep. The tyre brobably blew out in the ensuing impact or on the kerb - seconds before impact.

But I'm not an expert..... of course.

9 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

How often have I seen air compressors at gas stations without a tire gauge attached. How often have I offered my own tire gauge to those, who did not know about the right tire pressure. How often was my offer turned down, kicking the tire with the shoe seemed to be an adequate test, that the tire pressure is correct. How often have I seen drivers filling up the tires of their cars and motorcycles, until the compressor stopped delivering, and you cannot tell them anything, they know better. I stopped counting.

I dunno mate. How often?

10 hours ago, neeray said:

Yes but you lose control and spin out/roll over if you slam the brakes, which normally thai drivers do when their over/under-inflated front tire explodes.

I’ve instructed my wife over and over again, never-never to touch the brakes if a tyre goes. Just stear to the road side!