Video: Much debate as big biker hits pick-up after "tow truck" goes the wrong way

webfact

Eeek, having owned several motorcycles myself my hair stands on end watching this video. The biker had no chance, I just hope he was wearing full leathers and safety gear although I dread to think what injuries were sustained. 

• Like 1

This is pretty much why so many unexplained accidents by so call Thai experts. This pretty much explains why stuff like this continues because the people put in charge have no training or education as to the rules of driving and most of all don't want to hear it from foreigners because this is Thailand.  

One, you have a vehicle emergency or not driving down the wrong way without thinking of taking some precautions like using more of the shoulder of the right plus traffic here couldn't care less if it was an emergency no one seems to care or slow down ahead of the black truck otherwise if driver did everyone would have had to slow down too which might have just avoided the accident for everyone?

Instead, no one shows down then you got the black pickup obviously what he was doing which was pedal to the metal zig zagging pass everyone which is the exact reason drove into the purple vehicle whether it was supposed to be there or not.

Two, Before the crash, the black truck came upon the white truck on the right side too slow so he switched to left lane starts to tailgate the commercial truck thinking as soon as there is an opening he would have cut in front of the white truck on the right. Guarantee this is what the black truck driver was thinking.

3rd, biker no better if he was trained better and taught to look further up 7 seconds instead of thinking big bike so go bigger speed cruising as soon as one came up on the white wagon on the right you could already see a problem if they train and educate them right here slow down even if he had the impact would have been less. But this is Thailand another day of the same oh same oh,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, canthai55 said:

I watched in numerous times before posting.

Some agree with me - those whose past posts indicate proof that they ride bikes and know how to do it.

The remainder of the posts - from people who A. do not ride bikes B. Can not see the sequence of events unfolding before their eyes.

If that biker had any experience - and I mean a capacity to anticipate events unfolding, or potentially unfolding - in front of him, he would have slowed down. When the black truck was struck and entered his lane he would have been going slow enuf to stop before impact.

It matters nothing who is at fault when you ride a bike. All other vehicles on the road are lethal to you if you do not ride to Live.

Oh - it wasn't his fault - as they carry the coffin to the fire.

Lot of good that does him. Learn to ride, or die in the process.

This is the honest truth,  your comments so many don't understand the point you are making even if they have been driving a car or bike for years. I've worked in the transportation industry process all the training and teaching for commercial drivers years later I was given a gift to work alongside with the California highway patrol and help push through the helmet law in the early 90's,  that was when I really learn how to ride a bike and how to determine to scrap bodies off the tar mat and determine who was at fault?  Then I had no idea I was going to be able to use everything I learn to stay alive here.

When it comes to bikes the number one rule you are unprotected you have no chance against a ton of steel and the inflexible pavement so you got to anticipate events unfolding, or potentially unfolding as you noted aside from staying upright that is the most important training on a bike you can get!  Once the biker came upon the white wagon on the right if trained properly should have let up on the throttle when I first watched the video as soon as I saw the while wagon on the right I already could visually see a problem my instinct just from the video said slow down still impact would occur if proper training was required he would have laid the bike on the side instead of going head on which is what you never want when on a motorbike! This is why driving around circles isn't really a test!

Edited by thailand49

Tow truck driver has to take the blame on this one. Just utter stupidity and ignorance. Hope the moto rider is ok.  Glad they got the cam footage, hope it does some good.

Not sure what it is with tow truck drivers...especially the flat bed ones...around where I live, they are the worst, most dangerous drivers...total road cowboys...always speeding.

First, I hope the guy on the bike is Ok. 

Next, I hope this guy and every other rider keeps both fingers lightly over the brake levers - at all times. That way when you need to brake - your reaction time is less that 2 seconds. Take note of the hands of the rider just before the hit. It's like his hands are recoiling back Away from the brake levers, not onto the brake levers. Next the black truck had his right indicator on - for me that's a clear indicator to be on the alert for stupid cage driver maneuvers.  As well, I have always figured it was way better to swerve and hit the bitumen than to rear-end a cage or a pole - I prefer to get a road rash than hit something and get broken bones. Last, I only go as fast as I can brake if something in front of me comes to an emergency dead stop - especially on wet roads. Again, I hope the guy is Ok, and that <deleted> TT driver needs a serious kick in the goolies. Ride safe out there.

Never mind the black pickup that skipped out at him.

All it did was stop him slamming into the back of the white pickup, which he was already approaching much too fast.

Or maybe he thought he was going to undertake between it and the high sided van, without reducing speed.

He had already setup his own accident, but then found himself in somebody elses.

Edited by Enoon

15 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Stickers, siren, flashing lights, has a financial relationship with police. He is therefore above blame in any situation like this. (The stickers seal it under Thai driving culture)

The monthly exemption book payment covers many vehicles here.

Taxis, taxi bikes, well just about everyone who subscribes. 

13 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I've got brains mate, common sense, an IQ over 50 and yes, I do know how to drive correctly. Thai drivers, in the majority, that I observe, have none of those things. It's not all a coincidence that I just happen to see the bad ones, or that only the very rare incidents of stupidity are reported on TV.  It's as common as ants.   As for this clown of a tow truck driver, well he just adheres to the reality of Thai driving. .   

They repeatedly  make the same mistakes, you come up  along  side  them they start  to  pull  out without  looking then swerve back in as  at the last second they spot  you, they give no signal when doing this, then  when I check  my  mirror  you can see them do the same right after you  have passed. 

I haven't seen a  good  Thai driver yet,  you have the incredibly  timid  types  also,  sitting in the outside  lane at 60kph whilst everyone undertakes  them, flashing lights  behind them makes them  pull their turtle  heads  inside and they carry  on oblivious  for km after km, then you have the entitled ones who sit in the outside  lane and no  matter how  much you flash will never  move, even give the "I'm turning right indication" and never  do. 

The  ones who approach  traffic  lights  and can't wait in the  R.H lane and drive to the front and cut  across  everyone else along with the red light jumpers, the list is  endless, people who  comment otherwise are  just kidding themselves and yes certainly in my own country the driving is much better , the vast majority of Thais have absolutely no idea of  road  rules, line markings  and the degree  of selfishness is way higher.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

Yep agreed,

The biker failed to see that the traffic was slowing down ahead, he also failed to brake in time, he did not even had his right hand on the brake lever.
But all that being said, he would still have hit the car, that's just a shitty day.

In Thailand, we don't say "to be thrown under the bus" but we say "to throw buses under you"

Now  years  ago when I did bike training, 1980's they told us to always cover clutch and brake, and I always  have, but  I  saw a recent training video where they reckoned covering the front  brake at all times led to people actually revving the engine harder in an accident situation and making things worse  by accelerating.

13 hours ago, rocketman777 said:

Golden rule of driving "Anticipate the unexpected "

You would  get nowhere doing that, example  middle  of and empty  road and a dog runs out, you would permanently  have to drive at walking pace.

In my case a   deer  galloped  across the road  once, you  cannot  allow for EVERY eventuality and gods  in Thailand are  commonplace in and out of  villages.

12 hours ago, kensisaket said:

Hell yes.  In Thailand, no matter what lane you are in, when you see brake lights (assuming they have brake lights that work) you better be slowing down, getting ready to swerve/make an evasive maneuver, jam on your brakes, pray, and/or all of the above.  

Follow   99%  of Thai drivers and   actually  watch how they drive, at  almost any slight deviation in the road they put brake  lights on rather  than lift off the gas  pedal which is  all they really need to do, its brakes  gas  brake s gas  brakes  gas  all the time, they are  awful drivers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Enoon said:

Never mind the black pickup that skipped out at him.

All it did was stop him slamming into the back of the white pickup, which he was already approaching much too fast.

Or maybe he thought he was going to undertake between it and the high sided van, without reducing speed.

He had already setup his own accident, but then found himself in somebody elses.

he was doing just fine until a backup landed on his lane out of nowhere, a split second before the 2nd crash

All pretty much down to the motorcycle rider NOT riding defensively, a must at the best of times , let alone in Thailand.

Clearly shows motorcycle rider accelerating in top lane without a clear view of what is going on ahead.

In this instance, view obscured by the large truck on his left front.

The Thai authorities are largely to blame because of the layout of roads which force people to drive quite long distances in the wrong direction before making dangerous u-turns.

The upshot of this is accidents like this one where impatient drivers drive the wrong way down the hard shoulder to avoid driving 2 kilometres in the wrong direction to make a u-turn before driving a further 2 kilometres just to get back to where they started.

Gaps in central reservations to facilitate right turns or roundabouts would reduce the need(??) to carry out such reckless behaviour.  Many local roads have been widened to four lane highways in recent years to facilitate through traffic but locals are left with huge detours to make u-turns that were not necessary with the old two lane roads.

12 hours ago, emptypockets said:

How the <deleted> Can the rider read the road ahead in this circumstance. <deleted> a vehicle he could not have seen hit a vehicle in front if him, deaccellarated  said vehicle at a velocity the nobody could out brake.

The numb nut in this thread is not the motorbike rider.

Obvioulsy your 'ride' as you are wont to post is limited to four wheels. You have no qualification to comment POTY in 1932 regardless.

Yes this can be seen as a flame post by the mods, but motorbike safety is something I am passionate about.

So be it.

If you are that passionate on biker safety then have a word with the bloke regarding reading the road ahead for possible trouble and adjust speed accordingly...

After driving in LOS for many years it is obvious that very few people read the road, in fact if one is maneuvering no one slows down so one can complete that maneuver, they would rather risk an accident than give way. Same goes for red traffic lights, risk all for a few seconds..

PS. As for POTY, I wasn't a member in 1932, in fact I wasn't even born...????

PPS. I never had an accident on 2 wheels...????

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gingery said:

I hope this guy and every other rider keeps both fingers lightly over the brake levers - at all times. That way when you need to brake - your reaction time is less that 2 seconds.

No one rides with their fingers on the brake lever "just in case" and also on a big bike the left lever is the clutch.  If you take a motorcycle safety course (not that anyone does in Thailand) they will teach you to take your fingers off the brake and clutch levers when you're not using them; even when accelerating and changing gears they tell you to bring your fingers back to normal position each time you release the clutch.

When you're driving a car, you don't rest your foot on the brake or clutch pedal, so why would you do it when riding a bike?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jadam said:

No one rides with their fingers on the brake lever "just in case" and also on a big bike the left lever is the clutch.  If you take a motorcycle safety course (not that anyone does in Thailand) they will teach you to take your fingers off the brake and clutch levers when you're not using them; even when accelerating and changing gears they tell you to bring your fingers back to normal position each time you release the clutch.

When you're driving a car, you don't rest your foot on the brake or clutch pedal, so why would you do it when riding a bike?

Ab-so-bloody-lutely!

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:13 PM, brokenbone said:

what are you on about ?

there was zero time to react

Which is exactly what happens when you are overtaking a vehicle that is going half the speed that you are travelling. Slow down as you approach the slower vehicle, pass at no more than 20k faster.

10 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Now  years  ago when I did bike training, 1980's they told us to always cover clutch and brake, and I always  have, but  I  saw a recent training video where they reckoned covering the front  brake at all times led to people actually revving the engine harder in an accident situation and making things worse  by accelerating.

I cover my rear brake, automatic scooter. My reasoning is the rear wheel must always travel in a straight line, whereas braking on a wheel which is simultaneously capable of turning is dangerous.

The right hand is supposed to roll forward on the accelerator before the brake is applied; however, as you say, covering the front brake in a moment of stress can lead to the result you describe.

On 3/26/2019 at 12:18 PM, PremiumLane said:

he was in a different lane, do you slow down when you are in the right lane and anyone in the left slows?

This is a terrible situation. The tow truck driver needs to be held responsible. But There were danger signs for that bike rider. The one that sticks out for me is that the black pickup is indicating right but is in two minds on what lane they want to really be in. That should be enough to have a rider covering the front brake in anticipation of the black pickup doing something stupid.

It might not have stopped the impact, but may have reduced it and given that extra bit of reaction time to maybe avoid it.

Again, I am in no way condoning the the tow truck, but I feel the poor driving by the black pickup driver contributed. The motrcyclist should have been more aware and been anticipating problems for their own sake. But it is what it is now.

Seeing car drivers straddling both lanes with indicators flashing should be a massive warning.

Edited by Farangwithaplan
added

4 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Which is exactly what happens when you are overtaking a vehicle that is going half the speed that you are travelling. Slow down as you approach the slower vehicle, pass at no more than 20k faster.

drivel... it became an accident because the pickup

got hit and pushed into the right lane.

and no, dont slow down if you are overtaking a vehicle,

get it done with

Edited by brokenbone