'Very ill' Brit tourist, 25, stranded in Thai hospital as family appeal for help

webfact

Lastest update from gofundme page

I have been advised by many people that there will be some of us in this world who will never have any shred of humanity or decency and will feel the need to comment. This is not helpful however everyone is entitled to an opinion. Thank you again to everyone who has helped so far, and just to be clear, Rebekah is in Thailand on a non visitor visa therefore not considered a tourist with regard to insurance as she was due to start work this week. She only has insurance for travelling.
Thanks James.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, thaikahuna said:

I'm sorry the lady is ill but I find it hard to have any sympathy for those who travel with no travel/health care package. 

Agreed, all concern for her, but what makes anyone think they can travel without health insurance>>

Unless the claim has been rejected because she got a tattoo or something else of contributing factors and that caused the infection *own negligence) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

People forget that over in my home country..the nhs loses fortunes annually to " healthcare " tourists

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The NHS also loses billons on clipboard carriers, crap IT systems that dont work, bend drugs deals with big pharma, staff absenteeism, needless cosmetic surgery and compensation for killing, crippling and maiming people with poor treatment.

But it's ok, it's free, right?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

I repeat..press coverage like this WILL encourage the Thai Govt to introduce

you spamming this crap might give someone an idea perhaps - that seems to be your sinister intention - be careful what you wish for, when you are 67+ years of age medical insurance might not be an option for most (including you) or be prohibitively expensive - maybe you are getting stung already and have a chip on your shoulder and feel bitter 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bonobojt said:

Probably got a nasty Parasite infection maybe, or bacterial, or both, it happens... no insurance though is stupid, best to be safe than sorry.

travel insurance is time limited, people on extended holidays (6+ months) may have started their trip with insurance but it expired after 3/6 months

I'd very interested to know what exactly is wrong with her - I think hospitals here are very quick to declare people unfit to travel while the money is rolling in - do they put health or money first ? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

you spamming this crap might give someone an idea perhaps - that seems to be your sinister intention - be careful what you wish for, when you are 67+ years of age medical insurance might not be an option for most (including you) or be prohibitively expensive - maybe you are getting stung already and have a chip on your shoulder and feel bitter 

The Thai authorities are already making moves to ensure tourists have some kind of cover. 

If a pensioner decides to live where they can’t get cover then that’s their option and not a chance many are prepared to risk.

Its every week now this occurs in Thailand, no tourist or expat can claim ignorance, it’s all over the media in Thailand and the west.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Rebekah is in Thailand on a non visitor visa therefore not considered a tourist with regard to insurance as she was due to start work this week.

Show me the work permit! Is she a teacher? 

Edited by balo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

What's that?

Clearly he means non-immigrant visa.

15 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Then why did she not purchase long term travel/health care insurance before leaving to go on her travels??
I am not being vindictive..but it is common sense to ' cover yourself " insurance wise before setting off.

Long term or not doesn't matter as apparently she is considered not a tourist/traveler but working due to her visa status. Maybe she would have gotten health insurance through employer, maybe not, but before start that would be a non go anyway.

• Like 1

Wrong again..Thai Govt officials from various dept's INCLUDING ROYAL THAI IMMIGRATION POLICE began chatting to h/care ins co's few months ago.
I've got quite adequate h/care insurance, but thanks for your kind concern.

Private hospitals..MONEY NO 1

travel insurance is time limited, people on extended holidays (6+ months) may have started their trip with insurance but it expired after 3/6 months

I'd very interested to know what exactly is wrong with her - I think hospitals here are very quick to declare people unfit to travel while the money is rolling in - do they put health or money first ? 

24 minutes ago, twocatsmac said:

The Thai authorities are already making moves to ensure tourists have some kind of cover. 

If a pensioner decides to live where they can’t get cover then that’s their option and not a chance many are prepared to risk.

Its every week now this occurs in Thailand, no tourist or expat can claim ignorance, it’s all over the media in Thailand and the west.

tourists on holiday and retirees living here are two vastly different things

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, smedly said:

tourists on holiday and retirees living here are two vastly different things

I beg to differ. Many retirees are residing here on tourist visas and many young “tourists” are residing here on any visa they can acquire.

Edited by twocatsmac
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1