For Thailand’s sake, let’s move beyond Thaksin

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

There are two indisputable facts about Thaksin Shinawatra. First, he was convicted of malfeasance while occupying the Prime Minister’s Office and sentenced to two years in jail by a democratic judicial system at a time when the country was under democratic rule. 

Second, he opted to flee punishment at a time when the country was under the democratic leadership of his own political allies. To those who are now arguing online as “defenders of democracy” that the March 24 election represents a prime chance to bring home a politically persecuted man, these two facts alone should be a command to silence.

And fact #3 is that most Thais ignore facts and logic. If people would look at facts and if they would make logical decisions based on facts then they wouldn't elect criminals and expect and honest government. But Thais again and again vote for the same criminals and somehow they "think" somehow things will improve. That won't happen. But how to explain that to buffaloes?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ensuring that Thailand is ready for a progressive democracy.  I think the author needs to review the definition of democracy.  I thought that under the constitution, the upper house was not for election but selection by the military - am I wrong?

• Like 1

The country can't seem to let go of Thaksin, and I don't just mean the Pheu Thai voting populace.

I also mean politicians of all parties (Sonthi's claim that Abhisit, by denouncing any affiliation with the junta, is a Thaksin supporter, for example) and, more than anything, the Thai press who are forever writing about Thaksin - this article is just one example.

Isn't there more to Thai politics than Thaksin v the army?

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

thailand isnt ready for anything close to that, will settle with getting the military off authoritarian rule

I agree, Democracy does not suit Thailand, it never has.   Strangely perhaps, the proposed split of power after the election is not a bad compromise for this country and may just lead to longer term stability.  It will not of course advance the development of the Nation, but you can't have everything here. Thailand will never be a Singapore, but we should remember that SIN is a very authoritarian and controlling regime. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAG said:
3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's always sad when people compare these cases. It's like comparing a mass murderer with a guy who hit someone once with a fist. Yes, they both did wrong but on a totally different scale.

Thaksin was not only super corrupt, he also didn't even try to hide it. I read the news every day when he was in power and I always thought: How can he get away with that, it's so obvious.

Whilst I agree with the principle that comparing cases is a meaningless exercise, and I appreciate that you read the new every day when he was in power; I do wonder whether you have been reading the news for the last four years?

Yes, I still follow the news everyday. And there is no question that our current rulers are also not exactly clean.

And I am aware of the fact that we read in the news only part of what is going on.

All in all I still think what Thaksin did was a lot worse than what the current people in charge are doing. Part of it is probably also the fact that Thaksin just had to rub it in all the time. It was not enough that he was corrupt and it was not enough that he preferred people who voted for him. He had to tell everybody all the time that he gets away with his crimes and he was proud to work only for the Thais who voted for him.

I don't think Prayut or anybody of the current crowd is even half as bad as Thaksin.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johnmcc6 said:

He is no more corrupt than the multitudes of rich and powerful people. At least he cared for the poor and did many positive things to make life easier for many. Lets hope someone can come on the scene with his good qualities and not just be after wealth and power,

I should have finished with ,does such a person even exist?

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

And, the article brings out the old canard of Thaksin being "convicted". First, it is almost certainly true that he is guilty of something; all of Thailand's leaders fall into that category. However, the article, as usual, misses the point.

But not under self given amnesty and article 44 they aren't.