Brexit deadlocked again: British parliament fails to find an alternative

webfact

5 minutes ago, Thairealist said:

Before the people’s referedum in 2016, the remain side kept telling us that in the event of Briexit, it would not be impossible for Brits to visit the E.U without a visa. In fact one T.V. Member mentioned that his own daughter had voted for remain on the strength of this threat. Since that date, some remainers have continued to spread this false information.

Now we are informed by the E.u that this threat will not be carried out,and that British citizens will be able to visit the E.u for up to 90 days without a visa. Could this decision be credited to the on going news that many Brits are not intending to visit E.u. countries, thus damaging those countries tourist economy.

UK citizens will not need to apply for a Schengen Visa like many other nationalities. On February 1, 2019, the European Council said: “EU ambassadors today agreed that, following Brexit, UK citizens coming to the Schengen area for a short stay (90 days in any 180 days) should be granted visa-free travel.”

You still don't get it

Right now we can live love work retire in 28 countries freely.

You people want to take away that right.

Immigration from the EU has fallen like a stone due to Brexiter nastiness. Right now EU immigration is about 16% of the total. Happy?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

If you look at the numbers, it looks like Ireland has overtaken the UK significantly.
UK GDP (nominal) per capita 2017:        39,734
Ireland GDP (nominal) per capita 2017:  70,638
If you take the UK as your base, Ireland has a per capita income that is 77% higher.
Every country has the same framework conditions in the EU.
I do not understand why the UK has slipped so much.
Maybe bad UK politicians and bad UK leadership in the past?
How does it look today?
Who should lead the UK after Brexit?

Country Rank IMF[4] 2017 Rank WB[5] 2016
21px-Flag_of_Albania.svg.png Albania 101 4,582 95 4,147
23px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png Austria 14 47,289 13 44,177
23px-Flag_of_Belarus.svg.png Belarus 88 5,760 88 4,989
23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Belgium 18 43,582 17 41,096
23px-Flag_of_Bulgaria.svg.png Bulgaria 73 8,064 71 7,351
23px-Flag_of_Bosnia_and_Herzegovina.svg. Bosnia and Herzegovina 95 5,148 91 4,709
23px-Flag_of_Croatia.svg.png Croatia 44 13,138 56 12,091
23px-Flag_of_Cyprus.svg.png Cyprus 28 24,976 32 23,324
23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic 37 20,152 35 18,267
20px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png Denmark 9 56,444 8 53,418
23px-Flag_of_Estonia.svg.png Estonia 38 19,840 37 17,575
23px-Flag_of_Europe.svg.png European Union - n/a - n/a
23px-Flag_of_Europe.svg.png Europe - - - 24,969
23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png Finland 15 46,016 14 43,090
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 21 39,869 23 36,855
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany 17 44,549 16 41,936
23px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png Greece 39 18,637 36 18,104
23px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png Hungary 51 15,531 51 12,665
21px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png Iceland 5 70,332 5 59,977
23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Ireland 4 70,638 4 61,607
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy 25 31,984 27 26,939
21px-Flag_of_Kosovo.svg.png Kosovo - n/a - 3,661
23px-Flag_of_Latvia.svg.png Latvia 50 15,547 47 14,118
23px-Flag_of_Liechtenstein.svg.png Liechtenstein - n/a - -
23px-Flag_of_Lithuania.svg.png Lithuania 44 16,730 45 14,880
23px-Flag_of_Luxembourg.svg.png Luxembourg 1 105,803 1 102,831
23px-Flag_of_North_Macedonia.svg.png North Macedonia 92 5,474 86 5,237
23px-Flag_of_Malta.svg.png Malta 31 27,250 28 25,058
23px-Flag_of_Moldova.svg.png Moldova 133 2,279 132 1,900
23px-Flag_of_Montenegro.svg.png Montenegro 77 7,647 77 6,701
23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Netherlands 12 48,345 12 45,295
21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png Norway 3 74,940 3 70,813
23px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png Poland 55 13,822 53 12,372
23px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png Portugal 35 21,161 34 19,813
23px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png Romania 54 12,523 59 9,474
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia 62 10,608 61 8,748
20px-Flag_of_San_Marino.svg.png San Marino - n/a - -
23px-Flag_of_Serbia.svg.png Serbia 87 5,899 84 5,348
23px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.png Slovakia 42 20,508 39 16,496
23px-Flag_of_Slovenia.svg.png Slovenia 34 23,654 32 21,305
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Spain 29 28,358 24 28,523
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden 11 53,217 10 51,600
16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png  Switzerland 2 80,590 2 78,812
23px-Flag_of_Ukraine.svg.png Ukraine 129 2,582 126 2,186
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png United Kingdom 22 39,734 18 39,899

This should be a wake call to our strident but synaptically challenged friends!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Do try and keep up

I give a certain amount of leeway to Brexiters but a little effort in return would be appreciated 

To explain: 

Our contribution to the EU is calculated using a formula with many variables. Historically we have been a net contributor. It's a good thing that richer member countries pay more to help poorer countries, make them more successful and thus increase OUR target market size.

You need a minute to think about that?

Right now, the UK is tending downward economically; certainly behind the curve

I conclude that our net contribution will fall and may go negative.

Pause and think

We may end up a net recipient 

OK now?

Think what a net benefitee we will be when we rejoin!

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Haha 1

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/03/eu-leaders-urged-to-refuse-may-appeal-for-further-brexit-delay

Juncker rejects May appeal for a further short Brexit delay

European commission president says 12 April ‘ultimate deadline’ for MPs to pass deal

Theresa May’s appeal for a short Brexit extension has been rejected by Jean-Claude Juncker, who said that unless the withdrawal deal was passed within nine days the UK would crash out of the EU or have to sign up to a long delay.

Less than 24 hours after May had spelled out her new strategy from Downing Street, the European commission president dismissed her request for an extension of article 50 to 22 May.

Speaking to the European parliament, Juncker instead set an “ultimate deadline” of 12 April for the Commons to approve the withdrawal agreement.

“If it has not done so by then, no further short extension will be possible,” he said. “After 12 April, we risk jeopardising the European parliament elections, and so threaten the functioning of the European Union.”

Juncker said that at that point the UK would face a no-deal Brexit but that the EU would not “kick out” a member state, in a reference to the certain offer of a lengthy extension of article 50.

Juncker said: “Yet I believe that a no deal at midnight on 12 April is now a very likely scenario,. It is not the outcome I want. But it is an outcome for which I have made sure the European Union is ready.

Edited by david555
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, katana said:

Don't know if it's been posted here before, Robin Tilbrook of the English Democrats (never heard of them) has launched a High Court case to prove UK has ALREADY left the EU on March 29th and further Brexit negotiations are pointless.
Robin Tilbrook argues that Britain left the union on March 29 as originally planned, saying the PM's extension was not legally valid.
More here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6879215/English-Democrats-begin-court-battle-prove-UK-left-EU.html

i think Mr Tilbrook needs to keep out of spoonies

4 hours ago, david555 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/03/eu-leaders-urged-to-refuse-may-appeal-for-further-brexit-delay

Juncker rejects May appeal for a further short Brexit delay

European commission president says 12 April ‘ultimate deadline’ for MPs to pass deal

Theresa May’s appeal for a short Brexit extension has been rejected by Jean-Claude Juncker, who said that unless the withdrawal deal was passed within nine days the UK would crash out of the EU or have to sign up to a long delay.

Less than 24 hours after May had spelled out her new strategy from Downing Street, the European commission president dismissed her request for an extension of article 50 to 22 May.

Speaking to the European parliament, Juncker instead set an “ultimate deadline” of 12 April for the Commons to approve the withdrawal agreement.

“If it has not done so by then, no further short extension will be possible,” he said. “After 12 April, we risk jeopardising the European parliament elections, and so threaten the functioning of the European Union.”

Juncker said that at that point the UK would face a no-deal Brexit but that the EU would not “kick out” a member state, in a reference to the certain offer of a lengthy extension of article 50.

Juncker said: “Yet I believe that a no deal at midnight on 12 April is now a very likely scenario,. It is not the outcome I want. But it is an outcome for which I have made sure the European Union is ready.

Thanks for the Information.
Nobody wants a stupid Brexit.
The Uk have some kind of black out current .
I've never before seen the UK's willingness to compromise at such a low Level.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Thanks for the Information.

A extra info out the full article:

The announcement that the EU would refuse to back down after a no-deal pours cold water on Brexiteer hopes that the UK could get a better deal by refusing to pay the unpopular £39bn financial settlement or sign up to the controversial backstop and then negotiate a separate trade agreement.

Edited by david555

7 hours ago, Grouse said:

This should be a wake call to our strident but synaptically challenged friends!

Why? More a challenge to you I would have thought.

"UK GDP (nominal) per capita 2017:        39,734
If you take the UK as your base, Ireland has a per capita income that is 77% higher."

Nominal GDP is the market value  of all final goods and services produced in a country.

Can you explain to me how you can conclude from tomacht8's GDP figures a higher 77% per capita income ? 

Edited by aright

10 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

The 39 billion are undisputed.
It's only the populists who do not understand the signed contracts.

Have a little pity with hardcore Brexiteers here …..:tongue: as it could rise their blood pressure ….second thought ...no problem.... they are anyway so self confident can never happen  ...

But here they are spitting fire ….fun to read , spoken about rhetoric :biggrin: ...Comments page from Torygraph... https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/04/03/jean-claude-juncker-attacks-no-deal-brexit-supporters-urges/#comments

Edited by david555

14 minutes ago, aright said:

Why? More a challenge to you I would have thought.

"UK GDP (nominal) per capita 2017:        39,734
If you take the UK as your base, Ireland has a per capita income that is 77% higher."

Nominal GDP is the market value  of all final goods and services produced in a country.

Can you explain to me how you can conclude from tomacht8's figures a higher 77% per capita income  from the GDP figures quoted?

70.638 *100

___________     =177% - minus 100% for the base = 77,7777%

Edited by tomacht8

4 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

70.638 *100

___________     =177% - minus 100% for the base = 77%

You can't extrapolate per capita income from per capita GDP …..they are 2 different animals. Nominal GDP takes no account of incomes.

These figures are from Wiki

av salary.PNG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aright said:

You can't extrapolate per capita income from per capita GDP …..they are 2 different animals. Nominal GDP takes no account of incomes.

These figures are from Wiki

av salary.PNG

Right.
It is from wiki,
All numbers have the same basis. Or do you want to deny that?

24 minutes ago, david555 said:

Snip ….
Have a little pity with hardcore Brexiteers here….
Snip

Do not worry. I have.
I respect everyone here. Even if they want to shoot themselves in the leg.
OK for me. It Is your life.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

In other words....a long delay or Brexit on the 13th.

...and option A is what it will be.

I think that is a clear line.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Right.
It is from wiki,
All numbers have the same basis. Or do you want to deny that?

I'm not claiming anything other than your figures make no sense. Are you still claiming Irish workers earn on average 77% more than UK workers. If so explain to me how you derived per capita income from GDP. I'm a good listener.

Knowing Wiki I suspect their figures are compared on the same basis but I have no inside knowledge, perhaps, since you are the one questioning their integrity you could look it up and let me know.

10 minutes ago, aright said:

I'm not claiming anything other than your figures make no sense. Are you still claiming Irish workers earn on average 77% more than UK workers. If so explain to me how you derived per capita income from GDP. I'm a good listener.

Knowing Wiki I suspect their figures are compared on the same basis but I have no inside knowledge, perhaps, since you are the one questioning their integrity you could look it up and let me know.

Comparing income on the same basis makes sense.

The distribution of statistical income over the Population can not be read off.
The interesting question is how this income is distributed within a country.
Look at the GINI coefficients.

I hope you do not want to deny that Ireland has overtaken the UK per GDP per inhabitant.

Edited by tomacht8

12 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Comparing income on the same basis makes sense.

The distribution of statistical income over the Population can not be read off.
The interesting question is how this income is distributed within a country.
Look at the GINI coefficients.

I hope you do not want to deny that Ireland has overtaken the UK per GDP per inhabitant.

I certainly wouldn't deny that in raw figure terms the RoI has overtaken the UK but there is a caveat to GDP.

GDP does not take into account currency conversion, relative purchasing power, or the value of public goods such as healthcare, education, defence and transport infrastructure, etc..

The French work fewer hours than the average Brit and even that falsely inflates the GDP figures in the UK relative to France.

When valuing a country or a Union I personally stay away from GDP preferring to use social, political, legislative and economic values and indicators.  

11 hours ago, bomber said:

luckily 90% of eire folks (a figure i read recently) want to remain in the EU,its seems your cultchy cousins will have a long wait.

Please provide that evidence and not from the toilet in one of your bar hangouts. A credible source or are you just making it up. if so you should remove it.:coffee1:

Edited by Laughing Gravy

6 hours ago, Benroon said:

Stunningly poor grammar which whilst undoubtedly pedantic, is relevant when you're criticising someones English skills !

As you have jumped on the bandwagon I suggest you go and read ALL of the posts before commenting.  Asking a question in writing does not need to be done directly.

As I am not writing any research papers I am writing in 'Laymans' style. Luckily I am on a message board and not an educational journals panel, although as with them, there are those who seem to be up their own passage.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-04-03/pound-rallies-commons-passes-bill-requiring-may-request-another-brexit-delay

.....'May is reportedly leaning toward requesting a nine-month delay,...'

BUT !...Quote out same article ….(?)

"even if May does request another extension, the EU could still opt to deny her request, which European Commission Jean Claude Juncker has suggested would be the case).

However, while top officials in Brussels have insisted that the won't grant another extension unless the Commons passes the withdrawal agreement, anonymously sourced reports published earlier in the day on Wednesday said the EU27 was leaning toward an arrangement where they would grant an extension if the UK agrees to certain 'conditions' like participating in the EU Parliamentary elections next month. May is reportedly leaning toward requesting a nine-month delay, as reports published late in the day suggested that her talks with the opposition haven't been going as well as Labour said."

21 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

At last - someone who has seen how the 39 bn has been calculated!

Would you post a link please, so that us non-understanding populists can learn why the 39bn is "undisputed"?

Not really a link , (but a copy paste I did )referring to answer in the H.O.C. from the Gov. lawyer Cox in referring to the 39 Billions...( that moment HOC MP's asked Cox to give clearing (forced ) of the legal bindings they would not open voluntarily ….), May has always danced around specific figure when asked ….. (as usual on hot items …:wink:) but in future happenings true story about it  shall arise on surface undoubtable ….

18:17
Philip Davies, the Tory Brexiter, asks if the UK would have to pay money to the EU if it left without a deal.
Cox says he thinks the UK would have to pay money. A Lords committee said that the UK would not have to pay anything under EU law. But the UK would have obligations under international public law, he says. He says you could try to argue that those obligations did not apply, but he says he thinks that argument would fail. And he says, if the UK did try to avoid paying what it owed, there would be reputational damage. If you leave a club, you do not go without paying your bar bill, he says.

(The chancellor P.Hammond also has always spoken in same way when asked in other Q & A in H.O.C....)

One from PM. T May 

23:30
"What are we buying with £39bn of taxpayers' money?"
Chief Tory Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg asks the PM: "What are we buying with £39bn of taxpayers' money?"
The PM dismisses Rees-Mogg's claim there is no legal obligation on the UK to pay a Brexit bill, saying there are "legal obligations" that would have to be paid "in any circumstances" when the UK leaves the EU.

Edited by david555

8 minutes ago, david555 said:

. If you leave a club, you do not go without paying your bar bill, he says.

I agree with that - but like any Pattaya bar bill, I would check that the bill reflects the service received and I make sure the buggers haven’t padded it.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, david555 said:

Not really a link , (but a copy paste I did )referring to answer in the H.O.C. from the Gov. lawyer Cox in referring to the 39 Billions...( that moment HOC MP's asked Cox to give clearing (forced ) of the legal bindings they would not open voluntarily ….), May has always danced around specific figure when asked ….. (as usual on hot items …:wink:) but in future happenings true story about it  shall arise on surface undoubtable ….

18:17
Philip Davies, the Tory Brexiter, asks if the UK would have to pay money to the EU if it left without a deal.
Cox says he thinks the UK would have to pay money. A Lords committee said that the UK would not have to pay anything under EU law. But the UK would have obligations under international public law, he says. He says you could try to argue that those obligations did not apply, but he says he thinks that argument would fail. And he says, if the UK did try to avoid paying what it owed, there would be reputational damage. If you leave a club, you do not go without paying your bar bill, he says.

(The chancellor P.Hammond also has always spoken in same way when asked in other Q & A in H.O.C....)

One from PM. T May 

23:30
"What are we buying with £39bn of taxpayers' money?"
Chief Tory Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg asks the PM: "What are we buying with £39bn of taxpayers' money?"
The PM dismisses Rees-Mogg's claim there is no legal obligation on the UK to pay a Brexit bill, saying there are "legal obligations" that would have to be paid "in any circumstances" when the UK leaves the EU.

In other words the 39bn is far from "undisputed" - and the 'calculations' have still not been revealed!

And tomatcht8 accuses others of being ignorant of the 'facts'.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

I agree with that - but like any Pattaya bar bill, I would check that the bill reflects the service received and I make sure the buggers haven’t padded it.

But in Pattaya you meet then the Hospital bill after the taxiboys or bouncers stepped in to convince you …. just in Pattaya of course ...:cheesy:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

In other words the 39bn is far from "undisputed" - and the 'calculations' have still not been revealed!

And tomatcht8 accuses others of being ignorant of the 'facts'.....

Exactly … as it is as classified  gov. secret seems…., as T.M. needed to keep peace same time with Brexiteers , Remainers & the E,U.   sums it all up ,especially to her own Conservatives …..:whistling:

Edited by david555

The 39 billion are undisputed.
It's only the populists who do not understand the signed contracts.

The 39 billion is part of the May/Merkel surrender treaty, so is not only disputed but has been rejected by the commons three times so far.
Although I’m not a fan of the Parliament trickery at the moment, in this one issue it has performed its function properly. Unlike many of the previous EU treaties, on this occasion a signature from the PM is not enough to sign away the UK’s rights.
  • Like 1