Banking Solution Needed - Moved to Thailand permanently from UK - How to handle banking?

I have been here 8yrs now and would strongly advise you open an offshore account with Standard Bank International ( IOM Branch ).

I can thoroughly recommend you get in touch with Stephen Strowger (Private Client Manager )Offshore Investment Brokers (located in Bangkok )  [email protected]    .  He can put you right on everything and I am more than 100% happy with him .

42 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

I have been here 8yrs now and would strongly advise you open an offshore account with Standard Bank International ( IOM Branch ).

I can thoroughly recommend you get in touch with Stephen Strowger (Private Client Manager )Offshore Investment Brokers (located in Bangkok )  [email protected]    .  He can put you right on everything and I am more than 100% happy with him .

I would advise you don't,

Foreign pension and investment advisors working illegally in Thailand without being registered with THAI SEC using IOM management and investment companies are always crooks.

Not to mention IOM is totally financially corrupt, your money can easily disappear from there with no recourse in any countries law.

Keep your money with Hargreaves Lansdown, they're the only financial management company I felt didn't cheat me and there is no requirement for you to be in the UK after you have opened an account.

Edited by BritManToo
On 3/3/2019 at 1:54 PM, canerandagio said:

the investment bank now simply blocked everything until I prove my residency

Wow your money and they’ve locked you down........  I don’t know if UK has it in US you can pay a monthly mail box rental shop and use their address. They also do parcel post,stamps etc,

14 hours ago, possum1931 said:

When I first moved to Thailand, my Scottish bank would not send my debit card to Thailand, so I used my sister in laws address, but in recent years, my bank changed it's policy and now will send my debit card to Thailand and also my bank statements. They still allow me to live in Thailand even though I do not have a Scottish address.

It is very nice of your Scottish bank to allow you to live in Thailand!

Ok, enough of the wit!

From what I've heard and read, it was a general policy at one time. But banks have improved their security systems over the years and are more amenable to sends cards here.

The same was true for Egypt at one time.

For anyone who is nervous about having cards mailed out  here, it is possible to request that the bank suspend any account activity whilst the card is in transit.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not to mention IOM is totally financially corrupt, your money can easily disappear from there with no recourse in any countries law.

Please give some examples with references............

As already mentioned in this thread a number of TV posters have accounts here (including me) which presumably they would not if there was that sort of concern. 

I don't want to shout nonsense but that was my first impression......:unsure:

Edit - for avoidance of any doubt "here"means IOM

Edited by topt
On 3/3/2019 at 1:54 PM, canerandagio said:

You are right, and that's what I have done for some time. But I can't hide this from HMRC really, it's risky, and in any case - as said below - the investment bank now simply blocked everything until I prove my residency (switching to a friend's address didn't work, they want to see the gas bill on my name, lol).

It doesn't have to be a gas bill, you can live somewhere the owner pays the utilities. You should be able to change the address on your bank account or some other entity and send them a statement/letter.

For general correspondence I use an online postal service, probably considered expensive relative to the amount of mail I get but I think worth it. I took BA and a ticket agent to court from here in Thailand which I couldn't have done without it.

I have never said anything to HMRC, they just send correspondence to the postal service and I do my tax return online.

My son collects my cards from the branch, all you have to do is provide a letter of authorisation.

Nationwide told me when I tried to report in branch I was moving to Thailand that they wouldn't send new debit cards to Thailand so I should use a UK address which I did with the help of a relative.I suppose I will continue on that basis until they want me to do things differently..

1 hour ago, chang50 said:

Nationwide told me when I tried to report in branch I was moving to Thailand that they wouldn't send new debit cards to Thailand so I should use a UK address which I did with the help of a relative.I suppose I will continue on that basis until they want me to do things differently..

Is this a recent thing?

I ask because the last 2 Nationwide visa debit cards (2011 and 2016) I've had have been sent to the thai address I am registered at with Nationwide.

The one I'm using now was not able to be activated until I called their Fraud Operations team to confirm the card's safe arrival.

16 minutes ago, bouph12 said:

Is this a recent thing?

I ask because the last 2 Nationwide visa debit cards (2011 and 2016) I've had have been sent to the thai address I am registered at with Nationwide.

The one I'm using now was not able to be activated until I called their Fraud Operations team to confirm the card's safe arrival.

2007..not sure whether to report a change of address or not do they need proof address?

Edited by chang50
more details