Congestion charge for cars mulled for central Bangkok

webfact

The bts and mrt are so overcrowded now I stopped using them except in the very early morning or late evening. Continued expansion of the line without a significant increase in carrying capacity has made the system worse than using a taxi. Ridiculously poor planning 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The BTS in Bangkok is too expensive and poor customer service for short train rides. And the MRT, buses, BRT and BTS are all use different cards actually all of them under transportation department. Moreover, annoying ticketing system and no discount for kids ticket. In Singapore the kids below 12 years old get free bus and train rides. Here they are charging kids same fare as adults for single ride. They need to go to Singapore or Hong Kong to get update and how to improve their system. 

16 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Odd how some people expect the infrastructure and facilities of Hong Kong in Thailand without mentioning the costs!

The price of the MTR is relatively cheap in Hong Kong. Excellent value. 

17 hours ago, shady86 said:
17 hours ago, Just Weird said:
Odd how some people expect the infrastructure and facilities of Hong Kong in Thailand without mentioning the costs!

Train rides in HK and Singapore are much cheaper than BTS ride for the equivalent distance. You will understand if you have been there. 4 person travelling from Onut to Siam cost nearly 200B, where else gasoline would be 50B the most, removing car and maintenance costs. Even taxi is below 150B. And most Thais prefer to be air cond the moment they step out of their home. They rather waste more time in car rather than having to sweat and staying inside a crammed train carriage.

Been there many times, I was referring to the general cost of living in Hong Kong not just the fares!

"4 person travelling from Onut to Siam cost nearly 200B, where else gasoline would be 50B the most, removing car and maintenance costs".

So no comparison, then, but what has that got to do with my comment?

"And most Thais prefer to be air cond the moment they step out of their home. They rather waste more time in car rather than having to sweat and staying inside a crammed train carriage".

Have you ever been on the BTS or the MRT?  Possibly the most effective aircon systems anywhere in Thailand.  No one sweats just from being on the BTS or MRT and do you really think that the HK metro doesn't get just as crowded in the rush hours as Bangkok's facilities?  By the way, most people on the BTS and MRT are Thais!

16 hours ago, AJBangkok said:

It’s high I would guess. 

I wasn't asking you that question as you didn't make any claim, I was curious where another poster got his numbers from about the non-payers but as you now mention it why would you guess as it being high without any stats?

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

The price of the MTR is relatively cheap in Hong Kong. Excellent value. 

I was referring to the overall cost of living in Hong Kong that is incurred by those that live there and use the metro etc., not just the fares, but I'm sure that you'll know some way to avoid that cost.

Been there many times, I was referring to the general cost of living in Hong Kong not just the fares!

"4 person travelling from Onut to Siam cost nearly 200B, where else gasoline would be 50B the most, removing car and maintenance costs".

"And most Thais prefer to be air cond the moment they step out of their home. They rather waste more time in car rather than having to sweat and staying inside a crammed train carriage".
Have you ever been on the BTS or the MRT?  Possibly the most effective aircon systems anywhere in Thailand.  No one sweats just from being on the BTS or MRT and do you really think that the HK metro doesn't get just as crowded in the rush hours as Bangkok's facilities?  By the way, most people on the BTS and MRT are Thais!
I'm a daily user for BTS commuting to work and used it to save time. Honestly I won't use it if commuting with car takes the same time. I don't need to risk being hit by bikes on footpaths, deal with idiots blocking carriage doors, ticket gates hitting my balls and smelly people in BTS. And I dont use it at all during weekends.

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

I was referring to the overall cost of living in Hong Kong that is incurred by those that live there and use the metro etc., not just the fares, but I'm sure that you'll know some way to avoid that cost.

The clue was in the word ‘relatively’. 

2 minutes ago, shady86 said:
15 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I'm a daily user for BTS commuting to work and used it to save time. Honestly I won't use it if commuting with car takes the same time. I don't need to risk being hit by bikes on footpaths, deal with idiots blocking carriage doors, ticket gates hitting my balls and smelly people in BTS. And I dont use it at all during weekends.

What's any of that got to do with my comment?

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

I’ve sweated when on the MRT in rush hour. Lots of people creates lots of heat. In fact, I’ve seen many people sweating on the MRT from the body heat created during rush hour. 

You saying no one sweats just from being on the MRT is a flat out lie. 

10 hours ago, rkidlad said:
On 4/5/2019 at 3:39 PM, Just Weird said:

What are the stats you have on the non-payment of traffic fines?

Would you like this member to post a link to these stats? I can provide a link to an article about people not paying their traffic fines here. It took me 5 seconds to find it.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30356768

I haven't paid 3 traffic fines from last year. I renewed my car tax last month - so the fines are not yet linked to the tax renewal at the DLT. 

Thus, I imagine (but of course don't know for sure) that my behavior is not an isolated example, I very much suspect I am in the Majority. 

Under similar circumstances how can anyone expect people to pay a congestion charge?

9 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Quite a daft comment - no one just 'magically' teleports into the lovely air-conditioned environment of an MRT / BTS carriage. 

The effectiveness of the AC on the MRT and BTS is irrelevant if you're already too hot and sweating just getting to the station. 

On 4/5/2019 at 7:44 PM, richard_smith237 said:

however, imagine the additional gridlock caused by the toll gates entering the city.

We already have that fastlane computerchip behind the windscreen for years, works perfect on the tollways...are you from forest?

59 minutes ago, fruitman said:

We already have that fastlane computerchip behind the windscreen for years, works perfect on the tollways...are you from forest?

That 'fast-lane computer-chip' is called the EasyPass or M Pass (depending on where you are driving).

You've never had to slow down to a virtual stop while going through the EasyPass gates?

You've never had to queue behind other cars passing the EasyPass gates?

You've never had to queue behind the car who's pass isn't working, isn't charged up enough, or someone who is in the easy pass lane without a pass?

I'd have to ask you if you are from the forest.... or if you have ever used EasyPass. Its a flawed system and is the cause of a great deal of traffic Jams both entering and exiting Bangkok's expressways.

Other nations have better systems... i.e. passes where you can drive through at normal driving speed and the pass registers...  If you could do that in Thailand, it would be a little better, but what about the scores of people who would not get a pass or ever charge up their pass? You are unable to imagine the chaos and jams caused by these folk?

The best system would be a numberplate recognition system and direct charging - however, as has already been discussed, no one would pay their bill. The system needs to mature a great deal before this idea can be effective. 

On 4/5/2019 at 10:58 AM, FarangryBirds said:

I’d be on board for this, car ownership has rocketed and all this daily gridlock isn’t helping the smog situation.

But the money raised must, *must* be used as said, to improve public transportation and not wasted on new watches for the top brass.

BTS and MRT don’t have enough rolling stock for rush hour and too many of those black smoke pumping buses are about 30 years past their best.

Those submarines could buy a lot of subway cars... oh well

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That 'fast-lane computer-chip' is called the EasyPass or M Pass (depending on where you are driving).

You've never had to slow down to a virtual stop while going through the EasyPass gates?

You've never had to queue behind other cars passing the EasyPass gates?

You've never had to queue behind the car who's pass isn't working, isn't charged up enough, or someone who is in the easy pass lane without a pass?

I'd have to ask you if you are from the forest.... or if you have ever used EasyPass. Its a flawed system and is the cause of a great deal of traffic Jams both entering and exiting Bangkok's expressways.

Other nations have better systems... i.e. passes where you can drive through at normal driving speed and the pass registers...  If you could do that in Thailand, it would be a little better, but what about the scores of people who would not get a pass or ever charge up their pass? You are unable to imagine the chaos and jams caused by these folk?

The best system would be a numberplate recognition system and direct charging - however, as has already been discussed, no one would pay their bill. The system needs to mature a great deal before this idea can be effective. 

Yes sometimes there's a selfish idiot who doesn't understand the fast lane and has no chip for it...for the rest it works great! 

Ones who block the fast lanes should get punished....

On 4/5/2019 at 7:54 PM, richard_smith237 said:

My Wife and I too had received 3 fines in the post for traffic violations caught on camera (speeding on the express way and crossing a fixed white line) over the past 12 months (car tax year).

We renewed our Tax last month.... no mention of the fines we have not yet paid !!!! 

That said - It would be great to see a reduction in vehicles on Bangkoks streets, combined with better traffic light programming for flow etc...  

Oooh look at you Richard. Why didn't you pay?

I paid my fine my fine for crossing a white line on Chaeng Wattana...

Get off your pulpit mate.

On 4/6/2019 at 12:55 AM, richard_smith237 said:

the school van (which by the way costs about 83,200 baht per year for Zone 1C (which is where we are to Bkk Patana)

Yikes, that's 10x what I pay for school van, and more than I pay for tuition!  Bangkok prices are ridiculous and you (and your kids) have to breathe filthy air.  I would never in my life choose to live there.

12 minutes ago, Jadam said:

Yikes, that's 10x what I pay for school van, and more than I pay for tuition!  Bangkok prices are ridiculous and you (and your kids) have to breathe filthy air.  I would never in my life choose to live there.

The price of a Top international school has to be swallowed... it has to be Bangkok, no where else in the county has schools to compete with the standard of education in the UK.

The AQI in Bangkok is usually only poor for a week or so - this year its been exceptionally poor for what I'd guess is a total of 4 weeks. Not good enough, but better than Chiang Mai. 

On 4/7/2019 at 3:56 PM, james.d said:
On 4/5/2019 at 7:54 PM, richard_smith237 said:

My Wife and I too had received 3 fines in the post for traffic violations caught on camera (speeding on the express way and crossing a fixed white line) over the past 12 months (car tax year).

We renewed our Tax last month.... no mention of the fines we have not yet paid !!!! 

That said - It would be great to see a reduction in vehicles on Bangkoks streets, combined with better traffic light programming for flow etc...  

Oooh look at you Richard. Why didn't you pay?

I paid my fine my fine for crossing a white line on Chaeng Wattana...

Get off your pulpit mate.

You crossed a white line?? thats terrible driving, you should be banned !!! - Now, thats me on a Pulpit !!!!!... 

Why didn't we pay?...  Firstly, I was interested to see if we had to. So many people were mentioning how the fines are linked to our Car Tax it was a good opportunity to wait and see. 

When paying our insurance and renewing tax at the same time the insurance company never mentioned anything of said fines (the insurance company renewed the car tax - compulsory and 1st class)...

Maybe the fines are still in the system.... maybe the systems are not linked at all. I wonder what the statute of limitations is on such fines, or if there is one. 

Archived