Pelosi hits Trump over use of 9/11 images to criticize Muslim lawmaker

rooster59

Pelosi hits Trump over use of 9/11 images to criticize Muslim lawmaker

By Jan Wolfe

800x800 (2).jpg

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) addresses the North America's Building Trades Unions (NABTU) 2019 legislative conference in Washington, U.S., April 9, 2019. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon

(Reuters) - U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi criticized President Donald Trump on Saturday for a Twitter post that used 9/11 imagery while suggesting Democratic Congresswoman Ilhan Omar, a Muslim, was dismissive of the New York attacks.

"The memory of 9/11 is sacred ground, and any discussion of it must be done with reverence," Pelosi said in a statement posted on Twitter. "The President shouldn't use the painful images of 9/11 for a political attack."

On Friday, Trump tweeted a video suggesting that Omar, a U.S. representative from Minnesota, was dismissive of the Sept. 11 attacks.

The video spliced news footage of 9/11 with a clip from a speech Omar gave last month in which she described the terror attack as "some people did something."

The Trump tweet included the words "WE WILL NEVER FORGET!"

In Omar's speech, given to a Muslim civil rights and advocacy group, she said Muslims had "lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen and, frankly, I'm tired of it, and every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it."

Omar said the advocacy group recognized that "some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties."

Lawmakers from Trump's Republican party have accused Omar of minimizing the 9/11 attacks, while critics of the president say he took Omar's words out of context in order to stoke anti-Muslim sentiment.

"No one person – no matter how corrupt, inept, or vicious – can threaten my unwavering love for America," Omar wrote in a tweet on Saturday. "I stand undeterred to continue fighting for equal opportunity in our pursuit of happiness for all Americans."

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-14

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Kasane said:

Two wrongs don't make a right.

And for equivalance, the term is "Christian terrorist".

I don't agree. White nationalist terrorists are not necessarily motivated by their view of Christian dogma. Sometimes that is in the mix, but not by definition. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Trump tweet included the words "WE WILL NEVER FORGET!"

I think actually Trump was referring to his observation back when the Twin Towers fell that Trump's 71-story building “40 Wall Street" blocks away from the collapsed twin tower once again became the tallest building in downtown Manhattan!  https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/trump-hillary-clinton-september-11-911-attacks-nyc-214236

For Trump it was all about real estate - not people.

• Confused 1

I think this the congresswoman's speech is being blown way out of proportion. She was speaking to a Muslim crowd. Yes, she should know by now that everything she says will be potentially used by the 45 fans. But she acknowledged implicitly that the 911 terrorists were indeed Muslim and she also acknowledged implicitly that what they did was very bad. Yes, given that people are watching her now she should have used the word terrorists, but, again the fact that she didn't is being cynically overblown. 

This reminds me somewhat of something Jews say when one of our own does something shameful and damaging to the public perception of all Jews, such as Bernie Madoff. That phrase is bad for the Jews. It's implied that Madoff was a horrible criminal because the phrase is meant for a Jewish audience. OK, probably not the best example because Madoff's victims were other Jews, but I'm taking about the public perception part of it to the rest of the population. 

There is no doubt in the context of this topic that the actions of Islamic terrorists are bad for the Muslims that are not associated with Islamic terrorism, of course the vast majority of them, especially among American Muslims. That's kind of what she was saying. Some Muslims did 911 and the reputation of all American Muslims was UNFAIRLY damaged. That's the truth and I see nothing wrong with voicing that. Nothing at all. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

this antisemite muslim democrat ilhan omar must apologise to the usa public for her viral opinion about 9/11. 

wbr

roobaa01

No, she doesn't need to do any such thing. 

I don't have an opinion of whether she's an antisemite or not. That would mean looking into her intensions as her speech though sometimes borderline is not exactly super explicit in that.

I'm not naïve though. Look at any survey of international Muslims and the rates of hating Jews are very, very high, but I truly think less so among American Muslims. 

Let's take care and not overly weaponize accusations antisemitism in a specifically PARTISAN way as seems to have happened to an extreme degree in the UK. In truth, antisemitic expression comes from all political perspectives, right and left. Remember Charlottesville and Pittsburgh. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No, she doesn't need to do any such thing. 

I don't have an opinion of whether she's an antisemite or not. That would mean looking into her intensions as he speech though sometimes borderline is not exactly explicit in that.

Let's take care and not over weaponize accusations antisemitism in a specifically PARTISAN way as seems to have happened to an extreme degree in the UK. In truth, antisemitic expression comes from all political perspectives, right and left. 

like two other dems muslim tlaib, omar is dem 2020 fakelatino beto antisemite as the dem party has become an antisemite infested party with these antisemite people and their remarks about the jewish country israel. another dem muslim antisemite is sansour. all these dem antisemite muslims sansour, tlaib, omar relate to farakhan.

they owe the us public an apology for 9/11.

wbr

roobaa01

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

this antisemite muslim democrat ilhan omar must apologise to the usa public for her viral opinion about 9/11. 

wbr

roobaa01

I repeat, kindly do not reply to my posts. I am not permitted to post what I really think of you, sufficient to say I feel dirty reading your comments

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Yes, you're right: she does not deny 9/11 attackers were terrorists.  She merely asserts that "something" happened on 9/11.  Someone who reduces that massive tragedy to merely "something" should not be holding public office in the United States.  This downplaying of 3000 deaths is open treachery.  

And more fool those Americans who fail to condemn her outrageous behaviour.

That's your spin, as well as by others. Read the link I provided which does not support the above narrative.

• Haha 1

like two other dems muslim tlaib, omar is dem 2020 fakelatino beto antisemite as the dem party has become an antisemite infested party with these antisemite people and their remarks about the jewish country israel. another dem muslim antisemite is sansour. all these dem antisemite muslims sansour, tlaib, omar relate to farakhan.

wbr
roobaa01
Lies. The democratic is not an antisemitic party or an anti-Israel party. They do tend to be more critical of the right wing elements in Israel but that's not the same thing as being anti Israel.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

wbr

roobaa01

OK, in English please.

• Confused 1