Marriage certificates and paperwork

This sounds as if you want visa to another country advice rather than marriage (which you appear to have done already)?  Sorry can not help as American and live in Thailand.  You may want to have marriage certificate translated and registered with MFA (which makes it a legal document internationally) but not sure if required for visa use.

Yes we are married now. Ok, I will goto translation offices in bangkok and get the certificates translated into English and registered with the MFA, I just wasn’t sure if I need to go back to the British embassy in bangkok and do anything there with these documents?
Thanks lopburi3

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Ignore the earlier advice about asking the British Embassy, they play no part in the process and neither will they offer advice. You could call the UKVI helpline, they are expensive and work to a script, all the information is available online.

Your wife needs to apply for a settlement visa, she should start here:  vfsglobal.co.uk/th/en/how-to-apply

The advice on the required documents she needs to attach along with the financial requirements you need to meet. docs-settlement.pdf

Feel free to ask any specific questions that your wife or you may have. 

Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement_Final.pdf

2 hours ago, spiceman said:

Yes we are married now. Ok, I will goto translation offices in bangkok and get the certificates translated into English and registered with the MFA, I just wasn’t sure if I need to go back to the British embassy in bangkok and do anything there with these documents?

You do need to get the marriage certificate translated into English for the application, but you don't need to get it registered with the MFA, it's already a legal document.
The only time you needed to register a document with the MFA was the affirmation of freedom to marry, the MFA confirm the translation from English to Thai was accurate, they don't do it the other way round  
You don't need to go the British Embassy, but your wife will need to go to the Visa Application Centre in Asoke.

8 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

but you don't need to get it registered with the MFA, it's already a legal document.

But a registered translation with MFA makes it legal internationally.  UK may not require for visa as they can verify but it might be required for something else (insurance/pension survivor or such where they are not going to accept Thai language document or a translation that has not been legalized) so always good to have available as becomes more of an issue to obtain once outside of Thailand.

53 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But a registered translation with MFA makes it legal internationally.  UK may not require for visa as they can verify but it might be required for something else (insurance/pension survivor or such where they are not going to accept Thai language document or a translation that has not been legalized) so always good to have available as becomes more of an issue to obtain once outside of Thailand.

The question is about a visa for the UK, and that's what I asnswered, "legalisation" is not required for the UK application, just a certified transalation, and the MFA don't certify Thai to English translations.
As a matter of interest legalisation it isn't required for insurance or pension purposes in the UK either, providers ask for a transaltions by a certified translator or, in most cases, prefer to obtain their own translations.
For the UK a Thai marriage can be lodged with the General Records Office, but it isn't a requirement. 

1 minute ago, theoldgit said:

the MFA don't certify Thai to English translations.

The MFA requires translation from a certified translations service and records with a file number and that with copy of birth certificate becomes a bound legal document for international use.  Been there and done that and it is required by organizations in many countries.  As you mentioned UK has a General Records Office alternative - but the mentioned MFA recorded document should serve the same purpose if ever needed.  

On 2/27/2019 at 4:25 AM, lopburi3 said:

The English translation of our Thai marriage certificate is certified as correct by the translation agency, but we have never had it certified by the MFA.

In over 18 years of marriage and living in the UK these translations, accompanied by the originals, have always been accepted whenever we have had the need to prove we are married; whether by government departments, such as her visa, LTR and naturalisation applications, local authorities or private companies.

Some countries, such as the Schengen states when applying for a visa, do require MFA certification of translations, but the MFA have not 'legalised' it; they have merely certified that the translation is correct. It is the originals which are the legal documents.

Archived