Car window tinting regulations etc?

jabis

Hi there,

A couple of questions didn't find any info with the search:

Was wondering what %-level of tinting is allowed here (without brown envelopes down in DLT when inspecting). Want to cool down the interiors as much as possible as well as reduce UV passing thru to cabin.

Also if someone know's a quality shop to get aforementioned tinting sheets by meter and/or to install it, in Chiang Mai area, any information is welcome.

Thanks in advance

Tinting regulations don't know of any.

If a new car usually tinting is carried out free.

If your talking 7 year old inspection I pretty sure car screen windows are not included.

Tinting shops someone CM may come on later.

get as dark as you want, but if you want to drive at night don't go so dark you have to open side window to look out, there have been threads on here before where people went into details and brands of tint that stop the rays, but are not that dark

27 minutes ago, steve187 said:

get as dark as you want, but if you want to drive at night don't go so dark you have to open side window to look out, there have been threads on here before where people went into details and brands of tint that stop the rays, but are not that dark

Search produced 0 results on "window tint", "tinting windows" and few dozen other tries from this forum, so couldn't find any - if you have a link to some sure throw at me ????

And yeah I think I'll go very dark on side windows, but leave visibility to front and back to ~15-20% as long as it's reflecting UV and repels heat.

1 hour ago, jabis said:

Search produced 0 results on "window tint", "tinting windows" and few dozen other tries from this forum, so couldn't find any - if you have a link to some sure throw at me ????

And yeah I think I'll go very dark on side windows, but leave visibility to front and back to ~15-20% as long as it's reflecting UV and repels heat.

You will regret going "very dark" on side windows, it's not like you don't look out of them at night, so you will have next to zero side visibility.

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You will regret going "very dark" on side windows, it's not like you don't look out of them at night, so you will have next to zero side visibility.

If you have any suggestions, I'm always open for ideas, so far found only 5%-15% black ones online, or then mirror reflecting which would be unfortunate for fellow drivers, who are a serious risk already on the roads, lol. Looking mostly to dissipate the Sauna-like feeling whenever parking for a short while ???? 

1 hour ago, jabis said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Athaivisa.com+car+window+tint&oq=site%3Athaivisa.com+car+window+tint&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58j69i60.37869j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jabis said:

If you have any suggestions, I'm always open for ideas, so far found only 5%-15% black ones online, or then mirror reflecting which would be unfortunate for fellow drivers, who are a serious risk already on the roads, lol. Looking mostly to dissipate the Sauna-like feeling whenever parking for a short while ???? 

I found a reflective screen (silver) placed over the front windscreen when parked in the sun is better than anything for keeping the interior cooler. Exactly like this pic.

window-covers-for-car-reflective-window-covers-amazing-reflective-window-car-window-covers-for-babies.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jabis said:

Thanks - last thing on my mind was googling the site, as I've usually gotten good results on the page's own search - live and learn I suppose :burp:

google has a way of finding better and more hits. TV search is not that good 

If you ever want to drive it across the border into Malaysia, here are their laws - which make sense here also

The current allowable limit for window tints are at least 70% Visible Light Transmission (VLT) for the windscreen, 50% for front passenger windows and 30% for the rear passenger windows and rear windscreen.Dec 11, 2018

And they have meters at the border - too dark, remove or turn around

• Thanks 1

The old days of you cant see out with a dark tint are now long gone.

Toyo fit black reflective tints on their Tuna that you can see out of perfectly well even at night.

I'm sure that they can also be obtained from most tinting places.

Have stuck in a couple of snaps to give you an idea of same.

Tip don't put it on your W/screen. You could like I have done just put a small tint at the top of W/S but leave it just above your eye level. My lump stays very cool even when left in the sun. Mind you saying that if you leave any lump in the sun all day it will of cause get hot inside.

Sorry haven't a clue what it costs as it was one of the freebees I got when I got the lump.

IMGP0013.JPG

IMGP0015.JPG

Edited by fredob43

fredob43 Why don't you cover the windscreen if you can still see out of the dark tint? Big difference between looking out in daylight than night.

Edited by giddyup

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

fredob43 Why don't you cover the windscreen if you can still see out of the dark tint? Big difference between looking out in daylight than night.

I like to see the best I can so have always put a small tint on the top of screen. It's just my preference.

Yes I know there's a difference between night and day, but I took these snaps this morning so didn't have any choice. But I can assure you the vision at night is perfectly fine.

If you care to look at the snaps again I'm sure you can see how they differ. The front side window is in the dark shade the rear one is looking out at some brighter conditions. But you can see perfectly well out of both.

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I like to see the best I can so have always put a small tint on the top of screen. It's just my preference.

Yes I know there's a difference between night and day, but I took these snaps this morning so didn't have any choice. But I can assure you the vision at night is perfectly fine.

If you care to look at the snaps again I'm sure you can see how they differ. The front side window is in the dark shade the rear one is looking out at some brighter conditions. But you can see perfectly well out of both.

It all depends on the darkness of the tint.

15 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It all depends on the darkness of the tint.

Suggest you look again at the snaps. It's black from the outside almost clear from the inside. Bit like the window you can fix on your house you cant see in but you can look out. As I said the new type are much clearer than the old dark tint's they used to use.

Have at great expense just taken two new snaps outside in the sun. How black/dark do you want the tints to be for Buddha sake. Also another one of inside looking out. So please don't tell me you cant see out.  

IMGP0017.JPG

IMGP0018.JPG

Edited by fredob43

3 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Suggest you look again at the snaps. It's black from the outside almost clear from the inside. Bit like the window you can fix on your house you cant see in but you can look out. As I said the new type are much clearer than the old dark tint's they used to use.

So there is only one level of tint that's used on your Fortune?

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

So there is only one level of tint that's used on your Fortune?

Haven't a clue what tints you can have on a Tuna but these are the ones they fitted on my lump. They work fine for me as the new lot of snap will show. 

21 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Have at great expense just taken two new snaps outside in the sun. How black/dark do you want the tints to be for Buddha sake. Also another one of inside looking out. So please don't tell me you cant see out.

Never said you can't see out, I said there's a big difference between visibility in bright daylight than night. I have a very light tint but I still notice a big difference in visibility between broad daylight and going into an underground car park. You say you don't notice any difference, end of.

Edited by giddyup

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Never said you can't see out, I said there's a big difference between visibility in bright daylight than night. I have a very light tint but I still notice a big difference in visibility between broad daylight and going into an underground car park. You say you don't notice any difference, end of.

I just put a replying to the OP regarding new tints. You can now get.

Snaps of same to prove a point. You don't say how long ago you had your tints fitted but these seem to be the new type. Well of two years ago. Everything improves with time.

Most cars here have windows tinted dark enough to see from the outside whether there is someone in the car or not. Front windscreens with 60% light absorption are not unusual. In Europe these cars would be taken off the road by the police.

When I am cycling I need to be able to see the driver to try to judge whether he/she sees me. Impossible in Thailand.............

• Like 1

So after little price comparison around the airport area, I went with SolarFX, heavy tint just above eyeline (as suggested) but also some anti-glare/anti-UV film for the rest of windscreen and back window, and about 50% on side windows. Got a lot cooler already, and I'm quite happy with the outcome. Took it for a test drive this evening and can see clearly thru all the windows. Also the outlook of the car improved in my eyes a bit ???? Thanks all who took time to answer and give pointers.
 image.png.ed6c0dad9ed8f6c4be51b71b07776d1f.pngimage.png.61334b3aad3f5117f5fce0470d54f51d.png

On 3/30/2019 at 8:29 AM, fredob43 said:

IMGP0017.JPG

IMGP0018.JPG

The best tell is at night - open the window half way and see how much better you can see through the open part. 

Its so bright outside that visibility is clear even through the darkest of tints - its at night time when the visibility can be so detrimentally impacted a tint becomes dangerous.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The best tell is at night - open the window half way and see how much better you can see through the open part. 

Its so bright outside that visibility is clear even through the darkest of tints - its at night time when the visibility can be so detrimentally impacted a tint becomes dangerous.

What part of the tint snaps I have shown can you not see? Suggest you look again you can see if you enlarge it all the veins in the leaves on the bushes, they are some 20 feet away.

I have already said my vision is not marred at any time of the day or night.

AGAIN my new tints are double sided clear from the inside looking out Black from the outside looking in as I think the snaps show.

The old type of tints just blacked out blocked your vision and the sun that's how they worked. The new type I have, don't do that.

I put the post in to help the OP decide what tints he should go for. All I seem to get is peeps replying saying I'm telling porkies. And I cant see out of the windows at night, or in underground car parks. Well I can and perfectly well.

Please go check for yourself of what's now available in the market you might educate yourself. 

I think that the problem here on TVF is that most peeps have fitted the old type of tints and haven't a Clue about the new tints that are now available. 

Edited by fredob43
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

What part of the tint snaps I have shown can you not see? Suggest you look again you can see if you enlarge it all the veins in the leaves on the bushes, they are some 20 feet away.

I have already said my vision is not marred at any time of the day or night.

AGAIN my new tints are double sided clear from the inside looking out Black from the outside looking in as I think the snaps show.

The old type of tints just blacked out blocked your vision and the sun that's how they worked. The new type I have, don't do that.

I put the post in to help the OP decide what tints he should go for. All I seem to get is peeps replying saying I'm telling porkies. And I cant see out of the windows at night, or in underground car parks. Well I can and perfectly well.

Please go check for yourself of what's now available in the market you might educate yourself. 

I think that the problem here on TVF is that most peeps have fitted the old type of tints and haven't a Clue about the new stuff that's now available. 

OP here, Thanks for your input - I went to several places comparing the product to price ratio - and eventually found the optimal solution - and yeah from inside can see very clearly even when it gets dark, I chose a medium priced tint option for the side windows and did notice a slight reduction of visibility, but it was marginal - went thru some cars that had different percentage tint on them, some were very blocking both both ways, some very dark looking outside and clear as day from inside, so at least I get where you're coming from ????

1 minute ago, jabis said:

OP here, Thanks for your input - I went to several places comparing the product to price ratio - and eventually found the optimal solution - and yeah from inside can see very clearly even when it gets dark, I chose a medium priced tint option for the side windows and did notice a slight reduction of visibility, but it was marginal - went thru some cars that had different percentage tint on them, some were very blocking both both ways, some very dark looking outside and clear as day from inside, so at least I get where you're coming from ????

Thank you for your reply. I just tried to tell all about what's now available. At least you have now confirmed same. Hope you enjoy driving your now cooler Lump as I do.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

What part of the tint snaps I have shown can you not see? Suggest you look again you can see

Its basic science - some of the visible light is being cut out.

I have yet to get in a vehicle with tint that doesn't diminish night time vision to some degree.

I've had 3 new cars in the past 7 years - each with one of these 'high end tints'..... I still won't have less than 30% tint (i.e. lets 70% of light through) - which with 3M its CR70.

If it's tinted it's cutting out some of the visible light spectrum otherwise we wouldn't see the tint.

Some are better than others at cutting out UV and solar radiation etc...

The manufacturers tell you they are designed to let visible light through and keep heat out, but they don't let 100% of visible light through.

Thus with 3M's CR70 tint 50% of total solar Energy, 97% of Infrared and 99% of UV light is blocked. 30% of Visible light is also blocked.  

From inside your car open a window half way.

If the background looks exactly the same brightness through the window tint without any darkening then I'll start to believe the manufacturers and your claims. 

So far I have never seen one tint which does not cut out some of the visible light spectrum.

IF you are not full of it you will post a such a photo proving to us unequivocally that the tint on your windows does not cut out any light. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its basic science - some of the visible light is being cut out.

So true.  And it's insidious.  Even when I thought it looked fine, there was definitely some degradation.  And it got worse when I was tired, or when my vision was adjusting from outside to inside the car.

I ended up scraping off the tint on the windshield of my 25+ year old pickup because it reduced my night visibility in conditions with lots of competing light sources.  Not so bad on a country road, but horrible in town with thousands of LED's, billboards and other lights that conflicted with what I wanted to see. 

My next step was going to be cutting windows into the tint on the side windows, but I ended up repatriating before I took on that project.  Probably just as well because even an old beater pickup would have looked ridiculous with partially tinted side windows.

• Haha 1