Income Method - are immigration moving the goal posts again

" I could switch to the 800k method but i don't really want to but with Immigration moving the goal posts all the time it may be the only option. So that's 3 months of me transferring in 65k+ a waste of time and money "

It takes me about 10 seconds to initiate a bank transfer via internet banking... If I were to include the time it takes to login into the bank account and time I take to snap a pic of the confirmation code it could take nearly 30 seconds... as far as wasted money goes,,,, I earn more in my Thai fixed account than in my money market account, plus Thailand doesn't tax the interest.

47 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

No health care in the above countries.  If sick their citizens go to Thailand or Singapore. 

I used to believe that, but there are apparently Thai hospitals in Phnom Penh now. 

The PI private-hospital care is reportedly good. 

Where Thailand exceeds, is that their public/govt hospital care is better than what is available in most other places nearby - especially for those who work(ed) here and are paying into the national-health system.

The rich go to Singapore, but the mega-rich go to the USA, to get the most expensive and advanced level of care in the world.  But almost no Americans can afford that level of care, so increasing numbers go to Mexico, India or Indonesia for scheduled operations.  It's all relative.

38 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Pi is not in the same league as Thailand in food, infrastructure and especially health care and security. PI natives jump at the chance to live in Thailand. 

Thailand wins in food by far - why I often ate at Thai restaurants in Phnom Penh.  All the ingredients you need are in the markets there. 

Wages are lower in the PI, so of course they would rather work here - as do folks from any other country with lower wages than Thailand.  But more than anything, they want to go to "your country" with you (Europe or USA).  I used to shake off the PI gold-diggers by replying that if I left the PI, I wanted to move back to Central America - but never the USA; this was very effective.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I have been here 20 years.  What mercurial Thai immigration are you talking about.  This thread is about the income method for the retirement extension as I read it.  So tell me what did Thai immigration change about the income method?

And if we want to talk about anecdotal experience I know quite a few Filipino families very unhappy at having to move back to the PI.  They are unhappy because of the giant pay cut and lack of paid health insurance like SS in Thailand.

At the end of the day, no matter how many people post their experiences and how much some people want (hope) to boil life down to a computer program where everyone gets the same results no matter the variables, life for each individual IS nothing more than an anecdote, like it or not.

And most people really only care about their life, their 'anecdote', if you will.

Or to use a phrase I don't particularly care for, 'Your Mileage May Vary', although I prefer 'Your Results Will Likely Vary', which takes into account the vagaries of life.

And the smart folks play the odds - if most folks go to Las Vegas and lose, it's pretty likely, although not guaranteed, that I'd get the same result, so I'll make the smart move and save my money

I have no doubt that you could line up folks unhappy to be in or returning to the PI, just as I could line up an equal number of folks happy with their lot in the PI - such is the nature of life

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gentlemanjackdarby said:

I think there might be some confusion on that

For those over 50, Malaysia has always required the equivalent of MYR 350,000 (about USD 85,722 or about THB 2,700,00) to be in one's home country bank account when applying for the MM2H.

For those over 50, Malaysia has recently required the equivalent of only MYR 150,000 (about USD 36,738 or about THB 1,200,00) to be in a fixed deposit in a Malaysian bank. Not much more than Thailand's option of THB 800,000 (about USD 25,000) and, if one is comfortable keeping that sum outside the comfort and convenience of the U.S., likely not a deal-breaker

For those under 50, the amounts are higher, but for as long as I've been considering Malaysia for retirement, those amounts haven't changed

The only recent change that would matter to most folks is that for retired folks, the MM2H program was recently changed to require the fixed deposit in addition to meeting the monthly income requirement (MYR 10,000 per month, which is about USD 2,500 or about THB 77,600) where in the past one could qualify with money in the bank at home and monthly income only

Health insurance has always been a requirement of the MM2H program - no change there and no problem there since well-regarded insurance companies such as Pacific Cross offer great coverage which, by American standards, is inexpensive

From Malaysian visa department.

The government pension option has been discontinued - so no Social Security acceptable must show other income.  (about $3000) not SS. 

KINDLY Apply as early as next few month MM2H Financial Requirements will be higher a lot.

SHOW Latest 3 Months Financial Statement Above MYR350,000+(Over 50 Years Old)

Fixed deposit $37,000 USD - can't take out plus expected to go to $100,000

I have another 3 pages - very complicated. 

The not calculating SS in my income knocks me out and I'd not deposit that much money that I couldn't touch.  I already have insurance so I'd be buying it twice.  Maybe you think it's easy I don't nor do many other people I know.  Check with the lady from CM expats. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gentlemanjackdarby said:

At the end of the day, no matter how many people post their experiences and how much some people want (hope) to boil life down to a computer program where everyone gets the same results no matter the variables, life for each individual IS nothing more than an anecdote, like it or not.

And most people really only care about their life, their 'anecdote', if you will.

Or to use a phrase I don't particularly care for, 'Your Mileage May Vary', although I prefer 'Your Results Will Likely Vary', which takes into account the vagaries of life.

And the smart folks play the odds - if most folks go to Las Vegas and lose, it's pretty likely, although not guaranteed, that I'd get the same result, so I'll make the smart move and save my money

I have no doubt that you could line up folks unhappy to be in or returning to the PI, just as I could line up an equal number of folks happy with their lot in the PI - such is the nature of life

You wrote before and I asked about, " And I guess, if one is in the unfortunate position of being unable to meet the visa requirements of Thailand (or if they can and don't want to put up with mercurial attitude of Thailand Immigration)"

What mercurial attitude has Thai Immigration displayed in the income method of extensions?"  

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

What mercurial attitude has Thai Immigration displayed in the income method of extensions?"

As I've said befor, the IO who does my extensions is always very "mercurial" towards me, but that's probably because he fancies the pants off me.

31 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I used to believe that, but there are apparently Thai hospitals in Phnom Penh now. 

The PI private-hospital care is reportedly good.

90 minutes time window if lucky.  Any place I go in Thailand I'm 90 minutes away from life saving care.  I travel to CM, Bangkok, Pattaya and so on.  Not possible in Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, PI.  My only choice and indeed any older person who is concerned about his/her heart is Thailand or back home.  Singapore is too expensive. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Peasandmash said:

" I could switch to the 800k method but i don't really want to but with Immigration moving the goal posts all the time it may be the only option. So that's 3 months of me transferring in 65k+ a waste of time and money "

It takes me about 10 seconds to initiate a bank transfer via internet banking... If I were to include the time it takes to login into the bank account and time I take to snap a pic of the confirmation code it could take nearly 30 seconds... as far as wasted money goes,,,, I earn more in my Thai fixed account than in my money market account, plus Thailand doesn't tax the interest.

What goal posts re retirement extensions in the past 10 years has Thailand moved? 

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Only because it's less than your personal allowance. It counts towards your gross annual income for tax purposes, therefore, if you have other sources of income, you are effectively taxed on it.

You are not taxed on 'it' at all (it being the State Pension). You are taxed on other income which exceeds the personal allowance. Let me give a simplified example: let us say for an example the personal tax allowance is 11000 pounds. If at the age of 64 your total income is 12000 pounds then you will be taxed on the 1000 in excess of the 11000. If at the age of 65 your income from other sources is the same at 12000 and in addition you now receive 5000 pounds State Pension, then assuming allowance is the same then your net income is now 17000 and you will be taxed on 6000 pounds of your other income. Note: State Pension is not taxed at source or liable to taxation at any point in this cycle. Taxation is purely on income from other sources. With State Pension, your allowance on income from other sources obviously goes down. Talking wishy-washy words eg "effectively" is a deflection and not correct.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 9:16 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On 3/14/2019 at 9:13 AM, freedomnow said:
Why doesn't someone send a text message to BJ in Thai about getting all offices on the same page regarding this ? As much as he is hardline to foreigners, he is also hardline to the slobs in Imm. offices.
I'm not a retiree, just an observation that there appears to be a line open to him and from what I read that particular office is a pure headache on the make.

the muppets there are clearly corrupt with the agencies lining up out back but BJ turns a blind eye, we all know so why doesn't he

Correct . more  dodgy visas , equals  more  dodgy money . 

Bjoke , good brain. 

Edited by elliss

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

You are not taxed on 'it' at all (it being the State Pension). You are taxed on other income which exceeds the personal allowance. Let me give a simplified example: let us say for an example the personal tax allowance is 11000 pounds. If at the age of 64 your total income is 12000 pounds then you will be taxed on the 1000 in excess of the 11000. If at the age of 65 your income from other sources is the same at 12000 and in addition you now receive 5000 pounds State Pension, then assuming allowance is the same then your net income is now 17000 and you will be taxed on 6000 pounds of your other income. Note: State Pension is not taxed at source or liable to taxation at any point in this cycle. Taxation is purely on income from other sources. With State Pension, your allowance on income from other sources obviously goes down. Talking wishy-washy words eg "effectively" is a deflection and not correct.

It's absolutely correct. You've just illustrated my point - thanks Mr. Wishy Washy.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

You wrote before and I asked about, " And I guess, if one is in the unfortunate position of being unable to meet the visa requirements of Thailand (or if they can and don't want to put up with mercurial attitude of Thailand Immigration)"

It's foolish to speak of TI only in the context of the 'income method' because I doubt there are TI officers who deal only in that one aspect of the job.

TV is full of threads in which people relate their less-than-ideal TI experiences and, while I'm sure a lot of folks are leaving out key facts in their posts, there are way too many of them to characterize TI as anything other than 'mercurial'; I prefer 'mercurial' since that term doesn't have the more 'unpleasant' connotation of some terms other folks use to describe TI.

After all, all I care about is understanding a situation and improving my odds of a satisfactory outcome should I find myself in it, not the names used to describe it, i.e., 'a rose by any other name...'

You and I have 'exchanged opinions' in the past, so I know you're not a newbie here and so don't think it's very likely that you're unaware of the threads of which I speak

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gentlemanjackdarby said:

It's foolish to speak of TI only in the context of the 'income method' because I doubt there are TI officers who deal only in that one aspect of the job.

TV is full of threads in which people relate their less-than-ideal TI experiences and, while I'm sure a lot of folks are leaving out key facts in their posts, there are way too many of them to characterize TI as anything other than 'mercurial'; I prefer 'mercurial' since that term doesn't have the more 'unpleasant' connotation of some terms other folks use to describe TI.

After all, all I care about is understanding a situation and improving my odds of a satisfactory outcome should I find myself in it, not the names used to describe it, i.e., 'a rose by any other name...'

You and I have 'exchanged opinions' in the past, so I know you're not a newbie here and so don't think it's very likely that you're unaware of the threads of which I speak

I deal and have dealt with Thai Immigration for approximately 20 minutes per year for the past 20 years.  During that time I have always been treated fairly and there have been no changes to my retirement extensions.  Solid, steady and the same every year for 20 years. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

From Malaysian visa department.

The government pension option has been discontinued - so no Social Security acceptable must show other income.  (about $3000) not SS. 

KINDLY Apply as early as next few month MM2H Financial Requirements will be higher a lot.

SHOW Latest 3 Months Financial Statement Above MYR350,000+(Over 50 Years Old)

Fixed deposit $37,000 USD - can't take out plus expected to go to $100,000

I have another 3 pages - very complicated. 

The not calculating SS in my income knocks me out and I'd not deposit that much money that I couldn't touch.  I already have insurance so I'd be buying it twice.  Maybe you think it's easy I don't nor do many other people I know.  Check with the lady from CM expats. 

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Malaysian visa department' but I checked the 'Official Portal' of the Immigration Department of Malaysia (*.gov.my - which denotes an official government domain) and that site makes no mention of MM2H. That in and of itself isn't surprising since there is an an 'official portal' for the MM2H program (sort of like how the PI runs the SRRV program - not much about it on the PI BI website)

I went over to the MM2H site and while there is a 2019 announcement about new requirements for an MM2H application, there is no mention of pension income no longer being acceptable for retirees; however there is language that states that an applicant that states he is employed is not permitted to use other sources of income, such rental agreements, investment benefits, etc. as an income source to qualify for an MM2H pass. There is no specific update that pension income is no longer acceptable for those applicants either.

As well, an agent that I was considering using before I dropped Malaysia down the list as a possible retirement option runs a nice site that is usually updated before the MM2H site, as well makes no mention of pension income no longer being acceptable

The rumor about the fixed deposit increasing has been floating around for awhile, but the only place I've seen that mentioned, with no implementation date, is on the websites of some MM2H agents and when I've looked more closely at their sites, other in-effect changes have not been updated, so I tend to discount those sites.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gentlemanjackdarby said:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Malaysian visa department' but I checked the 'Official Portal' of the Immigration Department of Malaysia (*.gov.my - which denotes an official government domain) and that site makes no mention of MM2H. That in and of itself isn't surprising since there is an an 'official portal' for the MM2H program (sort of like how the PI runs the SRRV program - not much about it on the PI BI website)

I went over to the MM2H site and while there is a 2019 announcement about new requirements for an MM2H application, there is no mention of pension income no longer being acceptable for retirees; however there is language that states that an applicant that states he is employed is not permitted to use other sources of income, such rental agreements, investment benefits, etc. as an income source to qualify for an MM2H pass. There is no specific update that pension income is no longer acceptable for those applicants either.

As well, an agent that I was considering using before I dropped Malaysia down the list as a possible retirement option runs a nice site that is usually updated before the MM2H site, as well makes no mention of pension income no longer being acceptable

The rumor about the fixed deposit increasing has been floating around for awhile, but the only place I've seen that mentioned, with no implementation date, is on the websites of some MM2H agents and when I've looked more closely at their sites, other in-effect changes have not been updated, so I tend to discount those sites.

This is what I got it is a licensed company so they say.  English is awful in the whole thing but I tried to understand it.
There is a lot more but I'm not a rep for the company.  I only post it to show source.  The highlighting is them not me.
I checked it out because the scaremongering by some long time TV posters is getting intense and causing a lot of worry among many people. 

Based on the information given above, please note that government pension has been discontinued recently. Could you please confirm if you have rental income from properties of the USA or Thailand with a foreign currency equivalent to MYR10,000++ or monthly income elsewhere? (As an alternative to fulfill the MM2H requirement)

Also thank you for your interest in the Malaysia My 2nd Home (MM2H) LIFETIME Visa Program, however please note on the below:

OUR COMPANY - Migration 188 (MM2H) Sdn Bhd (Offices in Malaysia & Singapore ) was established in 2006 and license by Tourism Malaysia to promote & process the MM2H Program. 

(MM2H MAIN BENEFITS: Malaysia LIFETIME Visa, Do Business in Malaysia 100% Ownership without Local Malaysian partners, Employ domestic helpers & Etc - SEE FULL BENEFITS BELOW:-)
MM2H APPLICATION FEES RECOMMENDED -  By Tourism Malaysia - MM2H Application MYR7000 AND Relocation Fees MYR3000=MYR10,000)
I will Give you a Rebate and Bill you MYR9000 Single / Couple - Exclude Expenses.

(For MM2H Advises, Guide, Application, Submission & Follow Up Include Providing Personal & Security Bonds up to MYR2000 Per Person. Upon Approval - Arrange hotels, banking, insurance, medical checkup & etc. UNTIL GETTING MM2H Visa Endorsement in your passport from Malaysia Immigration Department) 

PAYMENT:-
For Singaporeans and Hong Kong Citizen where RM500/SGD166 is required upfront to obtain LETTER OF GOOD CONDUCT (LOGC)
(For Foreigners residing in Singapore/Hong Kong can apply for Singapore or Hong Kong LOGC provided they have a PR or valid employment pass)
Letter of Good Conduct request letter to Police Department is required by Ministry of Tourism of Malaysia when applying for this MM2H Programme.
50% Deposit on Application & 50% Balance upon issue MM2H Approval Letter.
NO NEED TO BUY A MALAYSIAN HOME BEFORE OR AFTER MM2H APPROVAL.

UPON MM2H APPROVAL YOU NEED TO BE IN KUALA LUMPUR FOR 4 OR 5 DAYS TO OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT, OPEN FIXED DEPOSIT, DO MEDICAL CHECK UP, BUY MEDICAL INSURANCE AND THEN GET YOUR MM2H VISA ENDORSEMENT IN YOUR PASSPORT IN MM2H IMMIGRATION OFFICE.

THE ADDITIONAL EXPENSES UPON GETTING MM2H APPROVAL ARE:- 
1) MM2H Visa Fee MYR90 Per Year/Person + Multi Re Entry Permit MYR30 Per Year/Pax 
2) Journey Perform Fees MYR530 Per Person (For Citizens needing visa to Malaysia)
3) Malaysia Doctor Check Up+Report MYR120 Per Person required by MM2H Department 
5) Excluded -Your traveling expenses & hotels in Malaysia

Edited by marcusarelus

9 hours ago, SheungWan said:

SheungWan. Why are you agreeing with Spidey and myself and yet arguing that we are wrong???  UK State Pension is paid gross but taxed elsewhere if your total income is over the annual threshold. What have we said wrong???? What is your point???

11 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Complete rubbish. The state pension is income, it is taxed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markthree said:

SheungWan. Why are you agreeing with Spidey and myself and yet arguing that we are wrong???  UK State Pension is paid gross but taxed elsewhere if your total income is over the annual threshold. What have we said wrong???? What is your point???

State Pension is not taxed elsewhere or anywhere. It has an effect (obviously) on your personal allowance threshhold and tax liable on income from other sources. Nobody receives a UK State Pension AFAIK in excess of the annual personal allowance.

Edited by SheungWan

10 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

State Pension is not taxed elsewhere or anywhere. It has an effect (obviously) on your personal allowance threshhold and tax liable on income from other sources.

So you end up paying tax on it in the final analysis.

It does not affect your personal allowance threshold.

Edited by markthree
more info

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

He is correct, he has explained it well. What part of the example is wrong?

See post #171. The State Pension is income as is taxable, if your other income is above 12500. They tend to take the tax via adjusting your tax code as that is the easiest way to collect the tax. But it is the State Pension that is being taxed NOT other income.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

No.

Let me quote off my latest HM Revenue and customs tax code notice. Note 2 .  State Pension.  This income is taxable but tax is not taken off the payments before they are paid to you. We use your tax-free allowance against your pension so you PAY TAX (my capitals)  on this. My code reads like this.  Personal allowance 12500. Total 12500. Less state pension 6737  Total tax-free amount  5763.                                                                                                              

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SheungWan said:
On 3/15/2019 at 9:32 AM, markthree said:

Let's be clear on UK State pension. It is always paid without deduction of tax. BUT. It counts towards your annual income and if your total income is over the personal allowance ( in my case 12500 pounds ) then it is taxed by deduction from other incomes. So you receive your pension gross but you do pay tax on it.

You do not pay tax on your state pension. 

14 hours ago, Spidey said:
21 hours ago, SheungWan said:

You do not pay tax on your state pension. 

Only because it's less than your personal allowance. It counts towards your gross annual income for tax purposes, therefore, if you have other sources of income, you are effectively taxed on it.

Not true/accurate on all statements.

The state pension is a taxable income and, if its above the the tax free allowance, is taxed in the same way as all other taxable income.

This will apply to all over 74's who were (and still are) married before April 2010 or still have children that are under the age of eighteen and were born before April 2010.

Although it is due to finish in 2020, as an example, a married man who retired before April 6th 2010 was entitled to receive an extra dependants (wife's/children's) allowance on top of their state pension. If they also receive SERPS/GPS payments from paying into those schemes throughout their working lives the state pension they receive will (almost certainly) be above their personal tax allowance and they will be paying income tax on it.

See post #171. The State Pension is income as is taxable, if your other income is above 12500. They tend to take the tax via adjusting your tax code as that is the easiest way to collect the tax. But it is the State Pension that is being taxed NOT other income.
 "If your gross income is more than your personal allowance, you're liable to pay income tax on the amount that exceeds the personal allowance"

It's all about your gross income (from different sources) not "other income"

9 minutes ago, markthree said:

Let me quote off my latest HM Revenue and customs tax code notice. Note 2 .  State Pension.  This income is taxable but tax is not taken off the payments before they are paid to you. We use your tax-free allowance against your pension so you PAY TAX (my capitals)  on this. My code reads like this.  Personal allowance 12500. Total 12500. Less state pension 6737  Total tax-free amount  5763.                                                                                                              

You can only pay tax when your total income exceeds your personal allowance and that only happens with income from other sources than State Pension. So, in your example, only if your income from other sources >5763 do you pay tax. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

"If your gross income is more than your personal allowance, you're liable to pay income tax on the amount that exceeds the personal allowance"
It's all about your gross income (from different sources) not "other income"

Gross income cannot move above the personal allowance threshold other than by the addition of other income.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:44 PM, Jip99 said:

With Transferwise you can print out a complete transaction list and match them identically to the receipt on your Thai bank statement.

Could you PM me your method to gain the Transaction list,

I have contacted TransferWise for advice on several occasions

and although very prompt and business like, I received nothing

that was of any use, and also what Thai Bank do you use...

I have a few months yet but I do want to get it all sorted. Cheers