Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

8 hours ago, xylophone said:

Might as well close this thread as it has gone nowhere and is going nowhere.

In its place could be one named; "Do you believe in Santa Claus and why".........one bunch of folk saying they do and another saying they don't. Either way the argument would be about something which doesn't exist/an imaginary being, so the end result would be the same as this thread, both arguing about something which doesn't exist......sorted!

Oooor....since you have nothing worthy to contribute, you could simply disappear. Sorted.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I experienced one such in Ireland, at a place called Mellifont.

Interesting, i have heard respected masters talking about Ireland as a special place.

Can you say something more about your experience?

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I experienced one such in Ireland, at a place called Mellifont.

I think the Earth has energy lines with hotspots (concentrated energy area) and cold spots (areas where you feel uneasy), similar to the energy lines in our bodies (nadis, chakras, acupuncture points).
I also believe that a place can absorb psychic energy, especially when it's coupled with strong emotions/intentions.

I found such a place when I visited the amazing underground "Temples of Humankind" in Damanhur, north of Italy. If you are ever in Italy, I wholeheartedly recommend visiting Damanhur. Even as an atheist/materialist, one can not remain unperturbed by the sheer beauty of it.
Video documentary here.

Likewise, any place of worship will absorb or be imprinted with the thought patterns of the people there.

CABINET / Paradise Found

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

I have been reading about "energy lines", as a sort of an invisible grid of 'spiritual vibes", as you call them, but i remain a bit skeptical.

I was in Benares 40 years ago, holy place on the river Gange in India, and i was disappointed if not almost shocked, but it was rainy season.

In Vrindavan, despite the good weather and the good vibes, there was still something wrong.

Perhaps too much expectation..

..But whenever i see an old tree, especially if the sky is clear, i perceive good energy. 

Trees is magic, they bending physics's by grow taller than 10 meters which should be impossible sucking water above that height. Still buffles scientists how they do it.

I know you do not like youtube, so this one is for everyone else who is interested! 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Trees is magic, they bending physics's by grow taller than 10 meters which should be impossible sucking water above that height. Still buffles scientists how they do it.

I know you do not like youtube, so this one is for everyone else who is interested! 

Hey, it's not that i don't like youtube !

I just prefer to hear your ( and other posters) direct perception of reality. 

I may have a look at this video though ????

On 2/18/2023 at 3:11 AM, xylophone said:

Might as well close this thread as it has gone nowhere and is going nowhere.

In its place could be one named; "Do you believe in Santa Claus and why".

Agree. Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, the tooth fairy, gods (10,000+ and counting), a boat which took onboard every animal because of a flood... f f s... please shut this fairy tale thread down 

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Agree. Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, the tooth fairy, gods (10,000+ and counting), a boat which took onboard every animal because of a flood... f f s... please shut this fairy tale thread down 

I'm not a big fan of pot, but I don't go into the pot threads and ask them to shut it down.

Why does it bother you so much that the thread should continue?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

I'm not a big fan of pot, but I don't go into the pot threads and ask them to shut it down.

Amazing eh... and it's not the 1st time some people ask to close the thread.

I have some idea, but i don't want to offend those gentlemen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I can answer that. Besides, he wouldn't be able to identify and verbalise the real reason anyway. 

In a nutshell....

It's because small minds can't handle big thoughts. They start to spin uncontrollably and land on their backs, in a state of stupor and unable to move for a long time. Sometimes it's irreversible.

So, to avoid going through all that, they start to see threads like this as life threatening and will do whatever they can to stop big ideas from spreading.

These specimen can become quite aggressive in the process. 

It is recommended to avoid contact and don't disturb them in their natural habitat (often called "bars"). If they do come closer, then just ignore them and walk away. Thankfully, they usually lose interest and return to their stools quite fast.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Sunmaster

Keep believing that a wooden boat that took onboard 2 of every animal in the same way as children believe in the tooth fairy. May one of the 10,000+ gods currently out there ‘bless’ you for that.  ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ????‍⬛ ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Keep believing that a wooden boat that took onboard 2 of every animal in the same way as children believe in the tooth fairy. May one of the 10,000+ gods currently out there ‘bless’ you for that.  ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ????‍⬛ ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? 

People believe alchohol and pot will mske their life better, as well living in remote places or in more urban cities alike Pattays.

In fact it is proved believing in something actually improved peoples life. No matter what your poison is, dont take it to far! 

Haters will always be haters ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

It is recommended to avoid contact and don't disturb them in their natural habitat (often called "bars"). If they do come closer, then just ignore them and walk away. Thankfully, they usually lose interest and return to their stools quite fast.

it's quite an interesting phenomenon taking place here.

the thread seems to be seriously bothering some people.

your analysis is probably not far off the mark. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

it's quite an interesting phenomenon taking place here.

the thread seems to be seriously bothering some people.

your analysis is probably not far off the mark. 

No it's not really an interesting phenomenon taking place, it's just that there are levelheaded people who don't believe in fairy stories, and find it pitiful/painful when others continue to believe, when they should have gotten out of this habit years ago after discovering that Santa Claus wasn't real.

I don't see what the other rabid fairy story believers post, because I have them all on "ignore", however from your reply it would seem that one of them actually believes the old "barstool" tale, when there are probably others like me, who haven't been near a barstool in ages, and who only have one or two beers a week, and don't sit in bars all day. So much for that fairytale.

I agree with the post by @Nemesis, and normal, levelheaded people think likewise, and realise that the bible and its contents are very much like a Spider-Man series – – entertaining but impossible. Having said that, these folk are certain that these things happened and I even had one person on this forum come on and challenge a cartoon I posted about, "some folks even believe that penguins walked all the way from the Antarctic to get on a boat built by a 500 year old man", whereby he put forward arguments that suggested they could, would you believe!

To round it all off, in pagan times, corn dollies were seen as containing the spirits that would enable a good crop and the way of determining whether a woman was a witch or not was to throw her in the water and if she surfaced, it was seen that the water didn't want her because she was a witch, whereas if she drowned, then the water did want her.....a nonsense thought process but it appealed to them. And nowadays folks have supposedly moved on??

And of course there are the "godly" institutions which do everything they can to protect their paedophile priests and vicars, so in effect they are free to do their evil deeds again. A bit like an evil brotherhood for want of better terminology.

Finally, it doesn't seriously bother me, but what does is the fact that people can be so stupid as to believe in fairy stories in this day and at their age.

Stupidity has no bounds, and this was reported today:  "A pastor has died after going 25 days without food and water while trying to fast like Jesus".

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, xylophone said:

No it's not really an interesting phenomenon taking place, it's just that there are levelheaded people who don't believe in fairy stories, and find it pitiful/painful when others continue to believe, when they should have gotten out of this habit years ago after discovering that Santa Claus wasn't real.

I don't see what the other rabid fairy story believers post, because I have them all on "ignore", however from your reply it would seem that one of them actually believes the old "barstool" tale, when there are probably others like me, who haven't been near a barstool in ages, and who only have one or two beers a week, and don't sit in bars all day. So much for that fairytale.

I agree with the post by @Nemesis, and normal, levelheaded people think likewise, and realise that the bible and its contents are very much like a Spider-Man series – – entertaining but impossible. Having said that, these folk are certain that these things happened and I even had one person on this forum come on and challenge a cartoon I posted about, "some folks even believe that penguins walked all the way from the Antarctic to get on a boat built by a 500 year old man", whereby he put forward arguments that suggested they could, would you believe!

To round it all off, in pagan times, corn dollies were seen as containing the spirits that would enable a good crop and the way of determining whether a woman was a witch or not was to throw her in the water and if she surfaced, it was seen that the water didn't want her because she was a witch, whereas if she drowned, then the water did want her.....a nonsense thought process but it appealed to them. And nowadays folks have supposedly moved on??

And of course there are the "godly" institutions which do everything they can to protect their paedophile priests and vicars, so in effect they are free to do their evil deeds again. A bit like an evil brotherhood for want of better terminology.

Finally, it doesn't seriously bother me, but what does is the fact that people can be so stupid as to believe in fairy stories in this day and at their age.

You go on complaining about the bible, the church, religion, paedophiles and whatnot in your long post, when the reality is that in the history of this long thread, there have only been 2 posters (as far as I remember) who were bible thumpers, and they left a long time ago.
The rest of us is on very different wavelengths and we mainly discuss psychology, spirituality, ecology, sociology, consciousness and more. 
But why let truth get in the way of a good Sunday morning rambling, right?

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

You go on complaining about the bible, the church, religion, paedophiles and whatnot in your long post, when the reality is that in the history of this long thread, there have only been 2 posters (as far as I remember) who were bible thumpers, and they left a long time ago.
The rest of us is on very different wavelengths and we mainly discuss psychology, spirituality, ecology, sociology, consciousness. 
But why let truth get in the way of a good Sunday morning rambling, right?

Thank you,  and also biology and physics which have an important role in the big picture as well 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

when the reality is that in the history of this long thread, there have only been 2 posters (as far as I remember) who were bible thumpers, and they left a long time ago.
The rest of us is on very different wavelengths

There are still reasonably frequent quotes from the bible in this thread from those that you likely wouldn't deem bible thumpers, used to justify / explain their beliefs in their spiritual god.

Cut out the need to refer to a story book in your quest to prove your grown-up spiritualism and then perhaps it might be harder to knock?

42 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Stupidity has no bounds, and this was reported today:  "A pastor has died after going 25 days without food and water while trying to fast like Jesus".

OK Let's start with the assumption that everything is physical. We are just our bodies. We all want a full life with those bodies. It is interesting to see how a Christian, a spiritualist, a hippy new ager and an atheist such as yourself adapt to life on this planet. It's not so easy to look in the mirror and say I am likely to or are going to die in 30, 20, or 10 years. That there's no moral watchdog.

Religion for some seems to take the pressure off .. lets them walk with head held high.. make better life decisions. For others that is not the case.

The price to pay is faith .. closing your eyes to statistically the most likely facts of the matter and likely outcome. Now some here have had experiences which they believe gives them both belief in god without resorting to faith. That can be debated. My point is a debate about god doesn't have to be just about the ludicrousness of Noah's Ark or similar. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

OK Let's start with the assumption that everything is physical. We are just our bodies. We all want a full life with those bodies. It is interesting to see how a Christian, a spiritualist, a hippy new ager and an atheist such as yourself adapt to life on this planet. It's not so easy to look in the mirror and say I am likely to or are going to die in 30, 20, or 10 years. That there's no moral watchdog.

Religion for some seems to take the pressure off .. lets them walk with head held high.. make better life decisions. For others that is not the case.

The price to pay is faith .. closing your eyes to statistically the most likely facts of the matter and likely outcome. Now some here have had experiences which they believe gives them both belief in god without resorting to faith. That can be debated. My point is a debate about god doesn't have to be just about the ludicrousness of Noah's Ark or similar. 

A very good post may I say...........given me food for thought so I will opt out of reading this thread and leave others to it!!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

There are still reasonably frequent quotes from the bible in this thread from those that you likely wouldn't deem bible thumpers, used to justify / explain their beliefs in their spiritual god.

Cut out the need to refer to a story book in your quest to prove your grown-up spiritualism and then perhaps it might be harder to knock?

Everyting is not wrong in the bible, it is a tool book for living in another time, it is a law book to control people in a time where it was a need for people to cooperate to create stable nations, and  great tool to make people pull in the same direction, for good and bad.

I really do not believe the history would had been much different if there was no Jesus christ, or no one god religion. 

Humans nature is cruel and egoistic, and I believe my good life came as a result of the culture and the religion that formed generations, who finely created my grandparents, who is the generation who formed my time. My parents generation and my generation have used 60 years to brake everything down, instead of preserving the golden area. In my opinion, thats where everything went wrong, because we had it all. We had a future, everyone could get education, work, or do whatever they wanted without risking it all. There where room for mistakes, but, jeez

Edited by Hummin

25 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Everyting is not wrong in the bible,

I would 100% agree. I would also say that if someone's best quotations need to come from a book that is clearly mostly fable / fairy tale then they might want to look for a more reputable source.

A few times it has been suggested that this thread is almost worthless. I'm erring on that side and only now posting when I literally have time to kill. It is a two hemisphere echo chamber with little but headbanging.

The non-believers position is often "you can't prove what doesn't exist" or "your belief is nothing but a fairy tale", with the believers being "if you haven't experienced it then you cannot possibly understand", or "science doesn't have all the answers".

If this is true, the two diametrically opposed positions can almost certainly never reach accord, hence a discussion is almost meaningless. However it is still better than two separate threads containing two echo chambers. One the believers and the other the non-believers, existing purely to pat each other on the back.

Edited by Woof999
spelling
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

I honestly don't know to whom you're referring to. Most certainly not to me, since I've never quoted the bible to make any of my points. In fact, I argued against the bible thumpers (those that take the allegories literally and damn you eternal hell for not believing as they do) as fiercely as any of the atheists/materialists.
However, if someone uses bible quotes to make a point in an open and respectful discussion, then I have no problems with that. Like Hummin said, there is a lot of truth in the bible, but one has to use discernment and not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Dismissing it as purely a tool for power or fairytales is equally wrong and shortsighted as taking it literally and making it the source of all your knowledge. 

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

However it is still better than two separate threads containing two echo chambers. One the believers and the other the non-believers, existing purely to pat each other on the back.

Thanks, but i don't need pats on the back, and I'm fairly sure that the other "spiritual searchers " here don't need it either. 

If you had bothered to read a few posts on this thread, you would know that there is no identity of views here, and in some case not even affinity. 

On the other hand, there's someone who judges the book without even reading it, so to speak, how pathetic is that ?

Just now, mauGR1 said:

Thanks, but i don't need pats on the back, and I'm fairly sure that the other "spiritual searchers " here don't need it either. 

If you had bothered to read a few posts on this thread, you would know that there is no identity of views here, and in some case not even affinity. 

On the other hand, there's someone who judges the book without even reading it, so to speak, how pathetic is that ?

How spiritual.

I'm working on a drawing that (I hope) can illustrate some concepts that are forming in my mind. I won't post pictures of the actual work for now, but I'd like to share a few details of the concepts to get them out there and maybe with the help of your feedback, fine-tune them.

The following concepts are nothing new, but I will expand them further to include even wider ideas and their implications.

So, this is us. Sitting on a tiny island (the tip of the iceberg - our conscious mind), interacting with the material world through our ego and our outer senses. Underneath the waterline is our subconscious....that mysterious, messy realm we are being told is there, but have no real knowledge of it. Most of us, at least.

Most of us spend our lives concentrating on what can be perceived by the 5 outer senses. Every last bit of energy is used to explore, interact and make sense of this world. That's what we were taught from the moment we are born as a way to secure our survival in this world. Most people never venture under the waterline. We are not taught to explore this territory, which is a part of us, just like the visible iceberg tip. 

There is fear involved when it comes to diving down into the dark and unknown waters of the subconscious, and the automatic responses to this fear are denial, ridicule, anger and aggression. We have plenty of examples of that in this thread.
In a sense, I would say that everything beneath the waterline is commonly labeled as "spiritual". In its widest sense though, the term "spiritual" would also include the material world. 

Now, as I mentioned in a previous post, for some reason some people are attracted to the subconscious and seek to explore and understand it. To do this there is a plethora of tools available: from psychology and psychotherapy, to art therapy, dreamwork, all kinds of New Age workshops, shamanism, entheogenic substances, religion (prayer, contemplation), spirituality (yoga/meditation) and many many more.
Not all tools are created equal and their effectiveness varies greatly. 
What they all have in common though, is the fact that they recognize this hidden part of man and set out to explore it. 

Thoughts so far?

iceberg1.jpg

Edited by Sunmaster

2 hours ago, Woof999 said:

I would 100% agree. I would also say that if someone's best quotations need to come from a book that is clearly mostly fable / fairy tale then they might want to look for a more reputable source.

A few times it has been suggested that this thread is almost worthless. I'm erring on that side and only now posting when I literally have time to kill. It is a two hemisphere echo chamber with little but headbanging.

The non-believers position is often "you can't prove what doesn't exist" or "you're belief is nothing but a fairy tale", with the believers being "if you haven't experienced it then you cannot possibly understand", or "science doesn't have all the answers".

If this is true, the two diametrically opposed positions can almost certainly never reach accord, hence a discussion is almost meaningless. However it is still better than two separate threads containing two echo chambers. One the believers and the other the non-believers, existing purely to pat each other on the back.

That's the nature of the theme, and this topic is for special interested. Same as old Thai Visa now Asean Now is only for special interested. All old topics seems to renew itself camouflaged as new topics, and the same people say the same things as they did in the last topic of same nature.

The fairytale is pure happiness in Thailand, but we all know that's not true. If we had more than enough money than we needed, we would not have lived in Thailand. We all live and build  our own illusions, and I just can not understand anyone have the right to demand this thread dead who nearly have participated to soon 16 000 posts, with very little moderation and no admin threatening to stop it. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Love It 1