Why Do Thai Sales People Tell Me "Farang Cannot Buy Car"?

What a bunch of lazy bums..."NO", just to avoid the extra paperwork...they should send Big Joke now, who seems to have extra time,  to handle these lazy salesmen !

This article somewhat explains the maze for farangs with cars, purchase, loan, tax etc. etc.

https://www.expatden.com/thailand/buy-car-in-thailand/

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Naam said:

your girlfriend is doing the right thing but 20-30 seconds is not long enough to dry out the evaporator which prevents a built-up of potentially dangerous fungus. not everything in Thailand is absurd!

I don't do that on the Roll's....????

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, david555 said:

They just want to grant the Thai wife at least half of the car in assets possession , Thai rak Thai solidarity :wink:

Honda leasing never once mentioned about putting out new honda in her name (even though she has a higher income than me), though she was used as my guarantor despite putting down 50% on the car. I think some dealers just can't be bothered or don't want to deal with the paperwork, which is just copies of my wife's information and also my passport, WP copies, etc. It's not much actually. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, transam said:

To me it's just the norm in LOS, nobody seems to know what they are doing...

Even stuff that is in black and white regarding gov things will vary from district to district yet it is written in black and white for staff to follow....

If this place was where I come from there would be a lot of folk sent on the dole...????

That's the attraction. 

Just now, vinniekintana said:

Maybe you had a work permit.

Out here in the provinces ,it's work permit or marriage to a thai that can do the trick

Ditto for driver's license

Obviously in some farang-heavy places officials might bend the rules a little...or more than a little    

I had nothing. Same for D/L - now towards the end of my third one.

I have been here since age 52 on a retirement extension.

I bought in Buriram.

Interestingly, not being married impacts on getting a yellow book (and therefore ID card) - the head of the Tessaban doesn't like Farangs and will only consider house registration if married.

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/8/2019 at 9:53 PM, samsensam said:

it is fairly common for thais to take pretty much anything told to them by family, friends, work colleagues, etc., however absurd, as gospel truth.

annoyingly, after stopping driving but before switching off her car engine my gf turns the aircon fans on full for 20-30 seconds. why do you do that? i asked, because my friend told me i should, was the reply. but why? i asked, i dont know she replied. but she still does it.

I'm just laughing to myself. I am constantly asking my other half...."Who told you that, was if some old Lady with grey hair and no teeth back in your home village" (as I talk in the manner of a witch).

Stuff about everything under the sun from air-cons to computers.    It took about 15 yrs. but now she understands my sarcaism.

Edited by dotpoom
  • Haha 1