EU's Barnier makes last ditch Brexit offer, Britain 'not impressed'

rooster59

4 hours ago, Topdoc said:

This is MB's fault. He is the negotiator and he has presented a deal that the UK cannot accept.
Keep in mind none of these EU 'officials' can be voted out of office.

negotiating a deal is like playing poker, lot's of BS and the better at bluffing most of the times wins....guess MB is a better bluffer but I don't remember seeing him point a gun at May's head and forcing her to accept anything & everything

2 hours ago, Loiner said:

They are making it so easy for us to Leave No Deal. Next step on Tuesday will be to reject May's surrender, then no extension to Article 50, and we're almost there.

A nice thought, but I'd be VERY suprised if MPs didn't vote to extend article 50 and the 'negotiations'.....

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Rubbish. Brexit has been negotiated all along by the Remainers led by the UK PM. They had/have no desire to leave the EU, which is why nearly 2 1/2 years down the line, the PM is running around the EU like a headless chicken.

Perhaps if in the beginning Brexit MPs and cabinet ministers had been left solely in charge instead of being sidelined the result would have been different than what it is today.

Teresa May gave away the bargaining points early on in the game along with most of her red lines and now in the headless chicken mode.

I also think that if Boris Johnson (or any other Brexiteer in the cabinet) had been the PM the result once again may well be different than they are now.

if ifs and buts were pots and pans, there'd be no work for tinkers' hands.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

????????

This is the crux of the matter.

people seem to have forgotten how much trouble “The Troubles” was.

Mere trifling details to be ignored and principles and agreements to be abandoned to the most patriotic of Brexiteers...

Image result for bishopsgate bomb

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, vogie said:

In a game of poker there is normally a winner, in your scenario of poker there will be two losers, in my opinion if M Barnier is willing to cut his nose off to spite his face it doesn't make him a good poker player or either a nice person. We all know he wants to make a lesson of the UK for wanting to leave their dysfunctional regime, even if that destroys some of europes economy, it matters not one jot to him.

You’re in charge of your country. Do you really think sitting sulking in a corner and lamenting about others will get you anywhere? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, vogie said:

In a game of poker there is normally a winner, in your scenario of poker there will be two losers, in my opinion if M Barnier is willing to cut his nose off to spite his face it doesn't make him a good poker player or either a nice person. We all know he wants to make a lesson of the UK for wanting to leave their dysfunctional regime, even if that destroys some of europes economy, it matters not one jot to him.

clearly a brexiter that doesn't like MB... who (besides the brexiters including you) sees 2 losers, from  where I stand there's only 1 loser, the people of the UK

23 minutes ago, vogie said:

Mind-boggling, your line of thinking...........

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

For an eumainer that is so opinionated on the UK leaving the EU, why are you bothered so much what we do. Our country has democratically voted to leave, will it leave you financially worse off or something, is that why you are so hot under the collar. Insulting other members does nothing to help your cause.

I wasn’t insulting anyone or promoting any cause. I asked you how sitting sulking in a corner lamenting about others will get you anywhere. Why so defensive? 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Absolute nonsense.

Remind me, which UK civil servants can be voted out of office?

Which members of the House of Lords can be voted out of office?

Which members of the royal family can be voted out of office?

How many people voted for May when she took office (as PM)?

...and how does this existentially important question help the UK? 

34 minutes ago, damascase said:

You mean people like Davis? Forgotten how he turned up in that very first official Brexit meeting empty-handed and without a clue about what line to take in the negotiations?

You can hardly blame Barnier c.s. for having spent the 9 months between the referendum and the first meeting preparing the negotiations. Must have been frustrating for him to find his opposite number being completely unprepared......

Why. It depends on when he was put into the position, what options he was to ask for, what the cabinet and the PM would expect and most importantly how well he was briefed/ backed up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1