Alternative to Transferwise for Monthly transfers-new visa regs

12 minutes ago, bangkokbrian47 said:

have been using TransferWise for the last six months and each time it has shown on my Bangkok Bank statement and in my passbook as an international transfer coded FTT - until just 3 days ago when my latest transfer showed up as SMB and not FTT. It appears that TransferWise used their TMB bank in Thailand for this particular transfer and not Bangkok Bank. I am thus in the unfortunate position of not being able to show an international transfer on a monthly basis required by Thai Immigration - so stuffed!

Don't sweat it. You may at the time be able to persuade them  if you can show them paperwork tying the withdrawal from your home account to the arrival in your Thailand account. Depends on your office... 

I just had a friend get lucky in that respect in Jomtiem, persuading an IO that despite not having as much as 65,000 every month, the average was more than that for the year. 

Else you need to get 800,000 in there 2 (or is it 3) months before .

Edited by jacko45k

It seems to me at this moment in time you pays your money and takes your chance. Until TW changes the way they send their payments and / can show they are International (which I don’t think they are able to do so) you are not going to be 100% certain how it will show. 

I think their package is great and was using them myself every month until recently but now I would rather pay a little extra and get fully comprehensive as opposed to third party as far as my next Extension is required. Things can be difficult enough as they are without them squabbling over one payment in a year which just happened to be bought in to your bank by a different route as per the Gentleman above. 

For me it just aint ain’t worth the risk. 

Edited by Kadilo

Slightly off topic, but still in the general vicinity.

I renewed my Retirement Extension at the Jomtien Office this week, I have been using OrbitRemit since may last year, similar company to Transferwise, however they use Kiatnakin Bank here to transfer into my SCB account and it subsequently doesn't show as an international transfer.

OrbitRebit has an individual transfer report which clearly shows that you are making an international transfer, amount in AUD and the amount of baht you get, plus it shows the SCB account number it is being credited to.

I showed one of these transfer advice's to the IO and asked if they would be happy to accept these as proof of international transfer and was told very bluntly that the only thing they will accept is a bank statement showing deposits as international transfers.

So I guess we are all playing Russian Roulette by using anything that isn't guaranteed to show on your bank statement as an international transfer, one little hiccup could lead to refusal to renew next year, I am married and have a daughter here, not sure I wish to take that risk.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bangkokbrian47 said:

I have been using TransferWise for the last six months and each time it has shown on my Bangkok Bank statement and in my passbook as an international transfer coded FTT - until just 3 days ago when my latest transfer showed up as SMB and not FTT. It appears that TransferWise used their TMB bank in Thailand for this particular transfer and not Bangkok Bank. I am thus in the unfortunate position of not being able to show an international transfer on a monthly basis required by Thai Immigration - so stuffed!

I contacted TMB bank in Bangkok with the relative transaction number but they said that they could not confirm that it was an international transfer and that I should contact TransferWise for them to confirm to my local Bangkok Bank that it was indeed an international transfer.

I am still awaiting their reply.

Set up a DeeMoney account.. you'll then be able to return the money (unless you need more here anyway), and send it again using a regular Swift method...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thetefldon said:

Been out of the country for many years as a FD customer. Have UK credit card and debit card with them and all my UK pensions paid into my current account. Great service. Sorry you didn't find it so.

I too like Transferwise BUT I also like living in Thailand, I need evidence that I transfer 65,000 each month from the UK and it seems that at the moment TW cannot guarantee this. Which is why I am looking at alternatives.

I was concerned about using TW after hearing that the money might not be correctly tagged so I wrote to them directly. Rather than requote my post on it, here is a link to my question and heir response. Look at #12 and #13.

David

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, bangkokbrian47 said:

I have been using TransferWise for the last six months and each time it has shown on my Bangkok Bank statement and in my passbook as an international transfer coded FTT - until just 3 days ago when my latest transfer showed up as SMB and not FTT. It appears that TransferWise used their TMB bank in Thailand for this particular transfer and not Bangkok Bank. I am thus in the unfortunate position of not being able to show an international transfer on a monthly basis required by Thai Immigration - so stuffed!

I contacted TMB bank in Bangkok with the relative transaction number but they said that they could not confirm that it was an international transfer and that I should contact TransferWise for them to confirm to my local Bangkok Bank that it was indeed an international transfer.

I am still awaiting their reply.

Gte a copy of the credit advice from BB and see what it shows.

Don't sweat it. You may at the time be able to persuade them  if you can show them paperwork tying the withdrawal from your home account to the arrival in your Thailand account. Depends on your office... 
I just had a friend get lucky in that respect in Jomtiem, persuading an IO that despite not having as much as 65,000 every month, the average was more than that for the year. 

Technically all Transferwise transfers are domestic, it just depends if Immigration do a bit of investigation and decide all are deemed as domestic

4 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

I was concerned about using TW after hearing that the money might not be correctly tagged so I wrote to them directly. Rather than requote my post on it, here is a link to my question and heir response. Look at #12 and #13.

David

Yes many thanks, have seen the thread. However I was really looking for people with experience of First Direct in the UK. I use TW now and have had a similar conversation with them via email. Guess I am just a bit put off by the convoluted way they are suggesting we proceed.

2 hours ago, steve73 said:

I understand that Swedes are still able to get a letter, so the coding of your funds is irrelevant (unless perhaps you wanted a FET to buy a condo). 

Yes you are correct, but there are situations with i.e. the retirement yearly extension where we have people NOT having any recorded income at all, and therefore no income-letter at all. just having money in the bank. so they should be in almost the very same situation as you UK-people are......

glegolo

2 hours ago, jimn said:

I am not doubting you because I dont know and I am not Swedish. I would say however that this seems most unusual. In every case from transfering from the UK it is always cheaper to send ££££ and for the money to be transferred into baht using the Thai banks TT exchange rate. The same goes with using a credit card abroad, never choose to let the originating bank do the exchange, it is always poor. Are you 100% sure what you state is true, as I say I am not doubting your belief but I will be very surprised if this is the case.

Yes Sir, I am 100% sure and also have back up check up done since a couple of years now. Sending thaibaht is much better then sending SEK.... The difference is about 5 satang between thaibanks and swedish banks doing the conversation..

glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Yes you are correct, but there are situations with i.e. the retirement yearly extension where we have people NOT having any recorded income at all, and therefore no income-letter at all. just having money in the bank. so they should be in almost the very same situation as you UK-people are......

glegolo

True, but based on a discussion I had with my Imm. officer a few weeks ago, if you are from one of the countries that still issues a letter, you are expected to use it for proof. Thai bank income would not be accepted... and if you're using 800k savings they care not how it got there.

3 minutes ago, steve73 said:

True, but based on a discussion I had with my Imm. officer a few weeks ago, if you are from one of the countries that still issues a letter, you are expected to use it for proof. Thai bank income would not be accepted... and if you're using 800k savings they care not how it got there.

I am not sure if I misread your post now, but there are situations where if you do NOT have any income from i.e. Sweden, you can NOT get a income-letter, you understand that??

glegolo

Surprised the authorities have not banned Transferwise. It undercuts ludicrous bank fees and resembles Halvah money transfers.
Halvah lomg used for money laundering and crimes, including terrorism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, glegolo said:

I am not sure if I misread your post now, but there are situations where if you do NOT have any income from i.e. Sweden, you can NOT get a income-letter, you understand that??

glegolo

I was told if you're from one of the countries that no longer issue a letter you MUST show proof by bringing the 65k/mon into your thai bank.  EVERYONE else needs a letter from their embassy.  If you can't get a letter (for whatever reason) you can only use the savings method. 

I did a test transfer from my UK Bank using TransferWise on Thursday to my Bangkok Bank account... it arrived yesterday with FTT printed on the first line.

As many have said TW are aware of the issue and they have a team sorting ... in the meantime

1 ... do the deal

2 ... phone TW and tell then you want it to show FTT in your BB Pass Book... they will pass that info on to the special team who are dealing with this problem. A short time later you will receive an e-mail asking you to pay, Don't pay until you receive the e-mail.

3 ... pay the fee

5 ... check next day

BB is not my main bank, CIMB is, but I will transfer monthly from now to BB... this April I will do my extension using the 800Kthb as I have for many years ...  I normally keep somewhat more than 800Kthb in my CA but one day I might need it quickly so I want to avoid any problems with Immigration. so next I will use the 65K/month.

Edited by JAS21

7 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

I did a test transfer from my UK Bank using TransferWise on Thursday to my Bangkok Bank account... it arrived yesterday with FTT printed on the first line.

As many have said TW are aware of the issue and they have a team sorting ... in the meantime

1 ... do the deal

2 ... phone TW and tell then you want it to show FTT in your BB Pass Book... they will pass that info on to the special team who are dealing with this problem. A short time later you will receive an e-mail asking you to pay, Don't pay until you receive the e-mail.

3 ... pay the fee

5 ... check next day

BB is not my main bank, CIMB is, but I will transfer monthly from now to BB... this April I will do my extension using the 800Kthb as I have for many years ...  I normally keep somewhat more than 800Kthb in my CA but one day I might need it quickly so I want to avoid any problems with Immigration. so next I will use the 65K/month.

Good summary of the process. You can also do the request by email instead of by phone but both will work.

David

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

Apparently, in the near future, TW aim to introduce a system where you will be able to name the partner bank you would like them to use when you set up a transfer.

News on that will be quite important when it happens. Many of us will be hanging on it.

Otherwise hanging from the rafters ...

1 hour ago, Genericnic said:

David

Thank you for the link to the other thread. 

Did you know that you can link directly to a specific comment in that thread?  It's fairly easy to do.  Just go to the comment you want to link to and right-click on the timestamp for the post (upper left corner of the post, for example:  "Posted 37 minutes ago.")  Select "Copy link address" or similar to get a link directly to that comment.  Past the link into your new post.  After a few moments you will see "You're link has been automatically embedded. Display as a link instead."  If you click on "Display as a link instead" it will make a link directly to the comment of interest.  Instead, if you accept the link being embedded it will make the link to the entire thread and then someone will have to find the comment you are referencing.  In other words, you want to display as a link rather than have the link automatically embedded which is the default behavior.  When someone clicks on your direct link they will go straight to the comment you are referencing, not just the thread.

In this case, not a big deal because comment #12 was on the first page of the thread, but if you were linking to a huge multi-page thread it would be a real benefit to link directly to the comment rather than to the entire thread.

• Like 1

I was told if you're from one of the countries that no longer issue a letter you MUST show proof by bringing the 65k/mon into your thai bank.  EVERYONE else needs a letter from their embassy.  If you can't get a letter (for whatever reason) you can only use the savings method. 
It doesn't have to be 65k.

1 ... do the deal

3 ... pay the fee

5 ... check next day

Does this only work with Bangkok Bank? or Kasikorn and the other bank as well?

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Technically all Transferwise transfers are domestic, it just depends if Immigration do a bit of investigation and decide all are deemed as domestic

The TW ones I did that have come in directly to BB appear as international as any of my Swift transfers have done. The currency conversion is not apparent on the passbook, only detailed in an SMS.

The TW ones I did that have come in directly to BB appear as international as any of my Swift transfers have done. The currency conversion is not apparent on the passbook, only detailed in an SMS.
Yes but technically they are all domestic because the money gets transferred internally in Thailand i.e not new money from abroad

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
17 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes but technically they are all domestic because the money gets transferred internally in Thailand i.e not new money from abroad

My point is, in the passbook it looks exactly like a Swift one. Why would immigration proclaim it to be different.

My point is, in the passbook it looks exactly like a Swift one. Why would immigration proclaim it to be different.
if they bothered to investigate how farang transfer money in they could decide they are all domestic and request credit advices to see if Transferwise was used. But its unlikely, they don't seem to dig very deep

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
26 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

if they bothered to investigate how farang transfer money in they could decide they are all domestic and request credit advices to see if Transferwise was used. But its unlikely, they don't seem to dig very deep

Yes, and exactly why a TW transfer to my BB account that happened to come via TMB or Kasikorn and SMT would likely not be accepted!

• Like 1