State of emergency urged as air pollution hits 'disastrous' levels in North

rooster59

1 minute ago, realfunster said:

I must have missed the mushroom thing - seen it referenced a couple of times now - what’s the story ?

"Smoked" mushrooms grow in the fields where burning has occurred and the farmers sell these for profit .

Although these are probably just a by product of the burning , rather thn the sole reason why they do it 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

Thais enjoy the smoke.

How many times -at dusk- you see them lighting a bonfire (in the villages) and sitting nearby 

Good for keeping the mozzies away....????‍♂️

nice get together, like Guy Fawkes night.

1 hour ago, teacherofwoe said:

1. Anyone lighting a forest or field gets 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

2. Anyone in possession of those grim black mushrooms gets 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

3. Any burn forest or field must lie fallow for 10 years.

4. Anyone found growing crops on burnt land within a 10 year period gets 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

5. Any company, including all directors of the board, that utilize burnt land shall have their business assets seized to pay for harm caused, and all parties shall have their personal assets frozen for 10 years and 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

6. Any politician found receiving donations or accepting a lobbying appeal from a company, or representative of a company, which has been prosecuted and found guilty of any of parts 1 to 5, shall have their personal assets seized to pay for harm caused, and gets 20 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

Problem solved if someone up there only had the balls.

...and make the possession or sale of these particular mushrooms illegal and enforce that new statute!  Remove the profit incentive and treat this exactly as a narcotic drug.

• Like 2

Weirdly, I just checked outside here in Tambon Rimtai (A. Mae Rim) and my tester shocked me with a reading of 128.  It was 600 at 9 AM taken from the same location.  Pray all that this will not be a fluke, but indeed the skies looked much cleaner as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teacherofwoe said:

1. Anyone lighting a forest or field gets 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

2. Anyone in possession of those grim black mushrooms gets 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

3. Any burn forest or field must lie fallow for 10 years.

4. Anyone found growing crops on burnt land within a 10 year period gets 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

5. Any company, including all directors of the board, that utilize burnt land shall have their business assets seized to pay for harm caused, and all parties shall have their personal assets frozen for 10 years and 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

6. Any politician found receiving donations or accepting a lobbying appeal from a company, or representative of a company, which has been prosecuted and found guilty of any of parts 1 to 5, shall have their personal assets seized to pay for harm caused, and gets 20 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

Problem solved if someone up there only had the balls.

well meant - but dream on

Nothing can be done until they start banning and enforcing burning

Until they start with this they can double and triple the threat of punishment to no avail

I'm barricated in my airconditioned room in Nimman area, but still can't breath well. Around 11 am we had AQI more then 500, now is progressively going down. I wonder if I'm going to face a cancer in the next few years. Sometimes I miss my <deleted> smoggy european hometown.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thailand said:

I believe sprinkling water haphazardly is the time honored solution from govt and academics so an early Songkran could be the solution. 

It's a drought and farmers can't be allowed to plant rice or other crops because there is no water.
And the PM2.5 is the worst in the world so we must empty our reservoirs by spray water in the air in big cities and large urban areas.   (but the farmers can't plant)  Screw the farmers - city dweller must have cleaner air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, masvil said:

I'm barricated in my airconditioned room in Nimman area, but still can't breath well. Around 11 am we had AQI more then 500, now is progressively going down. I wonder if I'm going to face a cancer in the next few years. Sometimes I miss my <deleted> smoggy european hometown.

/sarcasm on

Perhaps this is a Thai Immigration conspiracy to rid the country of farang!!!

/sarcasm off

• Haha 1