Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

St Kilda star midfielder Jack Steven to step away and focus on mental health and wellbeing

An AFL star has been labelled “brave” after informing his teammates he’d be stepping away to deal with an ongoing mental health battle.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/st-kilda-star-midfielder-jack-steven-to-step-away-and-focus-on-mental-health-and-wellbeing/news-story/35e373e80c089aa59cee997c29a8f228

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Cardinal Pell..........aparently wore the Tiger jumper in 1959 as a ruckman but Jack Dyer was way to good............

Jack was very careful not to drop the soap when George was loitering in the shower block.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here are some of the tipsters from the HS having a crack at some predictions for this year.

I see Kingy has WC sneaking into the 8 whilst showing a lot of love for Melbourne.
Reckons they will finish on top, win the GF and Tom McDonald to win the Coleman medal:shock1:

Interestingly, MM doesn't have Melbourne in the 8.

Farmerjo will happy with a lot tipping Norf for the 8.
Studs will also be happy as there is a lot of love for Richmond.

Seems to be a lot of love for Sam Walsh as well.

Mark Robinson

BIG CALL

“Gillon McLachlan departs at season’s end, Brendon Gale to be the AFL’s next CEO.”
Top 8
Collingwood
Richmond
Melbourne
West Coast
Essendon
Adelaide
GWS
North Melbourne

Premier: Collingwood 
Wooden Spoon: Gold Coast 
Brownlow: Nat Fyfe 
Coleman: Josh Kennedy (WC) 

Rising Star: Izak Rankine 

David King

BIG CALL
“The new kick-in rule sends scoring spiralling down — the complete reverse of what was desired.”

Top 8
Melbourne
Richmond
Adelaide
Essendon
Collingwood
North Melbourne
Geelong
West Coast

Premier: Melbourne
Brownlow: Nat Fyfe
Coleman: Tom McDonald
Rising Star: Sam Walsh 

Mick Malthouse

BIG CALL
“Expect Collingwood to scoop most of the awards this season .”

Top 8
Collingwood
West Coast
Richmond
Essendon
North Melbourne
GWS
Adelaide
Geelong

Brownlow: Brodie Grundy

Mick McGuane

BIG CALL
“With the new kick-in rule we will see a more “fold back” defensive set-up with a mindset of midfield coverage.”

Top 8
West Coast
Richmond
Collingwood
Melbourne
GWS
Essendon
Sydney
Geelong

Brownlow: Josh Kelly

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 6:40 AM, Thechook said:

St Kilda star midfielder Jack Steven to step away and focus on mental health and wellbeing

An AFL star has been labelled “brave” after informing his teammates he’d be stepping away to deal with an ongoing mental health battle.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/st-kilda-star-midfielder-jack-steven-to-step-away-and-focus-on-mental-health-and-wellbeing/news-story/35e373e80c089aa59cee997c29a8f228

Oh no he's my favourite.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Sudds is quite

Praying requires silence.

Praying for a Tigers first win v Carlton. Waiting patiently.

Not much to say about Pell. The authorities seem to be dealing with it. 

Saw something distracting on news worth talking about though.

An aggressor who knocked a biker down with video evidence was allowed to carry on with his aggressive ways.

Authorities across the board seem to have their brain dead days.

Thankfully AFL mostly under solid control.

Let's see how the new rule changes go, but I prefer the historic game left alone. 

How many changes has the game of tennis gone through?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

Praying for a Tigers first win v Carlton.

If you are praying to the same deity as I am for a  Carlton win v Richmond, there may be a conflict of interest here.

Years ago there was an airline crash in South America where all on board were killed.   Some woman was on TV later saying that she got stuck in a traffic jam and missed the flight, and that God had intervened to save her.

By the same logic, it must have been God who sent all crew and passengers on the doomed aircraft to their deaths.    HE works in mysterious ways.

Dear oh dear, I've done it again, speaking up against Blind Faith and religious hypocrisy.     I think I WILL go hide under my bed for the rest of the day..........just to keep out of harm's way.

P.S.   Welcome to the footy sub-forum Wendy.   Nice to hear a lady's point of view.

sdfe-1459853846-800.jpg

Edited by Radar501
  • Like 2

There must be more than one God. One for each and every living thing 

I too am amazed when I see Djokovic thank God after a win. 

Thanking God on behalf of all the good things in the world, not just my own greedy desires. That's praying to the devil.

Good luck to Carlton though.

The Sheperaton game was a scrappy affair.....Pruss? well at 23 we all know it takes most tall timber for ever to mature into something good...cant see him leading the charge in a twin prong ruck charge to a premiership....A hot day in the Bush..Shep is a fruit growing town....tomtato territory, Tigers Nash looking good....the rest of both teams turning in a quarter or two considering it was hovering in the high 30's.

Pick 27 Sparrow is his name came on in the second half...I liked the look of him, WILL find it difficult to break into out midfield this year but for sure a future player....couple of others including no idea who he is or his name played in defence then rucked part of second half...way more encouraging that that North reject...Still Pruss had good fantasy numbers when North did let him play...

A win to the Tigers just....Dees played first and last quarters Tigers 2cd and 3rd...noithing to get excited about Sudds....its only first weekend of March...did you catch the bikini clad teen behind the goals?

• Like 1

Herald Sun chief football writer Mark Robinson’s likes and dislikes for every club ahead of 2019

ADELAIDE

WHAT I LIKE

Plenty. The co-captain strategy received wide support and it is a significant change in light of the disappointment of 2018. Keep Tex Walker, add Rory Sloane and there’s a newness about the leadership, a kind of necessary step forward while maintaining and respecting the essence of the incumbent. On paper, the Crows appear strong in the three areas of the ground and the strategy under Don Pyke is strong.

Reckon the likes of Wayne Milera, Hugh Greenwood (a serious footballer), Tom Doedee and Jordan Gallucci will continue to improve, Brodie Smith (two games) will be fitter, and so will Sloane. The Crows won three of four coming home last year, which is a plus, but only time will tell if this group has restored its trust across the board. Reckon they will have.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

It can’t get any worse than what happened in 2018.

The camp, the injuries, the doubts, the injuries, the denials, the injuries and, ultimately, the defeats consigned the Crows to 12th, winning 12 games and losing 10. The club had its soul scrutinised, as well as the players questioned, which probably did their heads in. Collectively, they will be competitive, but questions remain.

Can Eddie Betts respond after a so-so season by his standards? Can Walker stay on the park (26 goals from 14 games)? Is Sam Jacobs almost cooked? The Crows brought in mostly kids, so there’s confidence the existing group can bounce back.

VERDICT

Top six

BRISBANE LIONS

WHAT I LIKE

It would appear it’s all going to plan, albeit slowly. In the 2016 season, the Lions gave away an average of 131 points and kicked an average of 80 points. In Chris Fagan’s first two years, it was 115-85 and last year 93-83.

That’s an eight-goal improvement in defence. The scoring, however, is stagnating. That’s the next area of improvement. If they find goalkickers and keep it longer in their half, the Lions should win more games.

Last year, they found a defender in Darcy Gardiner. He, Harris Andrews and Luke Hodge will form the defence. Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage and Alex Witherden were top 10 B&F finishers in 2018 and will get better. Of them, Berry looks real smart. They lost Dayne Beams in the most curious fashion and gained Lachie Neale. They will miss Beams’ goals, but Charlie Cameron is back from injury, so there’s a huge plus. And clearly Cam Rayner will be better again.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

It’s not so much a dislike, but it’s reality: How long do we keep saying the Lions are building before they start beating teams.

Have won five, five, three and four games in the past four seasons, two of those seasons under Fagan. The time has come for all of us to stop the pandering and the delivering of feel-good words of encouragement and for the team to start winning games and be a finals contender.

Am sure the heavy hitters at the club are demanding the same. Of all the players who need to step up, it’s Eric Hipwood. Kicked 37 goals in 2018, and needs to push that to 50-plus this year. It’s not all on him, of course, but this young man needs more volume to add to the highlight reel.

VERDICT

Would like to see eight, nine wins

CARLTON

WHAT I LIKE

Let’s be frank, there hasn’t been a lot in recent years, and when news broke Sam Docherty had ripped his knee again, it was devastating for him and for all Blue Baggers. He will be badly missed. So, what do we like? Patrick Cripps, Charlie Curnow, Paddy Dow, can’t wait to see Sam Walsh, Zac Fisher, Kade Simpson and sometimes Jacob Weitering, sometimes Sam Petrevski-Seton, sometimes Lachie Plowman and sometimes Caleb Marchbank.

There are too many “sometimes’’ players in a game plan that, at this stage, requires strong, sustained effort. Of course, skill is another component. But football is about hope and let’s hope 2018 was the absolute wasteland and it’s small steps forward in 2019.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

One of the most intriguing issues in football is directed at Brendon Bolton: How much time does he get?

We know the Blues scuppered their list and, in Bolton’s three years, they have won seven, six and a nightmarish two games last year. It has to improve, surely, though the Blues said last year they expected his third and fourth years to be the most challenging. Is that an easy out?

Or does Bolton need four years to build before he is judged? If the Blues aren’t more competitive, and kick more goals (they averaged 62 points in 2018), there will be a flashpoint at some point this season. Will the Blues hold their nerve and continue to back the coach in?

VERDICT

Bottom three

COLLINGWOOD

WHAT I LIKE

Add Dayne Beams to a strong midfield and it only gets better. Add experience to Mason Cox and he could be one of the most influential forwards in the game. You can’t forget his preliminary final game too quickly.

They have talent, the Pies. Found Jordan De Goey, Brody Mihocek, Cox and Jaidyn Stephenson in the forward half, Brayden Sier and Tom Phillips in the midfield, and Matthew Scharenberg and Levi Greenwood in the back half. The Pies intercept in defence, they win plenty of ball through the middle and De Goey and Cox are super dangerous.

That’s the personnel. Arguably, their key is their mindset. Developed formidable spirit and respect — throughout the club — and all overseen by Nathan Buckley. In the end they failed by a kick in 2018, and if the mindset is near the same, they will be there when the whips are cracking.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

Negatives are few, but the query will be if they can maintain the rage of 2018. Personnel is not the issue; the game plan looks solid with interceptors at the back; fast, long ball movement; and a penchant to defend when the ball is inside 50m. So, can they rage again? You have to say yes.

Would hate to see Brodie Grundy go down, which would mean Cox rucking and not terrorising defenders as much, which would reshape the forward group. Fitting in Jamie Elliott and Darcy Moore is a nice problem and there will be some disappointed players at selection. All in all, am just nit-picking at a team that will be a strong contender.

VERDICT

Top two

ESSENDON

WHAT I LIKE

Joe Daniher (seven games in 2018), Dylan Shiel (recruit) and Aaron Francis (five games) are starting 18 players, so they are a big plus.

The possible emergence of Kobe Mutch, Jordan Ridley, Mason Redman, Jayden Laverde and Matt Guelfi adds depth, Conor McKenna, Andrew McGrath, Kyle Langford and Darcy Parish will be better again, and they have other good and great players throughout the midfield, defence and the forward 50m. They look superb on paper, but football is about attitude as much as it is talent, and attitude is not simply being hard at the ball.

More trust, more care, more selfless football are the buzzwords at the Bombers in the pre-season. Ben Rutten has arrived from Richmond and he should have handy ideas about greater team defence. They kicked 100-plus points in four of their final five matches (only twice in the other 17), so maybe it was falling into place as the season ended.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

For all the razzamatazz, the Bombers finished 11th, yet they would argue seven of their 10 defeats were by fewer than 24 points, and the last two by four points (Hawthorn) and eight points (Richmond) cost them a finals spot. So they are close. But have they the absolute grunt to go deep in September?

They run, they move the ball, they share, but too many times last year they failed to close down the opposition’s best midfielder. A tagger might help occasionally. A career season from Tom Bellchambers is also crucial. After losing four of the first six last year, they responded to John Worsfold’s demands, namely that the players had to set the standard and not the coach. Not a lot of excuses in 2019.

VERDICT

Missing finals would be a vast disappointment

FREMANTLE

WHAT I LIKE

My kingdom for a key forward ... and coach Ross Lyon’s desperate search is finally over. In fact, the Dockers nabbed two: Jesse Hogan and Rory Lobb. The two inclusions surely have to add scores to a team that averaged 72, 73 and 71 points in the past three years. They are diabolical numbers and one of the reasons the Dockers have been stuck in the mud. They have been rebuilding, mind you.

Travis Colyer and Reece Conca will add to their depth, Connor Blakely, Andrew Brayshaw, Ed Langdon, Taylin Duman, Luke Ryan and Adam Cerra surely improve and there are stars around them, led by Nat Fyfe. Have been asking about Lyon and the Dockers for a couple of years and 2019 shapes as perhaps his most confronting. They need consistency and results.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

They tease, the Dockers. In 2018, they were 6-7 win-loss at Round 13 and 2‑7 after that. The year before, they were 6-3 at Round 9 and came home 2-11.

Their best is more than competitive, but clearly they can’t sustain it. Injuries to key players and blooding youth can play havoc with results, we accept that, but when the Dockers falter they tend to get smashed. It has to change. Lyon has to change it.

Am more bullish about the Dockers this year because of their four recruits and natural progression with their youth. Clearly, they would want to improve because once again the football world is looking at Lyon and wanting results.

VERDICT

Push for finals spot

GEELONG

WHAT I LIKE

Gotta like reviews, because recent history — reviews at Richmond and Collingwood — has resulted in spectacular seasons. The Cats, according to chief executive Brian Cook, needed “deep analysis’’ around “the coaches and our strategy’’ at the end of last season.

Don’t know if coach Chris Scott was enamoured with Cook’s comments, but if change was needed and change was made, and results follow, then everyone stays friends. List management was fierce, which was part of the analysis, and in some ways they offloaded some mediocre performers.

Luke Dahlhaus will help, if he is ready to work hard, and they will play Gary Rohan, so we will see changes forward, especially if Gary Ablett is deployed there. But we always talk about the Cats’ players and how great and very good they are — Patrick Dangerfield, Joel Selwood, Tom Hawkins, Mitch Duncan, Tim Kelly, Mark Blicavs, Tom Stewart, Zach Tuohy, Ablett and Sam Menegola — yet they can’t win finals.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

They are a solid team, although defensive coach Matty Scarlett said pre-Christmas the team was mediocre. He does see rejuvenation, though. Sounds like some serious self-assessment at the club and, clearly, it will be up to the coach, and then players, to drive whatever trademarks/strategy/environment the review has provided. Something has to change.

On the field, I’m not sure if Gazza forward will result in the rich pickings some expect. He’s a receiver, albeit quite brilliant, but a hunter and small forwards need to hunt defensively. The stars aside, there’s a freshness about the Cats and, by God, there needed to be.

VERDICT

In the mix for the eight

GOLD COAST

WHAT I LIKE

Colleague David King always says a team needs to know where it is at — and the Suns certainly do.

They have drafted high-end talent into a program with salary cap issues and successfully brought in players on cheapish coin to help said kids. Corey Ellis, Anthony Miles, George Horlin-Smith and Jack Hombsch will help Alex Sexton, last year’s most improved player, fill the void on and off the field. Gee whiz, the draftees — Jack Lukosius, Izak Rankine, Ben King and Jez McLennan — come with heavy reps, so let’s hope it’s the start of an era of success and player retention.

This is a club on its knees with a coach trying to teach its players how to walk. For sure, they will stumble several times.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

If you bet on footy, dump a truckload on the Suns for the wooden spoon. That’s not kicking a team while it’s down, but being competitive enough for long enough in games is the eternal problem for teams loaded with youth.

The on-field battle this year is only half the battle. The Suns know they will struggle to win games and they know the commentariat will come after them with every musket, bayonet and cannon when they do.

The PR battle will be equally as tough. With Steven May and Tom Lynch gone — and who could blame them after devoting their careers to the AFL-run club — the Suns are close to ground zero. The results will indicate as much.

VERDICT

Wooden spoon

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

WHAT I LIKE

Gee, the Giants are a resilient mob. Beset by injury last year and suspension, they won nine from 10 after losing four on the trot and eventually were beaten by grand finalist Collingwood on semi-final weekend.

They were accused of lacking steel, but that’s far from the reality. The salary squeeze meant they lost Dylan Shiel, but kept the other 12 players who finished top 10 in the best and fairest (three tied for 10th). Yep, Rory Lobb was not a top tenner and Tom Scully didn’t play anyway. If Shane Mumford’s body holds up, he will be an asset.

If all their bodies hold up, the Giants will be difficult opposition. Harry Himmelberg, Zac Langdon and Tim Taranto should improve again.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

Wrote this for the 2018 magazine: “People are keen to put the spotlight on the coach, but look forward to seeing him with close to a full list.”

Well, that was far from what happened. Injuries killed them and you have to wonder if there was deep analysis of what’s going wrong. Or is it simply bad luck?

Let’s hope for a change in fortune. Can’t fault ball movement, style and commitment, yet the spotlight is on a few players, namely Jeremy Cameron. The million-dollar player needs to cool his jets and play the ball, and needs to be a Coleman Medal contender.

VERDICT

Fourth to eighth

HAWTHORN

WHAT I LIKE

Finished top four in 2018 without too much fanfare and, as usual, it was a superb coaching effort from Alastair Clarkson. Hands up who thought the Hawks were top-four material. I didn’t. Anyway, they finished fourth before losing both finals.

Tom Mitchell aside, they have a terrific core of Jack Gunston, Luke Breust, Jarryd Roughead, James Frawley, Blake Hardwick, Ben McEvoy, Ben Stratton, Isaac Smith, Jaeger O’Meara and a bloody star in James Sicily. He needs to cool his jets, but he is a star nonetheless.

Cut mid-range player Will Langford and traded Taylor Duryea and Ryan Burton — so the rebuild on the run will continue. More kids, Tom Scully (hopefully) and Chad Wingard surely will be the new faces. Won six games by under 11 points last year and that can’t be a fluke, hence the Hawks’ discussion always has to include the coach’s influence.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

It’s obvious — Tom Mitchell’s broken leg. You can talk about sharing the load and/or finding a replacement and playing system football, but 40-possession ballwinners and clearance monsters are rare and the Hawks will desperately miss him. Not saying anything you don’t already know, but am not confident the Hawks can play September without him. Yep, he’s that important.

Wingard is brilliant but was let go by Port for a reason — does he work hard enough? And who knows about Scully? The Hawks finished fourth last year and went bang bang, which tells us they are off the pace. Now Mitchell is missing. It would be a mighty effort to go top four again.

VERDICT

Eighth to 12th

MELBOURNE

WHAT I LIKE

They are the classic, if not the cliche — driven by the previous year’s disappointment. Won 14 games and two finals, and had the football world buzzing before West Coast gave them the dagger. Wonder how coach Simon Goodwin reviewed it — watched it with the players with the remote in his hand to highlight the jumpy moments?

Or simply move on? It has to be used as a lesson learnt, because they will be thereabouts again. How can they not be? Well-resourced midfield, averaged 101 points in offence and 79 defensively, secured Steven May in the off-season and Jake Lever will be back from injury. No excuses, barring savage injury.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

The enormous amount of shit Alex will heap on us if Melbourne win the GF

The preliminary final losers get scant attention because Grand Final week is all about the teams competing.

The loss to West Coast was shameful, not because they lost, but how they lost. Fumbled when under pressure, they succumbed in the first half and it was game over. It was a performance that lives with them until they get back there again. As said, it should be some sort of motivation.

Jesse Hogan will hardly be missed, and he’s probably already been forgotten, and Tom McDonald and Sam Weideman will be one-two up forward. It’s difficult to find fault with the style of play and personnel under Goodwin, so it might be a test of nerve deep in September.

VERDICT

Top four

NORTH MELBOURNE

WHAT I LIKE

Identified areas of concern after a super competitive 2018 and landed Jared Polec and Aaron Hall as the outside runners and carriers, and midfield depth with Dom Tyson. Add Ben Jacobs who played one game after Round 12 and North’s midfield group looms imposing.

It reads Ben Cunnington, Shaun Higgins, Trent Dumont, Polec, Hall, Tyson, Jacobs, Jed Anderson and Jy Simpkin, with Jack Ziebell as an extra. Dumont is ready to launch as a midfielder, if he hasn’t already. They will be better again this year the Kangas.

Won 12 games and lost another six by 17 points or fewer in 2018. They were more than competitive last year and have better players this year. Suspect they will be one of the more exciting teams in 2019. If Mason Wood, Kayne Turner, Luke Davies-Uniacke and Taylor Garner (forever injured) can take next steps, the Roos could be up and running early.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

Majak Daw emerged as an elite intercept/contested mark in 2018 and he is expected to miss all of 2019.

It is a horrible story off the field and a frustrating story on the field. It probably gives Ben McKay or Sam Durdin an opportunity. Never thought I’d say this about Daw, but he will be a monster loss. Todd Goldstein is fit and would want to be as the pickings are slim after him. Picked up Tom Campbell (former Bulldog) but while he has positives, am not sure he can carry a team in the ruck if Goldstein goes down.

Still, injuries are just fearful thinking. Need Wood (who we spoke about last year in much the same way) and Turner to add elements to their game, namely consistency for Wood and scores for Turner.

VERDICT

Eighth spot

PORT ADELAIDE

WHAT I LIKE

It started with tough decisions by the football department, led by the trading of Chad Wingard. It was a kind of line-in-the-sand dumping which suggested coach Ken Hinkley had a gutful of underperforming players. And he loved Wingard. A shameful finish to 2018 — they lost six of their last seven and couldn’t buy a goal — was the catalyst for the tough decisions.

I expect Port to be a tougher, more resilient unit to help their solid defence this year. But I’ve said that before. Tom Clurey, Darcy Byrne-Jones and Dan Houston were inside the top 10 in the B&F in 2018, which is a positive. Recruits Scott Lycett, Sam Mayes and Ryan Burton and draftee Connor Rozee will be in the 22, and the return of Hamish Hartlett and Matthew Broadbent will toughen them even more.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

They tease too much and whatever trust you grow in Port is eroded by its failures season after season. Twelve, 14, 10, 12, 16 (preliminary final) and 13 wins in their past six seasons tell us they hover around the bottom of the eight, and barring 2014, can’t go further for whatever reason. Perhaps they have too many holes when the whips are cracking.

They seriously need a solution for their lack of scores from Round 17 last year. What was it? Slow ball movement (probably).

Lack personnel in form (probably). Flooded forward line (probably). It was boring football. Quicker ball movement might help. Of the departures, Jared Polec will be missed in Port’s midfield.

VERDICT

Reckon they can play finals

RICHMOND

WHAT I LIKE

Similar to Melbourne, they crumbled on the second most important weekend of the year, and suspect the Tigers will learn plenty about themselves because of it. They’ll be contenders again, barring a load of injuries.

The positive is Tom Lynch — he and Jack Riewoldt loom as a formidable front two if the chemistry is right. You know what the Tigers will do. They will defend forward, move the ball forward by hand and run hard, and Dustin Martin will play midfield forward.

Don’t know it will happen too many times, because Damien Hardwick likes Martin one-out deep, but Martin, Riewoldt and Lynch in the same 50m will be frightening for opposition defences.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

Mucked up preliminary final weekend, but the issues probably started six weeks out.

They knew they would finish top two and the mindset of knowing that could have played against them, as predicted by Denis Pagan. In hindsight, they seemed to play within themselves and lacked the absolute death football they played every week from Round 17 the previous season. The club will learn from that, if, in fact, it was the case.

But they weren’t the same team against Hawthorn either, before being shellacked by Collingwood. The Tigers have the game plan, the experience and now Lynch, so it could be theirs to lose if the mindset is astray. One question: Will teams try to match up Alex Rance with a mid-sized player, a la Jordan De Goey in the preliminary final? You’d expect so.

VERDICT

Top two

ST KILDA

WHAT I LIKE

Yep, another in-depth post-season review — and a host of changes (Brett Ratten, Brendon Lade for example) — has set the bar at “excitable’’ levels.

There’s plenty of nice noise, encouraging noise, and if the turnaround comes as planned the review by Simon Lethlean will be seen as a successful one. If not, then more heads will roll. A changed environment — they say it has been bold — was needed after a dismal 2018.

If Dan Hannebery holds up, he will be a plus, Dean Kent is the sort of player they needed forward of centre. If he’s good enough is the question. Dylan Roberton is also a key return and can’t wait to see Max King as a forward. Of the rest, Blake Acres, Tim Membrey, Jack Sinclair, Billy Longer, Jack Lonie, Paddy McCartin, Hunter Clark, Ben Long, Rowan Marshall and Nick Coffield simply have to improve output and/or consistency.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

Coach Alan Richardson put his faith in the young leaders after the departures of Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna and Sean Dempster, and his faith was not rewarded, leading to a demanding season for all involved.

It’s understood Richo was told by some players post-season that he concentrated too much on what the players weren’t doing, or doing badly, and not dishing enough praise for their good work.

Balance had to be the aim. He’s under the pump, the coach, and they start the season with Gold Coast, Essendon, Fremantle, Melbourne, Richmond, Port Adelaide, GWS, West Coast and Collingwood. If they are 2-7, the horrid headlines will come. The equation is simple: kick more goals (averaged 73 points in ‘18) and stop more goals (averaged 97 against). Getting it done, however, won’t be easy.

VERDICT

Need 8-10 wins

SYDNEY SWANS

WHAT I LIKE

Suspect John Longmire has assessed the numbers and rankings in key areas and has had the off-season to rectify or at least improve in those areas. Sam Reid played one game in 2018, and we tend to talk about Reid every pre-season, but if he can stay on the park, he and Franklin will be formidable together.

A forward group of Buddy, Reid, Dan Menzel, Ben Ronke, Tom Papley and a mix of Isaac Heeney, Tom McCartin and Will Hayward is easy on the eye. Callum Mills and Lewis Melican return to back flanks to join Jake Lloyd, Jarrad McVeigh and Aliir Aliir, while Dane Rampe and Nick Smith would hope for better seasons.

They have stars and they have question marks, the Swans, but those questions will be answered by the coach and how he wants his team to play. More of the same trench footy will get the more of the same trench-footy results, so am expecting a slightly different Swans style this year.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

Semi-courageous move to leave the Swans out of the pre-season finals predictions, for they have lived in September for the best part of 15 years.

But they have fallen off the pace. Outside run, defensive pressure, inside-50 numbers and reliance on Buddy Franklin are issues. There’s no doubt the Swans have top-shelf inside mids who win the ball, but they don’t win enough 50-50 ball in general play, according to Champion Data.

Plainly, they have to improve on the outside in several areas, and need to find more goalkickers. Recruits Jackson Thurlow and Ryan Clarke are on the watch list and Menzel no doubt will kick goals, so would rate their recruiting as only fair.

VERDICT

To miss finals

WEST COAST

WHAT I LIKE

The coach and the players have the respect of the competition. Not just because they won the flag, but how they achieved it. Injuries beset them, and they were under the pump in several finals, yet they still won. Coach Adam Simpson instilled character and camaraderie in his team and his players ran with it.

It really was a premiership of valour under a coach who, from afar, seemingly has terrific people skills to get the best out of the individual and the team and, clearly, football nous. Now they will have Andrew Gaff for the whole season, Brad Sheppard, who was injured in the finals, and Nic Naitanui back by Round 10.

Do I have to mention the most potent forward group in the comp? OK, Josh Kennedy, Jack Darling, Liam Ryan, Willie Rioli, Jamie Cripps and take your pick. If the mentality is strong, they will be there in late September.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

Will be curious how the Eagles start the season because of personnel missing pre-season, combined with a late start and extended holidays. Might be picky, but they could be vulnerable early.

It’s difficult to be critical of a team which displayed enormous heart and team values and played terrific football on their way to winning the premiership. Always, though, the desire and commitment coming off a flag season is arguably the greatest concern for a team. Clearly, Scott Lycett leaving could pose a problem if Nathan Vardy and Tom Hickey are so-so, but there are ample replacements for Mark Le Cras.

VERDICT

Will defend flag strongly

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexRRR said:

Sudds....its only first weekend of March...did you catch the bikini clad teen behind the goals?

No watch. Sorry I missed it.

I've spent the last while crying in the cradle position because of not being able to get gas Meter installed due to company negligence. 

It's hard dealing with authority. Default setting is stuff customer around.

But excited for tigers. And other teams. Go hard. Straight down the guts.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stud858 said:

No watch. Sorry I missed it.

I've spent the last while crying in the cradle position because of not being able to get gas Meter installed due to company negligence. 

It's hard dealing with authority. Default setting is stuff customer around.

But excited for tigers. And other teams. Go hard. Straight down the guts.

I think its <deleted> amazing we can put a man on the moon a space ship to Pluto sample rocks off mars and it takes 3 weeks in my case to get the gas disconnected or...3 weeks to a month to get hooked up to the Internet.....and my new iPhone? Jesus ordered it and they charged me from the date I ordered it got it 10 days later....Australia....your standing in it....

10 hours ago, Will27 said:

Herald Sun chief football writer Mark Robinson’s likes and dislikes for every club ahead of 2019

ADELAIDE

WHAT I LIKE

Plenty. The co-captain strategy received wide support and it is a significant change in light of the disappointment of 2018. Keep Tex Walker, add Rory Sloane and there’s a newness about the leadership, a kind of necessary step forward while maintaining and respecting the essence of the incumbent. On paper, the Crows appear strong in the three areas of the ground and the strategy under Don Pyke is strong.

Reckon the likes of Wayne Milera, Hugh Greenwood (a serious footballer), Tom Doedee and Jordan Gallucci will continue to improve, Brodie Smith (two games) will be fitter, and so will Sloane. The Crows won three of four coming home last year, which is a plus, but only time will tell if this group has restored its trust across the board. Reckon they will have.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

It can’t get any worse than what happened in 2018.

The camp, the injuries, the doubts, the injuries, the denials, the injuries and, ultimately, the defeats consigned the Crows to 12th, winning 12 games and losing 10. The club had its soul scrutinised, as well as the players questioned, which probably did their heads in. Collectively, they will be competitive, but questions remain.

Can Eddie Betts respond after a so-so season by his standards? Can Walker stay on the park (26 goals from 14 games)? Is Sam Jacobs almost cooked? The Crows brought in mostly kids, so there’s confidence the existing group can bounce back.

VERDICT

Top six

BRISBANE LIONS

WHAT I LIKE

It would appear it’s all going to plan, albeit slowly. In the 2016 season, the Lions gave away an average of 131 points and kicked an average of 80 points. In Chris Fagan’s first two years, it was 115-85 and last year 93-83.

That’s an eight-goal improvement in defence. The scoring, however, is stagnating. That’s the next area of improvement. If they find goalkickers and keep it longer in their half, the Lions should win more games.

Last year, they found a defender in Darcy Gardiner. He, Harris Andrews and Luke Hodge will form the defence. Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage and Alex Witherden were top 10 B&F finishers in 2018 and will get better. Of them, Berry looks real smart. They lost Dayne Beams in the most curious fashion and gained Lachie Neale. They will miss Beams’ goals, but Charlie Cameron is back from injury, so there’s a huge plus. And clearly Cam Rayner will be better again.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

It’s not so much a dislike, but it’s reality: How long do we keep saying the Lions are building before they start beating teams.

Have won five, five, three and four games in the past four seasons, two of those seasons under Fagan. The time has come for all of us to stop the pandering and the delivering of feel-good words of encouragement and for the team to start winning games and be a finals contender.

Am sure the heavy hitters at the club are demanding the same. Of all the players who need to step up, it’s Eric Hipwood. Kicked 37 goals in 2018, and needs to push that to 50-plus this year. It’s not all on him, of course, but this young man needs more volume to add to the highlight reel.

VERDICT

Would like to see eight, nine wins

CARLTON

WHAT I LIKE

Let’s be frank, there hasn’t been a lot in recent years, and when news broke Sam Docherty had ripped his knee again, it was devastating for him and for all Blue Baggers. He will be badly missed. So, what do we like? Patrick Cripps, Charlie Curnow, Paddy Dow, can’t wait to see Sam Walsh, Zac Fisher, Kade Simpson and sometimes Jacob Weitering, sometimes Sam Petrevski-Seton, sometimes Lachie Plowman and sometimes Caleb Marchbank.

There are too many “sometimes’’ players in a game plan that, at this stage, requires strong, sustained effort. Of course, skill is another component. But football is about hope and let’s hope 2018 was the absolute wasteland and it’s small steps forward in 2019.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

One of the most intriguing issues in football is directed at Brendon Bolton: How much time does he get?

We know the Blues scuppered their list and, in Bolton’s three years, they have won seven, six and a nightmarish two games last year. It has to improve, surely, though the Blues said last year they expected his third and fourth years to be the most challenging. Is that an easy out?

Or does Bolton need four years to build before he is judged? If the Blues aren’t more competitive, and kick more goals (they averaged 62 points in 2018), there will be a flashpoint at some point this season. Will the Blues hold their nerve and continue to back the coach in?

VERDICT

Bottom three

COLLINGWOOD

WHAT I LIKE

Add Dayne Beams to a strong midfield and it only gets better. Add experience to Mason Cox and he could be one of the most influential forwards in the game. You can’t forget his preliminary final game too quickly.

They have talent, the Pies. Found Jordan De Goey, Brody Mihocek, Cox and Jaidyn Stephenson in the forward half, Brayden Sier and Tom Phillips in the midfield, and Matthew Scharenberg and Levi Greenwood in the back half. The Pies intercept in defence, they win plenty of ball through the middle and De Goey and Cox are super dangerous.

That’s the personnel. Arguably, their key is their mindset. Developed formidable spirit and respect — throughout the club — and all overseen by Nathan Buckley. In the end they failed by a kick in 2018, and if the mindset is near the same, they will be there when the whips are cracking.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

Negatives are few, but the query will be if they can maintain the rage of 2018. Personnel is not the issue; the game plan looks solid with interceptors at the back; fast, long ball movement; and a penchant to defend when the ball is inside 50m. So, can they rage again? You have to say yes.

Would hate to see Brodie Grundy go down, which would mean Cox rucking and not terrorising defenders as much, which would reshape the forward group. Fitting in Jamie Elliott and Darcy Moore is a nice problem and there will be some disappointed players at selection. All in all, am just nit-picking at a team that will be a strong contender.

VERDICT

Top two

ESSENDON

WHAT I LIKE

Joe Daniher (seven games in 2018), Dylan Shiel (recruit) and Aaron Francis (five games) are starting 18 players, so they are a big plus.

The possible emergence of Kobe Mutch, Jordan Ridley, Mason Redman, Jayden Laverde and Matt Guelfi adds depth, Conor McKenna, Andrew McGrath, Kyle Langford and Darcy Parish will be better again, and they have other good and great players throughout the midfield, defence and the forward 50m. They look superb on paper, but football is about attitude as much as it is talent, and attitude is not simply being hard at the ball.

More trust, more care, more selfless football are the buzzwords at the Bombers in the pre-season. Ben Rutten has arrived from Richmond and he should have handy ideas about greater team defence. They kicked 100-plus points in four of their final five matches (only twice in the other 17), so maybe it was falling into place as the season ended.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

For all the razzamatazz, the Bombers finished 11th, yet they would argue seven of their 10 defeats were by fewer than 24 points, and the last two by four points (Hawthorn) and eight points (Richmond) cost them a finals spot. So they are close. But have they the absolute grunt to go deep in September?

They run, they move the ball, they share, but too many times last year they failed to close down the opposition’s best midfielder. A tagger might help occasionally. A career season from Tom Bellchambers is also crucial. After losing four of the first six last year, they responded to John Worsfold’s demands, namely that the players had to set the standard and not the coach. Not a lot of excuses in 2019.

VERDICT

Missing finals would be a vast disappointment

FREMANTLE

WHAT I LIKE

My kingdom for a key forward ... and coach Ross Lyon’s desperate search is finally over. In fact, the Dockers nabbed two: Jesse Hogan and Rory Lobb. The two inclusions surely have to add scores to a team that averaged 72, 73 and 71 points in the past three years. They are diabolical numbers and one of the reasons the Dockers have been stuck in the mud. They have been rebuilding, mind you.

Travis Colyer and Reece Conca will add to their depth, Connor Blakely, Andrew Brayshaw, Ed Langdon, Taylin Duman, Luke Ryan and Adam Cerra surely improve and there are stars around them, led by Nat Fyfe. Have been asking about Lyon and the Dockers for a couple of years and 2019 shapes as perhaps his most confronting. They need consistency and results.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

They tease, the Dockers. In 2018, they were 6-7 win-loss at Round 13 and 2‑7 after that. The year before, they were 6-3 at Round 9 and came home 2-11.

Their best is more than competitive, but clearly they can’t sustain it. Injuries to key players and blooding youth can play havoc with results, we accept that, but when the Dockers falter they tend to get smashed. It has to change. Lyon has to change it.

Am more bullish about the Dockers this year because of their four recruits and natural progression with their youth. Clearly, they would want to improve because once again the football world is looking at Lyon and wanting results.

VERDICT

Push for finals spot

GEELONG

WHAT I LIKE

Gotta like reviews, because recent history — reviews at Richmond and Collingwood — has resulted in spectacular seasons. The Cats, according to chief executive Brian Cook, needed “deep analysis’’ around “the coaches and our strategy’’ at the end of last season.

Don’t know if coach Chris Scott was enamoured with Cook’s comments, but if change was needed and change was made, and results follow, then everyone stays friends. List management was fierce, which was part of the analysis, and in some ways they offloaded some mediocre performers.

Luke Dahlhaus will help, if he is ready to work hard, and they will play Gary Rohan, so we will see changes forward, especially if Gary Ablett is deployed there. But we always talk about the Cats’ players and how great and very good they are — Patrick Dangerfield, Joel Selwood, Tom Hawkins, Mitch Duncan, Tim Kelly, Mark Blicavs, Tom Stewart, Zach Tuohy, Ablett and Sam Menegola — yet they can’t win finals.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

They are a solid team, although defensive coach Matty Scarlett said pre-Christmas the team was mediocre. He does see rejuvenation, though. Sounds like some serious self-assessment at the club and, clearly, it will be up to the coach, and then players, to drive whatever trademarks/strategy/environment the review has provided. Something has to change.

On the field, I’m not sure if Gazza forward will result in the rich pickings some expect. He’s a receiver, albeit quite brilliant, but a hunter and small forwards need to hunt defensively. The stars aside, there’s a freshness about the Cats and, by God, there needed to be.

VERDICT

In the mix for the eight

GOLD COAST

WHAT I LIKE

Colleague David King always says a team needs to know where it is at — and the Suns certainly do.

They have drafted high-end talent into a program with salary cap issues and successfully brought in players on cheapish coin to help said kids. Corey Ellis, Anthony Miles, George Horlin-Smith and Jack Hombsch will help Alex Sexton, last year’s most improved player, fill the void on and off the field. Gee whiz, the draftees — Jack Lukosius, Izak Rankine, Ben King and Jez McLennan — come with heavy reps, so let’s hope it’s the start of an era of success and player retention.

This is a club on its knees with a coach trying to teach its players how to walk. For sure, they will stumble several times.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

If you bet on footy, dump a truckload on the Suns for the wooden spoon. That’s not kicking a team while it’s down, but being competitive enough for long enough in games is the eternal problem for teams loaded with youth.

The on-field battle this year is only half the battle. The Suns know they will struggle to win games and they know the commentariat will come after them with every musket, bayonet and cannon when they do.

The PR battle will be equally as tough. With Steven May and Tom Lynch gone — and who could blame them after devoting their careers to the AFL-run club — the Suns are close to ground zero. The results will indicate as much.

VERDICT

Wooden spoon

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

WHAT I LIKE

Gee, the Giants are a resilient mob. Beset by injury last year and suspension, they won nine from 10 after losing four on the trot and eventually were beaten by grand finalist Collingwood on semi-final weekend.

They were accused of lacking steel, but that’s far from the reality. The salary squeeze meant they lost Dylan Shiel, but kept the other 12 players who finished top 10 in the best and fairest (three tied for 10th). Yep, Rory Lobb was not a top tenner and Tom Scully didn’t play anyway. If Shane Mumford’s body holds up, he will be an asset.

If all their bodies hold up, the Giants will be difficult opposition. Harry Himmelberg, Zac Langdon and Tim Taranto should improve again.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

Wrote this for the 2018 magazine: “People are keen to put the spotlight on the coach, but look forward to seeing him with close to a full list.”

Well, that was far from what happened. Injuries killed them and you have to wonder if there was deep analysis of what’s going wrong. Or is it simply bad luck?

Let’s hope for a change in fortune. Can’t fault ball movement, style and commitment, yet the spotlight is on a few players, namely Jeremy Cameron. The million-dollar player needs to cool his jets and play the ball, and needs to be a Coleman Medal contender.

VERDICT

Fourth to eighth

HAWTHORN

WHAT I LIKE

Finished top four in 2018 without too much fanfare and, as usual, it was a superb coaching effort from Alastair Clarkson. Hands up who thought the Hawks were top-four material. I didn’t. Anyway, they finished fourth before losing both finals.

Tom Mitchell aside, they have a terrific core of Jack Gunston, Luke Breust, Jarryd Roughead, James Frawley, Blake Hardwick, Ben McEvoy, Ben Stratton, Isaac Smith, Jaeger O’Meara and a bloody star in James Sicily. He needs to cool his jets, but he is a star nonetheless.

Cut mid-range player Will Langford and traded Taylor Duryea and Ryan Burton — so the rebuild on the run will continue. More kids, Tom Scully (hopefully) and Chad Wingard surely will be the new faces. Won six games by under 11 points last year and that can’t be a fluke, hence the Hawks’ discussion always has to include the coach’s influence.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

It’s obvious — Tom Mitchell’s broken leg. You can talk about sharing the load and/or finding a replacement and playing system football, but 40-possession ballwinners and clearance monsters are rare and the Hawks will desperately miss him. Not saying anything you don’t already know, but am not confident the Hawks can play September without him. Yep, he’s that important.

Wingard is brilliant but was let go by Port for a reason — does he work hard enough? And who knows about Scully? The Hawks finished fourth last year and went bang bang, which tells us they are off the pace. Now Mitchell is missing. It would be a mighty effort to go top four again.

VERDICT

Eighth to 12th

MELBOURNE

WHAT I LIKE

They are the classic, if not the cliche — driven by the previous year’s disappointment. Won 14 games and two finals, and had the football world buzzing before West Coast gave them the dagger. Wonder how coach Simon Goodwin reviewed it — watched it with the players with the remote in his hand to highlight the jumpy moments?

Or simply move on? It has to be used as a lesson learnt, because they will be thereabouts again. How can they not be? Well-resourced midfield, averaged 101 points in offence and 79 defensively, secured Steven May in the off-season and Jake Lever will be back from injury. No excuses, barring savage injury.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

The enormous amount of shit Alex will heap on us if Melbourne win the GF

The preliminary final losers get scant attention because Grand Final week is all about the teams competing.

The loss to West Coast was shameful, not because they lost, but how they lost. Fumbled when under pressure, they succumbed in the first half and it was game over. It was a performance that lives with them until they get back there again. As said, it should be some sort of motivation.

Jesse Hogan will hardly be missed, and he’s probably already been forgotten, and Tom McDonald and Sam Weideman will be one-two up forward. It’s difficult to find fault with the style of play and personnel under Goodwin, so it might be a test of nerve deep in September.

VERDICT

Top four

NORTH MELBOURNE

WHAT I LIKE

Identified areas of concern after a super competitive 2018 and landed Jared Polec and Aaron Hall as the outside runners and carriers, and midfield depth with Dom Tyson. Add Ben Jacobs who played one game after Round 12 and North’s midfield group looms imposing.

It reads Ben Cunnington, Shaun Higgins, Trent Dumont, Polec, Hall, Tyson, Jacobs, Jed Anderson and Jy Simpkin, with Jack Ziebell as an extra. Dumont is ready to launch as a midfielder, if he hasn’t already. They will be better again this year the Kangas.

Won 12 games and lost another six by 17 points or fewer in 2018. They were more than competitive last year and have better players this year. Suspect they will be one of the more exciting teams in 2019. If Mason Wood, Kayne Turner, Luke Davies-Uniacke and Taylor Garner (forever injured) can take next steps, the Roos could be up and running early.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

Majak Daw emerged as an elite intercept/contested mark in 2018 and he is expected to miss all of 2019.

It is a horrible story off the field and a frustrating story on the field. It probably gives Ben McKay or Sam Durdin an opportunity. Never thought I’d say this about Daw, but he will be a monster loss. Todd Goldstein is fit and would want to be as the pickings are slim after him. Picked up Tom Campbell (former Bulldog) but while he has positives, am not sure he can carry a team in the ruck if Goldstein goes down.

Still, injuries are just fearful thinking. Need Wood (who we spoke about last year in much the same way) and Turner to add elements to their game, namely consistency for Wood and scores for Turner.

VERDICT

Eighth spot

PORT ADELAIDE

WHAT I LIKE

It started with tough decisions by the football department, led by the trading of Chad Wingard. It was a kind of line-in-the-sand dumping which suggested coach Ken Hinkley had a gutful of underperforming players. And he loved Wingard. A shameful finish to 2018 — they lost six of their last seven and couldn’t buy a goal — was the catalyst for the tough decisions.

I expect Port to be a tougher, more resilient unit to help their solid defence this year. But I’ve said that before. Tom Clurey, Darcy Byrne-Jones and Dan Houston were inside the top 10 in the B&F in 2018, which is a positive. Recruits Scott Lycett, Sam Mayes and Ryan Burton and draftee Connor Rozee will be in the 22, and the return of Hamish Hartlett and Matthew Broadbent will toughen them even more.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

They tease too much and whatever trust you grow in Port is eroded by its failures season after season. Twelve, 14, 10, 12, 16 (preliminary final) and 13 wins in their past six seasons tell us they hover around the bottom of the eight, and barring 2014, can’t go further for whatever reason. Perhaps they have too many holes when the whips are cracking.

They seriously need a solution for their lack of scores from Round 17 last year. What was it? Slow ball movement (probably).

Lack personnel in form (probably). Flooded forward line (probably). It was boring football. Quicker ball movement might help. Of the departures, Jared Polec will be missed in Port’s midfield.

VERDICT

Reckon they can play finals

RICHMOND

WHAT I LIKE

Similar to Melbourne, they crumbled on the second most important weekend of the year, and suspect the Tigers will learn plenty about themselves because of it. They’ll be contenders again, barring a load of injuries.

The positive is Tom Lynch — he and Jack Riewoldt loom as a formidable front two if the chemistry is right. You know what the Tigers will do. They will defend forward, move the ball forward by hand and run hard, and Dustin Martin will play midfield forward.

Don’t know it will happen too many times, because Damien Hardwick likes Martin one-out deep, but Martin, Riewoldt and Lynch in the same 50m will be frightening for opposition defences.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

Mucked up preliminary final weekend, but the issues probably started six weeks out.

They knew they would finish top two and the mindset of knowing that could have played against them, as predicted by Denis Pagan. In hindsight, they seemed to play within themselves and lacked the absolute death football they played every week from Round 17 the previous season. The club will learn from that, if, in fact, it was the case.

But they weren’t the same team against Hawthorn either, before being shellacked by Collingwood. The Tigers have the game plan, the experience and now Lynch, so it could be theirs to lose if the mindset is astray. One question: Will teams try to match up Alex Rance with a mid-sized player, a la Jordan De Goey in the preliminary final? You’d expect so.

VERDICT

Top two

ST KILDA

WHAT I LIKE

Yep, another in-depth post-season review — and a host of changes (Brett Ratten, Brendon Lade for example) — has set the bar at “excitable’’ levels.

There’s plenty of nice noise, encouraging noise, and if the turnaround comes as planned the review by Simon Lethlean will be seen as a successful one. If not, then more heads will roll. A changed environment — they say it has been bold — was needed after a dismal 2018.

If Dan Hannebery holds up, he will be a plus, Dean Kent is the sort of player they needed forward of centre. If he’s good enough is the question. Dylan Roberton is also a key return and can’t wait to see Max King as a forward. Of the rest, Blake Acres, Tim Membrey, Jack Sinclair, Billy Longer, Jack Lonie, Paddy McCartin, Hunter Clark, Ben Long, Rowan Marshall and Nick Coffield simply have to improve output and/or consistency.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

Coach Alan Richardson put his faith in the young leaders after the departures of Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna and Sean Dempster, and his faith was not rewarded, leading to a demanding season for all involved.

It’s understood Richo was told by some players post-season that he concentrated too much on what the players weren’t doing, or doing badly, and not dishing enough praise for their good work.

Balance had to be the aim. He’s under the pump, the coach, and they start the season with Gold Coast, Essendon, Fremantle, Melbourne, Richmond, Port Adelaide, GWS, West Coast and Collingwood. If they are 2-7, the horrid headlines will come. The equation is simple: kick more goals (averaged 73 points in ‘18) and stop more goals (averaged 97 against). Getting it done, however, won’t be easy.

VERDICT

Need 8-10 wins

SYDNEY SWANS

WHAT I LIKE

Suspect John Longmire has assessed the numbers and rankings in key areas and has had the off-season to rectify or at least improve in those areas. Sam Reid played one game in 2018, and we tend to talk about Reid every pre-season, but if he can stay on the park, he and Franklin will be formidable together.

A forward group of Buddy, Reid, Dan Menzel, Ben Ronke, Tom Papley and a mix of Isaac Heeney, Tom McCartin and Will Hayward is easy on the eye. Callum Mills and Lewis Melican return to back flanks to join Jake Lloyd, Jarrad McVeigh and Aliir Aliir, while Dane Rampe and Nick Smith would hope for better seasons.

They have stars and they have question marks, the Swans, but those questions will be answered by the coach and how he wants his team to play. More of the same trench footy will get the more of the same trench-footy results, so am expecting a slightly different Swans style this year.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

Semi-courageous move to leave the Swans out of the pre-season finals predictions, for they have lived in September for the best part of 15 years.

But they have fallen off the pace. Outside run, defensive pressure, inside-50 numbers and reliance on Buddy Franklin are issues. There’s no doubt the Swans have top-shelf inside mids who win the ball, but they don’t win enough 50-50 ball in general play, according to Champion Data.

Plainly, they have to improve on the outside in several areas, and need to find more goalkickers. Recruits Jackson Thurlow and Ryan Clarke are on the watch list and Menzel no doubt will kick goals, so would rate their recruiting as only fair.

VERDICT

To miss finals

WEST COAST

WHAT I LIKE

The coach and the players have the respect of the competition. Not just because they won the flag, but how they achieved it. Injuries beset them, and they were under the pump in several finals, yet they still won. Coach Adam Simpson instilled character and camaraderie in his team and his players ran with it.

It really was a premiership of valour under a coach who, from afar, seemingly has terrific people skills to get the best out of the individual and the team and, clearly, football nous. Now they will have Andrew Gaff for the whole season, Brad Sheppard, who was injured in the finals, and Nic Naitanui back by Round 10.

Do I have to mention the most potent forward group in the comp? OK, Josh Kennedy, Jack Darling, Liam Ryan, Willie Rioli, Jamie Cripps and take your pick. If the mentality is strong, they will be there in late September.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

Will be curious how the Eagles start the season because of personnel missing pre-season, combined with a late start and extended holidays. Might be picky, but they could be vulnerable early.

It’s difficult to be critical of a team which displayed enormous heart and team values and played terrific football on their way to winning the premiership. Always, though, the desire and commitment coming off a flag season is arguably the greatest concern for a team. Clearly, Scott Lycett leaving could pose a problem if Nathan Vardy and Tom Hickey are so-so, but there are ample replacements for Mark Le Cras.

VERDICT

Will defend flag strongly

Awwww I wouldn't put shit. on ya's....I just won't let you forget until the next Grand Final....thats 12 months solid bragging rights....

Blues....I would not be so quick to discount, they have an even better list that the Dee's at the same stage of rebuilding, they pretty much have a goal to goal line in a year or two most clubs will be dieing for....

As for the prelim....Melbourne did not turn up it was there worst game in years totally out of character and they would have learned from it...

Freo now they have Hogan WILL realise they need players to give him the ball, he isn't there saviour..

Saints Port Suns and Scrays to fight for the wooden spoon, my tip is Blues WILL be above this lot by seasons end.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Ps....North eventualy like the Dee's returned to there original colors only Lions stayed with the color tv strip...

bzzzzzz............when colour tv was introduced in 1975, The Lions (Fitzroy) wore canary yellow hot-pants.

This historic youtube clip from the same year shows the Neil Sachse collision which rendered him a paraplegic.

Sachse went on to write his autobiography.   Haven't read it.

26037765__UY1000_SS1000_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Radar501 said:

bzzzzzz............when colour tv was introduced in 1975, The Lions (Fitzroy) wore canary yellow hot-pants.

This historic youtube clip from the same year shows the Neil Sachse collision which rendered him a paraplegic.

Sachse went on to write his autobiography.   Haven't read it.

26037765__UY1000_SS1000_.jpg

Gees man i was talking about the jumper..... i recall the Bombers showing up in red shorts.......eventualy sense prevailed....eventualy....biut i still cant get over the Eagles clipped wings...

• Haha 1

Dees go down 2 weeks in a row.....to Lions this time in the JKL or what ever....May was out of it untill the second half...i mean he got plenty of chances to get in to the game.....Joel Smith playing full forward snaged 4 goals and on one leg...well in the last quarter at least....

I fast forward it a few times...like it was a big yawn ...maybe we don t have to prove anything....maybe.....Lions looking good should have won by more than 2 goals...

Its saturday night....dateless which means im not spending money....you know Thai women dont put there hand in there pockets.....i found "Bandcamp" a website good for music when your bored of watching your team go backwards.....mainly new music...shock horror....u can get the app and add ur wish list and listen away from the pc like in the car if you have andorid or apple car play....Great..its FREE....FREE some would see that as a plus....by the way you can purchase the music you listen to and get it as a download file....most wont like the stuff here i mean its often raw and comes with quirks...though not much is new anymore....styl;es.....more than you will ever need RADAR....even by location....tip......Manchester is a progressive music city....and Paris as well..

Browns have something like 90 million $ to spend on free agents...they sit at no 3 with cash to splash, its expected they wont blow the lot, the deal goes like this...a new formula is in place that you get what they call a farnchise QB and build around him....now this is something like in years gone past in the AFL you get that centre half forward, the deal over there is.....they get a low draft pick get that QB who is on a caped salary for around 3 years....then its kaboom....they shoot from a few Million to like swillions.... Redskins Kirk Cousins at the end of the 2017 season was looking for a pay hike....eventualy signed with the Vikings for 86 million garenteed....over x amount of years possibly 5, Skins being cheapo charlies that are well known in Thailand balked and let him go...thats why they ended up with Case Keenum....and John is a hero in Denver now...The formual has seen the rise of the Rams, Cheifs and Seahawks latter taking home the bacon and Rams getting to the big one, Cheifs looked dam hot for a while too...the Patriots? well Brady is no fool... 5 super bowel wins countles confrence and divisonal champions...and one of the lower paid experianced QB....20.5 Million $ a season why? so the club can get better players around him....you last longer when yourin a better team...by the way Brady went at pick 199 in the draft....

The heat is on....over not being able to compete in the ACL even though Western Sydney took it off not so long ago Aleague players want the salary cap scrapped....normaly i would say fooie buitin the case of soccer id have to agree...were not playing on a level paying field, the Chinese club are paying up and beyond what Europe pay top liners for the smiple fact they want to fast track Chinese players to world standards....

Wow....just spied with my little left eye.....Ojerimie 4U on Bandchamp....under London....all R&B/soul looking hot in her silver trakie dakkiies and green micro top...spacy sound too...goes well with a few beers...ho dam a short track...wait...

righto playing the album now...umm sounds like all the same goes well with cocaine and beer but dont do the white powder, lucky me grew up without the aid of drugs to get me high....a nice dark girl...check her out guys...you know an all year  round sun tan....which reminds me of my old chinese GF i once had...she wasnt pale she was umm like a thai...in fact my first vist to Thailand was with her...she was taken for a Thai many times, first stop was Pattaya...for a week...of course i had no idea it was the sex capital of the world back around 2000....she booked everything...all i said was beach and i want to hire a boat to go sailing ....so in Pattaya we ended up.....I was pissed off that she was challenged at the lift waiting for me to get hotel keys for being a bar girl...gees she was a nurse..midwife and you know asian women look half there age....she was god dam 40 then...in the end i use to wait at the lift and let her go get the keys at reception.....anyway she had all year round sun tan....god dam sexy she was....i use to make a pig of myself with her....i should have ended up with her....but gees i wasnt ready to settle down...she pushed many times...to move in....im a dill now....

This is what you get from me watching a boring game.....wait...i have a bottle of "orchid thieves" apple cider...a good drop ...thinks its a kiwi co but not sure...Civillian on heat was the last song....nice and ummm....like a drug...anyway after 3 days in a 5 star hotel in Pattaya on the beach road i got the drift of what was going on...the very first time i went to the beach i cut my foot...well that was it....wow....Myles Sanko sounds good.....Forget me not....we decided to hang around the pool....why? beach was dirty...smell of diesel and food cooking on the streets, the footpaths merging with the road etc etc...like i said first time in Thailand..no god dam idea...did i mention the mass of wires on street lamp posts? well back at the pool....full of god dam bar girls....i was so pissed for my GF that we checked out next day and she was happy to go....

I dated this girl on and off for 4 years...i use to take her to salsa night clubs....but she was a terrible dancer...she talked to much was the problem...even she said she could talk under water...i got use to it...even use to amuse me listening to her repet herself....but she was god dam hot in bed....you know we use to umm play up after we went out for the first 2 ys....anywhere...car...homein bed what ever....3rd year....well she had this spell on me....i could not keep my hands off her... the moment she arrived i would race her off....and it would last me all week untill i seen her again...fanatstic stuff....like i said i was a pig with her...IN BKK where we ended up...i recall her asking for a rest.....so i said ok....about 6 hours later she goes...oh ok...i asked what is ok? she said i dont want to see you sulk....her english was excellent...she did study in England...i dont recall sulking for not getting any but hey i was happy to ablige...

After dating steady for 11 months straight becasue i said we need to date for one year solid before i would consider anything more serious with her since she had this habit of taking off when she wasnt getting what she wanted....she flew... and just as i was getting my head around her moving in too....started my long bachelorhood.....oh well we have football.....

I since fill my time with the latest Apple products and ranting here.....Ho i had some interesting relationships with thai women too....TGF numero 3 was a head case....and very loveable  too she would have made me very rich with my money.....she had great plans for it....and i truly belive she would have pulled it off too....as well as hot as my Chinese ex....anyway i can thank Christina for going with me to Thailand it got me pointed in that direction later...

Only about 3 weeks away from the start of the season....you know it didnt takelong at all...

• Like 1

Oh boy....oh boy....has anyone seen the new Bulldogs away jumper? i think its meant to be the away could be there home since its mainly there orig colors......

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-12/dogs-of-thunder-bulldogs-to-wear-thorthemed-jumpers

They claim the players like it...as if they could say anything else....just off...just off really off....really really really ooooooooooooooooooooooff...

Wanna know how many bullie supportes WILL end up buying one....Makes the Eagles clipped wings look like wings of GOLD....

1 hour ago, AlexRRR said:

Oh boy....oh boy....has anyone seen the new Bulldogs away jumper? i think its meant to be the away could be there home since its mainly there orig colors......

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-12/dogs-of-thunder-bulldogs-to-wear-thorthemed-jumpers

They claim the players like it...as if they could say anything else....just off...just off really off....really really really ooooooooooooooooooooooff...

Wanna know how many bullie supportes WILL end up buying one....Makes the Eagles clipped wings look like wings of GOLD....

It's only a one-off at the renamed Marvel Stadium. 

Thank Christ.

• Like 1