The burning truth? There’s no excuse for haze

webfact

Great its actually not a bad idea to pay the farmers for the waste, put aside a bit of budget for it and make it happen might be cheaper then all the damage it does. But combine this with heavy policing when they don't. Then at least they can't say they don't have an alternative. 

• Like 1

I thought the same thing. The government or subsidized private companies should buy and use the crop waste and use it to make clean fertilizer. This along with outlawing the sale of charred crops or crops from burning areas will help.

However none of this will help if it is not committed to and if laws are not enforced and authorities are not held accountable for their effectiveness. There needs to be both strong positive incentives for compliance and dire negative consequences for violations that are clearly outlined and applied consistently for all.

7 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"We have tried threats and bans, police, jailing, soldiers and shooting. Nothing has worked."

Here's a novel idea. Try ENFORCING LAWS. This will not only cut down on the killing haze from burning, but also put a dent in road fatalities, domestic violence, student violence, etc. Using "The government asked for people to be good" doesn't work in a country where hypocricy and token gestures of morality are considered the norm. 

Hmmm, you did not read the article? You have to provide a viable alternative. Enforce the law? Well, I have read this ad nauseam. Unless and until we address the causes ... there will be no change. Gestapo tactics dealing with this cited issue, immigration, radicals having support or the political travails will not stop until the economic causes are dealt with ...

11 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Excellent ideas for a solution which I fully support.

Very good.  How much are you donating to kick start the programs?  Half a million baht?  One million?  Five million? 

I can imagine you full support suddenly dwindles when words are replaced with actions. 

I was first reading this amazed about how a Thai could write such logical and useful article, until..

Michael Shafer is director of the Warm Heart Foundation in Phrao, Chiang Mai.

And that'll be it, Thais will ignore anything from farangs because they are the übermensch possessing an IQ too high to estimate.

Edited by DrTuner

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

Very good.  How much are you donating to kick start the programs?  Half a million baht?  One million?  Five million? 

I can imagine you full support suddenly dwindles when words are replaced with actions. 

I'm donating all the money I've paid in taxes in Thailand, such as the VAT on all the products I've bought in Thailand and the VAT on all the hotel rooms I've booked, and so on. But don't ask me how much that is. I haven't been keeping track of it. ????

14 hours ago, webfact said:

and nothing practical has been done.

I don't agree.

I've seen and posted a picture where mr Prayuth gave the meanest badass looking (western) leafblower to Chian Mai officials and he pulled a face of 'this thing can pack some punch' when he handed it over. Mind you, it was the most expensive professional model from Somchai's hardware shop in the whole north of thailand.

If that's not gonna stop the haze than what is?!

Prayut Chan-O-Cha, center, hands a leaf blower to an official at an army base in Chiang Mai on April 2.

For the no believers, here it is! 

Edited by fruitman
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I don't agree.

I've seen and posted a picture where mr Prayuth gave the meanest badass looking (western) leafblower to Chian Mai officials and he pulled a face of 'this thing can pack some punch' when he handed it over. Mind you, it was the most expensive professional model from Somchai's hardware shop in the whole north of thailand.

If that's not gonna stop the haze than what is?!

Prayut Chan-O-Cha, center, hands a leaf blower to an official at an army base in Chiang Mai on April 2.

For the no believers, here it is! 

And the bloke on the right is thinking Hmmm; i wonder how much i could get for that if i flogged it ?

• Haha 2

One simple idea about the mushrooms. If an area of forest is burnt, send the army, police, prisoners in to pick the mushrooms, money made donated to kickstart corn waste reuse plans. If the mushroom pickers have to compete with the government in burnt forest, no point in burning .......

• Like 1