US lawyers in Bangkok: Big Joke transfer won't change immigration policy for retirees one bit

webfact

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Why did this lawyer get a full page write up on his opinion?

When has a private lawyer ever gotten a full page write up on Thai Visa? No one has ever that I remember.......

Who decided his opinion needs to be punished?

And Why?

Folks this article would not have been published if there were serious cracks appearing in the kick the farang out of Thailand movement......Some hardliner is scared or this propaganda would not have been published....

Just about every thing Mr lawyer said will not happen could very well happen.....

He just states his opinion that it is not "logical to assume that the transfer will change these regulations." Fine. He is entitled to his opinion. But he does not bother to explain how he arrived at his conclusion. 

1 hour ago, MadMuhammad said:

You’re retired. Don’t face enough time on your hands to spare a few ours 4 times a year? 

Are you saying this his time is less valuable because he is retired?  

1 hour ago, JTXR said:

He said:

"We don't know exactly what's going on and how this will impact things. (But) while I think there may be changes within the immigration apparatus especially on a paradigm level and maybe policy level (in the future) some things in respect to retirement visa police remain immutable (unchanging)". 

"....changes within the immigration apparatus especially on a paradigm level..." !?!?!

Golly.  Aren't we educated?  I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole any lawyer who needs to talk like that.

Word salad! :cheesy:

2 hours ago, Cadbury said:

This Darts Bar raid in Pattaya could be one of the last poster pin ups of Big Joke Lt-Gen Surachate and could well be a collector's item for anyone fortunate enough to get hold of it.

He is looking very pensive so maybe he has some premonition of impending doom.

Big Joke Darts Bar.jpg

Bad guys out romance scammers in????

20 minutes ago, nputman said:

As far as other countries ?. 

The Austrian Consulate in Pattaya which, next to their citizens, is also dealing with Belgians, Dutch, French, German citizens has changed the lay out of their L.o.I..

They put now :

" it is hereby certified". 

They still do the same control as before checking if the amounts paid by the Office of Pensions appeared on a bank account in homeland. 

It seems they are convinced that there are more honest people than not, and that the honest ones shouldn't be the dupe of the wrongdoers. 

Besides one should be very "cool" to go to the Consulate in person with fake documents ( the risk to be caught) when for +/- 15000 Thb everything can be fixed by an agent. 

Also not sure what Immigration can do, legally, to an Embassy/Consulate when eventually they should find out that the documents, "certified" by an Embassy/Consulate, appear to be falsified. 

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Also not sure what Immigration can do, legally, to an Embassy/Consulate when eventually they should find out that the documents, "certified" by an Embassy/Consulate, appear to be falsified. 

They could refuse to accept certifications of this Embassy in future.

Think of all the extra work imposed on the immigration officers by effectively doubling all visits for extensions to immigration offices virtually overnight.  Already the waiting lines take a lot of Chaeng Wattana government complex immense building space...  Don't you feel sorry?

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

The Austrian Consulate in Pattaya which, next to their citizens, is also dealing with Belgians, Dutch, French, German citizens has changed the lay out of their L.o.I..

They put now :

" it is hereby certified". 

They still do the same control as before checking if the amounts paid by the Office of Pensions appeared on a bank account in homeland. 

It seems they are convinced that there are more honest people than not, and that the honest ones shouldn't be the dupe of the wrongdoers. 

Besides one should be very "cool" to go to the Consulate in person with fake documents ( the risk to be caught) when for +/- 15000 Thb everything can be fixed by an agent. 

In Americas case it would be very simple to sign a waiver and allow them access to SSA funds in that context but they will not. 

The original notification from the consulate stated that along with the Thai reason for suspending they clearly stated that way to many complaints and anger came from those that were getting affidavits. 

Anyone stupid enough to falsely claim income on a affidavit deserve to get what will happen. 

Thing that is bad that honest "good" people are bearing the brunt of these decisions from both sides. 

6 minutes ago, nputman said:

In Americas case it would be very simple to sign a waiver and allow them access to SSA funds in that context but they will not. 

The original notification from the consulate stated that along with the Thai reason for suspending they clearly stated that way to many complaints and anger came from those that were getting affidavits. 

Anyone stupid enough to falsely claim income on a affidavit deserve to get what will happen. 

Thing that is bad that honest "good" people are bearing the brunt of these decisions from both sides. 

Yes but obviously there were many people certifying to stuff they did not have. Otherwise there would be no problem. The Dutch embassy always checked things and so nothing changed there.

I don't understand why the other embassies can't just check that way they protect the good ones and the bad ones are out. It would require some changes for embassies but it could be done.

So instead of blaming the Thais blame your own embassy for not doing what needs to be done. 

I know real impopulair post from me but if embassies would check the problem would go away. Why should it be easy for some just swearing while others really had to prove it.

14 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

They could do nothing- however, they could report  fraudulent documents and the individual  to the US FBI Office at the US Embassy or the Australian Federal Police rep at the Australian Embassy or  Thai Imm could  file charges on their own.

There was a report on this forum that the Danish Embassy  still provided the letter in certain circumstances  but I have no idea if that is correct.

If the Embassies wanted to really help their citizens they could simply reinstate the letter- ask their applicants to show proof and have them swear an Oath under penalty of perjury it is correct.

Thai Immigration would readily accept it- especially in light of the current change of leadership.

Why the transfer to an inactive post was done- will never be revealed and IMHO I doubt there will be any actual change in the Police Order but there may be some 'wiggle room'  seep into the system at some point.

1 minute ago, Thaidream said:

There was a report on this forum that the Danish Embassy  still provided the letter in certain circumstances  but I have no idea if that is correct.

Yes, somewhere on a topic here, there is a Dane confirming that his Embassy is again issuing a L.o.I., providing the incomes are from a State pension. 

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Logic does not apply to anything over there.  One immigration official says one thing, others do another thing.  One person's policy varies from administration to administration, from coup to coup.

the Sychelles look pretty nice

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes but obviously there were many people certifying to stuff they did not have. Otherwise there would be no problem. The Dutch embassy always checked things and so nothing changed there.

I don't understand why the other embassies can't just check that way they protect the good ones and the bad ones are out. It would require some changes for embassies but it could be done.

So instead of blaming the Thais blame your own embassy for not doing what needs to be done. 

I know real impopulair post from me but if embassies would check the problem would go away. Why should it be easy for some just swearing while others really had to prove it.

Exactly as I would have had no issues about signing a waiver at the US consulate allowing them access to may SSA file. 

Both sides share a bit of blame in this issue. 

The "method" of proof of income change is the most damaging. Many were getting income into Thailand in a legal method but now not acceptable. Applied retroactively. 

Either way these decisions need to be lived with even in the worse situations. 

1 hour ago, nputman said:

Only thing that is sure is the US will not change the affidavit decision. 

As far as other countries ?. 

did the Thai Immigration request verification from other embassies besides the four mentioned previously?  EU countries, S. American embassies, Russia for example.  i have a friend from Germany and he say's it business as usual for him.  he just shows his pension doc.

1 minute ago, malibukid said:

did the Thai Immigration request verification from other embassies besides the four mentioned previously?  EU countries, S. American embassies, Russia for example.  i have a friend from Germany and he say's it business as usual for him.  he just shows his pension doc.

Me thinks there is much more to it than is published. 

Huh.  It's just one mans opinion, doesnt matter until we see what new changes the remain of this year will bring.

At one point, immigration and those higher up will realize that loss of Expats lead to less new houses built all over the country, less new vehicles bought cash, less employees in factories, and transport and tourist industry.

At one point, they will see it, and realize the value of expats.

That was my 5 minute day dream.

One must have a Plan B for alternative relocation prepared these days.

The good and easy days are def over.

7 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Huh.  It's just one mans opinion, doesnt matter until we see what new changes the remain of this year will bring.

At one point, immigration and those higher up will realize that loss of Expats lead to less new houses built all over the country, less new vehicles bought cash, less employees in factories, and transport and tourist industry.

At one point, they will see it, and realize the value of expats.

That was my 5 minute day dream.

One must have a Plan B for alternative relocation prepared these days.

The good and easy days are def over.

can anyone recommend the Sychelles?

This law firm is far better informed than the dozens of ex-pats celebrating on Thai Visa over the last few days.

I'm fairly certain, from contacts in Chiang Mai, that I know why the transfer took place and it had nothing to do with Big Jokes immigration policies. Perhaps I'm biased because the changes he made in Chiang Mai were generally to the advantage of established foreign residents.

It is difficult for "Uniforms and "Suits" to remain silent at times, particularly at the outset of radical events. They seem to enjoy seeing their words and images splashed across the media like so much confetti at a parade, oblivious that they may be incorrect and have to backpedal and declare they were misquoted.

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

Exactly, why should there be any concerns for thousands of elderly expats from all over the world who have been pouring money in to the Thai economy for years.

Why should there be. Thailand owes you nothing. 

Sad, but when you leave a place from where you have rights embodied in the rule of law to a place where you don't, you take your chances.

4 hours ago, whatwasithinking said:

It's a joke anyway. At least for Pattaya area as i recently after March had to renew my retirement visa & did it the legit way which is quite an effort & almost a day event by the time you get the bank document than wait the hours at Jomtien.  Not to mention now need to front to Jomtien again in June to show i still have the money in my bank whilst i have friends who spend an extra 10k with business as usual. Money goes in & out of their account than collect their passport a few days later from the agent with no need to front Jomtien a few months later to prove the money again .How The F does that work out without starting with a capital C . I;m thinking next year i might save all the headache & just do it the easy way myself.

By the way i would be interested to know if i were out of the country & couldn't get to Jomtien on the date in June to show them my 800k plus is still in the bank what would happen

Did they ask you to go show your balance on a certain date? Will it take as long as an extension to process? Will you need another letter from the bank?  As for today, nobody has been able to explain to me how they will implement the new rules regarding the 800k, not even CM immigration. 

3 minutes ago, TonyR101 said:

This law firm is far better informed than the dozens of ex-pats celebrating on Thai Visa over the last few days.

I'm fairly certain, from contacts in Chiang Mai, that I know why the transfer took place and it had nothing to do with Big Jokes immigration policies. Perhaps I'm biased because the changes he made in Chiang Mai were generally to the advantage of established foreign residents.

In other words you have rumours personally delivered instead of reading them and are speculating.

Like the dude in the suit

Archived