Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

6 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I don't think we are but we are through scientific study becoming more aware of how to formulate what we don't know. What Donald Hoffman shows is the theoretical mechanics of 'what is' but not WHY or even HOW, he says himself in interviews that of course he is just as trapped as everyone else even though when he looks at an apple he knows it is a semblance of conscious agents and not the reality that he experiences, he can't experience a conscious agent, he sees an apple just as he has evolved to see. We don't have the tool box to see reality, if we did we wouldn't exist. The mystery will therefore always remain, hence humanity's need for religion. Tom Campbell with his trilogy of 'My Big Toe' goes even further than Donald Hoffman but for me that is more in the realm of theoretical thinking than theoretical physics, in a sort of convoluted way of thinking I have considered a connection to Hinduism in his way of thinking, he has a path of higher and higher hierarchies, 'free will units of consciousness' from 'seperate units of consciousness' with data streams that go to the absolute unit of consciousness with perhaps another higher data stream, it's difficult to follow because language can't be used to describe everything so metaphors have to be used. I don't think it is necessary to KNOW, it's just interesting to consider that our death will be just as virtual as our life. Perhaps some mystica are able to,if not see reality, realize it fully for themselves, Nisargadatta an indian mystic once pointed to the earth with one hand and to the sky with another saying "I am That''

Yes. Isn't all this what i.e. Hinduism has been saying all along? This reality is Maya

Maya, (Sanskrit: “magic” or “illusion”) a fundamental concept in Hindu philosophy, notably in the Advaita (Nondualist) school of Vedanta.

Brahman, on the other hand, is what is behind Maya and also the source of Maya (the illusion).

You say we don't have the toolbox to see reality as it really is (see Brahman). Truth is, we all have this toolbox! Even Jesus said that “The kingdom of God does not come with observation; nor will they say, ‘See here!’ or ‘See there!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you”.

All mystic traditions point to Brahman and say we all can experience it. It's the goal of yoga and meditation. Thousands of books have been written about it and 1000s of years of accumulated knowledge about it exist.

53 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Why you so mean? Only 8 people survied the big flood. You did not read the great book Sir?

Lots and lots of books which is why I am a sceptic, I've even read all the Harry Potter books but I don't believe there is a Hogwarts.

• Haha 2

Just now, Sunmaster said:

Yes. Isn't all this what i.e. Hinduism has been saying all along? This reality is Maya

Maya, (Sanskrit: “magic” or “illusion”) a fundamental concept in Hindu philosophy, notably in the Advaita (Nondualist) school of Vedanta.

Brahman, on the other hand, is what is behind Maya and also the source of Maya (the illusion).

You say we don't have the toolbox to see reality as it really is (see Brahman). Truth is, we all have this toolbox! Even Jesus said that “The kingdom of God does not come with observation; nor will they say, ‘See here!’ or ‘See there!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you”.

All mystic traditions point to Brahman and say we all can experience it. It's the goal of yoga and meditation. Thousands of books have been written about it and 1000s of years of accumulated knowledge about it exist.

Yes I agree there, 'experience it' but without any real knowledge of what is experienced, describe the taste of chocolate. All the mystics (Jesus was a misunderstood mystic) point to a truth, they are pointing towards the road to London but they aren't in London, they are saying this is the way there and everybody mistakes the road for London.

A god (depending on the context also goddess) or deity is usually referred to as a supernatural being who has a great and not scientifically describable transcendent power.

In the understanding of mythologies, religions and beliefs, special worship and attributes are attributed to one or more gods, often including the property of being the first origin, creator or creator of reality.

Even ideas of a non-essential, impersonal "divine power" are sometimes referred to as God - due to a lack of understanding of foreign religions or for reasons of simplification.

With God without further determination, an all-encompassing God is usually designated. Metaphysics also deals with the question of the properties and existence of such a god.

Depending on personal competence in relation to telepathy, telekinesis or the materialization by mental power, the healing of serious illnesses by mental power, supernatural perceptions, or actions....

The question sometimes arises whether the skills of a so-called god are, if only partially, in a person , or a person is a god in himself, a creator or something similar.

Back to the direct question.

If man is not a so-called god in himself, there should be no doubt that there must be a god or a creator.

In view of the diversity and the complex structure of any kind on our planet.

Ultimately, it could be discussed whether this god then exists as a creator in another dimension, which is often referred to as heaven, or it may be that this god represents a life form that may not come from our earth, i.e. simply an extraterrestrial being.

More detailed explanations can be found in reports of near-death experiences or in meditative out-of-body experiences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Lots and lots of books which is why I am a sceptic, I've even read all the Harry Potter books but I don't believe there is a Hogwarts.

My favorite is Marco Polos travels, it had a huge impact on my life reading that at 11 years old. I believed every word written in it at that time. 

My post was ironic the one you first answered to. 

Yes I agree there, 'experience it' but without any real knowledge of what is experienced, describe the taste of chocolate. All the mystics (Jesus was a misunderstood mystic) point to a truth, they are pointing towards the road to London but they aren't in London, they are saying this is the way there and everybody mistakes the road for London.

Yes. They have "been there" and then pointed out the path they took so that others may follow in their footsteps. 
'experience it' but without any real knowledge of what is experienced.
That's why I think it's important to practice/experience under the supervision of a teacher, because they can help us make sense of what has been experienced.

37 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Related image

???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? 

What does that number means man? 

Number 5000 represents a spectrum of energies of number 5

The Five in the message of heaven in this case is a warning. It warns that even the manifestations of the best qualities must remain within reason. Your constant desire for absolute independence has a negative effect on your well-being. Haven’t you noticed it yourself?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, snatur said:

A god (depending on the context also goddess) or deity is usually referred to as a supernatural being who has a great and not scientifically describable transcendent power.

In the understanding of mythologies, religions and beliefs, special worship and attributes are attributed to one or more gods, often including the property of being the first origin, creator or creator of reality.

Even ideas of a non-essential, impersonal "divine power" are sometimes referred to as God - due to a lack of understanding of foreign religions or for reasons of simplification.

With God without further determination, an all-encompassing God is usually designated. Metaphysics also deals with the question of the properties and existence of such a god.

Depending on personal competence in relation to telepathy, telekinesis or the materialization by mental power, the healing of serious illnesses by mental power, supernatural perceptions, or actions....

The question sometimes arises whether the skills of a so-called god are, if only partially, in a person , or a person is a god in himself, a creator or something similar.

Back to the direct question.

If man is not a so-called god in himself, there should be no doubt that there must be a god or a creator.

In view of the diversity and the complex structure of any kind on our planet.

Ultimately, it could be discussed whether this god then exists as a creator in another dimension, which is often referred to as heaven, or it may be that this god represents a life form that may not come from our earth, i.e. simply an extraterrestrial being.

More detailed explanations can be found in reports of near-death experiences or in meditative out-of-body experiences.

basically one could call anything that seems supernatural due to not understanding it 'God' Electricity, the sun etc. If as Donald Hoffman says physics should be turned on its head and not material but consciousness is the basis of everything then one could call consciousness God, I think it's a simplification through not understanding what consciousness is or how it arrived, so then there is a God that created consciousness and a higher God that created God. I think we are trapped in the human way of thinking, everything has a beginning and an end, everything must have been made, we partition everything into start and finish possibly due to our own mortality. A dream has a beginning and an end but is it real, the experience of the dream is real but does that make it reality? It has been said that whatever is real can't have a beginning nor an end must be unchanging and everlasting, doesn't sound like me or the universe. If space-time is an illusion as postulated by some physicists then nothing is real, not even the illusion exists, an illusion is not nothing it is mistaken identity of something. Alone our way of thinking stands in the way of knowing truth and I don't think we want to know it.

10 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

I love wine too but there isn't enuff wine in France to make me believe a 600 yr old drunk dude built a boat with 1 window and herded all those species, from all over the world, inside and rode out a global flood, which never actually took place! ????:clap2:

You can make fun of it if you like, but huge catastrophes happened in the past.

The Bible tale is surely inaccurate, and Noah and family were most probably not the only ones to survive, but there are other sources that you can find if you bother to have a look.

The history as we know will most probably be completely rewritten in the next few decades (that if an asteroid doesn't hit again )

• Like 1

Just now, mauGR1 said:

You can make fun of it if you like, but huge catastrophes happened in the past.

The Bible tale is surely inaccurate, and Noah and family were most probably not the only ones to survive, but there are other sources that you can find if you bother to have a look.

The history as we know will most probably be completely rewritten in the next few decades (that if an asteroid doesn't hit again )

I think all societies have a flood story, there is archeological proof of the flood in neolithic UK, doesn't mean it was God made due to the wickedness of mankind (what about all the newborn babies of the time or the animals who by nature can't be classed as wicked)

Then there were the volcanic eruptions in Siberia, the 'Siberian traps' around 250 million years ago and lasted for 2 million years, long before Homo sapiens but life in some forms or other survived although 95% of life then was wiped out, given half a chance life is resilient. During the time of Homo Sapiens There were great volcanic eruptions that almost put an end to mankind (the genetic bottleneck survives to this day). The ash record deep underground is particularly prominent in India, sharp glasslike residue which must have destroyed the lungs of anything breathing, the sky world wide must have been blanketed for years and yet a few of us survived praying no doubt to the God of that era.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I think all societies have a flood story, there is archeological proof of the flood in neolithic UK, doesn't mean it was God made due to the wickedness of mankind (what about all the newborn babies of the time or the animals who by nature can't be classed as wicked)

Then there were the volcanic eruptions in Siberia, the 'Siberian traps' around 250 million years ago and lasted for 2 million years, long before Homo sapiens but life in some forms or other survived although 95% of life then was wiped out, given half a chance life is resilient. During the time of Homo Sapiens There were great volcanic eruptions that almost put an end to mankind (the genetic bottleneck survives to this day). The ash record deep underground is particularly prominent in India, sharp glasslike residue which must have destroyed the lungs of anything breathing, the sky world wide must have been blanketed for years and yet a few of us survived praying no doubt to the God of that era.

Yes, lots to learn about the history of the planet, i find the frozen mammouth carcasses very interesting.

Was it a sudden pole shift followed by mega tsunamis ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

Yes. They have "been there" and then pointed out the path they took so that others may follow in their footsteps. 
'experience it' but without any real knowledge of what is experienced.
That's why I think it's important to practice/experience under the supervision of a teacher, because they can help us make sense of what has been experienced.

How can you teach that which can't be taught, 'enlightenment' must include the death of 'me' and above all else the ego doesn't want to die. Clarity can be taught or the path to it but not enlightenment. My opinion is that the handful of people throughout history who could be called enlightened were born that way or at least the potential was always there as a genetic mutation of the brain and they usually didn't end well, the German christian theologian and mystic Meister Eckhart in the 1200's only survived being tried for heresy by dying before his trial. Speaking the truth about your religion no matter which one was usually repaid with torture and death.

• Like 1

How can you teach that which can't be taught, 'enlightenment' must include the death of 'me' and above all else the ego doesn't want to die. Clarity can be taught or the path to it but not enlightenment. My opinion is that the handful of people throughout history who could be called enlightened were born that way or at least the potential was always there as a genetic mutation of the brain and they usually didn't end well, the German christian theologian and mystic Meister Eckhart in the 1200's only survived being tried for heresy by dying before his trial. Speaking the truth about your religion no matter which one was usually repaid with torture and death.

Hmm, I guess you're right: enlightenment can't be taught, but the steps necessary to clear the path to reveal the state of enlightenment yes. That's why those who have reached that state claim that we are all already enlightened. We just haven't realized it yet.
I think enlightenment is not just a thing of the past, why would it be? There have been reports throughout all of history of such people and they exist up to this day.

A short list of the best known masters:

NAME YEAR COUNTRY SPIRITUAL TRADITION
Adi Shankara 788-820 India Advaita Vedanta
Adyashanti 1962-Present United States Zen
Amma 1953-Present India Vedas
Ashtavakra Unknown India Vedas
Atisha 980-1054 Bangladesh Buddhism
Baal Shem Tov 1704-1772 Poland Judaism
Bahá'u'lláh 1817-1892 Iran Bahá'í Faith
Bahaudin 1318-1389 Uzbekistan Sufi
Basho 1644-1694 Japan Zen
Bayazid Bastami 804-874 Iran Sufi
Bernadette Roberts 1931-Present United States Christianity
Bodhidharma 5th Century CE India Zen
Buddha 483-400 BCE Nepal Buddhism; 
Chandrakirti 600-650 India Buddhism
Chuang Tzu 369-286 BCE China Taoism
Dadu Dayal 1544-1603 India Advaita Vedanta
Dogen 1200-1253 Japan Zen
Eckhart Tolle 1948-Present Germany Eclectic
Franklin Merrell-Wolff 1887-1985 United States Advaita Vedanta
Gangaji 1942-Present United States Advaita Vedanta
Gendun Gyatso Palzangpo 1492-1552 Tibet Buddhism
George Gurdjieff 1866-1949 Russia Fourth Way
Gopi Krishna 1903-1984 India Yoga
Hakim Sanai 1131-1141 Afghanistan Sufi
Hakuin 1686-1769 Japan Zen
Heraclitus 535-475 BCE Greece Philosopher
Huang-po Unknown-850 China Zen
Hui-Neng 638-713 China Zen
Hyakujo 720-814 China Zen
Ibn Arabi 1165-1240 Syria Sufi
Jean Klein 1912-1998 France Advaita Vedanta
Jesus Christ 4 BC - 33 CE Israel Christianity; 
Jiddu Krishnamurti 1895-1986 India Advaita Vedanta
Jnaneshvar 1275-1296 India Yoga
Joshu Jushin 778-897 China Zen
Kabir 1140-1518 India Bhakti
Kapila Unknown India Vedas
Krishna Unknown India Vedas
Kyozan 1907-Current Japan Zen
Lao Tzu 5th Century BC China Taoism
Mahakashyapa 5th Century BC India Buddhism
Mahavira 540-468 BC India Jainism
Mansur Al-Hallaj 858-922 Iran Sufi
Marpa Lotsawa 1012-1097 India Buddhism
Marshall Vian Summers 1949-Present United States New Message from God; 
Meera 1498-Unknown India Bhakti
Meher Baba 1894-1969 India Advaita Vedanta
Meister Eckhart 1260-1327 Germany Christianity
Milarepa 1052-1135 Tibet Buddhism
Mooji 1969-Present Jamaica Advaita Vedanta
Moses 1393-1273 BCE Egypt Judaism
Mother Meera 1960-Present India Bhakti
Muhammad 570-632 Saudi Arabia Islam; 
Nagarjuna 150-250 India Buddhism
Nanak 1469-1539 India Sikhism
Nansen Fugan 749-835 China Zen
Narada Unknown India Vedas
Naropa 1016-1100 India Buddhism
Nicholas of Cusa 1404-1461 German Christianity
Nisargadatta 1897-1981 India Advaita Vedanta
Omar Khayyam 1048-1131 Iran Sufi
Osho 1931-1990 India Eclectic
Paramahansa Yogananda 1893-1952 India Advaita Vedanta
Philo Judaeus 20-50 BCE Egypt Judaism
Plotinus 204-270 Egypt Philosopher
Pythagoras 570-495 BCE Greece Philosopher
Rabindranath Tagore 1861-1941 India Advaita Vedanta
Rajneesh 1960- India Osho
Ramana Maharshi 1879-1950 India Advaita Vedanta
Ramesh Balsekar 1917-2009 India Advaita Vedanta
Rinzai Unknown - 866 China Zen
Robert Adams 1928-1997 United States Advaita Vedanta
Rumi 1207-1273 Tajikistan Sufi
Sadhguru 1957-Present India Yoga
Sahajo Unknown India Hinduism
Sant Rasila Ram ji 1921-2011 India Radha Swami
Shankara 788-820 India Advaita Vedanta
Socrates 470-399 BCE Greece Philosopher
Sri Ramakrishna 1836-1886 India Advaita Vedanta
St. Catherine of Siena 1347-1380 Italy Christianity
St. John of the Cross 1542-1591 Spain Christianity
Subhuti 5th Century BCE India Buddhism
Swami Ramdas 1884-1963 India Advaita Vedanta
Swami Rama Tirtha 1873-1906 India Advaita Vedanta
Thomas a Kempis 1380-1471 Germany Christianity
Tilopa 988-1069 India Buddhism
Tsong Khapa 1357-1419 Tibet Buddhism
Yeshe Tsogyal 757-817 Tibet Buddhism
Zeno of Citium 334-262 BCE Greece Philosopher

Another list with more contemporaries here:
https://www.poehm.com/en/list-of-enlightened-people/

Also consider that there are many many more who we don't know about, or who weren't interested in being known.

Speaking the truth about your religion no matter which one was usually repaid with torture and death.

This is true if we talk about religions where the dogma has strayed far from their core truth or religions where the majority of believers have a very superficial understanding of the teachings....Christianity and Islam come to my mind. In fact, I just read yesterday that the Christian doctrine incorporated the notion of multiple lives/incarnation up to around 500 AD, but was than changed because the guys with the funny hats thought it would compromise their power.

From: https://www.ancient-origins.net/history/hidden-beliefs-covered-church-resurrection-and-reincarnation-early-christianity-006320

Major Medieval Alterations

In the early medieval period, the doctrines of pre-existence and reincarnation only existed as Jesus’ secret teachings. In 553 AD this information was declared heresy at the Second Council of Constantinople. The Roman Church decided to destroy all the teachings which talked about it. The Catholic doctrine and the priests’ source of wealth could have been in danger if people believed that they would come back to life many times. The old knowledge faced the same fate as many ancient books by pre-Christian writers. The bishops were afraid of the knowledge which could prove that the institution of the Church wasn't the only option to bring “eternal life” to people.

I don't think Hinduism or Buddhism would have any problems accepting the truths we're talking about. In fact, I'm pretty sure they have known them for a long time already. 

Edited by Sunmaster

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

We have a quite accurate timeline of big happenings, and for sure there will come new big chatastrophes in near future. 

for every chatastrophe we have as specie got better terms for survival, and new life have got a chance as well to develope. Im wondering how most part of humanity would manage next chatastrophe, since there have been a downfall in physics as brain for survivel. I read our brain was on top of the game 10 000 years ago, and from there we have lost basic knownledge and instincts as well and Iq refered to survivel. 

people do not have to do nothing in tidsys society to survive, just be a free passenger on the trip from start to end. And also genes that would have died of natural selection, also have a natural right to survive and reproduce for the better and worse. 

I think I have been extremely lucky to be born at exactly these time when the revolution of free thinking and freedom to travel and make choices earlier generation had only for very few priviliged and rich people! 

What would the world have been without relegion? Would it been better or worse? Looking back at especially Europe and the colonizing of the other parts of the world, it could not have been worse than it have been historical seen! The wars, the abuse, the stealing, the genocides, the slavery, ..... It is all written down in the History.

For my part of the world, we had the best last 70 years, but we see new clouds in the horizon building up, I hold my breath for the next decades

10 minutes ago, Tagged said:

We have a quite accurate timeline of big happenings

Well, this is the only part of your post which i disagree with.

Apparently carbon dating is not accurate at all, for example Stonehenge, or the Sphinx could be anywhere between 5000 or 20.000 years old.

The Bible mention human giants living on the planet at some time, other cultures and traditions all over the globe have similar stories about giants.. But if you ask any scientists, they'll probably say it's impossible.

I think we know very little about the past of humankind and the planet, considering that script is only 4/5000 years old.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

Ok. I'll try to answer this to the best of my knowledge.

"If you pose the question "I wonder what my next thought will be " wouldn't then that be your next thought? "

I would say, yes and no. It depends who is asking the question.

If you have a look at my drawing below, you'll see a 'cross section' of our inner world. It's like a cross section of the sea. On the surface you can see big waves that arise from the water, come to their apex and then disappear into the sea again. This thought forms (1,2,3,4....) are produced constantly and normally we get attracted and caught up by them.
Something like this:
I see a bottle of milk. I think I need to go buy some more. Probably will go to 7/11 around the corner. Will take the bike to go there. (TF 1)
Do I have enough gas? <deleted>, need to stop at the gas station first. Where's the money? (TF 2)
Gas has really gone up in price! When will this stop? It's very expensive as it is already. (TF3)
And my pension obviously hasn't gone up like the gas. Need to economize more. Gotta stop with the beer I guess... (TF 4).

We all get caught up in this sort of chatter, and if you ever tried to close your eyes and just witness these thought forms, you know how difficult it is not to get trapped by them and get carried away on those waves. For many, this level of consciousness is the only one there is, because it's where they spend most of the (waking) time in.

Through the practice of meditation, you learn to step back (or go deeper, under the surface) and reach levels where the waves are observable from a distance. 

This is where I think I can answer the question "I wonder what my next thought will be ".
If you can step back and become the witness of your thoughts, you don't identify with them but you identify with something else. As a witness, you can watch the thought forms arise, grow and dissipate without getting carried away by them. The witness can wonder what the next thought form will look like.

At all levels there is an "I", but what this "I" is, is different on every level. For us it is "John Snow, born 1977 in New York, doctor, husband, father...", for someone more advanced it might be "I am the witness", for a very few it might be "I am that I am".

Does this make sense to you?

81037104_445940946047515_1107543066295664640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=tsEdKj1lVZMAQkFXGfux6uN7n3jGgbW7C8uI31sT1YXTtfszThZvuNJyw&_nc_ht=scontent.fbkk5-2.fna&oh=da2f047a258fe88b7b1e9a48957f68e0&oe=5EA9ACE0

80735654_1007287516324072_3232405319116128256_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ohc=v8A_tsVr1yAAQkI_KFSvQKtkDZGWhDWiN_9jmvLNwOYms7sZfQa3jWtSg&_nc_ht=scontent.fbkk5-6.fna&oh=0447b6938c5f6ab0e66ab17418df79e9&oe=5E6A4C4A

No , I am sorry but it does not . 

" We all get caught up in this sort of chatter" not all "chatter" is this sort of transactional chatter, considering inane matters , some of it is considering that which matters, 

Thank you for taking the time to make these wonderful drawings.Meditation does clear your mind, and I know that it has beneficial influences on the mind,It certainly clears the mind from"inane Chatter" but meditation does not bring to the table that which did not already exist. It allows you to better access that which already exists.

Meditate all you want.

If you have not educated yourself the next thought will certainly be a very relaxed , clear of inane chatter, uneducated one. 

Thinking is like solving an algebraic equation graphically , the more points you plot, the closer you get to the answer.

6 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Surely that would be your current thought....

Your next thought may be something mundane or might completely change your whole life...

E.g. 2 months ago I had a thought that questioned why was I still working, it just didn't make any sense as I wasn't happy & I didn't really need the money (OK we can all do with a little more of that) so the thought came to me "Why not retire", before I had that thought I was just going through the routine day-by-day, meeting-by-meeting, meaningless bollax-by-meaningless bollax... After that 1 thought I took steps and 1 month later was retired. 

It only takes that one thought to spark you into changing your life... 

• Maybe you'll decide to quit your job or come up with a radical idea that gets you a huge promotion
  • Maybe you'll decide to leave the wife or marry the girlfriend
  • Maybe you'll invent the "Next Big Thing" or maybe you'll decide to top yourself
  • ... Or just maybe you'll decide to have  a slap up tea at Mrs Miggins Pie shop [Blackadder]

Anyway you think about it, your next thought is just that... YOURS... and that's free will 

The next thought is certainly yours . but is it? if the next thought is yours why does madison avenue exist?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ericthai said:

I've read the bible, went to catholic school, was an alter boy etc.  I understand all that.

why are we / the universe here??   

According to atheists for no reason at all. According to atheists, all the matter that formed the universe just appeared out of nothing, and evolved into suns, planets etc.

If I said to any person that I could make something out of nothing, they'd rightly think I was demented, but atheists think that however many trillions of tons of matter that it took to make the universe just magically appeared, from nowhere, and life just magically started for no apparent reason at all. Life the universe and everything is just a cosmic accident, and the laws of nature that guide everything in life the universe and everything just magically happened, for no reason at all.

Also they believe that after they die, everything they were and did in their life just becomes nothing, as there is no after life. They lived and died and it was all for nothing, apparently.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, sirineou said:

not all "chatter" is this sort of transactional chatter, considering inane matters , some of it is considering that which matters

Sure, it's not all about matters without much importance. We use our thought processes to solve important issues or make life changes as well. How often though have you heard of people who were desperately trying to find a certain solution to a math problem for example, that hard thinking brought them to a wall, and only when they stepped back, did something else and relaxed, the answer kind of came by itself? Where did it come from?

What I want to say is, there's a difference between thoughts about trivial matters and life changing thoughts. It's the intention behind them. The first take you on a rollercoaster ride, you don't control them, they control you.

The second type of thoughts are consciously constructed and focused thought forms.

No matter, when you meditate you have to take a step back from both of them.

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

All of this is just brain candy for the intellectual atheist. There is no way they are modeling creatures with different levels of reality/ awareness, that anywhere compares to actual creatures. We don't even know what we are aware of, and how much of our knowledge is instinctual or pre-programmed. We certainly can't model types of reality for other creatures. We can't even model climate accurately.

But lets give them sometime to provide evidence. They will probably discover God along the way. It's happened before.

WE only use part of our brain. No one knows what the rest is for. I hypothesise that once humans evolve to be able to use all their brain, they will understand "God", life the universe and everything.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

According to atheists for no reason at all. According to atheists, all the matter that formed the universe just appeared out of nothing, and evolved into suns, planets etc.

You must be kidding me? Never heard a selfclaimed athiest say anything close to that! A big bang is just a restart of a new universe most likely from an old collapsed one! I say most likely, since I believe in proven facts not faith or theories. Just common sense! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunmaster said:

Where did it come from?

I understand what you are saying, and appreciate it. I am all for clearing one's mind of trivial matters , allowing you to concentrate . I do it all the time. but I am also aware that it will not take me to  place that does not exist.You can vecer contemplate the number 12 , it has prerequisites, you can't do it before understanding the number 1 and the number 2.  

So : where did it come from"  It was already there. Meditation  simply cleared away the destructions. 

36 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, this is the only part of your post which i disagree with.

Apparently carbon dating is not accurate at all, for example Stonehenge, or the Sphinx could be anywhere between 5000 or 20.000 years old.

The Bible mention human giants living on the planet at some time, other cultures and traditions all over the globe have similar stories about giants.. But if you ask any scientists, they'll probably say it's impossible.

I think we know very little about the past of humankind and the planet, considering that script is only 4/5000 years old.

Well we have found many traces of giants, but no humans or alike yet! 

And I believe among scientists, the carbon dating is overall accepted. The Sphinx was built for a purpose, and most likely easy to date uppon those times when the pyramids was built. But if you consume alternative science there is alot of interesting complex history and science to read as conspirecy theories. Overload for most if you ask me. 

5 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you”.

Thank you for pointing that out. I've been trying to say that but in a way that explains it, but it's pointless, really. If someone doesn't want to even consider spirituality, why bother trying to explain it? Leading, horses and water etc.

Someone tried to use a Bertrand Russel quote to explain why God does not exist. Perhaps they would find it hard to accept that while Russel was clever in some ways he knew nothing about spirituality to say what he did.

There is no one so foolish as the person that thinks they know everything.

• Like 1