different strokes for different folks

2 minutes ago, Benroon said:

but that doesn't mean a total uprooting which is high risk if you have a low boredom threshold IMO

This is very true. I am rarely gloomy. More of that shits happens and I deal with it when it does. I would only uproot myself from Thailand under a few clauses. One would be if these Extensions got too crazy and the other is if the pollution in Chiang Mai gets worse. My wife has her elderly parents and a lot of land in Chiang Mai, so moving down to the coast is not easy. I would prefer to live on the coast like I do in Australia. 

Each day can be as exciting and boring as you wish. I have a serious disorder but I make the best of each day. Life is precious and I do not take it for granted.

Your post makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

Everything the OP said is correct 100%.

After 14 yrs I feel the same but dread the logistics of making the move.

I worked Oil n Gas 47 yrs all over the workd plus I hold a 500 Ton Captain license.

My original plan was toretire in the Caribbean and Captain a private yacht or take fishing charters out a few days a week but the last 15 yrs of my career kept me in Australia, China, and Africa and I endsd up here.

I would drag my _____- thru a mile of broken glass to be all set up in the Caribbean simewhere.

To the OP. My sincere Best Wishes on your new adventure, you are making the correct move.

There IS LIFE after Thailand

• Like 1

To the OP - best of luck for the future. Only you can decide what is best for you. I have to say though, with your own home and car 45k per month should  give you a very comfortable life but then again everyone is different. 

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

Everything the OP said is correct 100%.

After 14 yrs I feel the same but dread the logistics of making the move.

I worked Oil n Gas 47 yrs all over the workd plus I hold a 500 Ton Captain license.

My original plan was toretire in the Caribbean and Captain a private yacht or take fishing charters out a few days a week but the last 15 yrs of my career kept me in Australia, China, and Africa and I endsd up here.

I would drag my _____- thru a mile of broken glass to be all set up in the Caribbean simewhere.

To the OP. My sincere Best Wishes on your new adventure, you are making the correct move.

There IS LIFE after Thailand

Thanks, going through the logistics, the dog got the EU chip, bought a cage, doing wife's visa,....should be set by end of June. Can't wait for it. The Caribbean sounds like a place will definitely holiday and check out the possibilities.

6 minutes ago, likewise said:

Thanks, going through the logistics, the dog got the EU chip, bought a cage, doing wife's visa,....should be set by end of June. Can't wait for it. The Caribbean sounds like a place will definitely holiday and check out the possibilities.

It's one helll of a beautiful world out there. Belize and the Caymans always interested me, especially being a diver. Of course, everything depends on what you bring to the table, especially attitude-wise. You seem to have your head on straight, so I have no doubts that you'll be fine wherever you end up.

• Like 1

Thanks, guess most who have been here long enough understand the decision. As I said, I had many many wonderful years here, especially in Krabi, a very nice place to live. But after assessing we are convinced it is time to move on. Can't wait to go buy stuff in shops that actually stock goods instead of the ever returning "mai mee" and/or "mai dai" ;).

1 minute ago, GalaxyMan said:

It's one helll of a beautiful world out there. Belize and the Caymans always interested me, especially being a diver. Of course, everything depends on what you bring to the table, especially attitude-wise. You seem to have your head on straight, so I have no doubts that you'll be fine wherever you end up.

Hehe, diver myself here. Yes, heard great reviews about the Caymans, on the list. 

Just now, likewise said:

Thanks, guess most who have been here long enough understand the decision. As I said, I had many many wonderful years here, especially in Krabi, a very nice place to live. But after assessing we are convinced it is time to move on. Can't wait to go buy stuff in shops that actually stock goods instead of the ever returning "mai mee" and/or "mai dai" ;).

LOL

I don't think I've ever managed more than 7 years anywhere since leaving home as a kid. Just got that wanderlust, I guess. I can imagine that you'd be wanting something different after 20+ years. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Your friend used an agent 20k for a DL and 40k for a visa ?

Even though he had the funds. I find this very hard to believe.

Real costs through a legitimate agent would be about 1900bht for a visa and 1000bhat for the paperwork for a DL.

5 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Why not get yourself a yearly multi entry and take a trip every 90 days if you time it right you can turn it into a 15 month visa. Just a thought. ????

This is what we do. In my first year in Bkk (16 years ago) this advice came from the consulate where I used to apply for a tourist visa. However, to get the ME was easier then. Now they also require to see funds and proof of them. But no need to import money. 

2 hours ago, baansgr said:

Good read, but yet another one leaving. This week two long termers I know are going, that makes seven this year already. All are reasonably financially secure but all say the same, feel unwanted, too much hassle, re entries, TMs 90 days, etc....also have stated dont feel safe as before, worry about driving anywhere because of machete weilding thugs. Like op two are off back to Europe, others SE Asia.

Seven long-term expats leaving so far this year? And that many new expats arriving every day. Honestly, one would expect the expats who have been here longer to be more likely to want to try something new. It is natural. Personally, I intend to spend some quality time in Japan someday, maybe a year or more in Vietnam, and the list goes on. Change is good. But every time I land in Thailand, and start seeing all the familiar sites, I feel good.

• Like 2

yes, I can understand you. I lived for more than 6 months in Spain Andalusia. Torrox costa got many Brits. It's a nice and helping community. No pollution, best healthy food, delicious fruits and good wine or beer.

I"m waiting same as you for my dog's certificate and the 90 days......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

Also I use Transferwise which doesn't actually remit money from the UK to Thailand. 

I have been told that it shows as international if you use Bangkok Bank for some reason. I'm getting a Bangkok Bank account for this purpose. Will check and see. 

5 hours ago, bronzedude said:

If you're not riding the wave of change...you'll soon find yourself under it. I don't think you can find anything where civilized and semi-civilized people have lived since WWII that hasn't had the same aspects of negative change: pollution, crime, traffic, corruption, devalued money. Although for many, Thailand seems to be a bit ahead of the curve. I do agree that it seems that Thailand doesn't really value farangs as much as they did when their economy was in the dumps.

Before, thailand depends upon foreigners ( farangs especially) for their economic inputs. Now because she has the Chinese and Indian middle class tourists visiting, and their population is off the chart) , for a foreseeable  future, there is less dependence upon the farangs. One difference about these two visitors are their preferencial areas to send their money either through guided tours or independently. I would say the mom and pop stores, go go venues, bars and clubs frequented by the farang communities would suffer in the future. The dynamics are changing and if you are in the tourism business , you either adapt to the new challenge or vanish.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jingjock said:

Yes the author is only trying to convince himself, not us, he is limited to few countries he can go. I just had 2.5 months home in New Zealand & Australia, some place the author can not qualify to live, beautiful country. One day I may return to finish the rest of my years. Been here 10 years now Happy Happy

Yes Thailand has her good and bad. You just have to put them in perspective. Despite thailand’s shortcomings, I would still prefer to spend my retirement years there. I could retire comfortably in countries like shanghai China, Korea, japan, Australia and NZ, Singapore and of course my own country Malaysia. But taking into account the nature of Thai people, I still find them most engaging and friendly. They have that element of ‘sanuk and mai pen rai’ in their culture. Of course there are always the underlying current of violence in Thai society but I think if you are careful of your circle of friends and their sphere of influence, life is ok.  

4 hours ago, baansgr said:

Flip side is, you could be attacked for sitting on the beach near a vendor, on the way home are attacked again for no reason other than you turned right, decide to stay at a hotel and next 90 day get fined for not re reporting yourself.....can be good but can be bad also. Enjoy your seafood and tinted glasses.

If you have money and willing to spend them, just get a thailand elite visa.. poof! All dealings with IO vanished in an instant. No 90 days reporting to be done if you fly off somewhere every 90 days.

You can then stay in a better community in a secured upmarket village. Drive a better and safer suv and enjoy all that thailand has to offer..... all good. 

Well buddy, I lived in upscale neighborhoods most of the years here and have the finances, yep got the pick up and a civic ;). It's not a money thing. How about a ten wheeler high on meth hitting your suv? Money is not going to help. Mind you, I love money, it makes life easy and is also what makes it possible for us to move to Europe. Funny you mention Malaysia, I used to be in KL quite often work-related, love the place, used to hang out at the beach club hehehe ;).  I always found it enjoyable to have conversations with Malaysians, obviously a lot more worldly and outspoken than our Thai friends.

Edited by likewise

Yes, I'm not leaving. We save much of our 85-100k every month. However, it's my responsibility to the human community to make wherever I live a better place for everyone. That's <deleted> hard in a dictatorship and I firmly believe we are the new Burma. Still won't leave, just zigzag instead of bigmouth!

19 hours ago, likewise said:

Well buddy, I lived in upscale neighborhoods most of the years here and have the finances, yep got the pick up and a civic ;). It's not a money thing. How about a ten wheeler high on meth hitting your suv? Money is not going to help. Mind you, I love money, it makes life easy and is also what makes it possible for us to move to Europe. Funny you mention Malaysia, I used to be in KL quite often work-related, love the place, used to hang out at the beach club hehehe ;).  I always found it enjoyable to have conversations with Malaysians, obviously a lot more worldly and outspoken than our Thai friends.

Presume you like the beach club hanging out with all the ladyboys....

3 hours ago, manchega said:

the reason you came here 22 years ago is the reason this 53 year old comes here now.

Europe is not what it was, the US remains as big a comedy as choosing to have a coup instead of election.

Probably so, as Thailand is not what it was. 

14 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

The only true constant in the universe is change. You either ride or get ridden.

hence we are moving on, riding the change, you so poetically put. ????

Edited by likewise